PDA

View Full Version : Alarm system

Barlow
05-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Thinking bout predator alarm system for my 2k civic, just wondering if neone has had experience with this system, and or nebody know bout this system any advice comments would be good. thanx

James
05-14-2003, 04:29 PM
The 2-way pager one?

Barlow
05-17-2003, 10:34 PM
yeah...

Rsxstacy
05-19-2003, 05:26 PM
A couple of my friends have it. They say its alright but the guys who installed it set both of their cars to sensitive so they get lots of false alarms (planes flying over head). The only complaint one of my friends had was that in the cold he got no range at all and his remote screen exploded while he was driving when it was -30?ish. The ink blead through the whole screen but it was exchanged under warranty.

Weapon_R
05-19-2003, 11:28 PM
I know someone with it, and he HATES it.

Biggest waste of money he ever spent, according to him. I wouldn't risk it. False alarms and weak range are the biggest complaints.

Barlow
05-24-2003, 12:34 AM
alright so whats a good decent alarm that would be good, for a 2K civic??? ne suggestions? if predator ain't the way to go...

Barlow
05-24-2003, 12:36 AM
oh and rsxstacy, isn't your alarm i hear in the middle of the night when we having a storm or is it your brothers or some other neighbor plus was that on your cougar. ;)

JST4SH0
05-24-2003, 05:51 PM
The alpine makes a good alarm if you want strictly a alarm. If your interested in a alarm/starter the Compustar is nice or the Viper unit is ok. The Compustar has by far the best range out of all of them.

tctdmx
05-25-2003, 09:49 AM
ah, if you want a nice alarm system thats accurate and responsive.. go for the firsttech Compustars , however do be cautious, they have a huge mark up, most stores will try to sell it to you for right about $450 and something like 598 starter / alarm installed ( on auto only, no manual transmission )

however you guys should be able to get it for $379 for the unit itself, the nomal cost for that alarm system is $299.98 for most retailers...

speaking of distance and range, compustart doesnt really have a superior range , all it really does is a more responsive brain for the actual alarm system, Predator ( aka Viper ) also makes a kit for 2 way paging system, however they actually come with more handy functions and as well as a full featured 2nd remote for free, this unit is a whole lot cheaper, you can expect to get it for $260 or even a little less, being the cost of $199 at retailers. ...

so my recommendation will be for the compustar for the more dependable accuracy, and the AudioVox CitiTuff more it's more advanced computer system and pagin abilities as well as a whole lot more friendly functions.....

anyways, my 2 cents ^_^ hopefully it helps........

JST4SH0
05-25-2003, 09:53 AM
the compustar does have superior range as it does not comply with fcc regulations where viper/audiovox do. The audiovox is actually made in the same factory viper/clifford are made. As well, the compustar does come with 2 remotes but the second does not page and doesn't perform ALL functions..like you said.

tctdmx
05-25-2003, 10:10 AM
yup , you are totally right on all that, Viper, Clifford, and AudioVox and even Predator ( which is discontinued due to bankrupcy.. i do believe it was almost 2 years ago... ) they are all made by DEI who is always known as Directed .. i believe....but anyways, AudioVox has a superior features as well as accessories that comes with the package, and it's made for a better price, thats why it's on my recommendation list compare to the rest....

the second remote from compustar is a little tiny ittsy bittsy round white remote wit 3 bottoms :P ^_^

but Computstar does has better accuracy and response, that is for sure the number 1 we have in Canada

oh btw, they also make a 2WFMSS in the states, ( be aware, dont pay extra for that module, the range is already provent not to be better than what we have here as the 2WFMAS .. official documents should be available at most dealerships as they were required by Firsttech to have their dealers explain that matter to their customers.... even if you were to install the 2wfmss in canada, it's specs will just be the same as the 2wfmas....

just a heads out to all the peeps looking or shopping for a pagin alarm system.....

szw
05-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Really? So the 1.25 mile isnt better than than the .25 mile one?!

I was about to get the SS installed just because I want better range over all my friends .25 mile range!

If thats the case maybe i'll just by the first gen compustar 2way

tctdmx
05-25-2003, 10:33 AM
yeah Bro, the SS is designed for the states with a different frequency which is only effective in actually certain states on the US, the AS version is meant for the rest of us...

lots of salemens wont be honest with you on that because the price ( cost wise ) of the 2 units are actually similar, however the sales price ... you know, mark ups are everywhere in car audio .... so dont let them trick you and rob you from this.....

In March 03 , FirstTech release the memo for all Canadian retailers, i am sure you can get that same report as well if you will go ask for it .. or even better, go wo compustar's website and email tech support.... they will confirm that for you as well bro...

szw
05-25-2003, 10:51 AM
thanks for the info..

do you know if there is any way to get more range from a compustar by fiddling with stuff?

My friend opened up his remote and started playing with all the potentiometers in there, i think he screwed it up and has worse range though. haha

Barlow
05-25-2003, 11:14 AM
son yeah whats a good alrma to get ???? with pager???

atomic
05-30-2003, 02:13 PM
i tested them all including compustar and found UltraStart the best .. plus they're canadian so support is easy to reach

tctdmx
05-30-2003, 05:23 PM
for the price and the performance i think i'd really recommend the CitiTuff By AudioVox, eventhough it might be from AudioVox, however the quality and the tested features, it does stands out compare to a lot of other modules...

compustar is close to be twice as expensive as the audioVox ... so....

DEI makes a lot of different brands, including Clifford, AutoStart, Commanstart, Viper.. as well as lots others, includes AudioVox, however accessories and funtionalities wise, audiovox is the best in the all of them, so there i'd recommend for audiovox