PDA

View Full Version : Fuel consumption - F-350 Vs. Explorer

billy36
12-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a 1999 F-350 Diesel Larait, I really don't need such a big truck, I will mainly use it for moving next month, the reason I'm thinking of it is that I have a good deal on it, but I'm afraid of the fuel costs that will follow, speially that I will be stuck with it and will be using it as my main car and I will be travelling a lot. The alternative for it will be probably to get myself a medium size SUV something like Explorer or maybe a jeep cherokee, and the reason I'm leaning towards this idea is mainly that I feel that GAS costs with an Explorer or a cherokee could be less than the cost of Diesel with the F-350?????????? am I thinking right or are actually diesel is so economic, that buying the F-350 will be give more fuel economy than an explorer (or a cherokee). I would've bought a sedan or a hatchback even but unfortinately I will be using it in rular areas.

I'm new to the SUV and trucks world, forgive me for the question if it sounded too ignorant.

Thanks all 4 ur input.

Weapon_R
12-20-2006, 12:18 PM
The F-350 will be more expensive (even though its diesel), but they are more desirable and probably easier to unload than an Explorer if you decide that its too expensive to maintain.

Once you get used to that kind of torque, it's hard to go back to anything civilized :)

billy36
12-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Once you get used to that kind of torque, it's hard to go back to anything civilized :)

hahahahaha thanks man for your input, much appreciated.

If anyone can enlighten me on how much more expensive that would be great, so lets say per a hundred KM, how much gas would an explorer consume Vs. how much diesel for an F-350

The other thing since since I'm a nubie to this world, does driving the F-350 require a special license and are insurance costs different for this beast compared to an explorer/cherokee

billy36
12-20-2006, 02:46 PM
helppppppppppppppppppppppppp

opinions plz F-350 drivers!!!!!!

Supa Dexta
12-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Are you set on ford? Lots of horror stories about the new diesels being problem riddled.. I do have some experience driving them.. They are nice and powerful and have a nice comfortable interior.. But I'd do your reasearch before dropping 40k or more on one.. mpg wise, I'd expect 12-15ish at the most.. Hauling anything, expect 8..

94SSEi
12-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Not sure on insurance, but it doesn't require any special licenses to drive.

hjr
12-20-2006, 07:52 PM
despite being diesel, the mileage is not great at all. you can pull nearly anything, but if its just for moving then its kinda overkill (well not kinda). if its that good a deal though the fuel for a month may not be a big deal and perhaps flip it for a bit of extra coin after the move (depending on the deal)

tsi_neal
12-20-2006, 08:16 PM
The powerstroke has gone through ALOT of changes in the last 7 years, the good news is the 99's were a good year.

In my 07 i get better economy than an F150. I figure about 12-15mpg around town 18mpg hwy and 6-12mpg towing (depending on wind resistance and weight) Truth be told the fuel economy is compareable to just about any gas v8 SUV or truck. A 350 is way overkill unless you need it for towing or making up for a horribly small dick... But dude they are nice to drive.

what is your good deal? cuz fords can be had VERY cheap if you know where to look.

85regal
12-20-2006, 08:27 PM
i've owned 2 cherokee's and they are pigs on gas, have owned an older exploder as well and was also a pig on gas, my opinion is the f350 would be comparable if not better on gas.

barbarian
12-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Can't you rent a u-haul for moving?

Supa Dexta
12-24-2006, 03:31 PM
pfff^.. depends on the day, I hear theres a shortage...

I went and bought this to get my christmas tree home this yr.. It'll likely sit there until it's time to take the tree down, then we'll just do a drive by and chuck it off down town...

http://photos.windley.com/albums/christmas_tree/DSC00001.jpg

billy36
12-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by barbarian
Can't you rent a u-haul for moving?

The whole idea was that if there wasn't much of a difference in operating costs (one being diesel and the SUV being Gas), then why not get the extra power, but now I'm convinced that it will cost more in fuel and in other operating costs. So I guess I will eventually go for a medium size SUV.

Thanks guys for ur input, its been a great help really.