PDA

View Full Version : Dropping all first sem courses?

writhen
12-13-2006, 06:45 PM
So one of my really good friends is in a dilemma. Basically he tried working two jobs and doing school, which is resulting in him failing pretty much all his courses besides his options course. Now he wants to drop 4/5 of his courses. I think it's too late to drop courses out of UofC now (last date was friday or something). So he wants to know what will happen. My guess is that he will go on academic probation for a year? Maybe not if he gets a really good second semester gpa? What if he had withdrawn from all of his courses....would they account the wasted first semester as a 0gpa?

He's really too embarrassed to go talk to the UPO and wanted to see if anyone on here knew.

7thgenvic
12-13-2006, 06:47 PM
your friend is fucked. he should have dropped last week. i don't think there is much hope for him other then cheating. he'll go on probation for the rest of his university life. SOL

WWJAI
12-13-2006, 06:50 PM
I think you should tell your friend to just drop out of U altogether and have him go back until he actually has the time to do some schooling.

I wasted one year at MRC just because all i cared about was working and my grades were horrible. Now i work less and don't get awesome marks but much better than before. I'm not saying you have to get a crazy gpa but school and work should be balanced so you do decent at least.

writhen
12-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Rest of his life? lol. Isn't probation only for a year? I mean, if you do really good on your probation year don't they take you off it?

Also, if he had dropped all his courses, that semester wouldnt count right? or would they have just given him a 0gpa...cus there wouldnt be any marks. I dont' really wanna tell him he's fucked, cus he's already depressed as hell. Is there any good thing he can do to keep himself in school and not get too far behind? :dunno:

In response to the working and school thing, he got a student loan now, and is quitting work. But he's worried he wont be allowed to even stay in school anymore. What if he had dropped all his courses though? Would it have been better then?

Pihsiak
12-13-2006, 06:59 PM
He should have dropped all and kept one.
This would make him a part time student.

He would only be on probation if after the winter semester his GPA was under 2.0
He would be on probation for the following year. If he could not get his GPA above 2.0 again then he would be asked to withdraw.
If his first year GPA is less than 1.5 or somthing he would be immediatly asked to withdraw. No probation.

He would not be allowed to return to UC for a minimum of 12 months. During this time, he has to take at least 6 half UC equivalent courses with a GPA of 2.3 or 10 courses with an average of 2.0 at another institute before he can apply again.

He should have bucked up and talked to the Guidance ppl in the second floor of Social Science.

Street_Soldier
12-13-2006, 07:05 PM
First of all its too late for him to drop his classes. He needs a really really good excuse to have the school drop his classes. A good excuse is like a death certificate or doctors note.

Nothing will happen right away. The university reviews students at the end of the Winter Semester. If by that time his gpa is less than 2.0 he will be put on probation. If his gpa is less than 1.7 I think he will be kicked out of school.

2 options

A
If his gpa is greater than 1.7 and less than 2.0 he will be allowed to continue his education at the University the following year, but in that year he has to have a gpa greater than 2.0 or he will be kicked out.

B
At this point he can go to Mount Royal (or some other institution that will accept him) boost up his grades and reapply to the University in the Fall. His gpa will need to be 2.0 to get back in th University of Calgary in the communication faculty. If he wants to get back into engineerong or management they will have to be a lot higher.

Dont quote me on any of this. This is just what I understand they do. Your budy is not screwed the University gives people many chances exception to Haskyn (sp??) which is a lot more strict than all the other faculties.

writhen
12-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
He should have dropped all and kept one.
This would make him a part time student.

He would only be on probation if after the winter semester his GPA was under 2.0
He would be on probation for the following year. If he could not get his GPA above 2.0 again then he would be asked to withdraw.
If his first year GPA is less than 1.5 or somthing he would be immediatly asked to withdraw. No probation.

He would not be allowed to return to UC for a minimum of 12 months. During this time, he has to take at least 6 half UC equivalent courses with a GPA of 2.3 or 10 courses with an average of 2.0 at another institute before he can apply again.

He should have bucked up and talked to the Guidance ppl in the second floor of Social Science.

So you're saying if he had dropped all of his courses except his options course, he could've survived? Then they would have just taken first year GPA from the one course he took in first sem and the 5 courses he took in second sem? IE, First semester gpa would be whatever he got on the one course, second semester gpa would be the avg of what he got in the 5 winter sem courses; and they just take the average of the two gpa's?

So now his only option then is to do good enough to not go below 1.5 and get kicked out, or get 2.0 or higher and not go on probation at all. Let me know if I have all this info right so I can tell him. Thanks all of you for your help :burnout:

camby
12-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Your buddy is screwed. Tell him to drop out of university and re-evaluate his priorities.

thinmyster
12-13-2006, 07:11 PM
is your buddy you?

tell him to get in the library and start studying

WWJAI
12-13-2006, 07:12 PM
If your buddy gets an F (0 GPA) in the first semester by taking 5 courses..wouldn't he have to get at least an b+ or a- in 5 courses next semester to not drop below 1.5..? i'm assuming it be around there.

writhen
12-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Hahaha, nah man I'm doing fine. I'm just really worried about him because he is having some home issues as well. Just wanted to see if there was any good news so he isn't too depressed.

Pihsiak
12-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by writhen

So you're saying if he had dropped all of his courses except his options course, he could've survived? Then they would have just taken first year GPA from the one course he took in first sem and the 5 courses he took in second sem? IE, First semester gpa would be whatever he got on the one course, second semester gpa would be the avg of what he got in the 5 winter sem courses; and they just take the average of the two gpa's?

So now his only option then is to do good enough to not go below 1.5 and get kicked out, or get 2.0 or higher and not go on probation at all. Let me know if I have all this info right so I can tell him. Thanks all of you for your help :burnout:

If he had held on to 1 class in Fall and taken 5 in Winter. then his first year GPA would have been calculated by 6 classes.

He would also have had 4 withdrawns on his record. A student is only allowed to withdraw 10 courses over their stay at UC.

His options now (having not dropped any courses has failed all 5 Falls) is to Ace every one of his 5 classes in winter to pull a 2.0 and not be on probation. If he doesn't Ace it, and gets less than 1.7 (lowest being 3 A- and 2 B+) then he's a gonner.

camby
12-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Its harsh but your buddy will probably have to drop out of university. Get him to the dean ASAP and see what he says. Sometimes the dean can pull some strings.

Street_Soldier
12-13-2006, 07:32 PM
At this stage the dean will probably not do anything for you. His best bet is to go to his profs and ask them if they can have his final worth more than his course work. A friend of mine had many of his finals worth 100% of this grade.

Freeway2k
12-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Go to the Dean.
Beg.
Convince him/her that next semester will be different.
Beg.

GTS Jeff
12-13-2006, 10:31 PM
I think it's a bit too soon to be throwing in the towel. It sounds like "your friend" is in 1st or 2nd year. If that's the case, he's taking 1st and 2nd year classes. Those classes, while not necessarily 'easy' are definitely manageable. If he has the self discipline to make himself go hard for a few days, he could probably study enough to pass all his classes. The problem with people in general is that they're fuckin quitters!!

There is no failure except in no longer trying.

Cruz
12-13-2006, 10:44 PM
So one of my really good friends is in a dilemma. Basically he tried working two jobs and doing school, which is resulting in him failing pretty much all his courses besides his options course.

I work two jobs and keep a 3.0+ GPA. It's not easy by any stretch but it's definitely doable.

writhen
12-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Alright thanks for all the info guys. So I basically told him to go talk to the Dean, try his best at his finals, and try his best at the next sem courses. Beyond that I guess it is up to him. Thanks for all the info. :thumbsup:

Whitetiger
12-14-2006, 12:32 AM
so hard to work and go to school

Ajay
12-14-2006, 02:29 AM
I'm pretty sure even if he wanted to drop all his courses you have to get permission from the Registrar to drop all courses for a semester.

I doubt the Dean will do anything for him if he tells him he was working two jobs and not paying any attention in school. A Dean of a faculty will have no sympathy for someone who doesn't take his education seriously.

AsianCaucasian
12-14-2006, 02:39 AM
It's not possible to be put on probation for next semester. It is on a per year basis. If you are in Haskayne and you drop below a 2.0 average in a year, you must score above 2.0 in your next semester or be withdrawn for 12 months.

rc2002
12-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I think it's a bit too soon to be throwing in the towel. It sounds like "your friend" is in 1st or 2nd year. If that's the case, he's taking 1st and 2nd year classes. Those classes, while not necessarily 'easy' are definitely manageable. If he has the self discipline to make himself go hard for a few days, he could probably study enough to pass all his classes. The problem with people in general is that they're fuckin quitters!!

:werd: Finals are usually 50% (or close to it). If he takes a week off and studies full time, he should easily be able to pass his courses.

nos_efx
12-14-2006, 09:55 AM
If I'm not mistaken because it is pass the deadline for withdrawals he cannot withdraw out of those courses? This would result in 4 F's and 1 legitimate mark? I can't remember how the rules go since I've been out for about a year and a half.

He would then have to pull at B's and a A to pull him over the 1.7 mark.

I would not even bother going to do the finals, if he's done poorly throughout the entire semester then he is likely going to do poorly on the final exam.

But yes do talk to the profs/dean to see what his options are, from the looks of it this will be a good/difficult lesson for your buddy, hope he makes it through this time.

PaleRider
12-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by nos_efx

I would not even bother going to do the finals, if he's done poorly throughout the entire semester then he is likely going to do poorly on the final exam.

I agree.

Plus it's unlikely he will get all As and high Bs next semester since he did so poorly this year. IMO it's time to check out MRC, lots of MRC courses are tranferrable so next year is not a total loss anyways and the mark requirement is lower (2 or 2.3 to re-apply UC)

GTS Jeff
12-14-2006, 08:09 PM
The problem with people in general is that they're fuckin quitters!!

Originally posted by PaleRider
Plus it's unlikely he will get all As and high Bs next semester since he did so poorly this year. IMO it's time to check out MRC,

:rofl: :rofl: :nut: :nut: :banghead:

See what I mean...fuckin quitters everywhere. I bet these Johnny-success-stories here were nodding your heads when Homer Simpson said, "If at first you don't succeed, give up." :rolleyes:

nos_efx
12-15-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm not a quitter, but at some point you are going to have to cut your losses and start over. I think it's a little too far in to the semester to attempt the finals.

Don't be stubborn and believe in some miracle that your buddy is going to ACE all of his final exams, if he's a genius and manages to pull it off then great for him. But for all the normal people out there, its quite probable that he has very little grasp of the material that was taught throughout the year and will not be able to pick it up in time for the exams.

IMO.

ogpog
12-15-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm not a quitter, but at some point you are going to have to cut your losses and start over.

:werd:

msommers
12-15-2006, 11:45 AM
See what I mean...fuckin quitters everywhere. I bet these Johnny-success-stories here were nodding your heads when Homer Simpson said, "If at first you don't succeed, give up" :rolleyes:

Or trying is the first step towards failure!:D

You have no chance of getting your money back so you're fucked there. But why bother garuntee getting a 0 by not going? Even if the chances are slime he gets a 90% on his finals doesn't mean it can't happen.

Just think about writing any test. Do you leave shit blank because you don't know it and garuntee you get 0 on the question? Not a fuckin chance! You pull shit out of your ass like no buddy's business and hope something worked out. I just can't see some people's logic on this.

If he can't manage working and doing school at the same time, then he needs to do less of one, both don't seem to be manageable. If he can, school should be more important than working IMO

nos_efx
12-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Yes while this is true, it is to my understanding he hasn't been attending class and not doing his work, whatever he puts down there opposed to the blank spot might as well be blank.

Whereas if you don't know the question and have attended the classes and done the work, at least you can put something educated down.

Originally posted by msommers

Just think about writing any test. Do you leave shit blank because you don't know it and garuntee you get 0 on the question? Not a fuckin chance! You pull shit out of your ass like no buddy's business and hope something worked out. I just can't see some people's logic on this.

msommers
12-15-2006, 12:21 PM
The way I see it, something is better than nothing

GTS Jeff
12-15-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm not a quitter, but at some point you are going to have to cut your losses and start over. I think it's a little too far in to the semester to attempt the finals.

Don't be stubborn and believe in some miracle that your buddy is going to ACE all of his final exams, if he's a genius and manages to pull it off then great for him. But for all the normal people out there, its quite probable that he has very little grasp of the material that was taught throughout the year and will not be able to pick it up in time for the exams.

IMO.

FUCK THAT! I've been there and done that before. I've been in school for long enough to know what works and what doesn't. As I said earlier, junior level courses, no matter what the subject area, can only contain so much material (which is not that much.) Download the notes, buy the textbook, whatever, you are basically gauranteed to be able to go over all the notes at least once if you go hard for 1-2 days. Finals are worth a lot too, so there's always a chance for redemption. Another thing is, buddy doesn't have to pass all his classes. As long as he passes a few, he won't get put on probation.

The problem with not even trying is that you are gauranteeing yourself a zero; it'd wouldn't be the course screwing you over, it'd be you screwing yourself over. If you at least put in the a token effort, you can sleep at night knowing you're not a deadpan loser that can't pull his shit together even tryyyy for a junior level course.

Whatever, if buddy quits, then it's really his loss, not mine. I've laid out what he needs to do now, and it's his choice. People like him make life a lot easier for me by bringing the curve down.

BTW, I'm off to write a midterm in an hour here for a course where I haven't been to lecture at all for. I intend on passing it...or maybe I should just give up now?

nos_efx
12-15-2006, 02:24 PM
^ OMG

I graduated from CPSC, there are some SENG courses that I did not bother going to classes however I did do the assignments and put the time in to study throughout the entire semester.

What you are saying is that you can get a passing grade, mind you most finals are not worth more the 50% even for first year courses, without going to lectures doing the regular assignments and quizzes throughout the year and take 2 days to read god knows how many pages and expect to pass?

I'd honestly like to see you do this in CSPC.

IMO, I assume he's got a little over a week to prepare for 4 courses that he is currently failing plus another course he is doing somewhat well in (option course, meaning the others are core and likely harder), I honestly do not know how much information he can cram in his head within that time frame and expect to pass.

It may be worth it to concentrate on 2 or 3 but you have to know when to cut a loss.

writhen
12-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Well an update guys, He tried to pass his calculus and chem finals, but says he failed both. However, he says he did really well on his computer science final and his options course final. The only one left then is his physics final on sat. If he does well on that, he probably wont get probation right? (3 pass 2 fail out of a total of 5 courses). This is all assuming that his final mark is enough to pass him in the course.

Either way, I'd really not like to start another beyond bitchfest over this. Just looking for some advice. So take it easy guys....lol.:drama:

max_boost
12-15-2006, 02:52 PM

There is no failure except in no longer trying. LOL

GTS_Jeff is so fucking brutally honest. :rofl: :rofl:
Basically summed up my first two years of University. I think back now, WTF was I doing dropping all those junior courses, they weren't that hard. Junior courses in social sciences, humanities isn't rocket science, it was all m/c and memorization. :banghead: :nut:

At the same time I can also sympathize and understand why you feel the need to drop the courses. Just try again next time right :D

Pihsiak
12-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Well an update guys, He tried to pass his calculus and chem finals, but says he failed both. However, he says he did really well on his computer science final and his options course final. The only one left then is his physics final on sat. If he does well on that, he probably wont get probation right? (3 pass 2 fail out of a total of 5 courses). This is all assuming that his final mark is enough to pass him in the course.

Either way, I'd really not like to start another beyond bitchfest over this. Just looking for some advice. So take it easy guys....lol.:drama:

A pass equals 50%. a Final is worth 50%. If he failed everything before that and went in with a 0, he would need 100% on the final to get a D-. A 0.3 out of 4.o

If he passed a final, (got 50-99%) he still acheived less than 49% in general and would have failed the class.
So no. The way you think, "3 pass and 2 fail" does not work at all.

Realistically speaking in order to do at least 50, he would have needed to get 40% on his assignements and midterms and scored a 60% on his final.

GTS Jeff
12-15-2006, 09:25 PM
^ OMG

I graduated from CPSC, there are some SENG courses that I did not bother going to classes however I did do the assignments and put the time in to study throughout the entire semester.

What you are saying is that you can get a passing grade, mind you most finals are not worth more the 50% even for first year courses, without going to lectures doing the regular assignments and quizzes throughout the year and take 2 days to read god knows how many pages and expect to pass?

I'd honestly like to see you do this in CSPC.

IMO, I assume he's got a little over a week to prepare for 4 courses that he is currently failing plus another course he is doing somewhat well in (option course, meaning the others are core and likely harder), I honestly do not know how much information he can cram in his head within that time frame and expect to pass.

It may be worth it to concentrate on 2 or 3 but you have to know when to cut a loss. I've taken plenty of classes where the final has been worth anything from 60% to 80%. Junior level courses are usually structured this way because the classes are a lot bigger and the logistics of administering more than a midterm and final are too difficult. Then again, I wasn't in computing. Either way, I'm glad writhen's friend is trying.