PDA

View Full Version : Those sneaky bastards!

Supa Dexta
12-23-2006, 10:34 AM
ALPR - Automatic License Plate Recon

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1j_On_1zRig

l8braker
12-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Calgary has one of these rolling around and I've seen it twice in the Beltline running plates.

Shoebox//Racer
12-23-2006, 10:41 AM
neat system. but its kinda crappy that it doesnt update on the fly through some kinda satellite internet feed or something. Updated once a day in the mornings before they go out is good, but that means they won't catch any other violators or cars that were stolen the same day after the LPR system was updated.

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-23-2006, 10:51 AM
i have no sound right now... what exactly does it do?

Supa Dexta
12-23-2006, 11:13 AM
ALPR - Automatic License Plate Recon

I think that speaks for itself... It recognises plates, and runs them thru a database to turn up anythng that may be of interest to the popo...

streetarab
12-23-2006, 12:51 PM
sneaky as shit but at the same time really fuckin affective, i like it

Cruz
12-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Big brother strikes again.

adam c
12-23-2006, 01:06 PM
i like how he doesnt wear a seatbelt

tapout
12-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
Calgary has one of these rolling around and I've seen it twice in the Beltline running plates. :werd: The one i saw was a chev astro.

euro_racer
12-23-2006, 02:08 PM
hahah from 1:37 - 1:52....

he lists down all the types of vehicles the system tracks down and it goes as follows....

"that aa, those downloads consist of all of the stolen vehicle lisence plates in BC, all of the vehicle lisence plates associated to un-insured vehicles, umm lisence plates associated to un-lisenced drivers, and lisence plates associated to...ummm...un-insured vehicles "

i just taught it was funny because this guy dosn't appear professional at all...on the other hand, that is some crazy tracking system and i can see it help out alot with tracking stolen cars :thumbsup:

soupey
12-23-2006, 03:13 PM
^haha i noticed that too

its good to an extent, i wouldnt want something like those mounted at intersections and bridges everywhere...it'd b like knowing someone could track your movements based on where ur license plate gets tracked...

Whitetiger
12-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Crazy

im2fst4u
12-27-2006, 11:23 AM
I agree with this system although it is a "big brother" system. I have seen the minivan that CPS uses all over Calgary. We are soon going to find cameras everywhere and they will touch every aspect of our lives. We need to monitor society because the justice system is so lenient. If they were to be stronger on the criminals would we really need to have cameras looking for criminals?
The justice system must take action not "hope" the criminal learns his lesson while under house arrest playing video games all day and surfing the net. Put the guy in jail, let him sit, think and then maybe we will require less cameras and "big brother" scenarios!

Xtrema
12-27-2006, 03:07 PM
If you haven't done anything wrong, why are you worried?

FiveFreshFish
12-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

True. I'm all for a system that helps track down stolen cars.

Chris88CL
12-27-2006, 09:55 PM
The dumbass also calls that white corsica a lumina.

jdm_eg6
12-27-2006, 10:01 PM
umm wasnt that a lumina:dunno:

anyway, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for the system, definatly helps against douchebaggery. they should equip all squad and undercover vechicles with it. :werd:

7thgenvic
12-27-2006, 10:13 PM
i like it

adidas
01-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
Calgary has one of these rolling around and I've seen it twice in the Beltline running plates.

yea i use to see those guys at least once a month when i lived there and some times id see em more often.

carter_prelude
01-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

because its an invasion of privacy? :dunno:

Whitetiger
01-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by carter_prelude

When you drive on city roads (PUBLIC property), you pay the cost of the rules. (i.e. for others to identify who's driving "that vehicle"... and in order to identify that, the government use license plates; numbers and letters to the assigned owners... which is much better than to making window stickers with your full name on the vehicle)

Hence, it's not really an invasion of privacy but just a way of identifying the legitmacy of the user of a motor vehicle on tax payer's roads.

Unless you own your own farm land/road/race track (i.e. Bill Gates)... then you probably don't need any license plates, and keep your vehicles private.

seer_claw
01-04-2007, 12:37 AM

Explain exactly how this is an invasion of privacy? If the government started tracking exactly where we were all the time maybe but looking for stolen or uninsured cars? I really don't think thats an invasion of privacy but then in your opinion photoradar must be an invasion of privacy too? :rolleyes:

h_s
01-04-2007, 12:48 AM
it was a corsica

and more power to them... it is an invasion of privacy... but that of criminals... the way i see it is that itll help find my car faster if it is stolen one day, i keep my shit registered + insured so i dont worry about nothing

ZedMan
01-04-2007, 01:15 AM
How is a license plate # private info? You drive around with it visible to everybody behind you ALL THE TIME :nut: It doesn't do anything an officer couldn't do himself, just faster.

ryder_23
01-04-2007, 03:37 AM

No them spying on you taking a dump is...them looking at your plates on the road isnt, city roads that you are travelling on for that matter...you pay to use them, not to own them

carter_prelude
01-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by seer_claw

Explain exactly how this is an invasion of privacy? If the government started tracking exactly where we were all the time maybe but looking for stolen or uninsured cars? I really don't think thats an invasion of privacy but then in your opinion photoradar must be an invasion of privacy too? :rolleyes:

im not talking about the licnece plate idea...its great. Im talking about the cameras and shit being everywhere in the future. :nut: