PDA

View Full Version : sabaru svx

Light_Speed
05-13-2003, 01:07 AM
hey does anyone no anything about these cars
my sister is suppose to be buying one this weekend so i want to know if any one had one of these cars before and if its a good car or not
its a 1992

szw
05-13-2003, 01:38 AM
its a subaru

and its pretty cool

James
05-13-2003, 04:44 AM
Does anyone know if these things come in standard? i have NEVER seen/heard of one? ...pretty cool cars..but if they only come in Auto, its just not worth it....someone told me they had 2 engines, a 4cyl and a 6cyl, and the 4cyl came standard, but the 6 didnt..which is pretty stupid to me.

4wheeldrift
05-13-2003, 06:44 AM
They were never available as a standard, automatic only. They only had one motor, a 3.2L flat 6. They are not bad cars. For all their wicked looks, they aren't anything to write home about performance wise. Wheel bearings tend to be problematic on them (common subaru problem) and the trannies are difficult to get serviced, but other than that she should be ok. Just make sure she gets its serviced by the dealer, I doubt there is anyone else in town who would know enough about them to do anything more than minor repairs.

Gotrek
05-13-2003, 07:16 AM
They are beasts weigh about 3600lbs, have about 230 HP and a tranny that can't handle that much power it tends to be a weak point on those, the tranny is also not geared appropriately for the engine. They only came in automatic. 1/4 mile times is high 15 seconds like 15.8, 15.9. aa Turbo kit is available that adds about 80HP but has no intercooler since there is no good place to mount one without chopping up the front end. Body kits are also available if you look hard enough

Light_Speed
05-13-2003, 12:11 PM
thanks for the help guys
so i guess its a pretty good car to get

Gotrek
05-13-2003, 12:14 PM
Apart from the tranny and the fact it did not come with everything subaru promised it would yes it's a fairly nice car.

(It was supposed to have voice recognition A/C, radio controls :) )

DSM Power
05-13-2003, 07:35 PM
It's still pretty cool looking despite it's age. :)

FiveFreshFish
05-13-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power
It's still pretty cool looking despite it's age. :) :werd:

They're also quite rare so you might drive for days without seeing one.

Hash_man
05-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Ya, they are definately rare cars, but ya the trannies are a problem on them, and brake discs seem to warp easily under hard breaking due to the sheer weight of the beast. But ya, definately a sweet lookin car with fairly good power and AWD :)

The main good thing about these cars, is that new, until 1997 they sold for around 45-50K... and now can be bought for anywhere around 8-13k

T5_X
05-13-2003, 11:08 PM
There is a forum for the SVX. A 5 speed swap can be done, its talked about lots on thier forum. Just do a google search and you'll find it.

Gotrek
05-14-2003, 05:28 AM
Yeah it cost about 7000$ for the 5 speed swap when you factor in everything :)

soloracer
05-14-2003, 04:38 PM
Take a look at e-bay and you will see several SVX's for sale at any given moment. They usually sell for under $3000 US. I heard transmissions were a problem as well. Not alot can be done with them to increase power as there isn't much of an aftermarket for them. I believe they are a 3.3 litre and not a 3.2 as previously mentioned. I considered the engine for my 914 project car but because of the limited aftermarket I changed my mind.

giggles82
05-15-2003, 12:57 AM
eee..no comment on any subaru rides

Nate
05-15-2003, 10:24 AM
Sorry but some of you have your facts wrong.

The SVX motor is a 3.3 L Horizanatally opposed inline Boxer 6 motor. Good motor but the trannies were a problem. Something was wrong with them but Subaru corrected and should have been to the car. The tranny can be converted to a 5 spd for less than $1000 if you can do it. The motor should have been overhauled at 96 000 km. The bearings suck on these cars and go more than others. Make sure this stuff is done before buying or stay away. There are aftermarket stuff for this car. Chip, exhuast. guages etc. My Dad bought one new in 92. Still runs great. I love driving when it's on the road. He went to the 10 anniversary in Indianpolis last year. I have pics and vids from it if you want to see others.

soloracer
05-15-2003, 11:38 PM
Do you have any vids that show what the engine sounds like? I would be curious as to how it sounds compared to a Porsche six.

Light_Speed
05-15-2003, 11:51 PM
ok my sister is not buying this car anymore
we brought it to the machanic and he said that if anything does go wrong with this car it will be pretty expensive to fix and it will take a while to order parts

Ferio_vti
05-16-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Nate
Sorry but some of you have your facts wrong.

The SVX motor is a 3.3 L Horizanatally opposed inline Boxer 6 motor.

Check what you typed up too.

Could you explain how there's a horizontally opposed inline??
That'd be like having a V-6 inline. And calling it a boxer and HO is reduntant.