PDA

View Full Version : Finding Jobs

Ajay
12-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Just curious to know how anyone that's a new graduate or was recently a new graduate found their first job after school?

I'm finished in April and have pretty much been using the UofC job board as leads to employment. I had an interview with Imperial Oil in October but was passed over for the position for an engineer. Didn't surprise me as much because the first thing the interviewer told me was I was the only non-engineer she was interviewing for that position.

Anyways, just wondering how you found your current employment.

Thanks.

Whitetiger
12-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Referral

l8braker
12-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Have you considered a temp agency to get the ball rolling?

I started at one working oddjobs for a few O&G companies. Stuck it out and got the call from the same agency asking if I was interested in working where I am now.... Still in the O&G biz and couldn't be happier.

Out of all the agencies i've been through, Randstad had the worst jobs, working for the worst people.... Avoid them.

ashee
12-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Did you look into any of the co-op programs?

vadeit
12-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Ajay what do you have a degree in? We are hiring in Jan.

I got my job by doing the coop program. The company that I did a year term with hired me after I graduated.

Looking at your departments coop program might be a good idea. We are hiring a recent grad for a year long coop position.

Ajay
12-12-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm graduating with an Economics degree.

I did look into the co-op program offered by the UofC but decided I didn't want to do it as it would have added potentially another year and half onto the duration of my schooling. Somewhat regret that now.

I'm quite certain I can't do a co-op now since I'm done school in April. Last time I inquired about this co-op programs are generally open for 2nd and 3rd year students and not students who are completing their degree in one more semester.

vadeit.....where is that you work if you don't mind me asking.

TimG
12-12-2006, 04:36 PM
i'm assuming that you've hit up the usual suspects like monster, workopolis, and the Herald?

Is there some kind of international organization for economists? if there is, they usually have career sections and career resource sections.

Talk to your profs too. they might be able to suggest places, have heard of openings through the grapevine, and can suggest journals and magazines where jobs are usually posted.

Whitetiger
12-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Herald + Sun are pretty cool quick reference sources... (as some of the stuff on the internet are so out dated, and not updated)

Originally posted by TimG
i'm assuming that you've hit up the usual suspects like monster, workopolis, and the Herald?

Is there some kind of international organization for economists? if there is, they usually have career sections and career resource sections.

Talk to your profs too. they might be able to suggest places, have heard of openings through the grapevine, and can suggest journals and magazines where jobs are usually posted.