PDA

View Full Version : Accounting Entry Level Jobs

xtrader101
12-18-2006, 10:16 PM
I just finished my accounting certificate in SAIT.

Any tips where to get entry level accounting jobs during days because I am taking three subjects during nights for my diploma. Any temp agencies you can suggest?

Thanks a lot.

Whitetiger
12-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Just look in the Calgary Sun

PeterGTiR
12-19-2006, 12:32 AM
http://www.bowenworks.ca/

They're good if you have minimal experience. I wouldn't expect anything other than data entry with a certificate, but with the shortage of good qualified workers, who knows?

jay42w8
12-19-2006, 12:52 AM
ACCOUNTEMPS

I got my start with them here in Calgary...lots of work...A/P, A/R, Accounting Clerk...

xtrader101
01-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips.

Found a fulltime job doing some accounting work. Good thing is it starts at 7:30 and ends at 4:00 so I can still go to school during nights and the best thing is they gave me $15/hr.

Good luck to everyone looking for a job.

WWJAI
01-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Congratulations. Mind telling us your tips on how you went about lookin for a job.

I'm gonna be looking for an entry level accounting job within a couple months so just want a few pointers and help as well. Thanks.

PeterGTiR
01-07-2007, 11:40 PM
What type of accounting job did you get? Like AP, AR?

I'm not looking for a job, but I'm always interested in what people are doing with their education.

xtrader101
01-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI
Congratulations. Mind telling us your tips on how you went about lookin for a job.

I'm gonna be looking for an entry level accounting job within a couple months so just want a few pointers and help as well. Thanks.

I found this job in Monster.ca. The instrution is to send resume thru e-mail but there is no name whom to send it to. I looked it up in their website and e-mailed my resume together with a cover letter to the human resources manager directly that I found in their website. Two days later I was called for an interview then after two days I got an offer.

If possible send it to the hiring supervisor or manager. If you see an AD and it provides with an e-mail like [email protected], go to their website which should be www.findjobs.ca and look for any hints where to send your resume. Call the company and ask what section or department is hiring. If the company is small to medium size, most likely the receptionist knows who's hiring.

It is best to have a contact person so you can personalize your cover letter, not just Dear So and So.

I am doing accounts payable.

Goodluck in your job hunting.

slick2404
08-23-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm going to bump an old thread with hopes of finding a somewhat related answer.

I posted my resume on monster, got a bunch of useless emails from some pyramid schemes, but I did get a call from a company here in downtown Calgary.

The interview was for Accounts Payable, Entry Level...but after the first interview, the controller suggested that my personality be better fit in Operations Accounting as a Junior Accountant.

So all is well there, as I only have my SAIT diploma and working on my degree through Uleth, but when it came down to them making the offer sheet it wasn’t quite what I expected.

Anyone know the 'range' for a Jr Accountant, for someone like me who has no related experience (a year in a bank), and still have a year to go on completing my degree?

I know I'm in not much of a position to negotiate, but has anyone ever tried for an entry level job? I know I should be thankful for even getting my foot in the door, but I want to make sure I'm being compensated a fair amount.

jay42w8
08-23-2008, 11:04 AM
^ the job descriptions and salaries for Junior Accountant are sooooo broad....it literally can range from minimum wage to something around 50K a year depending on how the employer defines the position, lol...did they tell you what you will be doing exactly? Entry level in Calgary should start around 15 bucks an hour at the minimum though,in a city like Vancouver, you're looking at around 10 bucks an hour WITH 2 years experience, it's brutal, lol....be lucky you're in Calgary!

KappaSigma
08-23-2008, 11:40 AM
FOr basic accounting work and top pay go JV accountnat at big oil and gas companies. THe work is very basic. All you need to know is concept of debits and credits.

The_1
08-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Its hard to get into a jv position if you don't have experience or a hookup.
Try getting into a entry level ap/ar in o&g. Its easy to move up after that

jay42w8
08-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by KappaSigma
FOr basic accounting work and top pay go JV accountnat at big oil and gas companies. THe work is very basic. All you need to know is concept of debits and credits.

Depends what if he's thinking long term though, he won't learn shit there. And if the economy takes a downturn guess who's the first to go...then he'll be back on the street with nothing but the "concept of debits and credits" lol....I say you have to look for a role where you'll gain more knowledge and skills....I'd reccomend CRA but due to the government's preparation for tough times ahead, they are no longer hiring Auditors in Calgary at the moment (still hiring in Red Deer and Edmonton I believe though and of course, Sasktoon and Regina)...keep your eyes open on their website though, all you need is your diploma and Intermediate Accounting to get hired...

SteveMo600
08-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
I'm going to bump an old thread with hopes of finding a somewhat related answer.

I posted my resume on monster, got a bunch of useless emails from some pyramid schemes, but I did get a call from a company here in downtown Calgary.

The interview was for Accounts Payable, Entry Level...but after the first interview, the controller suggested that my personality be better fit in Operations Accounting as a Junior Accountant.

So all is well there, as I only have my SAIT diploma and working on my degree through Uleth, but when it came down to them making the offer sheet it wasn’t quite what I expected.

Anyone know the 'range' for a Jr Accountant, for someone like me who has no related experience (a year in a bank), and still have a year to go on completing my degree?

I know I'm in not much of a position to negotiate, but has anyone ever tried for an entry level job? I know I should be thankful for even getting my foot in the door, but I want to make sure I'm being compensated a fair amount.

Although I'm a finance guy, the job opportunities are very similar. I worked a summer job 2 years ago, for absolute peanuts, but am so thankful I did. In regards to current compensation, you really have to think long term. Employers know that you're looking for experience and considering you're a graduate, you're a much riskier hire than somebody with experience.

In summary, don't be so worried about compensation when you've just graduated. The most important thing is experience. Show them you're solid and you'll likely reap the monetary benefits when it's review time.

slick2404
08-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by SteveMo600

In summary, don't be so worried about compensation when you've just graduated. The most important thing is experience. Show them you're solid and you'll likely reap the monetary benefits when it's review time.

Thanks for the great advice guys!

slick2404
08-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by jay42w8
^...did they tell you what you will be doing exactly? Entry level in Calgary should start around 15 bucks an hour at the minimum though,in a city like Vancouver, you're looking at around 10 bucks an hour WITH 2 years experience, it's brutal, lol....be lucky you're in Calgary!

haha yeah I heard that too, might as well take advantage of the market here in Calgary.

this is the job description they email me:

Title: Junior Accountant
Location & Travel: The position is based in Calgary

Responsibilities:
-Assist in the review of the time reporting completed by consultants perform corrections and follow
required.
-Monthly billing of misc. expenses to clients.
-Completion of billings to clients.
-Assist in the set up of project codes required for job costing.
-Continually enhance your understanding of the organizaton, and its business

blownz
08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Robert Half 2008 Salary Guide has a range for entry level bookkeeper/general accountant is 30-37.5k

x 106.8 for Calgary area

What I typically see (in Edmonton) is around 35k starting at most places. City of Edmonton actually starts accounting assistants at 38k.

With about 2 years of experience though 50k should be easy to get. And if you get a designation you will be looking at 70-80k easy. 100k plus with 5 years post designation is realatively easy too.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

WWJAI
11-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread..

Been applying for entry level accounting positions at O&G companies. Many of them don't even have any accounting postings on their websites so I am reluctant to even apply.
Any one have any leads of tips on any O&G companies hiring entry level accounting positions at the moment? I do realize that right now with the scale back of many projects, this may not be the best time.