PDA

View Full Version : insurance company: Need help.

Stratus_Power
05-13-2003, 08:23 PM
ok have a little problem here

We currently have 2 cars under my moms name While me and my sis are registered as occasional driver. ( my dad is still working in HK)

Today we got a letter from our insurance company ( state farm) saying that because of my sister's numerous accident, they will no longer insure our family unless my sister move out of the house. then they also referr use to this other .. i don tknow if its a company or watever, they will insure us but for $8100/year ( which is more than double if not triple of what we are paying rite now) and im pretty sure we wont go this route.

are there any company that'll insure us? or anything we can do? any advice would be appreicated. Thanx

88CRX
05-13-2003, 08:25 PM
try premium.... their pretty cheap.

and tell your sister to take the bus

hjr
05-13-2003, 08:27 PM
well your sis if fucked, but that doesnt mean you and you mom have to be. Tell the insurance company she left and stick with them. Your not going to get a good price anywhere i think because of your sisters record. But hell there are consequences for actions. too many accidents means you cant drive anymore.

IMO- Drop the sis and stick with the company

max_boost
05-13-2003, 08:29 PM
Ouch!

Well your sister must be crashing all over the place!

She needs to change her address and remove herself from the insurance. She doesn't need to physically move out, just on paper she doesn't live there. Should you choose to continue to stay with Statefarm, you are no longer occasional driver. 2 cars, 2 drivers, full time. Simple as that!

Stratus_Power
05-13-2003, 08:31 PM
yeh she got into alot of accident. im actually quite surprise they didnt kick her off earlier.. ( I mean literately every exterior part of her car had been hit at least once.. )

now can we somehow change her address..

max_boost
05-13-2003, 08:37 PM
Oh yah, if you tell Statefarm your sister is gone......but because she still lives in the house and may operate the vehicle, she better not be involved in a motor accident or else the insurance may revoke the coverage! You are basically lying!! Some companies will still cover if it is a minor accident but you can bet, an investigation will be launched should it be more serious!

Ok, so with all that in mind, your insurance is specifically targeting your sister, so they may bring up a clause barring coverage in the event of a accident.

max_boost
05-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power

now can we somehow change her address.. :rofl: It isn't magic, just go down to the Registry and change it on the driver's license!! Any address is fine!!!

Stratus_Power
05-13-2003, 08:40 PM
ok im just making some random idea here without any real background information to back it up..
would it be possible if:

my sis doesnt drive for the next 2 year ( State farm said until 2005)
she doesnt move out
we dont insure through State farm
we go to an insurnace broker looking for insurance purely for me and my mom only.

would this route work? as in cheaper than 8100

Weapon_R
05-13-2003, 08:43 PM
You can just change her address to a relative's address, and then you are finished. Just be sure that she never touches the car. If she gets into an accident, the insurance company WILL sue you guys for the damages.

They aren't stupid. They made my dad sign a legal document stating that he is responsible for any damages I cause while operating his (or my mom's) vehicle for up to $150,000. They WILL make you sign that too in regards to your sister.

max_boost
05-13-2003, 08:45 PM
ok im just making some random idea here without any real background information to back it up..
would it be possible if:

my sis doesnt drive for the next 2 year ( State farm said until 2005)
she doesnt move out
we dont insure through State farm
we go to an insurnace broker looking for insurance purely for me and my mom only.

would this route work? as in cheaper than 8100

No that would not work..... she is now a high risk driver.....she still lives in the house.....she still has her driver's license.....insurance companies aren't dumb.....you know what would work? If she cancels her license!!!! Yes you can do that!!! weird eh? or if she changes her address

Stratus_Power
05-13-2003, 08:46 PM
ok.. so once i change her addy on her licsense..and she doesnt drive for 2 years.. would our rate go up at all?

max_boost
05-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Talk to your agent

hjr
05-13-2003, 08:52 PM
you could maybe even have them go down. infact, 1 less driver, and both of you low risk drivers, then your insurance should go down indeed.

hjr
05-13-2003, 08:52 PM
ya, call the agent, but dont tell him every part of you plan :wink wink:

Stratus_Power
05-13-2003, 08:54 PM
hehe thanx guys, i'll tell my sis that.

but hey .. so once my sis is off.. I HAVE to be the primary driver for the other car??

max_boost
05-13-2003, 09:04 PM
hehe thanx guys, i'll tell my sis that.

but hey .. so once my sis is off.. I HAVE to be the primary driver for the other car?? Unless you and your mom decide to insure 1 car only!!!!:rofl:

Look at it this way, your sister did you a favor, you have a car to yourself 100% of the time!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap:

What a great week, you and lammer both get a car!!!!:rofl:

Stratus_Power
05-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Thanx for tthe advice all!!

good thinking MAx!! gotta celebrate! party at your house wanna come?

Stratus_Power
05-14-2003, 12:58 AM
ok got a little more question here.. im sorry
i talked to my sister.. she wants to.. actualy she said she needs to have a car, since she lives ~ 40 mins from U of C and she works in the lab everyday almost til 2am ( Comp sci ). she will defintly need a car. none of her friend can drive her since no one live as far as us and it just cnat happen everyday..

so my question is..let say my sis change her addy and out of our insurance w/ state farm.. will she be able to get insurnace through another company? ( cuz right now since both car is under my moms, state farm is raising my mom's van's insurnace from 800 to 4000.. so is it possible that my sis go to another company.. pay the high premium like 4-5k.. While my mom just pay 800 for the statefarm)

Weapon_R
05-14-2003, 01:47 AM
Yes that's also possible, but again, when you lie to the insurance company, they may find out. And if they find out, you are screwed. I don't see any justification for lying to an insurance company to save a few thousand now, when it may cost you a lot more in the future since you have already said she's a bad driver.

max_boost
05-14-2003, 04:55 AM
Of course she can go with another company....just make sure she drives that specific vehicle only and don't touch your mom's car....or she can, but if something happens, just say she went home to borrow the car, now this may or may not work.....could be a lot of explaining to do

but depending on the number of accidents she has had and tickets she is going to be paying high premiums where ever she goes.....might just be better off staying with statefarm

Stratus_Power
05-14-2003, 08:38 AM
ok that make sense too.. im wondering.. if my sis stay w/ us . we pay the 8k... and when time comes for me to get my car... which she being insured with us effect my insurance too?

rage2
05-14-2003, 09:38 AM
A few things...

If she needs to drive, and she gets into a lot of accidents, don't use the "she's out of the house so don't have to buy under her name" scam, because it's so obvious at this point that's what's going to happen, and any accidents she gets into in the future will not be paid out.

If she's going on her own policy, you can sign a waiver that ensures she NEVER EVER drives any of the cars insured under state farm. That way, she doesn't have to change her address and be under a separate policy. If her "new address" has other drivers there, her crappy record can affect their insurance policy as well if they get into an accident, even though she's physically not there.

If your dad is still in HK, you should still have him be a primary driver on a vehicle, with you as occasional. This will be much cheaper than you and your mom as primaries (assuming you're young).

If you're not getting another car for your sis, you'll be down to 1 car, so you and your mom can be insured under just 1 car cheaply.

soloracer
05-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Personally I think it's about time people are charged for their insurance according to their record. Nothing was more frustrating to me as a young lad than seeing that my new firebird was going to cost me $2200 to insure and that my sister could insure it for $1100 based upon gender alone. I believe we should all start at the same level regardless of gender or age and then earn the insurance rate we get. If you screw up too many times you pay, end of story.

If you need your car for work and are having accidents then you should consider getting more training and pay more attention to your driving. The last thing I want is for my insurance rates to go up because someone's sister is a bad driver. If she's that bad then maybe she shouldn't be on the road.

P.S. I'm assuming that the accidents were her fault. If it's not your fault (ie: someone else hits you, breaks in and steals stuff, etc.) then you shouldn't be punished.

Just my $0.02

MerfBall
05-14-2003, 03:01 PM
At the very least go do some shopping and see what other companies would charge.

Make sure she doesn't cancel her license as someone suggested, coz that won't help her in the long run when she goes under her own insurance since most companies will ask for number of years as a licensed driver to determine the rate.

In terms of her "needing" a car because she is in the CPSC labs late at night, I would question too. So long as you have a computer at home she can do all her work from home. If she's in CPSC all of her work can be done from home using SSH (which CPSC supplies for free) for any unix work. Of course there are the projects where she may need Websphere, Access, or VB... But usually the CPSC dept. supplies a student copy with a license only good for that semester.

I would tell her to get used to taking the bus until her driving record improves (usually 6 years from date of accident for the accident to be removed off her insurance record)

B17a
05-14-2003, 03:18 PM
I think your sis is SOL, she has tons of accidents and that's the price she'll be paying regardless of her having to drive because of school or work. IMO its not worth the hassle and cost to lie to the insurance companies, they are most unforgiving when things are good let alone when you screw them.

Stratus_Power
05-14-2003, 06:11 PM
yeh my sis is by no mean a good driver, although some of the accident wasnt her fault.. . acutally only 2 were her fault ... kinda.. one with her making a left turn at a light when some old lady paniced and stepped on the gas instead of the brake coming the other way.. the other was her getting hit by some 17yr kid driving his dad's civic and hit her front in a Mall parking lot.. somehow thats her fault too...
then couple more accidnets like some guy in a truck hit her from the back and bought it to court.. and .. etc.. :(
tough luck i guess

but anyway thanx For all the advice.... this is what i concluded from all the reply... let me if i misunderstood anything:

1) No not cancel license
2) No not change addy to try to cheat the system
3) she deserves it
4) Remove her from occasional driver from all the cars
5) Get my sis her own policy as primary driver for her car ( with state farm?? i thought i read some post before saying that you cant have 2 diff auto insurance company for 1 family under the same addy..?? rumor?)
6) She sign a waiver not to drive ANYTHING else beside her own car.
7) I can no longer drive my sis' car
8) I will still be able to drive as occasional driver on my mom's van. If there is going to be another car, it can be under my dad's name.
9) if my sis her own policy ( at watever cost.. 5k? 6k?). my mom's van will go back to her normal rate.

or

10) shop around.. maybe someone will insure us for cheaper than 8.1k

jdmakkord
05-14-2003, 06:20 PM
You can have as many insurance companys as you want. For the longest time, I went through a different company than my folks.