PDA

View Full Version : B.C. pressuring TC for 25 year import law

japancar
12-22-2006, 05:57 PM
B.C. tries to put brakes on right-hand-drive cars
Last Updated: Friday, December 22, 2006 | 4:44 PM ET
CBC News

They are in excellent mechanical shape with low mileage, but used right-hand-drive vehicles from Japan are raising safety concerns in British Columbia.

Provincial officials are concerned the vehicles might be dangerous in passing situations and have asked Transport Canada to step in.

Mike Woods, manager for vehicle inspections in the province, said that while there's no evidence of accidents caused by right-hand-drive vehicles, officials need more time to determine their safety record.

"There is some concern, and the Insurance Corp. of B.C. is probably looking at that quite closely, and I'm certain that the Insurance Bureau of Canada is also looking into it," Woods said.

Some officials worry the cars may be dangerous when passing because the driver's range of vision is limited on the outside of the road.

All cars imported from Japan —where motorists drive on the left-hand side of the road — are at least 15 years old because federal laws place restrictions on newer cars.

However, B.C. officials have asked Transport Canada to extend that to 25 years in an attempt to reduce the number of right-hand-drive cars entering the province.

About 175 Japanese right-hand-drive cars are registered in B.C. every month — a number that has grown steadily, provincial officials say.

One of them is owned by Thomas Nottelman, who imported his 16-year-old Toyota Corolla and several other cars from Japan. Because Japan has tough mechanical regulations and regular inspections, he said, its second-hand cars are prized.

Many of them have "never seen an accident, they've never seen dirt, they certainly don't have any rust, and they're exceptionally low mileage," Nottelman said.

"So you can't buy anything comparable here, unless you happen to find a little old lady's car."

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-22-2006, 06:19 PM
I doubt it'll happen, they've been trying to do it for a while... I think BC is just sick of all the imports being dropped off there.

If it does though....

Phuqu
12-22-2006, 06:22 PM
I hope they ban the sun.

My range of vision is blocked every morning when I drive east.

Also fog. I hear the range of vision isn't that good either.

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-22-2006, 06:29 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

What about semi's or van's with no rear window?

Whitetiger
12-22-2006, 06:32 PM
lol, good logic. I've noticed over the years the Canadian government loves to back paddle.

Originally posted by Phuqu
I hope they ban the sun.

My range of vision is blocked every morning when I drive east.

Also fog. I hear the range of vision isn't that good either.

BlueGoblin
12-22-2006, 06:39 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2006/12/22/japanesecars.html

lilmira
12-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by japancar

Mike Woods, manager for vehicle inspections in the province, said that while there's no evidence of accidents caused by right-hand-drive vehicles, officials need more time to determine their safety record.

Someone in the government has too much time with nothing else to do.

japancar
12-22-2006, 06:59 PM
As an JDM exporter, I always worry what TC thinks. But i think you are all correct; it takes time and won't happen any time soon...I hope!:drama:

BigMass
12-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

Someone in the government has too much time with nothing else to do.

you've just described %90 of government

Supa Dexta
12-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

you've just described %90 of government

and that must be when the other 10% are on vacation and their time is filled.. :rofl:

japancar
12-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

and that must be when the other 10% are on vacation and their time is filled.. :rofl:

Well, normally I'd agree, but with our last experience with CRA (Customs and Revenue Agency), I must say they were great. We had been flagged to have a container inspected off-site, and the whole thing was going to cost $1000. So, instead, they just opened the container and did a visual inspection. We had 4 cars in the container and no other items being imported. They didn't charge us, so that was fortunate. Our clients were happy too!

My agent was dealing with a certain customs office in BC, and he said they were great. Answered questions, gave guidence and were understanding in their approach. Overall it was a great experience.