PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling Airline Tickets HELP!

Manhattan
12-15-2006, 02:51 PM
[Blank]

jus_sum_guy
12-15-2006, 03:37 PM
You can't transfer credit to someone else. It has to be used by you only.
You can try talking the airline into transferring it to someone elses name, but chances are extremely slim.

Manhattan
12-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Godamnit! Are you serious? There's gotta be a way around that. I can't afford this many vacations!

jus_sum_guy
12-15-2006, 03:41 PM
I only know this cause I'm a travel agent. I also just asked a more senior agent here in the office and he said the same thing...

EDIT: I don't know why you had to cancel, but if it was for a good enough reason, travel insurance would've covered it.

Manhattan
12-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Oh man, what a rip. Can you ask your senior agent if there are any loopholes? There's always loopholes. Like can't I fake my own death or something? Heh

Plus, the 2 grand was for 2 people. So we each individually have 1 grand of credit to use for ourselves?

jus_sum_guy
12-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Like can't I fake my own death or something? Heh

:rofl:

Only thing you can do is call them and try to convince them to transfer it to someone else. BUT, that other person would need to book the trip right away IF the airline agrees to give it to them.

Other than that, you each have $1000 to spend. Take a few trips to Vegas or something next year :thumbsup:

Manhattan
12-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Man, I do not have the $$$ to be spending an extra 2 grand this year on vacations. This is really really bad. I'm gonna call them up and be real persistant that I need more flexibility with the credit.

And this idea just came to me. Couldn't I just use that credit to book again, but purchase travel cancellation coverage this time around and get my money back that way?

Appreciate the help

Manhattan
12-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Does travel insurance come with all bookings? I booked with Expedia.ca but didn't purchase any extra travel insurance or trip cancellation coverage.

What would you consider to be a "good reason"?

EDIT: Oh man this just keeps getting worse and worse. I checked the US Airways website and non-refundable tickets have "no residual value" meaning if you use the $1000 credit to purchase a $200 Vegas flight, the rest of the $800 credit is lost. WTF!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

jus_sum_guy
12-15-2006, 04:14 PM
You can purchase travel insurance for any booking....

The insurance company won't cover ANY credit files. They know you already cancelled, and they will realize that you're ust buying insurance to cancel again and get your money back. They will find out it was a credit file when you go to cancel and they go to investigate.

A good reason would include being sick and your doctor advising that you shouldn't travel.
An immediate family member becoming ill that requires you to stay in town.
If the above situations happened to your travelling companion, you both would be covered.
There's too many reasons for me to go over right now. It doesn't matter anyway cuse you can't but insurance anymore.

You have to use the entire $1000 at once or you lose whatever is not used. Airlines always try to screw you over lol

szw
12-15-2006, 06:19 PM
america west airlines is a bitch. especially if you booked through expedia or one of those sites. you are basically screwed. They wouldn't even give me credit, tickets were nonrefundable.

Manhattan
12-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Why would they not even offer you credit? I'm sure if you make a big deal out of it they would've made an exception. I'm planning to move the credit out of my name by making a big scene, over the phone, of course. Has anyone had success in this area???

BlackArcher101
12-16-2006, 03:01 AM
I don't know if what jus_sum_guy said only applies to American Airlines... but I've been able to transfer airline credits with no problems whatsoever with other airlines.

Here's an idea. Call them instead of asking us.

szw
12-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Why would they not even offer you credit? I'm sure if you make a big deal out of it they would've made an exception. I'm planning to move the credit out of my name by making a big scene, over the phone, of course. Has anyone had success in this area???

Wait, you haven't even talked to them? You should have called them immediately instead of coming here.

Anyways I lied. I could have received credit for my airflight which only cost about $230 however in order to use that on a different flight I needed (same airline) they charged a lot of transaction fees. It was cheaper for me to just leave the original flight and book a new one.

I forgot about this when originally posting in this thread, sorry.

jdmakkord
12-16-2006, 11:24 AM
There are only a couple of airlines that would allow you to transfer the credit. The only one in North America I can think of is Westjet. Aside from that, good luck, because aside from a credit minus a penalty, you wont get anything else out of them.

Manhattan
12-16-2006, 11:53 AM
I came here after they told me they would give me a credit because I want to get my story straight before I call them up again. Each time you call them they make a note of what happened and if I'm going to make an excuse to get my credit transfered I don't want to change my story...

Cruz
12-16-2006, 12:14 PM
You CAN buy a ticket for someone else. Why not list a $2000 airline credit in the marketplace and buy a ticket for someone else?

All you need to find is someone who plans on traveling in the next few months (or before Sep 2007) and purchase their ticket for them. You would obviously have to offer them an incentive such as a few hundred dollars off but I don't see why you wouldn't recuperate most of the money.