PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to drive a car just so long that it doesnt warm up?

EstoMax
05-12-2003, 10:20 PM
i mean my mom takes the bus to work and the bus stop (a park and ride station) is a 10 minute walk from our house. im wondering if its ok for her to take her car now that i have my own.. since the car will definately not have time to warm up in the 2-3 minute drive.. will it be bad for the car like that? i mean it will be left in the park and ride all day and at night she will drive it home or mab go to the store(in that case itll warm up)

max

GTS Jeff
05-12-2003, 10:26 PM
its something i would avoid. i have my reasons, but this is always a topic of controversy so ill keep those reasons to myself

FiveFreshFish
05-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Not sure what the park-and-rides are like in Seattle, but here in Calgary, they're the worst place for break-ins and car theft.

DUBBED
05-12-2003, 10:35 PM
i always let my car warm up a bit before i drive it at all....

EstoMax
05-12-2003, 10:36 PM
hmm.. intriguing. i hope this doesnt happen.. theres some nice cars parked there sometimes. like mercedes SUVs n stuff.. this is kinda a suburb though.. i dont think many thieves here. and for some reason my area is cop infested.. a stupid thief only would come here

hjr
05-12-2003, 10:37 PM
its not good for an engine to never get warmed up. Its a little worse for my datsun because im using higher temp spark plugs so if it doesnt warm up they get coated in carbon and wont fire correctly. this will happen to a lesser extent with you mom, much lesser i assume, but your right, it isnt good. thats one of the reasons why cars with hiway miles are usually better running cars than city scooters.

Super_Geo
05-13-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Lt. Max
this is kinda a suburb though.. i dont think many thieves here.

I'm sure many of us were thinking the same thing when we moved to the NW, and look at all the shit now
:rolleyes:

98type_r
05-13-2003, 09:29 AM
there is no definitive answer for your question, its all just a matter of opinion

EstoMax
05-13-2003, 10:21 AM
alright.. ill just tell her to let the car warm up a few minutes in the morning

max