PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to "Getting Cut/Big"

TrU3pLaYa786
12-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey guys, I just want to get started to get ripped or alittle biggier, not BIG, but somewhat bigger with muscles, more ripped, but a little big is good.
I'm 16 and I know nothing whatsoever about weights or anything. I think a benchpress would be a good start? I want a ripped/cut look.. both stomach and arms.. (I know, alot of reps, less weight)..

So is a benchpress good? What weights should I start with?

I' just turned 16, and I'm about 115-118 lb.

Question.. Kids who are the same size as me, but are alittle bbigger, they weigh alot more, why?

Thank you...

Sorry.. I'm about 5' 7'

RASPY
12-13-2006, 08:07 PM
genetics.

acura_el
12-13-2006, 08:57 PM
check out www.bodybuilding.com. all your questions answered and a lot of advice to prevent hurting yourself if you're just starting :thumbsup:

Kona9
12-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Don't sweat it man!! I didn't reach 5 feet tall until grade 12. Im 5'10" 185lbs, 30 and have only started filling out decently for the past 5-6 years.

Some people just develope different. I have been small most of my life.

Stay healthy and do your work outs, but don't worry so much about what the others your age might weigh etc. You can't control genetics.

I understand you are 16 and image matters more than it used to, but just make the right decisions if you choose to go down the "I want to be bigger" route.

Having many friends who went as far as to do the whole Steroid deal, (due to image based reasoning) Some had issues, and the ones that didn't have any ended up fat due to not maintaining the work out regime.

Not to sound fatherly or anything, just make solid decisions while trying to get big!!

Good luck in your gains.

Cheers

VW02
12-13-2006, 10:01 PM
How tall are you? A height might help. I cant really tell you what weight to use because I have no idea how strong you are etc. But maybe 20 a side? Ive seen some small guys do that so maybe you should start off with that. If you are only 118lbs, maybe you should get some mass before you can start cutting. You cant cut nothing...

Whitetiger
12-13-2006, 10:38 PM
If you're just in it (like the whole BIG MUSCLE) thing because of the chicks, I suggest you concentrate on the $$$. I don't mean go out of "shape" (i.e. body fat, etc...), but in the adult world, FROM PERSONAL EXPENIENCE (i.e. from seeing good friend-girls going for the rich boys who are idiots and dinks and not muscle-fit), you can achieve a lot with $$$ and girls.

VW02
12-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Whitetiger
If you're just in it (like the whole BIG MUSCLE) thing because of the chicks, I suggest you concentrate on the $$$. I don't mean go out of "shape" (i.e. body fat, etc...), but in the adult world, FROM PERSONAL EXPENIENCE (i.e. from seeing good friend-girls going for the rich boys who are idiots and dinks and not muscle-fit), you can achieve a lot with $$$ and girls.

Why would you want to go for a girl who is only after your money? Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard. He clearly said in his original post that he didnt want to get huge, maybe gain a little but he mainly wanted to tone up etc. Doesnt matter the reason, just help him achieve his goal. Thanks.

3G
12-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Quick Mass i swear by that stuff but prepare for a bit of a belly

TrevorK
12-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by VW02

Why would you want to go for a girl who is only after your money? Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

For the same reason you'd want to go for a girl who's only after your ripped/toned body ;)

TrevorK
12-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Just a general comment, but it sounds like you want the "Brad Pitt in Fight Club" look?

If so, keep in mind that results like that will take time and dedication. Most people will need to maintain a very strict diet and rigourous exercise routine (And yes there are some genetic freaks who don't need to watch as much).

Most people who try to go for a goal like this often end up disappointed because it doesn't happen as quick as they want. Commit to making this a lifestyle change.

hjr
12-14-2006, 10:59 AM
you need to bulk THEN cut. get bigger muscles with a high caloric and protein diet while doing heavy weights at lower reps. this is how muscles grow in the most simple sense. low wight and high reps is for girls who are afraid of getting any bigger. then once you have attained the desired size, you cut down the calories and start more cardio to loose the fat you will inevitably will have put on (usually not too much).

bulk, then cut. bulk, then cut. bulk, then cut.

or you could just do steroids. :rofl:

Darkane
12-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by hjr
you need to bulk THEN cut. get bigger muscles with a high caloric and protein diet while doing heavy weights at lower reps. this is how muscles grow in the most simple sense. low wight and high reps is for girls who are afraid of getting any bigger. then once you have attained the desired size, you cut down the calories and start more cardio to loose the fat you will inevitably will have put on (usually not too much).

bulk, then cut. bulk, then cut. bulk, then cut.

or you could just do steroids. :rofl:

Bulking then cutting is not the case anymore. Its called Total body Recomposition. LOTS and I mean LOTS of info can be found about this at Ironaddicts.com. Im personally right now doing this WITHOUT even supplements.. Im only taking unflavored protein, and I am losing fat WHILE building muscle. Sounds impossible? I thought so too. I actually hired the owner of the site to Train me and he has been doing so for the last 7weeks.

Just a little teaser.. In 7.5 weeks Ive dropped 11pounds of FAT, Increased my Squat max by 25+, deadlift by 20+ and bench 10+. This is all WHILE cutting ;) The most important thing is getting your food macros in order and doing lots of fat burning cardio and NOT overtraining. OP, Pm me with any specific questions if you want or go to ironaddicts.

KenP
12-14-2006, 11:46 AM
EAT EAT EAT

You can go to the gym seven days a week, if you are not getting enough calories you are not going to gain any weight. To me it sounds like you are an ectomorph, if this is the case it's hard for you to gain weight? So this means you need to eat any and everything in sight. Try a dirty bulk, personally they are my favorite. You can go out and eat 15 cheese burgers and not feel guilty, instead you know you will be gaining some weight!

I suggest you pick up some protein powder and gatoraide powder. Mix these two and drink it 15-20 minutes after your work out.

Also a weight gainer wouldn't hurt, IMO Muscle Juice has the best bang for the buck. Stay away from the chocolate and strawberry flavors. They are a little bit more difficult to mix in a shaker.

As for a good program, anything with compound exercises. Bench Press *Flat, Inclined* Declined*, Dead Lifts, Squats are all great.

Remember your legs are your biggest muscle group. Working them as hard if not harder than the rest of your body will promote growth all over. Also when guys have huge upper bodies and skinny ass chicken legs the ladies will notice. :D

Good luck in your quest for a new body.

Feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

eeseen racing
12-14-2006, 01:30 PM
haha the top portion of this thread was the dumbest thing i have ever read. but it got better after the comment of $$ and genetics. yes eat your face off you ahve to gain mass to be able to put on muscle size and do heavy weight low reps. make sure you focus on everyhting not just benchpress. you need to focus arms legs back chest shoulders etc, look on google for some beginer workout plans

TrU3pLaYa786
12-14-2006, 04:54 PM
5' 7' is my height.. I only wanna start with benchpress, cuz it's the only machine that seems easy and "able to do".. for me..

BTW I've been 115 for like ever.. but i've noticed i "have" been getting alittle body fatted.. since i'm tryign to eat more than i use to.

GTS Jeff
12-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by TrU3pLaYa786
5' 7' is my height.. I only wanna start with benchpress, cuz it's the only machine that seems easy and "able to do".. for me..

BTW I've been 115 for like ever.. but i've noticed i "have" been getting alittle body fatted.. since i'm tryign to eat more than i use to. Sounds like you just need to find a buddy who goes to the gym to show you the ropes.

nos_efx
12-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Guys please remember he JUST turned 16.....

Your body is not yet finished developing... Do not worry about getting huge and cut... you are 16 years old.

Just take it easy go to the gym, do the bench press with light weight. Don't just workout on the bench do the complete package, some links posted above will be sufficient in getting you started. Wait till you are a bit older then starting really getting into it.

Just eat right, I don't think at this stage you really need to be taking protein or quick gains formulas, again you are still very young.

Take your time.

ercchry
12-14-2006, 05:22 PM
^^ i dont think he is that young to start getting big. i played football in high school and at that age alot of the guys on the team were taking supplements and getting pretty cut even the smaller guys and thoughs guys never did bench at the gym

dumb bells are the way to go for upper body that and pec fly. and then squats and dead lift for the lower body/core

VW02
12-14-2006, 11:44 PM
If he started to do heavy weights, you guys think it would affect his growth (height wise) in any way? Like if he put on 15 lbs in like 3 months, would it affect anything?

smontyLS1
12-15-2006, 12:05 AM
no reason to start heavy weight lifting right off the bat.
in terms of mass you will need to bulk up as in just gain weight, once you have body mass you can build it into muscle and then trim down afterwards, if you look at any of those "miracle work-outs/diet" books the guys are always fat before they trim down and get ripped. Since your young you may just wanna do a couple different work outs once a week

tuesday- chest ( flat and incline bench) and triceps
thursday- back and biceps
saturday- cardio and core (and legs?)

ALWAYS CONCENTRATE ON FORM OVER WEIGHT
when you get to a gym dont compete, just do your thing and do it properly.

But like what was said before, you'll want to go to a more dedicated weightlifting board for advice.

liquidboi69
12-15-2006, 07:01 PM
If it makes you feel better, I'm 5'8" and im like... 113 lbs. I go to UofC gym at least twice a week and 2 times at the Edgemont WHSC. I started since.... Beginning of schoool, so far ive notice pecs, delts, and traps growing, and a bit of biceps. I should work my legs as much but i dont... lol. From what I hear, stay away from machines, free weights are th best I think. Btw this isn't my account its my friends. My bench is the shit too lol... 10-15 on each side only...

Im just doing Dumb Bell bench presses on a bench or a ball and dips :D till i get some results then ill be back on the bench.

eeseen racing
12-15-2006, 08:47 PM
well it is true to gain mass you do want to use more primary movements and exercises which are mostly weights not machines

LEGS!! if you work your legs hard and equally as much as the rest of your body you will notice more gains..
not lying legs let off the most test and other elements since they are such big muscles keep that in mind

VW02
12-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
If it makes you feel better, I'm 5'8" and im like... 113 lbs. I go to UofC gym at least twice a week and 2 times at the Edgemont WHSC. I started since.... Beginning of schoool, so far ive notice pecs, delts, and traps growing, and a bit of biceps. I should work my legs as much but i dont... lol. From what I hear, stay away from machines, free weights are th best I think. Btw this isn't my account its my friends. My bench is the shit too lol... 10-15 on each side only...

Im just doing Dumb Bell bench presses on a bench or a ball and dips :D till i get some results then ill be back on the bench.

Holy you are extemely skinny. Yea free weights are really good because they work for stabalization too, thats a pretty big advantage to them. You weigh less than a lot of girls, who are even shorter than you...So start working hard, you got a lot of catching up to do.

eeseen racing
12-16-2006, 12:15 AM
free weights dont gain size/mass/ cant lift as much u want to hit bars they will let you lift more weight

TrU3pLaYa786
12-16-2006, 12:31 AM
I think most of you got it wrong.. I simply want to get somewhat ripped.. not big as a body builder guy.. Like.. Some nice cuts would be nice.. alittle stronger would be nice.. is 20 on each side light or heavy? I want to start high reps, low weights.. that way i dont gain too much much, and get cut.. Plus this is to harden up the little fat i got on my face/ stomach

VW02
12-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by TrU3pLaYa786
I think most of you got it wrong.. I simply want to get somewhat ripped.. not big as a body builder guy.. Like.. Some nice cuts would be nice.. alittle stronger would be nice.. is 20 on each side light or heavy? I want to start high reps, low weights.. that way i dont gain too much much, and get cut.. Plus this is to harden up the little fat i got on my face/ stomach

What we were saying was someone who is 113 lbs or whatever you are needs to gain something to cut down on. If your arms are already twigs, how do you expect to "cut" nothing?

KenP
12-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by VW02

What we were saying was someone who is 113 lbs or whatever you are needs to gain something to cut down on. If your arms are already twigs, how do you expect to "cut" nothing?

Exactly, if you want to get toned you need some mass to tone. Please read my above post. Your tiny ass needs to EAT EAT EAT, put on some MASS and then from there just continue to work out and maintain what you have gained.

jumperman8
12-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Your 16, Do lots of push-ups and sit ups.

Wait until your 17-18 before you try to go really hard to bulk up. You will find once your body is more developed and closer to being done growing you will see better results.

Eat, EAt, EAt and possibly get a good solid protien shake.

Make sure that you do cardio still because you dont want to end up getting fat. But if i were your size right now i would def. suggest getting into a push up program. If you want one i can send you a few. Also a solid core, ab work out.

To get to the Cut point, and be cut/ripped, you have to have sufficient amounts of muscle mass. You cant rip out bone structore and fat. Try to gain size, nothing crazy, and then start on a tonning program.

Understand it will take you more then a year to see extreme results. So pace yourself and make sure you are willing to put in the work.

TrU3pLaYa786
12-17-2006, 01:10 AM
Send me a push up program.. that would be nice. Thanks.. private message it or something?

bbcman
12-22-2006, 05:54 PM
the best thing that you can do is find a good trainer in your area. somebody that can not only write you out your plan but help you with your diet. when i say diet it doesnt mean eat less it means helping you hit your protein needs. alot of people dont even come close to the amount of protein that they should eat if they want to build lean mass. dont forget their is a HUGE difference between building lean mass and adding weight.

if you start supplementing with whey make sure that its a nice clean isolate. dont just cram anything down your mouth cuz you want to gain size. as you get older your bodies metabolism will start to slow down and if you train your body to take in large amounts of food you will find it hard to ween off of it.

i can only speak about my own personal progress. im about 5 ft 7 and i weigh 180 pounds 28 yrs old. for me it was never a problem to gain size it was a problem to gain lean mass. and it still is. what youre planning to do is a lifestyle not a passing fad. the best thing that i can tell you is make sure that you work your whole body make good splits your trainer should be able to help you out with this.

(example)

day 1 - chest
day 2 - delts (front, rear and side)
day 3 - legs
day 4 - back
day 5 - bis and tris

i cant stress this enough you have to hit all these msucles if you want to gain. the legs (although a pain in the ass) are so important. there have been studies done that prove your legs help to release certain hormones that assist in the growth of the rest of your body.

dont worry about how much you are lifting either concentrate on REALLY GOOD form. Work the negative hard and for mass go with 4 sets 12-10-8-6 (reps that is) that will help for you to get the most out of your muscles. and make sure that your rest in between is nothing more than 90 seconds this will help to keep your heart rate up and give you a bit of cardio in your workout.

if you have any other questions drop me a pm. i hope this was helpful 786

writhen
01-03-2007, 12:16 PM
You're 16. Here is the best advice I can give you. Wait and be patient. You will grow, you will get stronger. For now, get a partner. Older brother, dad, older friend, someone who knows the ropes at the gym. Try out a few basic exercises. These include bench press, lunges, squats, leg press, curls, skullcrushers, etc. Don't kill yourself, just take it easy and try to learn god form. Good form is absolutely KEY. I can't mention this enough. Also PLEASE have a knowledgeable partner. This is key to future success at your age.

I want a ripped/cut look.. both stomach and arms.. (I know, alot of reps, less weight)..

No, high rep/low weight won't do anything to get you 'ripped and cut'. The only thing that will is cardio, and that too the right type of cardio. This is a whole different chapter in training, but for starters check out interval training (HIIT).

Also remember, a couple protien shakes a day won't hurt anyone.

MSP Kirk
01-31-2007, 04:21 AM
Man if you're 5'7" and 115ish cutting is not the thing to do. You'll just look like a tiny toothpick. The best thing to do is eat tons, get a weight gainer protein with tons of calories and grams of protein and hit the gym with a fairly good plan. Alot of guys when they are your age (me included a few years ago) just want to work out what the ladies see (upperbody) but working out yoru legs is detrimental to gain mass. Also at yoru age don;t do too heavy of weights as it can damage your joints and growth plates. Then once you get up to a more ideal weight for your size 150+ start to cut then.

SiR_lyfe
01-31-2007, 08:17 AM
start off with lower weight, and plan in a week or two to step it up 5 or 10 pounds, even if you cant do it get a spot to try and pump out a few.

yeh and definitly check out bodybuilding.com jump on some NO-xplode and maybe some NuCare T3's they will help you out.

bench is a tuff one, you definitly need someone there to spot, i say start with dumbells until you got the balance part down. then hop on the bench . maybe start 30/40 pound dumbells. and after every set try if you can to go up 5 or 10.

when your good with that. hit the bench up (posbably in a few months) start there with 25 a side. and see what you can do.

remember: try and max yourself out theres no point going really light, as you siad you want to get big. so see what you can do.

last, you cant really get cut and big at the same time, trying getting big first then cut down

SiR_lyfe
01-31-2007, 08:18 AM
oh yeh, try and eat alot of carbs like rice or potatoes and lots of meat. at lest 3 times a day, but you want 5 times a day. This is how your going to gain some weight. it has to be fat first remember. then with training it will turn into muscle

this is my workout. ive been training for 6 years now. i started at 145lbs now im 205lbs

monday: chest
tuesday: legs
wednesday: arms
thursday: shoulders
friday: off
saturday: back
sunday:off

** obviously there are changes from week to week**

try not too miss legs, you gian the most weight