PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs for corolla 2003

neocyber_16
12-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi guys,

I have a problem with installing some spark plugs in my corolla 2003. I managed to put the first two spark plugs in the left side, but the other right with the other two i couldn't pull the plug connecting it. So now I have two new ones and two old ones, is this all right? And the plugs that can't be removed by hand....is there a device or tool that i can use to pull the plugs that connect to the spark plugs? Any help would be well appreciated. Thank you in advance fellas.

neo

AE92_TreunoSC
12-11-2006, 09:42 PM
so you removed the coils from the left 2 and you can remove them from the right?

once the 10mm bolts are out, I just twist them off.

If your having a tough time disconnecting the coil from the wiring harness, spracy a little WD40 on the connector, and use a small pair of plyers.

But having different aged plugs isnt a huge deal, but it simply doesnt make any sense.

CelicaST-162
12-11-2006, 10:58 PM
If you are having trouble with the connector, grab a little flat screwdriver and pry up on the tab that locks it in place. Careful not to pry too high because you can break it pretty easily.

Whitetiger
12-12-2006, 02:25 AM
And watch your hands too (if you are going to use pliers) a lot of newbies get their fingers caught in between the pliers

Akagi Redsuns
12-12-2006, 07:30 AM
I did a sparkplug change on a 1ZZ-FE which is the same engine in Corolla.

I cheated and never even removed any harnesses from the coils. I just popped the boot off the sparkplugs with everything intact. The 2 left ones were easy, the 2 right ones required removing the rail that hold down the wires (2 bolts) to provide some slack in the wire to remove the boots from the sparkplugs.

Pretty easy. The part I hated was how far down the sparkplug holes were and the fear of cross threading.

Those OEM Denso Iridiums are expensive! $20 for a sparkplug....ouch.

CelicaST-162
12-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
I did a sparkplug change on a 1ZZ-FE which is the same engine in Corolla.

I cheated and never even removed any harnesses from the coils. I just popped the boot off the sparkplugs with everything intact. The 2 left ones were easy, the 2 right ones required removing the rail that hold down the wires (2 bolts) to provide some slack in the wire to remove the boots from the sparkplugs.

Pretty easy. The part I hated was how far down the sparkplug holes were and the fear of cross threading.

Those OEM Denso Iridiums are expensive! $20 for a sparkplug....ouch.

My way is easier, that way you remove the connector and take the coil out completely! :)