PDA

View Full Version : Deer whistles....hitting live animals...

RWD
12-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Just had a close call with a group of deer coming back from Fernie, BC and I was going about 125 km/h, swerved around two of them and i could see the deers inches away from both sides of my car.

Anyone else had any close calls or actually hit any live animals?

So do deer whistles work or not?

Slashin_
12-17-2006, 11:29 PM
just a comment....if u see that in anyway that when u swerve the deer and hit another car..your insurance goes up...
but if u hit the deer or knick it insurance covers it all....

i hit a duck on 84th :thumbsup:
u feel so bad after....even left a dent on my bumper :(

Vietsta
12-17-2006, 11:32 PM
my dad said these deer whistle things work but i don't if it has been proofen yet

ercchry
12-17-2006, 11:35 PM
my uncle kept hitting them on his way to panorama in his benzo so he just bought a big ass f250 so they wont do as much damage :nut:

Sp33d_1
12-18-2006, 02:42 AM
my buddy and i ran over a cat crossing the highway on our way to kamloops. we heard and felt it hit the underside of his car...it was quite disturbing.

We were going to stop to make sure it was dead but a semi was driving behind us and we saw the semi driver swerve over it to finish it off. It almost seemed as though he had done it before...creepy.

SilverBoost
12-18-2006, 08:53 AM
I have an elephant whistle..... haven't hit one yet.

Don't put any faith in something that will allow you to let your guard down. A straight through exhaust works better though. :D

HRD2PLZ
12-18-2006, 09:12 AM
I've hit a deer before driving to Panorama BC before, and on the same trip had a close call with a moose. Not fun... :nut:

pepschnops
12-18-2006, 09:26 AM
I have heard deer whistles work. Why not give them a go. Beside if you hit a deer cruising at that speed the accident could be fatal for and the deer.

On another note, how was the snow in fernie?

RWD
12-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Snow was excellent just wish there was more untracked powder. Missed a huge dump of snow by a day.

Supa Dexta
12-18-2006, 06:53 PM
write in and ask myth busters to test them.. ha

marko polo
12-18-2006, 07:00 PM
i hit a buck (male deer) about a month ago and totalled my GTI. I am definatley gonna look into those whistles cause drving on dark stretches of road is so nerve racking now that i try to avoid driving on roads that arent lit up.

Whitetiger
12-18-2006, 07:26 PM
+1 for deer whistles

EK 2.0
12-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
A straight through exhaust works better though. :D

I actually have to agree with that...Animals hate VTEC thru an open header haha...And D'z Nutz can vouch haha

benyl
12-18-2006, 08:06 PM
The whistling of a big turbo scares them off more than VTECH in an NA car... pffft.

D. Dub
12-18-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure that they work---never seen any proof.

In fact I've heard that they may cause the deer to freeze and stare trying to figure out what the sound is.

SilverBoost
12-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
I'm not sure that they work---never seen any proof.

In fact I've heard that they may cause the deer to freeze and stare trying to figure out what the sound is.

Actually if that was gauranteed to happen then it'd be a good thing..... it's not that you can't see them on the highway, its when they either run out unexpected or switch directions at the last minute that usually gets ya. If they stayed still they'd be easy to avoid.

BoS_DC2
12-19-2006, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Slashin_
just a comment....if u see that in anyway that when u swerve the deer and hit another car..your insurance goes up...
but if u hit the deer or knick it insurance covers it all....

i hit a duck on 84th :thumbsup:
u feel so bad after....even left a dent on my bumper :(

Wouldn't you run it over instead of it hitting your bumper?

SilverBoost
12-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by BoS_DC2

Wouldn't you run it over instead of it hitting your bumper?

Ducks tend to fly. Especially when about to be hit by a car.

In a related story though, I was on a road trip last year to Ontario and had to stop twice for duck trains crossing the road. Luckily it wasn't busy, and they all made it across both times it happened. One of them had about 8 ducklings..... I was so worried that a car would come by in the 2nd lane and smoosh them as they went by. I hate seeing animals get hurt.

Euro_Trash
12-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

Ducks tend to fly. Especially when about to be hit by a car.

I find the same thing for prarie chickens... usually wreck a grill or bumper, or if you are going fast enough they jump when they are under the car

SilverBoost
12-19-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

I find the same thing for prarie chickens... usually wreck a grill or bumper, or if you are going fast enough they jump when they are under the car

Yeah, I had two friends who hit rabbits. One guy in a truck: he had to replace his whol grille and a headlight, and the other in a Mazda MX3 and he had to replace his whole front bumper.

canadiandaytona
12-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Deer whistles do not work...At best the may help the guy behind you, and I highly dought they even do that

eb0i
12-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by canadiandaytona
Deer whistles do not work...At best the may help the guy behind you, and I highly dought they even do that

Is this from experience?

D'z Nutz
12-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I actually have to agree with that...Animals hate VTEC thru an open header haha...And D'z Nutz can vouch haha

Haha, it's cause those deer can't step up to the challange! :burnout:

403Gemini
12-19-2006, 12:43 PM
once i get my intake my supercharger should be loud enough :D

Lexxan
12-19-2006, 12:54 PM
I hear the whistles work good until summer hits and they jam up with bugs.

Tik-Tok
12-19-2006, 03:17 PM
I'd say it depends on the deer. If it's used to hanging out around the highway and hearing those things all day long, it's not going to phase it, but if it's not used to hearing them, it'll spook them away.

Oh, and fyi... they don't work on beavers... don't ask.

thedave
12-19-2006, 03:43 PM
anyone know where to get em?

Tik-Tok
12-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by thedave
anyone know where to get em?

Canadian tire (of course), or pretty much any store that has vehicle related items.

avow
12-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Oh, and fyi... they don't work on beavers... don't ask.
are you kidding me:nut:

DoubleLP
12-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I got pulled over years ago by a RCMP officer just outside Innisfail on QEII for illegal tint on my car at the time.

I noticed that he had the whistles on his car so I asked him about it. He said that they had over 10 hits the year before with deer. They put the whistles on all the units and there were none since they did that.

Still got the ticket though. :banghead:

Whitetiger
12-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Ouch

SilverBoost
12-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by DoubleLP
I got pulled over years ago by a RCMP officer just outside Innisfail on QEII for illegal tint on my car at the time.

I noticed that he had the whistles on his car so I asked him about it. He said that they had over 10 hits the year before with deer. They put the whistles on all the units and there were none since they did that.

Still got the ticket though. :banghead:

They just got them all the year before.

Of course, those same drivers might just be more careful in looking for deer since they all hit one the year before. :D

94SSEi
12-19-2006, 05:15 PM
I think the Doppler effect would greatly reduce the effectiveness of those whistles at highway speed.

PremiumRSX
12-20-2006, 12:00 PM
If the deers can hear the deer whistles then it probably works.
I heard that the reason that deers jump up onto the road is because they don't notice the car comming until last minute so they get scared and do stupid things.
I don't have a deer whistle but I have an open header.. closest I've been to hitting a deer is having them look up at me with their glowing eyes from my headlights at night.

A790
12-20-2006, 01:19 PM
I hit a deer 15 minutes east of Thunder bay while driving from Calgary to Toronto. Fucked the Probe right up... new hood, fender, headlight, front bumper, alignment...

Now I'm all for open season.

schurchill39
12-20-2006, 02:31 PM
We put them on our service truck at work after it hit a deer on the way backfrom camrose, havent hit anything since. Dont know if thats just coincidence or wat

Originally posted by pepschnops
On another note, how was the snow in fernie?

Originally posted by RWD
Snow was excellent just wish there was more untracked powder. Missed a huge dump of snow by a day.

Did you go on the 17 (sunday)? We were going to go on saturday until we found out it was that resident appreciation day so it would be super busy. Kind of pissed me off to because they got a shit load of snow for saturday then when we went up sunday you had to really look for nice powder (most of it was crusty) and the untracked powder was hard to come by. It got a little to windy for my liking at the end of the day too.

GTS Jeff
12-23-2006, 05:03 AM
LOL deer whistles are a scam for city slickers. You won't see any rural folk using that garbage.

sdime
12-23-2006, 05:23 AM
i was driving in alaska and out of no where a polar bear jumped in front of me i slamed my breaks on.. "inches from hitting it"
i get out of my car and ask the big scary poloar bear...
"hey man are you trying to get yourself killed"
he replys with a growl.
so i just got back into my car and just drove around him

sdime
12-23-2006, 05:24 AM
bump

milesmcewing
12-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Greyhound put them on all their buses about ten years ago,

Apparently works great, there was a statistic posted, put I can't find it.

They probably drive more miles on deer-infested roads than anybody.

Interesting comment though, some of the drivers complained about headaches once they were installed.

SilverBoost
12-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by A790
I hit a deer 15 minutes east of Thunder bay while driving from Calgary to Toronto. Fucked the Probe right up... new hood, fender, headlight, front bumper, alignment...

Now I'm all for open season.

Man, I've driven lots at night in the thunder bay area..... if you hit a deer up there consider yourself lucky that you only managed to hit the smallest of the animals up there.... man the moose and bears are on steroids up that way. :D

88CRX
12-23-2006, 12:06 PM
http://www.virgeweb.com/Ben/psylence/August05Cruise/jaymez.jpg

:thumbsup:

2shy4u
12-23-2006, 12:22 PM
My buddy hit a moose.. with his s10.. lucky he was going fast enough... the moose went up and over his cab and landed in the pickup box... yeah it was strange... he broke the legs of the moose so he had to call fish and wildlife to come take it away... I hit a rabbit with my car... never damaged anything.. got real lucky... dont think the rabbit saw me coming... and as for the deer whistles.. haha... i drive on a highway with no lights every morning and every night in the dark... and i see deer all the time... and when they get spooked.. they run all over the place.. so no whistles arent a good thing.

CelicaST-162
12-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Hmm, how would this truck do against a large animal?

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cruiserconnection_1925_463224

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-23-2006, 12:57 PM
I think the front mount bar would probably get dinged pretty badly, depending on how fast you go.

Cowtown_Raider
12-23-2006, 01:06 PM
I grabbed a pack of two deer whistles at Walmart...worth trying for a few bucks (no pun intended). Put them on the front of my bike just in case they might work. No way to actually tell!

GT-R rated
12-23-2006, 01:26 PM
i put a set on my tercel a few years ago, for the longest time i couldn't figure out why i had deer chasing me down the highways all the time. a couple of months ago i discovered i installed them backwards. word to the wise, don't do that!

sneek
12-23-2006, 06:18 PM
I think they are worth it. IIRC they are $8 for 2 of them and like 15 for the electronic ones.