12-24-2006, 06:11 PM
any length the smaller the better.

lewdvig
12-24-2006, 08:04 PM
$9.99 on Boxing Day - RCSS

in*10*se
12-25-2006, 01:23 AM
where the hell is RCSS?

futureshop is selling them at like 120 bucks... wtf, how does 10 bucks work?

lewdvig
12-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by in*10*se
where the hell is RCSS?

futureshop is selling them at like 120 bucks... wtf, how does 10 bucks work?

real canadian super store - boxing day flyer

Street_Soldier
12-25-2006, 03:57 AM
Damn I have to work but i ll try and make it in.

Thanks

flipmachine
12-25-2006, 08:35 AM
cargo express 5 foot ones and monster cable for like 9.99

asuth077
12-25-2006, 10:56 AM
I buy cables at monoprice.com

gpomp
12-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by asuth077
:werd: :werd: :werd:

WWJAI
12-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Has anyone ever used this C2 Tech HDMI cables? work decently??

Street_Soldier
12-25-2006, 03:30 PM
I've never used them but alll hdmi cables should work the same. Its all digital afterall. Quality starts becoming an issue when you go long distances.

Khyron
12-25-2006, 05:40 PM
If it's allowed to be called HDMI it has passed far higher standards than you'll ever put it through. Tigerdirect has cheap ones as well in good lengths.

Khyron

rogue
12-27-2006, 12:33 AM
grrrrr fuckin futureshop i hate getting screwed.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

benyl
12-27-2006, 12:53 AM
I bought 4 of those cables from superstore.

I can't believe people pay upto $200 for monster cables. Rip off.

Street_Soldier
12-27-2006, 01:44 AM
I hope there is some left I ll pick one up 2morrow.

in*10*se
12-27-2006, 12:40 PM
i just went to monoprice and read the reviews. just ordered 2

Alterac
12-27-2006, 02:13 PM
ACC Cables - Great for everything:
www.cablesbyacc.com

Street_Soldier
12-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Just took a visit to the Superstore and no HDMI cables

The one in Coventry Hills only had Component and Optical

The one on Country Hills Blvd only had Optical.

Anyone know a place in town with some cheap ones? I dont have time to order it off the net.

benyl
12-27-2006, 02:59 PM
West hills had more than 50 HDMI cables when I was there on Tuesday.

Street_Soldier
12-27-2006, 03:53 PM
That place is like 40 minutes from my house. Also the weather just sucks i m better off just staying in.

benyl
12-27-2006, 03:56 PM
true, but I got 4 HDMI cables for $40.

PS3, BEV, HDDVD and one spare for the next HDMI requirement.

Street_Soldier
12-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Wow i m surprised that you have so many HDMI inputs. Do you know how long the sale is going on for? What are the lengths of the cables?

Spike_16v
12-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
If it's allowed to be called HDMI it has passed far higher standards than you'll ever put it through. Tigerdirect has cheap ones as well in good lengths.

Khyron

1.Any cheap HDMI cable will not have been approved by the HDMI board.
2.The cable life cycle will be shorter then a quality cable.
ie the amount of times you can plug and unplug the cable before it fails
3.After spending all that money on a HiDef display, and sources do you really trust a 10 dollar cable.

If your using it to hook up your $1200.00 Benq to a $99.00 DVD that's being displayed on a $200.00 screen then $10.00 cable maybe fine, but you have anything that is capable of a good picture, then cheap cables have no place in your house.

benyl
12-27-2006, 05:14 PM
ok, I will keep buying $10 cables and use them 10 times and throw them out while you pay $200 for the same cable and use it 100 times.

Somehow, I think I will be ahead in the end.

Monster cables are the $10 cables with the monster logo on it. Probably made in the same factory in China.

heavyD
12-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by benyl
ok, I will keep buying $10 cables and use them 10 times and throw them out while you pay $200 for the same cable and use it 100 times.

Somehow, I think I will be ahead in the end.

Monster cables are the $10 cables with the monster logo on it. Probably made in the same factory in China.

Quiet. We want these guys to waste their money on the Monster cables which leaves more inexpensive ones on the shelves for people like me that would rather pay $10 for a piece of wire with connectors at the ends than $100 for the same thing with a fancy name and package. Expensive cables are the 'cold air intakes' of the music/home theatre industry. Lots more money for the same & sometimes worse performance.

CRXguy
12-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier
Wow i m surprised that you have so many HDMI inputs. Do you know how long the sale is going on for? What are the lengths of the cables?

monoprice sells a switchbox or whatever it's called. the newer tv's have 2 hdmi inputs at the most.

barbarian
12-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Spike_16v

1.Any cheap HDMI cable will not have been approved by the HDMI board.
2.The cable life cycle will be shorter then a quality cable.
ie the amount of times you can plug and unplug the cable before it fails
3.After spending all that money on a HiDef display, and sources do you really trust a 10 dollar cable.

If your using it to hook up your $1200.00 Benq to a $99.00 DVD that's being displayed on a $200.00 screen then $10.00 cable maybe fine, but you have anything that is capable of a good picture, then cheap cables have no place in your house.

Do you work for a place that sells these? Those $200 cables that Future Shop / Best Buy sell cost them $20, and they mark them up heavily. Good for Monster, as they take a $10 profit per cable, and good for Future Shop. The other places are selling $10 cables with little profit.

http://www.hdmi.org/ - If it bears the HDMI logo, it has to be compliant, or they'll get sued into oblivion. Sure, there could be some counterfeit HDMI cables, but if I was a counterfeiter, I'd counterfeit Monster cables and make even more $$$.

You may find it interesting that Monster doesn't even pay the $15000 per year to belong to the HDMI consortium. ( see http://www.hdmi.org/about/adopters_founders.asp ). Now ask yourself, what did you pay $200 for?

This is also a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_cable

Controversy

Monster Cable and similar "boutique" cables are a main source of revenue for retailers of electronics such as DVD players and TVs. While the margins of DVD players and TVs are usually quite low, the high margins of Monster Cables and similar products provide important revenue for these retailers. The heavy marketing and corresponding bundling of Monster Cable and similar products are de-facto procedures for employees at these resellers.

Whether Monster analog cables actually provide better quality sound or video than generic cables is a highly debated topic among the audio and videophile communities. Digital cables will produce the same quality, no matter how cheap the cable, as a digital signal is either totally present or totally lacking.[citation needed] Therefore, using Monster for digital interconnects, such as HDMI, DVI, Toslink (optical) audio, or digital audio, will yield no higher sound or video quality than the cheapest cable available, if the environment is correct to support digital signals, such as using cables with magnetic shielding.[citation needed]

Monster Cable is aggressively protecting its name and trademark by filing numerous lawsuits and trademark infringement claims against dozens of companies for using the word "monster" in names, products or services.[citation needed] Some consider this simply a strong-arm tactic against small and large companies. Monster Cable CEO Noel Lee defended these actions by saying "We have an obligation to protect our trademark; otherwise we'd lose it".[citation needed] Some of the items they are sueing about are: Monster Garage, Monster House, Monster Energy Drink, MonsterHTPC, Snow Monsters (a kid's skiing group), MonsterVintage (small used clothing store), Monsters Inc., Monsters of the Midway (Chicago Bears), Fenway Park's Monster seats, and the Monster.com employment website.

Various reviews have reported that listeners are unable to tell a difference between Monster Cable products and inexpensive gold-plated RCA connectors.[1][2]

dust-off
12-27-2006, 08:28 PM
i bought mine at walmart for about $50.

Tux10
12-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by asuth077

Sweet find, I just ordered 4 myself!

Spike_16v
12-28-2006, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by barbarian

Do you work for a place that sells these? Those $200 cables that Future Shop / Best Buy sell cost them $20, and they mark them up heavily. Good for Monster, as they take a $10 profit per cable, and good for Future Shop. The other places are selling $10 cables with little profit.

http://www.hdmi.org/ - If it bears the HDMI logo, it has to be compliant, or they'll get sued into oblivion. Sure, there could be some counterfeit HDMI cables, but if I was a counterfeiter, I'd counterfeit Monster cables and make even more $$$.

You may find it interesting that Monster doesn't even pay the $15000 per year to belong to the HDMI consortium. ( see http://www.hdmi.org/about/adopters_founders.asp ). Now ask yourself, what did you pay $200 for?

This is also a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_cable

Yes, I do work for a place that sells Monster, Liberty, and Wire World.
Do you think the HDMI has time for the man power to go around a sue the makers of 10 dollar cables. They have bigger things to worry about, like getting the next release to work properly.
NEWS FLASH
HDMI is a shitty format to begin with. The handshaking still doesn't work right most times, the connector is horrible. Motion picture makers are the ones that have embraced, and invested in HDMI. It was suppose to make things easier to hookup, ie USB. it has made more problems then it has sloved. We still don't have a video format that needs more bandwidth than a high quality componet video cable has.
NEWS FLASH 2
There is more the a cable then a piece of copper or copper clad steel in the case of cheap cables. Just like difference between cat5 and 5e. Cat5 doesn't have the bandwidth to support HD video, Cat5e does. Both cables have 8 24awg conductors, yet one supports 350MHz and the other only 100MHz.

As for the 200 dollar cable costing 20, give your head a shake, yes there is profit in cables. It'd one of the only things that still have margin attached to it in retail sales. Profit is not a dirty word.

My thing is I'm I going to use a 10, 15, 20 dollar cable to connect a clients 3700.00 DVD to a 15,000 dollar projector, in a room that's it worth 140k, knowing that it's not the same quality as the componets.
Like I said in my last post, if it's a cheap projector/display and cheap source then sure the 10 dollar cable maybe fine. But if it's anything $$$$ it's foolish to use cheap cables.

Street_Soldier
12-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Just got the last 2 HDMI cables from the Superstore. Picked up a component and optical cable since i was there. Thanks for the info.

Khyron
12-28-2006, 08:40 PM

Yes, I do work for a place that sells Monster, Liberty, and Wire World.

Physics > you.

1 error in a billion transmissions would make the cable fail certification. I MIGHT be with you on extremely long cable runs, but for 5m or less, enjoy burning money. Do you also sell optical cables with gold contacts for that extra performance?

Khyron

Spike_16v
12-29-2006, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

Physics > you.

1 error in a billion transmissions would make the cable fail certification. I MIGHT be with you on extremely long cable runs, but for 5m or less, enjoy burning money. Do you also sell optical cables with gold contacts for that extra performance?

Khyron
Question How many seconds of video would 1 billion bits be?

That's only if the cables are tested. There was a well know retail manufactuer that was including a HDMI cable with their product. After people compained about the poor quality images on the HDMI input, and bad cables the manufactuer stopped including the cable.
Every cable or piece of equiment sold has to pay a royalty fee. Do you think that the maker of a cable that cost 2 dollars is going to dish out royalty fees?

Yes, I do have a gold plated toslink cable, the Wireworld Supernova 5+. Will the gold plating make a difference? No, but the glass core will.

All I was ever trying to get across was that if you have quality componets, to use a quality cable? I'm not say you need to go buy a 1500 dollar WireWorld HDMI cable just not the cheapest cable you can find. However if you think that the 10 dollar cable will work just fine then so be it.

Oh and how is Physics > ME? Is it because I understand bandwidth and you don't? Or because Physics understands physics better then me? Cause he does, I only have my Physics 30. I'm sure he has a college physics class or two.

Answer:
HDMI 1.2 specs At 1080i roughly 1.3, at 1080p roughly .7.
HDMI 1.3 specs 1080i .6, 1080p .3

Khyron
12-29-2006, 09:59 AM

Question How many seconds of video would 1 billion bits be?

1 bad bit out of a billion would be about 1 pixel off every 6 seconds.

Yes, I do have a gold plated toslink cable, the Wireworld Supernova 5+. Will the gold plating make a difference? No, but the glass core will.

No, it won't. What you fail to grasp is that once you have something that has far greater capacity (be it bandwidth or otherwise) you don't get "more". And the fact that your toslink cable has gold plates means you don't care about tossing money.

All I was ever trying to get across was that if you have quality componets, to use a quality cable? I'm not say you need to go buy a 1500 dollar WireWorld HDMI cable just not the cheapest cable you can find. However if you think that the 10 dollar cable will work just fine then so be it.

Quality. Do you chrome your oil filter? Use cashmere in your air filter? Why not get a solid platinum radiator? I'm sure that's what all the nice cars need. I never said buy the absolute bottom of the barel cable either, but once you pay 30 bucks for a cable (better constructed ends, etc) there is no point going higher.

HDMI is spec'd for 50 feet, more or less, and will still have more than enough bandwidth for 1080p which most people don't even have yet. Yes, even a cheap cable that is not defective.

Oh and how is Physics > ME? Is it because I understand bandwidth and you don't? Or because Physics understands physics better then me? Cause he does, I only have my Physics 30. I'm sure he has a college physics class or two.

I've had a fair bit more than a few college classes, but anyway... What you're missing about bandwidth is that if a device requires 130 million bits/sec and your cable provides 150 million bits/sec, it works. That's it. There is no bonus to having 300 million/sec, or even 30000 million/sec. It's like hooking up cat5e to your cable modem. It's never going to be used.

With analog cables, people like you could convince the herd that you can "see the difference" whereas digital is on/off. No inbetween (again, barring defective or over lengthed runs). Expensive cables are more durable, and look prettier, that's it.

Off for a 5 day ski trip, if you want to really argue, ask rage2 or just search "monster" and see all the other threads.

Khyron