PDA

View Full Version : What's your salary?

Pages : [1] 2

Manhattan
12-12-2006, 12:35 AM
I'm a new graduate and curious as to what people are making in Calgary nowadays.

Also, for recent grads, how much did you make at your first job after graduation? And what kinda degree did you have?

Ajay
12-12-2006, 02:17 AM
I'm still a student but with my student job I'm in the 5th category.

Graduating in Economics in April and hoping to land something in the Oil and Gas field. I'm kinda interested in your question and the responses as well.

Audio_Rookie
12-12-2006, 08:41 AM
first year apprentice, about 45k.

Masked Bandit
12-12-2006, 09:17 AM
I didn't actually use my current income simply because I have been out of school for 15 years so it wouldn't do you any good for comparison. I used a number that would be acurate for today's job market...the 30k - 39k range.

rc2002
12-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Are you talking gross or net? I think net is the more useful figure since it's your actual disposable income.

zieg
12-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Wow, a lot of high rollers on here. :D

I'm a student but when I get out this spring, I should be going into the 50k area...

Manhattan
12-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Are you talking gross or net? I think net is the more useful figure since it's your actual disposable income.

Let's talk gross income because net is going to vary depending on your personal finances.

mo_money2supe
12-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
Wow, a lot of high rollers on here. :D

:werd: It's like Beyond's population is either made up of poor students (myself included) or are rich ballers!

hoamic11
12-12-2006, 11:24 AM
yeah, i can see that one, not enough mid-ranged ppl

jay42w8
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
graduated with a BA in poli sci and psych in vancouver in '02...1st job...9 bucks an hour as a shipper/receiver HAHA...went back to school do my post grad diploma in accounting while working for 15 bucks an hour in another warehouse...finished accounting diploma in '04...couldnt find even a minimum wage paying accounting CLERK position in vancouver...moved out to Calgary a year later and landed a 50gs a year job....Calgary FTW:thumbsup:

jay42w8
12-12-2006, 11:29 AM
in addition, I think people should post how many hours a week they work cuz thats important too.....for myself..37.5 hours/ week..no overtime ALLOWED :thumbsup:

Gainsbarre
12-12-2006, 11:34 AM
I signed up for just over 60K upon graduation this past May.

It helped that I had worked there (for about $20/hr) the previous summer and left a pretty good impression.

I went to the U of C (Calgary born and raised here) and my degrees were in Economics (First Class Honours) and Finance (with Distinction), and they did ask to see my transcripts, so I'm sure that doing well in school helped me out a bit too.

Gainsbarre
12-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by jay42w8
in addition, I think people should post how many hours a week they work cuz thats important too.....for myself..37.5 hours/ week..no overtime ALLOWED :thumbsup:

Good point. I work like a dog...at least 6 days a week, typically around 60 hours a week. No paid overtime.

rage2
12-12-2006, 11:40 AM
$80k isn't exactly high roller or "baller". Should've put more ranges in.

bulaian
12-12-2006, 11:41 AM
I smell :bullshit:

Seems fishy that the highest income bracket on beyond is the 80k+ range

Xtrema
12-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by rage2

With housing prices as they are now, I think $80K is now the tail end of middle class wages. Hardly baller.

Should add 3 more, $80-100, $100-$150, $150+

Originally posted by bulaian

Take it with a grain of salt with any survey. We don't have a big enough sample size to make it accurate anyway. It's all best effort.

But like I said, add more ranges and you'll see how those said 80k+ spreads out.

aklalani
12-12-2006, 11:59 AM
none of the above categories can even be considered "high roller". categories like 250+k should be added. even that isnt considered high roller

Manhattan
12-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

But like I said, add more ranges and you'll see how those said 80k+ spreads out.

We're gonna need a Beyond VIP section just for the ballers...haha.

I do realize that there's a ton of people making way more than 80K in this market. The reason I didnt include higher brackets is because I'm a new grad and more interested in what other entry-level positions are paying. I'm getting 40K to start with an Economics degree. Gotta start somewhere...

Audio_Rookie
12-12-2006, 12:03 PM
o ya...and I work 50+ hours/week.

Manhattan
12-12-2006, 12:05 PM
To someone just coming out of school, 80K is like Donald Trump figures.

bspot
12-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by rage2

For fresh out of school? Thats pretty "baller"

I got $44K out of school with an engineering degree. 2 years later I became a consultant and more than doubled that, plus paid less tax.

EK 2.0
12-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
or are rich ballers!

yeah yeah...

Why do you think that??

max_boost
12-12-2006, 12:24 PM
$150K-$200k is the perfect balling amount IMO!
Nice house, 2 nice cars, 20% away for investments and the luxury to just blow the rest on food, women and toys.

Blacura
12-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Does student imply $0? Thats where I am. :cry: Oh wells.

bulaian
12-12-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

yeah yeah...

Why do you think that??

I just re-read what i wrote and it came out wrong...

I meant it seems fishy that the majority of people replying to this are saying they are in the 80k+ income group.

abyss
12-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Is this household salary or individual....cause I just put in mine, but technically I get all of Hampstor's salary too.....:angel: :rofl:

Can I change my vote?

ICEBERG
12-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Unemployed and Daddy Day Care at the moment.:D

TimG
12-12-2006, 01:04 PM

I meant it seems fishy that the majority of people replying to this are saying they are in the 80k+ income group.

probably because those are the people who have high speed internet on their desktops, read beyond all day, and have no real responsibilities :D

I'm sure that as the afternoon progresses you'll see some of those salary ranges shift down.

mo_money2supe
12-12-2006, 01:15 PM
yeah yeah...

:dunno: What's that supposed to mean?

The reason why I said $80k+/yr was baller was 'cause like some said already, that's a LOT for someone FRESH out of post-secondary, which of course, was the whole point of this survey (lest ye forget).

The most I've made as a student would equate to about $40-$45k/yr Gross income, so if someone was to get double that (and UP) freshly upon graduation, that's considered living it baller style to me 'cause that number will just grow considerably after that.

And of course, when I first posted, there was considerably less responses, thus making the survey somewhat skewed. It's starting to balance out a bit now, so I guess if you really wanted to, you can ignore my previous post.

thordin
12-12-2006, 01:19 PM
I make about 50k a year w/ a highschool diploma. I'm 22 years old.

but I work 72 hrs a week so yeah that explains it. I work with Calgary SCOPE Society - Community outreach worker. Its alot fun I enjoy it. Too bad it wont last long cos Im goin back to school, in the US so Im not looking forward to going further down on the rungs of tax brackets.

Once I finish college I know I'd rose once again and make more moolah

Xtrema
12-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by TimG

probably because those are the people who have high speed internet on their desktops, read beyond all day, and have no real responsibilities :D

I'm sure that as the afternoon progresses you'll see some of those salary ranges shift down.

haha, I think there's some truth to this. :D

ashee
12-12-2006, 01:39 PM
Less than 30k because I'm a student

sml
12-12-2006, 01:42 PM
It is really important to mention how much you make base on how many hours you work. It is also important to know if it is base salary or base salary+bonus or base salary+bonus+stock options+benefits+vacation time pay out, etc... At FS, you probably don't make a money base ($25-30k) but if you're a super sales guy there you could make double that in commission (by selling lots of extended warranties!!!) :D
I'm not a student anymore, but I would have to say your starting salary would depend on MANY MANY factors including your education. I would say $40k to start for a generic degree at university and $50k+ to start with a professional degree.

Lex350
12-12-2006, 01:48 PM

The reason why I said $80k+/yr was baller was 'cause like some said already, that's a LOT for someone FRESH out of post-secondary, which of course, was the whole point of this survey (lest ye forget).

The most I've made as a student would equate to about $40-$45k/yr Gross income, so if someone was to get double that (and UP) freshly upon graduation, that's considered living it baller style to me 'cause that number will just grow considerably after that.

And of course, when I first posted, there was considerably less responses, thus making the survey somewhat skewed. It's starting to balance out a bit now, so I guess if you really wanted to, you can ignore my previous post.

I think it is all relative...just like horsepower

If you have only 150hp...250hp might seem like a lot. but then you get useed to it and want 400 hp...the cycle repeats.

It's the same with salary. I remember thinking way back what it would be like to make 50k. That was a magical celing for me. Now, it doesn't seem like much at all.

Masked Bandit
12-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

I think it is all relative...just like horsepower

If you have only 150hp...250hp might seem like a lot. but then you get useed to it and want 400 hp...the cycle repeats.

It's the same with salary. I remember thinking way back what it would be like to make 50k. That was a magical celing for me. Now, it doesn't seem like much at all.

Exactly!

When I was at $35k a year I was thinking "man....if I can just hit six figures I'll be swimming in money".

Now that I'm there I'm thinking "man....if I can just add another $35k a year I'll be set".

I'm guessing that when I get there my perspective will change again.

max_boost
12-12-2006, 02:24 PM
The more you make the more you spend and the more debt you accumulate. It's a vicious cycle.

Masked Bandit
12-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
The more you make the more you spend and the more debt you accumulate. It's a vicious cycle.

The more I spend...yes..sort of.

The more debt i accumulate....no!

bulaian
12-12-2006, 02:58 PM

it's true... before I was making money... I was content living at home with my crappy car and no debt..

now that i'm making money i've got a huge martgage to pay off

bspot
12-12-2006, 02:59 PM

:confused:

My only debt is my mortgage... and that just shrunk when I started to make more money and pay it down faster.

max_boost
12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Generally the more you make, the more you spend, therefore you believe you can afford more and credit is easier to obtain and results in more debt. This does not apply to those of you who are responsible with your money but does apply to the masses. :werd:

hoamic11
12-12-2006, 03:10 PM
Man, 40 hrs/week

graduated from the U of R in Electronic Systems Engineering and i'm in the 45k, need more money to pay these debts off....

Canmorite
12-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Student...

89coupe
12-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

With housing prices as they are now, I think $80K is now the tail end of middle class wages. Hardly baller.

Should add 3 more, $80-100, $100-$150, $150+

Take it with a grain of salt with any survey. We don't have a big enough sample size to make it accurate anyway. It's all best effort.

LOL...no shit.

I looked at this poll and scratched my head when it stopped at $80K plus

But then I realized most of Beyond users are under 25 years of age...LOL:rofl:

Rav4Guy
12-12-2006, 03:21 PM
that's because it's a two-pronged question.

"what people are making in Calgary nowadays"
and

"how much did you make at your first job after graduation?"

what is the poll suppose to represent...

bspot
12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Generally the more you make, the more you spend, therefore you believe you can afford more and credit is easier to obtain and results in more debt. This does not apply to those of you who are responsible with your money but does apply to the masses. :werd:

I did hear that with all of the real estate madness in Calgary last year that loads of people were using the extra equity in their houses to make wise investments.... such as Escalades... So I'd agree with you there now that I think about it.

Aleks
12-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
To someone just coming out of school, 80K is like Donald Trump figures.

Depends what degree you come out with and how much experience you have. I know lots of people that make that fresh out of school with a yearly bonus easily.

bigbadboss101
12-12-2006, 10:03 PM
The more you make the easier you lose track of the little spendings here and there. $50 here and $200 there and before you know it you wonder where the $ went.

When you are on a tight budget you tend to have fewer purchases in that price range.

googe
12-12-2006, 11:02 PM
about eleven inches.

EK 2.0
12-13-2006, 12:33 AM

Why is that fishy??

the "yeah yeah" was meant to sound like a gangtsa would spit...like you know...and if you don't know...now you know...

VW02
12-13-2006, 12:37 AM

Why is that fishy??

Because he thinks you are all drug dealers and are making tons of money when it seems like you are on beyond all the time.

msommers
12-13-2006, 01:58 AM
Why is that fishy??

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say people may or may not be telling the truth, as retarded as it is. I have to agree with a big suprise at the 80k cut off, graduating engineers are estimated to make 65K plus signing bonus last time I checked in the Herald. There was a big article about it, few months back however. Making 80k these days, especially living in the economy we are right now isn't that huge of deal as it may have been 10 years ago.

For me, I'm a student and don't work and live at home but I worked my ass off up north during the summer so I'd have all my expenses covered plus "fun" money during school.

Where is the 2 million+/ yr category for alex.m :rofl: :rofl:

VW02
12-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by msommers

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say people may or may not be telling the truth, as retarded as it is. I have to agree with a big suprise at the 80k cut off, graduating engineers are estimated to make 65K plus signing bonus last time I checked in the Herald. There was a big article about it, few months back however. Making 80k these days, especially living in the economy we are right now isn't that huge of deal as it may have been 10 years ago.

For me, I'm a student and don't work and live at home but I worked my ass off up north during the summer so I'd have all my expenses covered plus "fun" money during school.

Where is the 2 million+/ yr category for alex.m :rofl: :rofl:

People would not lie about this whole income thing. Lots of the people who voted for the >80k/year did not mention anything in this thread. We do not know who voted for that category therefore they would have no reason in "lying". I checked about 3 weeks ago on the alberta goverment site and it said that chemical engineers had an average salary of 85k/year. Mechanical was about 70k/year and I dont remember any others.

ps the >80k/year also includes 2million+/yr therefore that option would not be required. Thanks.

cbinteg
12-13-2006, 11:29 AM
I agree with the others that said salary is not the only thing you should base it on these days. Vacation time, benefits, bonuses, etc are also very important in weighing the pros and cons of a job. I'd say for somebody starting out at $40K/year, you're sitting about average, I know people who were working towards their CAs and they got paid much lower than that. Generally speaking engineers make a little bit more, but I've heard of some who fall in the 40-49K category as well. Everybody has to start somewhere right?

max_boost
12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Clearly we already know who some of the ballers on Beyond are based on the few posts in this thread. The question is, who's the Ultimate Beyond Baller? haha

kwonner
12-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Generally engineers get paid more out of school but do not get any significant increases till they become a professional and even then it is dificult depending on the type of industry they are involved in.
I have not heard of any graduated engineers nowadays making 40000-50000. I'm currenlty on my internship and most interns I know including myself are in the 40-50 range with no experience.

rc2002
12-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Clearly we already know who some of the ballers on Beyond are based on the few posts in this thread. The question is, who's the Ultimate Beyond Baller? haha

Pretty sure it's M.alex :)

Weapon_R
12-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Pretty sure it's M.alex :)

Definately. Although I havent seen any posts since his buddy found out who he is in the other thread :rofl:

adamc
12-13-2006, 05:30 PM
so for the uninitiated, who is alex m?

2 million a year could definitely be considered baller status, but I know people that make that kind of money and drive 5 year old vehicles and live in small houses fwiw.
:zzz:

89coupe
12-13-2006, 05:41 PM
I know someone who makes 20million a month:bigpimp:

bigbadboss101
12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I think it's the guy with the G35, IS300, STI and few others ...

EK 2.0
12-13-2006, 07:04 PM

Lei oh balla dai lo...

Whitetiger
12-13-2006, 08:27 PM
What does this person do for a career?

Originally posted by 89coupe
I know someone who makes 20million a month:bigpimp:

Rat Fink
12-13-2006, 08:51 PM

SiR_lyfe
12-13-2006, 08:55 PM
I not done school yet, but im in my 4th year, already have a job at Shell Canada. paying like 40K a yearish

Eleanor
12-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Yay poor students FTW!

BTW for anyone who doesn't know M.Alex check here.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154234

And also in this city I don't think 80+ is a ton of money. Chemical engineers first year out of university are making average 60 or so I've been told.

89coupe
12-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Whitetiger
What does this person do for a career?

He is the CEO & Chairman of a number of Oil & Gas companies here in Calgary.

Lex350
12-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I just quit my field job to take a 43K/year engineering job.....BUT, this is in Med Hat, so my money goes a lot further. It also doesn't count bonuses. The other cool thing is how I only have to work 40 hrs/week now. My job is done at 4:30 every day. Not like my field job I used to have where I could work more than double those hours. Oh, and I can pretty much bank on never having to work a weekend again.

I have some side ventures (not dealing) that I can now put more time into too, and come out even further ahead.

When I left Calgary, I left an 80K/year field job. Sure, it was okay making that cash, but I had to sacrifice a lot to be there. I had no personal life, I was away from home all the time......more than a month at a time in some cases. Money isn't everything to me, so it was pretty easy to make the decision to have a life instead.

good for you. Many people can't get past a dollar figure when evaluating their worth.

sullygully
12-13-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

good for you. Many people can't get past a dollar figure when evaluating their worth.

^exactly. I make sure i don't work any more then 40 hrs a week, and with my type of work, I can still enjoy my life long passions 7 days a week. As much as i'd like to be rich, with my lifestyle i'm a lot richer then people think. Also being debt free is nice

But i digress

mo_money2supe
12-14-2006, 01:18 AM
the "yeah yeah" was meant to sound like a gangtsa would spit...like you know...and if you don't know...now you know...

Ahh...gotcha :thumbsup:

On another note, are freshly graduating engineers expected to be making $60k+ a year or something? I mean, I'll be graduating out of Civil Engg sometime next year (after a tiresome 7 years of University might I add) and from what I've been offered at my previous jobs, a max of $50k/yr seems to be the norm. Or should I be looking at other companies? And I know Civil's aren't the highest paid overall, but I'd rather be doing something I'd enjoy than to go into Chemical or Oil & Gas where I have absolutely no interest in.

Super_Geo
12-14-2006, 01:42 AM
^ If you have no experience, you'd be lucky to get around 50k starting in a civil job that's not O/G related. Hell, in Ontario new grad positions for engineers are only in the low-mid 40s.

kwonner
12-14-2006, 09:41 AM
What kind of Civil job were you looking for? Civils aren't the highest paid but salaries have been increasing. It also heavily depends on which industry you go into. I'm in O/G so it's good and I know that Construction and EPC companies pay very well if you go in to the project management side. Otherwise the technical and environmental jobs don't pay too well from what I know.

blitz
12-14-2006, 01:33 PM
I was 52k fresh out of school 3 years ago, with 2 years of good co-op experience.

I hear from people I know at Imperial that they're starting grads off at 65k with guaranteed 15% raises for the first 2 years.

Fuji
12-14-2006, 02:41 PM

Well it's obvious it's you man. No one else here can afford a mortgage and 5 cars on lease/fnce and still go do whatever they feel like.

BTW this thread is pretty dumb. Go look at stats can if you want the real numbers

googe
12-14-2006, 03:29 PM
99% of people youll meet in this thread:

1) The insecure oil and gas worker making a good salary and wants to let everyone know.

2) The insecure non-oil and gas worker making a decent salary that wants to make it known that when the O&G tanks, theyll be the ones laughing, and they could be doing just as well but "choose" not to.

3) The insecure self-righteous hippie communist that isnt making enough to be considered rich so they have to pretend its because they dont care about money and arent trying.

4) The delusional student that is about to get a job making twice what you are, fresh out of school.

5) The blue-collar that worked a lot of overtime and had a good paycheck one month, multiplied it by 12, and claims that is their yearly salary.

6) The fake baller that has some nice stuff to their name but doesnt do a whole lot and have all their opportunities because of who their parents are.

I think Im #3, what are you guys? max_boost and rage2 are obviously #6. 89coupe is #1, and sputnik is #2.

:rofl:

max_boost
12-14-2006, 04:42 PM
LOL

I have to give it to you. That made me laugh! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cressida_pimpin
12-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Remember we're talking about "first year graduate salaries". Starting around 60k is definitely good for a first year grad.

in*10*se
12-14-2006, 08:40 PM
wow... alex m for the FTMFW!!!

HiTempguy1
12-14-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm hoping I can earn $50K a year out once I am out of school, and I figure I will at least be earning $40K... if I am not, then school was a waste (which it shouldn't/won't be considering its for engineering).

mo_money2supe
12-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
^ If you have no experience, you'd be lucky to get around 50k starting in a civil job that's not O/G related. Hell, in Ontario new grad positions for engineers are only in the low-mid 40s.

Originally posted by kwonner
What kind of Civil job were you looking for? Civils aren't the highest paid but salaries have been increasing. It also heavily depends on which industry you go into. I'm in O/G so it's good and I know that Construction and EPC companies pay very well if you go in to the project management side. Otherwise the technical and environmental jobs don't pay too well from what I know.

Well, I've got the experience - and by the time I graduate, probably will have more than most with just a regular co-op/internship would. I've also made a good number of contacts in O&G, Construction, Land Development, Project Engineering/Management, etc, etc.

It's not so much the job that I'm wondering if I'll get (I honestly would rather work somewhere that I enjoy than to make huge bucks); I'm just wondering how much on average should I be looking at as a freshly graduating Civil Engineer in Calgary. Just planning ahead so I know for future job interviews. I'm planning on working in either land development, which is what I've been doing the whole time, or in structural.

Oh, and as for googe's post, hopefully I'll be #4 one day! :D Or I could just make it seem like that by following max_boost's steps in #6. :angel:

Whitetiger
12-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Between #2 and 6

Originally posted by googe

1) The insecure oil and gas worker making a good salary and wants to let everyone know.

2) The insecure non-oil and gas worker making a decent salary that wants to make it known that when the O&G tanks, theyll be the ones laughing, and they could be doing just as well but "choose" not to.

3) The insecure self-righteous hippie communist that isnt making enough to be considered rich so they have to pretend its because they dont care about money and arent trying.

4) The delusional student that is about to get a job making twice what you are, fresh out of school.

5) The blue-collar that worked a lot of overtime and had a good paycheck one month, multiplied it by 12, and claims that is their yearly salary.

6) The fake baller that has some nice stuff to their name but doesnt do a whole lot and have all their opportunities because of who their parents are.

I think Im #3, what are you guys? max_boost and rage2 are obviously #6. 89coupe is #1, and sputnik is #2.

in*10*se
12-15-2006, 10:01 AM

7) all of the above

Manhattan
12-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Unrelated to salaries but there's 14 people unemployed and looking for work here. You wouldn't think that'd be possible in Calgary now but I did struggle to find professional job that required a degree with a decent company when I first graduated a few months back with zero experience and no connections. Heck, I have friends that have yet to find a career-related job since graduating this summer. Hang in there yall!

Tik-Tok
12-15-2006, 01:27 PM

About 60%-2, 20%-3, and 20%-5.

$60g, I work maybe 25-30 hours a week average, I'm salaried at $60g, but if I work anything but my scheduled days it's OT. This is after 2 years apprenticeship and 3 years licensed.

Right out of school I think I made $28g.

Oh and to comply with #5), I make $96,000. :D

WWJAI
12-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Wow never thought so many people on here would be making $80+ g's a year. I thought 75g's was suppose to be the average for a whole household a few years back.

FiveFreshFish
12-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Net worth is a much better indicator of personal wealth than gross annual income.

ZorroAMG
12-17-2006, 02:57 PM
My salary is non existent now...lol pay per job can be staggering in my field though, so....

Net worth is still very decent though :)

Googe, your 1-6 post was BANG on except for the other 1% of us (you)

8) did well with investments and are now doing what they actually WANT to do :D

adamc
12-17-2006, 03:06 PM
1)

brandon
12-17-2006, 03:08 PM
6, lol

Shaolin
12-17-2006, 03:39 PM
#2 for me haha.. although I'll be looking into O&G next year depending on how things go.

bigbadboss101
12-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Funny stuff.

Now is there anyone who makes good $ but drive nothing special?

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-17-2006, 08:16 PM

max_boost
12-18-2006, 02:28 AM
OUt of all the #6 on this forum, I can guarantee I work more hours than all you fockers. I'm a special case of #6. :rofl:

2shy4u
12-18-2006, 02:33 AM
All you people that are working more then 8 hours a day and arent getting paid overtime.. are getting ripped off... i work 6 or 7 days a week... anytime after 8 hours is overtime... saturday is overtime... sunday.. overtime... and Holidays are Double overtime... most of the money i make is usually overtime... but i work my bag off... 14 hour days.. till the lay-off comes.... its great. Sucks that you guys dont get OT... Working for nothing pretty much.

msommers
12-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by 2shy4u
All you people that are working more then 8 hours a day and arent getting paid overtime.. are getting ripped off... i work 6 or 7 days a week... anytime after 8 hours is overtime... saturday is overtime... sunday.. overtime... and Holidays are Double overtime... most of the money i make is usually overtime... but i work my bag off... 14 hour days.. till the lay-off comes.... its great. Sucks that you guys dont get OT... Working for nothing pretty much.

I don't understand still how companies can even do this, some loop hole I'm sure. On the bright side of it I guess, you overall don't get taxed nearly as heavily. I remember getting taxed to shit on all my over time. I worked it out, after taxes on a regular cheque vs lots of OT cheque, the money I had made strictly on OT was almost cut in half with taxes. It's total horseshit. DT and TT is only gets worse.

lilmira
12-18-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm always confused about tax on OT paid. At the end of the tax year, wouldn't your income tax be based on your total annual income? So why would it affect your income tax being OT or not?

I'm just curious, not that this affects me anymore. I'm on salary now. I don't get paid OT and i don't work OT neither. I do however get bonus. :D

googe
12-18-2006, 01:58 PM
^Yeah its exactly the same at the end of the year.

Originally posted by 2shy4u

That doesnt make sense to say. What if they are making more on salary without overtime pay than you are with your overtime pay?

redx2nv
01-16-2007, 02:04 AM
#1,

worked 8 months this last year(fresh outta post secondary), and still managed to make 88k..

Mind you, im still a third year appt lol. Gotta love the oil, and no i dont work on the rigs.

I guess, $132k can be considered baller status, but im not a baller lol

pinoyhero
01-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Depends on your degree and how much punishment you're willing to take. Comparing, "new grads" is tough unless you narrow it down to more specific levels if you're looking for an idea of what you can expenct to make.

Rav4Guy
01-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
I'm always confused about tax on OT paid. At the end of the tax year, wouldn't your income tax be based on your total annual income? So why would it affect your income tax being OT or not?

I'm just curious, not that this affects me anymore. I'm on salary now. I don't get paid OT and i don't work OT neither. I do however get bonus. :D

Bonuses will be taxed at approximately 40% before you even get it.

Rav4Guy
01-16-2007, 09:58 AM
now the REAL question is......

What's your NETWORTH. :D