PDA

View Full Version : problem w/ plug-in?

MooseJawian
12-12-2006, 11:34 AM
i parked my integra in my reserved apartment parking spot. there is a on/off switch board in my apartment for the plug in..everytime i plug my integra , turn the switch to "on",it would bounce back to "off",therefore no power through the plug-in at all. but last night i brought a desk lamp down, plug the desk lamp in, it worked perfect, the switch does not bounce at all,stays on..

could that mean my block heater has problem??just got it replaced last september.how should i look into it?

Mitsu3000gt
12-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I bet it trips your breaker. Heating elements use alot of current, and it may be more than your breaker is rated for. I highly doubt there is a problem with your block heater, they are not complicated devices.

nonsane
12-12-2006, 11:57 AM
When i worked at lube city they had a little tester to test if the block heater is functioning. Unless something has changed that test should be Free.

otherwise it's an issue with the electrical in the place/circuit breaker as mentioned.

MooseJawian
12-12-2006, 12:10 PM
thanx guys!!:thumbsup:
but i do not really know too uch about the circuit stuff.
so the breaker is sth in my block heater circuit or the apartment plug-in system circuit?

Mitsu3000gt
12-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Your breaker is in your apartment. Breakers look like big switches with "on" and "off" labels, which is why when you described your problem it sounded like a breaker issue. When too much current goes through them, they automatically flip off, and won't come back on until you flip it back on. Alot of bathroom plug-ins have these built in as well, as things such as hair dryers use alot of power.

MooseJawian
12-12-2006, 12:23 PM
i c...so what should i do to slove this problem?any advice?

Mitsu3000gt
12-12-2006, 12:31 PM
If your in an apartment, I would just talk to the land lord. I would imagine you would have an answer very quickly. Perhaps (if this is the problem) he can change the breaker for you with one that can handle your block heater.

D. Dub
12-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
If your in an apartment, I would just talk to the land lord. I would imagine you would have an answer very quickly. Perhaps (if this is the problem) he can change the breaker for you with one that can handle your block heater.

Unless the heater or cord is shorting out and causing the breaker to trip.

Mitsu3000gt
12-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub

Unless the heater or cord is shorting out and causing the breaker to trip.

A definate possibility, especially since the plug ins seem to be made specifically for block heaters.