PDA

View Full Version : insurance companies and body kits

avow
12-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Just wondering if i bought a car with a body kit on it and someone was to hit me (i only have basic coverage) how would you go about covering and replacing your body kit through the insurance company of the person who hit you? has anyone ever run into any problems with this?

Did a quick few searchs on the topic but couldnt find anything. Thanks for your help guys.

Whitetiger
12-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Chances are they won't, unless you get them to appraise your vehicle WITH the "extras"... but that means you might pay more on your preimiums...

Or if you know bodyshop owners or what not, once you get into an accident, get them to "up" the repair cost, and then they'll just buy you a new bodykit that's damaged. That would technically "illegal" though (just so you've been warned)

ercchry
12-13-2006, 04:24 PM
arnt most kits cheaper than oem replacement parts?

SilverBoost
12-13-2006, 04:28 PM
^^^ yes.

avow
12-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Whitetiger
Chances are they won't, unless you get them to appraise your vehicle WITH the "extras"... but that means you might pay more on your preimiums...

Or if you know bodyshop owners or what not, once you get into an accident, get them to "up" the repair cost, and then they'll just buy you a new bodykit that's damaged. That would technically "illegal" though (just so you've been warned)

you are referring to the insurance company of the people that hit you right? i don't plan on getting collision coverage.

Audio_Rookie
12-13-2006, 07:50 PM
should it matter? if you get hit they have to pay....no matter what your insurance is.

Audio_Rookie
12-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
should it matter? if you get hit they have to pay....no matter what your insurance is....or his insurance

Supa Dexta
12-13-2006, 08:20 PM
if you have records (and you should mention it to your insurance, so they know about it) the other guys insurance will cover it, if hes at fault... they have to return the car to the state it was in before the accident.. If you smash it, your out of luck, and your insurance won't give you shit, as you don't have collision..

avow
12-13-2006, 09:26 PM
ok thanks for clearing that one up guys.

sullygully
12-13-2006, 10:17 PM
My insurance company insures me for everything i've done to my car, excluding the engine. And my premiums don't go up by claiming such modifications. So it all depends on the company really

al-ti2d
12-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by sullygully
My insurance company insures me for everything i've done to my car, excluding the engine. And my premiums don't go up by claiming such modifications. So it all depends on the company really

what company are you with?

sullygully
12-14-2006, 12:00 AM
TD Insurance

avow
12-14-2006, 12:01 AM
do you have full coverage on your car?

SilverBoost
12-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by avow
do you have full coverage on your car?

Have you seen his car? I'm gonna say yes. :)

sullygully
12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

Have you seen his car? I'm gonna say yes. :)

:rofl: Yes i have full coverage. But i only pay something like 20 bucks a month more for collision, so its worth it IMO