PDA

View Full Version : Melatonin/sleeping aids

acura_el
12-12-2006, 12:17 PM
i was wondering if anyone has tried using ON Melatonin.

if so, did u see any noticeable benefits or experience any side effects?

i think i have chronic insomina. i haven't had a good nights sleep in about 2 months and have tried to stay away from sleeping aids, but with my head feeling like it's about to pop i feel like i don't have much of a choice. :cry:

any help/experiences would be appreciated! :(

Speed_69
12-12-2006, 12:47 PM
I had insomnia for two months alittle over 1 year and half ago. I tried so many things. 3 different kinds of Anti-depressants and none of them worked. The most sleep I would get was like half n hour. Even sleeping pills didn't work for me, it would take me 6 hrs to fall asleep and then i would only sleep about an hr. It was completely fucked. Then my family doctor prescribed me melatonin and eventually i was sleeping more and more and then i just went completely off them. Now i sleep perfectly fine like before so i highly recommend trying it. :thumbsup:

Whitetiger
12-12-2006, 01:30 PM
How does insomnia happen to begin with? I'm curious because sometimes I go to bed LATE, like 3-4am... and no wake up until 12pm... SOMETIMES

acura_el
12-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Whitetiger
How does insomnia happen to begin with? I'm curious because sometimes I go to bed LATE, like 3-4am... and no wake up until 12pm... SOMETIMES

insominia is not being able to fall asleep or having shitty sleep. it's supposed to be caused by stress, anxiety and other BS.... u pretty much can't fall asleep regardless of how tired u are and when u do, it's fragmented and u end up waking up tired.

it's the most fucked up shit in the world...especially if u love to sleep:thumbsdow

Masked Bandit
12-12-2006, 02:05 PM
I know this sounds pretty low tech but a pharmacist friend of mine told me to try some over the counter Gravol.

I find that with sleeping pills, even if you stay sleeping for seven or eight hours, I wake up groggy and it takes half a day to get going.

With the Gravol (two or three tabs), I wake up refreshed with no after effect. Gravol is also non-additctive. If I take two or three Gravol, about 45 minutes later I can't even keep my eyes open.

Speed_69
12-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by acura_el

insominia is not being able to fall asleep or having shitty sleep. it's supposed to be caused by stress, anxiety and other BS.... u pretty much can't fall asleep regardless of how tired u are and when u do, it's fragmented and u end up waking up tired.

it's the most fucked up shit in the world...especially if u love to sleep:thumbsdow
actually my insomnia that i had for two months was even more fucked up then the most fucked up shit in the world lol. Even though i only had 30min-1hr of sleep a night..i felt so awake during the day. I didn't feel tired at all, i would yawn sometimes but i still wasn't drowsy or anything. It was like my mind just couldn't shut off.

P.S. I love sleep :love: haha

Whitetiger
12-12-2006, 04:10 PM
take some time off work, and just SLEEP... (like is it caused by being over worked or something?)

acura_el
12-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Whitetiger
take some time off work, and just SLEEP... (like is it caused by being over worked or something?)

nah, i don't think it's cuz of work, i only work about 5 hours/week and it cant be cuz of school (i dont really study all that much) but i'm going to be taking some time off anyways

i'm gonna pick up some melatonin today, can't take this shit anymore....i've tried everything :banghead:

i just wanna sleep :(

Speed_69
12-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by acura_el

nah, i don't think it's cuz of work, i only work about 5 hours/week and it cant be cuz of school (i dont really study all that much) but i'm going to be taking some time off anyways

i'm gonna pick up some melatonin today, can't take this shit anymore....i've tried everything :banghead:

i just wanna sleep :(
Take the melatonin w/ a vitamin B pill. I find that it works better.

kaput
12-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Hydr0nik
12-13-2006, 06:48 PM
melatonin is a natural substance and its works the same way that any natural substance works .....very slowly and not much affect for me ....i had major sleeping problems and went from maoi's to stronger sleeping pills and finally the one that helped me was zopiclone little blue fuckers Get you to sleep and chemically they are out of your system in 4 hrs like a xanax so there is no grogginess when you wake up...

CCM Pro
12-14-2006, 03:39 AM
Melatonin is a great way to fall asleep quicker but some people need more mg than others...I actually take 9-15mg depending on brand some nights...it will NOT hurt your body unless you take a ridiculous amount. I personally found the best brand to be from GNC but only from USA the GNC in Canada seems to have a different kind of melatonin...you may need to try different ones to see what works best for you.

It seems for most people that the sublingual (disolve under tongue) is more effective.

Now for me, it helps me fall asleep but if you have trouble sleeping through the night use Sleepees (also 100% natural). This will let you sleep through the night with no groggy mornings or addictiveness.

Hope this helps

googe
12-14-2006, 10:23 AM
zopiclone leaves a revolting rust taste in your mouth the next day all day.

acura_el
12-21-2006, 09:57 PM
okay i figured i'd update this incase anyone is having similar problems. i've been using the Optimum Nutrition Melatonin (from Popeyes for $10) for about 1 week now and this shit is awesome.

first couple of nights i took the recommended dosage and it helped a bit, wasnt as tired and fell asleep sooner. Then, i upped the dosage to 3x the recommended the other night and i was out like a light...all i can do now is sleep for 12+ hours; it's incredible especially cuz i have no more school or work till January.

i'm probably going to stop taking it unless the problems come back.

possible side effects: haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. just a mild headache today, but i figure it's cuz i'm tired...no grogginess in the morning or aftertaste. it takes about 15 mins to get out of bed cuz u just feel like sleeping, but once you're up, u feel refreshed

definitely recommended :thumbsup: i'm off to bed now :zzz:

TurboMedic
12-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Melatonin did nothing for me.....My sleep schedule is always out of whack because of the 2 days 2 nights 4 off schedule I have. I've resorted to benadryl before bed, but am soon going to get a script for imovane aswell.....rispiradol leaves you with a hangover in the AM so avoid that....