PDA

View Full Version : Battery low/dying?

topher91
12-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Yo whasup sportfans.....

SOOOO when I start my car, startup sounds really rough like a crazy cold weather start. Sometimes it won't even turn over even if its not cold!

Now another symptom: When I listen to my radio/stereo while the car is off, the sub woofer cuts off during loud bass drops. But when the car is running and I'm parked, the woofer won't cut out??

Is this a symptom of a dying battery?

If so, can anyone recommend where to get a new battery for my car?

Thanks,

Chris

Slashin_
12-12-2006, 07:46 PM
sounds like starter and battery, try taking off battery connection and cleaning it.....if that no work go to like part source ,auto value...etc and buy your self a battery tester thingy(for got techanical term)

topher91
12-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Slashin_
sounds like starter and battery, try taking off battery connection and cleaning it.....if that no work go to like part source ,auto value...etc and buy your self a battery tester thingy(for got techanical term)

Ya I was thinking starter too....... but hoping it wasn't haha.

What do those battery tester thingy look like or how does it work?

Chris

CasperWho
12-12-2006, 07:56 PM
You can bring your battey to Canadian Tire, and they will test it FF!

Slashin_
12-12-2006, 08:02 PM
its useful if many ways...can meaure if battery is gettin weak or strong....also u can test your block heater see if there connection its like 15 bux i thinkfancy one i slike 30 bux

what car is it?
aftermarket speakers?
maybe u got bad wiring causing weak battery...then agin that leads to possiblt bad altanator

topher91
12-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Can I take my car to Canadian tire? or do I have to take the whole battery?

Its my 93 325i, I do have a sub.

Chris

Slashin_
12-12-2006, 09:04 PM
just drive to crappy tire and bring a 10mm to take off the battery if they ask...
friends got a sub,he got some kinfs of wire hook up tp battery ment to prevent battery draing due to subs/speakers

topher91
12-13-2006, 08:45 PM
OK so I don't think its the battery now. I got a battery tester and it read 12.5 - 12.6 volts while the car was off and nothing was on.

While the car was running, it would read between 14.5 - ~15 volts.

So is that ok?

Fcuk, it maybe the starter then.......

How much to replace the starter?

Chris

adam c
12-13-2006, 08:56 PM
if ur sub cuts out then its ur alternator.. do u have a cap in the system?

also there are 2 readings when u get ur battery checked.. theres voltage and battery health.. the voltage can be fine but the battery health can be near zero

did they show it to u? i goto fountain tire and they check mine for free and they tell u weather u need a new battery now/soon/or its good

topher91
12-13-2006, 09:24 PM
No I don't have a capacitor for the sub.

I did the reading myself with a tool you just plug into the cig lighter outlet.

So with the sub cutting out when the car is off is a symptom of the starter?

Chris

adam c
12-13-2006, 09:55 PM
no thats a symptom of ur alternator

topher91
12-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by adam c
no thats a symptom of ur alternator

Can you explain? I'm not super car literate.... ;)

Thanks,

Chris?

cocoabrova
12-14-2006, 12:37 AM
I'd check your battery terminals/connections for corrosion, check the batt. cables for loose connection/corrosion, and maybe check the ground wires/straps for corrosion/loose connections too. The stereo cutting out when the engine's off just means that the system is drawing too much power (only from the battery) while the alternator is not charging the battery/running the whole electrical system with the engine off. My 325is did the same thing when I tried to listen to the stereo loud with the engine off.

topher91
12-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
I'd check your battery terminals/connections for corrosion, check the batt. cables for loose connection/corrosion, and maybe check the ground wires/straps for corrosion/loose connections too. The stereo cutting out when the engine's off just means that the system is drawing too much power (only from the battery) while the alternator is not charging the battery/running the whole electrical system with the engine off. My 325is did the same thing when I tried to listen to the stereo loud with the engine off.

Cool, I'll check that too.

The thing is, I've this stereo setup for like 6 months now and the the sub cutting out just started last week?

Kinda weird? :dunno:

Chris

topher91
12-19-2006, 02:25 PM
OK, cheked the battery terminals etc..... the battery indicator is still GREEN so its not the battery.

The car wouldn't start again last nite at the mall.

Now I'm thinking this could be some problem with the remote starter I had installed.

Last time the car wouldn't start, same symptoms, no turning over, no noise etc but all electrics would turn on.

Called AMA for a tow, kept trying to start while waiting for AMA. about 15 min later, it just started like normal?

Same thing just happened last nite, kept trying to start it...... waited about 15 min later, and bam.... it started again.

NOW as a feature of the Compustar alarm, I had the starter kill installed...... so could there be some loose wire or grounding conflict that triggers the starter kill to activate and not allow me to start my car for ~15min??

This is really pissing me off......I'm about ready to ditch this car and get something else..... :banghead:

Chris

DoubleLP
12-19-2006, 02:31 PM
It is your battery.

The load capacity of the battery is gone.

Because the car is putting out 14.5V or so when running, your alternator is doing just fine. If it was not putting that out, or the voltage dropped while the car was running, then you have an alternator problem.

If you put a voltage meter with nothing running, it will probably read about 12V. But as soon as you put a load to it (ie. turning the stereo loud OR trying to start the car) the battery does not have the load capacity anymore to run it for you.

I had the EXACT same problem with a brand new battery that I bought.

Go get a new battery. I would recommend an Optima battery. They cost more but are definitely worth it in my opinion.

The Cosworth
12-19-2006, 02:34 PM
battery, walmart

topher91
12-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by DoubleLP
It is your battery.

The load capacity of the battery is gone.

Because the car is putting out 14.5V or so when running, your alternator is doing just fine. If it was not putting that out, or the voltage dropped while the car was running, then you have an alternator problem.

If you put a voltage meter with nothing running, it will probably read about 12V. But as soon as you put a load to it (ie. turning the stereo loud OR trying to start the car) the battery does not have the load capacity anymore to run it for you.

I had the EXACT same problem with a brand new battery that I bought.

Go get a new battery. I would recommend an Optima battery. They cost more but are definitely worth it in my opinion.

But the battery indicator reads GREEN.... green meaning the battery is good. Are you sure its the battery?

I don't wanna buy a new battery only to find out it was something else.

I would also buy an Optima for sure, that's what I put in my last car and it worked amazingly!

Chris

DoubleLP
12-19-2006, 05:47 PM
That battery indicator is not worth shit.

If you don't believe me, head to Canadian Tire, get them to load test it for you. I guarantee that the battery is NFG.

speedracer
12-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by topher91

Is this a symptom of a dying battery?

Originally posted by CasperWho
You can bring your battey to Canadian Tire, and they will test it FF!

I don't wanna buy a new battery only to find out it was something else.

If you don't believe me, head to Canadian Tire, get them to load test it for you. I guarantee that the battery is NFG.

If your unwilling to do the simple task of getting the battery tested as a first step then you can keep guessing as to what may be the problem.

FiveFreshFish
12-19-2006, 06:29 PM

Ya I was thinking starter too....... but hoping it wasn't haha.

What do those battery tester thingy look like or how does it work?

Chris

It's called a battery load tester. All it does is put a resistive load on your battery to see how well it performs under load.

You have to remove it from the car to test it. It can be tested in the car if it's disconnected. Just remember your radio security code if you still have the OE deck and need to disconnect the battery.

Looks something like this:
http://weisstool.com/store/products/ESI-700.jpg

topher91
12-20-2006, 07:30 PM
That battery indicator is not worth shit.

SOOOO I did take it to Crappy Tire, not because I didn't believe you but because I live next door to it.....

And the guy at crappy tire said that the battery won't hold a charge.

:(

Thanks for your help but you sounded so mad telling me what to do! :cry: HAHA

Anyways, I'd like to get another optima batter for my car if they have it.

Does anyone know the model# for the battery? Crappy tire didn't even carry a replacement battery for this car.

If worse comes to worse, I'll just buy another BMW battery and probably pay out my ass..... :banghead:

Chris

FiveFreshFish
12-20-2006, 07:35 PM
If worse comes to worse, I'll just buy another BMW battery and probably pay out my ass..... :banghead:

A BMW battery will cost you over $200. Just get one at Walmart for about half the price.

Weapon_R
12-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

A BMW battery will cost you over $200. Just get one at Walmart for about half the price.

:werd:

Walmart haha. Aftermarket batteries seem to last longer anyways

topher91
12-20-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Weapon_R

:werd:

Walmart haha. Aftermarket batteries seem to last longer anyways

Well I searched the Optima Battery www but they don't seem to have a battery specifically for my BMW.

Is there one close to it that I can use that you guys know of?

Thanks,

Chris

FiveFreshFish
12-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Does it have to be Optima? Try Sears. I got a Diehard for my E30 M3 for exactly half the price of the BMW one. I believe that battery was a difficult size to find as well.

topher91
12-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Does it have to be Optima? Try Sears. I got a Diehard for my E30 M3 for exactly half the price of the BMW one. I believe that battery was a difficult size to find as well.

Did it work well for your E30? If so I'll just go with that then!

I'll check it out!

Chris

FiveFreshFish
12-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Yes, it did fit without a problem.

Weapon_R
12-20-2006, 09:45 PM
You don't need an optima. Measure your battery and note the location of the posts.

Buy a similarly (or slightly smaller) sized battery from walmart or cdn tire. It's just that easy.

topher91
12-20-2006, 09:48 PM
You don't need an optima. Measure your battery and note the location of the posts.

Buy a similarly (or slightly smaller) sized battery from walmart or cdn tire. It's just that easy.

Ya that's what I was gonna do. I did that for my last car too.

I just thought you guys mite know already if there was one that fit properly.

Chris

topher91
12-22-2006, 10:37 AM

So I picked up an Energizer battery at Walmart for 95 bux +tax.

Threw it in the trunk, and turned the ignition.

The car was having a rough time starting. It was turning over and stuff but wouldn't turn on. So I kept the ignition turned for about 30 seconds before the engine started to really fire up. I was giving it gas everytime I heard the RPM's jump to keep them up there.

I let the ignition off, kept the foot on the gas and then as soon as I let the gas off, ....... the rpms dropped and the car stalled. (My bmw is Auto).

Tried it another 2 or 3 times, never flooring it to avoid flooding the motor. I can already smell all the gas in the air and I was getting a headache haha. :banghead:

Finally gave up, drove back to Walmart and picked up an Optima Redtop for an extra 100 bux.

Got home, threw that in the trunk. Same scenario agian..... :banghead: I was ready to shoot someone. But after the first try of holding down the ignition and giving a little of gas, she started up good and strong again!!! :clap:

Drove it around the block, cleared the gas smell from the cabin and out the motor.

Now she runs great!!! YAY for optima! :thumbsup:

I guess I do need it! haha

** Cliff's notes **

Bought a cheap energizer car battery, didn't work. Tried the Optima Redtop battery and it worked like a charm.

Chris