PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Wheel - December 13, 2006 - Right Turn on Red

skidmark
12-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Right Turn on Red

If you have not commented on right turns at red lights you might want to consider it. I see so many people that fail to stop at a red light when turning right. They seem to feel that all they have to do is yield. Unless the rules have changed, it requires a full stop before turning.

The reader is correct. If you wish to turn right at an intersection where a red light is displayed you may do so if it is not prohibited by a sign. You must have come to a complete stop at the stop line, crosswalk or before interfering with cross traffic as the case may be and yielded to any cross traffic that might be present. Having done all of this, you may then turn right.

Beware, while this is allowed in British Columbia, it may not be the case in other states and provinces. Check the local rules before you attempt this elsewhere!

Is it any wonder that more than 50% of crashes in our province occur at an intersection? Drivers that fail to follow the rules to save time put us all at risk, especially if we are pedestrians.

Is it worth the couple of seconds saved if the action results in a collision? The possibilty of a "T-bone" is high in a case like this. I don't know about you, but my driver's door doesn't seem anywhere near strong enough to prevent another vehicle from intruding into the passenger compartment and causing significant injury to me.

Reference Links (http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/current.htm)

barbarian
12-17-2006, 10:44 PM
If the roads are slippery, and I'm turning right on a red, I don't even signal until after I've stopped--otherwise, the driver behind me assumes that I will just blow through and has a good chance of plowing into the back.