PDA

View Full Version : Racing seat harnesses breaking your sholders?

dainom89
12-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Will it break your sholders if you hook them up to the ground and you get into an accident? i heard this somewhere im just seeing if its actaully true.

RickDaTuner
12-11-2006, 05:32 PM
the short answer is yes, it will also cause spinal compression fractures

dainom89
12-11-2006, 05:34 PM
So what is a good way of having them installed where this doesnt happen?

what is the difference between having them on the ground, as apposed to having a harness bar if an accident happens?

bigboom
12-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by dainom89
So what is a good way of having them installed where this doesnt happen?

what is the difference between having them on the ground, as apposed to having a harness bar if an accident happens?

its where the force is coming from...with the harness bar it is coming from parallel to your shoulder height whereas with the being bolted to the floor ofthe car it is coming from the bottom therby causing the spinal compression.

rc2002
12-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I'd be more worried about breaking my neck than my shoulders. Racing harnesses are for racing. End of discussion.

dainom89
12-11-2006, 05:42 PM
gotchaa
alright cool.. thanks for the help:)

natejj
12-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I'd be more worried about breaking my neck than my shoulders. Racing harnesses are for racing. End of discussion.

No, they are for looking cool, and adding 5 hp.

dainom89
12-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by natejj

how do you know im not talking about someone that does race?
either way it was just a question weather it was related to someone who has them on the streets or on the track.

dainom89
12-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Coming from the guy who drives a 91 acclaim :rolleyes:

Lo)2enz0
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
i am putting some in my 240sx but thats for drifting. when driving normally i hated having harness's for daily driving.

tsi_neal
12-11-2006, 06:26 PM
another thing to consider is a 5pt harness in a rollover will basically kill you if you dont have proper rollover protection.

i hate doing harnesses up at the track, i cant understand the people that use them on the street to be "cool"

Tha VZA
12-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal
another thing to consider is a 5pt harness in a rollover will basically kill you if you dont have proper rollover protection.

i hate doing harnesses up at the track, i cant understand the people that use them on the street to be "cool"

why would it kill you?

i use them in my street/track summer car because the stock seatbelts no longer held me in place with the sport seats...the angles were just way off...kinda hard to explain

in my summer car though i love having them because i am secure

ciao

iceburns288
12-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Because the roof will crush your head. Pretty simple.

GQBalla
12-11-2006, 07:35 PM
won't the roof crush your head with normal seatbelts?

infected
12-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
won't the roof crush your head with normal seatbelts?

At least you can move your body towards the passenger side.

iceburns288
12-11-2006, 08:34 PM
You can duck with a 3-point, but with a 4, 5, or 6- point, your head and shoulders are held firmly in place. Right under the roof :).

iceburns288
12-11-2006, 08:37 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HkbL5-PF4EY

That is an example of how you duck with a 3-point :)

RickDaTuner
12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

this was a video of a Suby Legacy biting the dust, i think you might be mistaken though, IIRC he was wearing a 4 point harness, but a good example non the less why you should have a cage with anything greater than a 3 point

natejj
12-11-2006, 08:55 PM

I'm talking about the civics with racing stripes.

And why ya gotta hate on the acclaim? This thing gets 103 HORSEPOWER TO THE WHEELS! I paid 500 bucks for it.... thats 20 cent a horsepower.... find me a better deal then THAT!

Zero102
12-11-2006, 09:02 PM

And why ya gotta hate on the acclaim? This thing gets 103 HORSEPOWER TO THE WHEELS! I paid 500 bucks for it.... thats 20 cent a horsepower.... find me a better deal then THAT!

Isn't that like $5/hp?
:rofl:

Tha VZA
12-11-2006, 09:10 PM

maybe a nissan roof...;)

I drive Volvo's...case in point...

A family loaned their black 740 Volvo to their 18 year old daughter to return to college. On the way she fell asleep and ran off the highway, rolling over the guard rail and down an embankment. The car came to rest on its side with the engine still running. She turned off the ignition and climbed out through the open sunroof — a little dazed and bruised, but otherwise OK.

http://www.southwestauto.com/images/wrecked1.jpg

notice the roof?/passenger compartment?/driver's seat?

just saying for me...i feel more secure now with the 4 point than i did with the 3 point...this after the sport seats were installed, before, the stock seats were a different design, so i felt fine with the 3 point.

yet another...

A deer ran out in front of me and I tried to miss it and my Volvo rolled down a big hill and between two trees...Here is a picture of my car after it rolled. believe it or not, It will still crank up and I can put it in gear and drive it. I walked away with nothing but a scratch...Believe it or not.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~chdrost/models/240/240dake3.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~chdrost/models/240/240dake1.jpg

not every roof! :thumbsup:

ciao

thinmyster
12-11-2006, 09:11 PM

Quoted for greatness

hjr
12-11-2006, 09:26 PM
ya, but volvo's are not the norm

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-11-2006, 09:56 PM
If you have racing harnesses, you should have a car that needs them. And last I heard gpomp had the quickest civic, and he sure as hell didn't need the harnesses.

natejj
12-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

Isn't that like $5/hp?
:rofl:

Damn. I been outta school for too long....

dainom89
12-11-2006, 11:17 PM
personally, i feel more secure on the roads with harnesses
and i dont mind using them daily driving. just my opinion though
i dont really care if they are meant for racing.
alot of things are used for other then what they were
intended for.

thats just my opinion though.. and they also dont look bad
either so whatever:thumbsup:

HiSpec
12-12-2006, 03:12 AM

Its "fuck!" that saved their lives

Tha VZA
12-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by hjr
ya, but volvo's are not the norm

not in Canada...although they should be!!! :D

[/volvofanboyrant]

ciao

hjr
12-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by dainom89
personally, i feel more secure on the roads with harnesses
and i dont mind using them daily driving. just my opinion though
i dont really care if they are meant for racing.
alot of things are used for other then what they were
intended for.

thats just my opinion though.. and they also dont look bad
either so whatever:thumbsup: this doesnt matter if you are not using them in a proper fashion (AKA mounting them to the floor) a harness should be NO MORE than 45* at the MAX. this itself is not even recommended. Nothing over a 10* from the horizontal is recommended for a safety harness. this means that you need a bar to mount them too in order to not be seriously injured if you get into an accident.

iceburns288
12-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
this was a video of a Suby Legacy biting the dust, i think you might be mistaken though, IIRC he was wearing a 4 point harness, but a good example non the less why you should have a cage with anything greater than a 3 point
The video I was actually looking for was the one where Mark Webber sent a Jag XJR flying through the grass. THAT was a good video of why/how to duck! The guy in the video only ducked/turned for a quick second, but at least it was something, cuz I couldn't find that Webber video:D

There was also a video of a Subaru WRC car hitting a curbstone on the side of the road and rolling and the car nearly collapsed. Definitely would have killed the co-driver had it not been a WRC car.