PDA

View Full Version : Ground coffee recommendations?

Sykes
12-16-2006, 03:39 PM
This is a question for the coffee connoisseurs on the board:

What brand and blend of ground coffee would you recommend to give to coffee lovers?

I figured there has to be some preferred stuff compared to others? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Mo Squared
12-16-2006, 04:23 PM
If you are looking for great coffee, generally it is the more expensive blends that are good. I would suggest heading over to any Good Earth (they're coffee is very high quality, is organic and free trade) and try their three differnt roasts. They have a light, medium and dark roast that all are good blends and depending on the individuals taste, you can choose between the three. The prices there are very reasonable (cheaper than startbucks in fact) and they are a Calgary based company too. I love their coffee and I am a avid coffee/espresso drinker.

PS. If the person you are looking for a coffee bean for someone with a espresso maker, Good Earth has great espresso beans too

ronaldo
12-16-2006, 06:44 PM
^^ they also have a special christmas blend for the holidays;)

googlie_golfer
12-16-2006, 06:46 PM
I agree with Mo squared - Good Earth is pretty good - and local too. If you decide to go there treat yourself to a white chocolate/wildberry scone while you are shopping.
:)

Another local vendor is Planet Roasters (http://www.planetroasters.com/welcome.html) on 4th Street SW. I've always had terrific service from them.

If you want to stay more mainstream, I don't know any coffee lovers who wouldn't appreciate a tin of Illy coffee if it showed up. You can get it at most Italian groceries - Lina's on Centre Street NW (21st Ave) carries it. They also sell other brands - Mauro Caffe Concerto is the brand I buy (strong - full bodied whole bean espresso)

Nice gift - hmmm maybe time for a coffee!
:D

msommers
12-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Mo Squared
If you are looking for great coffee, generally it is the more expensive blends that are good. I would suggest heading over to any Good Earth (they're coffee is very high quality, is organic and free trade) and try their three differnt roasts. They have a light, medium and dark roast that all are good blends and depending on the individuals taste, you can choose between the three. The prices there are very reasonable (cheaper than startbucks in fact) and they are a Calgary based company too. I love their coffee and I am a avid coffee/espresso drinker.

PS. If the person you are looking for a coffee bean for someone with a espresso maker, Good Earth has great espresso beans too

+1 as well for Good Earth. Starbucks is overpriced and honestly I think their coffee tastes like ass.

Kritafo
12-17-2006, 12:59 PM
agree, I think Starbucks coffee is the worst. I could barely get it down the first time I had one. People have no taste, they only seem to know that everyone is saying it's good.

I love Good Earth coffee, OH and the new one at Childrens hospital is open. Love their espresso beans. Lina's market has good ground espresso as well, buy that with a Pizelle press, your good to go!

Isaiah
02-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Illy is in my opinion the best prepackaged coffee you can get in Canada. Pretty pricey at ~$20/250 g tin but worth it to the last drop.

I don't think there are many retailers in Calgary but I get mine at Mercato on 4th St SW.

EDIT: Available in fine grind for espresso, regular grind for perculators, and whole bean for self-grinding if anyone cares.

jdm_jspec
02-16-2007, 01:29 AM
Starbucks is overrated, just their big name, and casue so many celeb's drink it....promote it....so it must be good if rich people and celeb's drink it....NOT

+1 for good earth, best coffee around at a good price

i always have it when im shopping downtown. or just going by.:drool:

Gondi Stylez
02-16-2007, 02:07 AM
+50 for good earth! :love:

JRSC00LUDE
02-16-2007, 08:58 AM
I can't remember the name of the shop at the moment but there's a little coffee shop in Kensington right around the corner of 10th St and 2nd Ave....right where all those benches to sit on are and a little thai or lao restaurant, pizza place etc. etc.

In any case, a lot of odd cats hang out there but they make a good cup and sell some real good beans.

Edit - Not Calgary related but next time your in Vancouver if you like coffee, Caffe Artigiano is a must. Hell, it's almost an excuse just to go to Vancouver for a weekend it's so good!

me&you
02-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Kicking Horse - Jack Ass, Three Sisters and 454

kaput
02-16-2007, 01:56 PM

TimG
02-16-2007, 03:53 PM
+1 for Kicking Horse

Three Sisters and Grizzly Claw :thumbup:

TurboMedic
02-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Cafe Beano on 9th and 17th SW has a good espresso blend....Mix it with some sweetened condensed milk for a hot Vietnamese! My fav by far....

Otherwise goof coffee is hard to get locally. I find good earth to be too bitter and harshly roasted. I like Starbucks French roast and the Sumatra.

If shopping out of country, Douwe Egberts is good stuff (can get it in the states), and some stuff I've brought back from Cuba and the Dominican Republic have been good....

ronaldo
02-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic

Otherwise goof coffee is hard to get locally. I find good earth to be too bitter and harshly roasted. I like Starbucks French roast and the Sumatra.

you really find good earth coffee harshly roasted? i find starbucks coffee to have a burnt taste to it. alot of the customers at my store feel the same way too.....thats why we call it "char"bucks:rofl:

TurboMedic
02-16-2007, 07:11 PM
funny how its an individual taste thing eh?

Strider
02-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I can't remember the name of the shop at the moment but there's a little coffee shop in Kensington right around the corner of 10th St and 2nd Ave....right where all those benches to sit on are and a little thai or lao restaurant, pizza place etc. etc.

In any case, a lot of odd cats hang out there but they make a good cup and sell some real good beans.

Edit - Not Calgary related but next time your in Vancouver if you like coffee, Caffe Artigiano is a must. Hell, it's almost an excuse just to go to Vancouver for a weekend it's so good!

The Roasterie...

I like getting my beans there as they roast daily. If you buy from a chain like starbucks, second cup, you never know how old they are.

I've heard that Big Mountain roasts the best coffee in town, but afaik they only wholesale to businesses... Bumpys and cafe koi downtown use their beans.

5hift
02-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Do most you coffee drinkers use coffee makers, or just the instant cofee mixes?

I'm a pretty big coffee drinker, but I havent gotten a coffee maker and am wondering if its worth it. Right now I just do the microwave + instant mix.

Ven
02-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
Do most you coffee drinkers use coffee makers, or just the instant cofee mixes?

I'm a pretty big coffee drinker, but I havent gotten a coffee maker and am wondering if its worth it. Right now I just do the microwave + instant mix.

Self grind and French press.

TimG
02-20-2007, 08:42 AM

that's not coffee. that's just coloured water.

D. Dub
02-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Fresh ground beans FTW!!

Excess cargo has a couple of models of refurbished Cuisinart grinders cheap!

5hift
02-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Ven

Self grind and French press.

What is french press?

Originally posted by TimG

that's not coffee. that's just coloured water.

Haha yeah I hear that from all my friends when they see how I make coffee. I just dont know much about coffee makers and what to look for and what I dont need. Any suggestions?

JRSC00LUDE
02-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Haha yeah I hear that from all my friends when they see how I make coffee. I just dont know much about coffee makers and what to look for and what I dont need. Any suggestions?

Lets face it, if that's how you currently make coffee and you like it enough to drink it then you could likely buy the cheapest p.o.s. coffee maker in the universe and still make better tasting coffee. :D