PDA

View Full Version : RHD owners in Canada unite! BC tries to cloor door to imports.

lshobie
12-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Hi Guys/Girls,

My name is Louis and I freequent a Land Cruiser forum. As you know now the BC gov't is trying to have TC close the doors to imports. A few of us who own RHD cruisers have started a yahoo group to register all the RHD owners that we can. The hope is that the word will spread and the group will grow large enough to have an impact on the BC gov't and feds in the near future.
Please go here for further info:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RHDTLC/

As we know for a fact now - the BC gov't is trying to shut the doors to RHD imports and 15 year old vehicles - now is the time to register with the group and become active in preserving your right to RHD vehicles.

Sincerely,

Louis Skebo

A790
12-27-2006, 09:45 AM
C'mon guys, I know a lot of people on here own JDM cars. Show some support!

bspot
12-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Yes, I'm sure the government will be swayed to your side when they see your little internet group :rolleyes:

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Even internet groups can sway... If they do it right. Show some support!

dericer
12-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by bspot
Yes, I'm sure the government will be swayed to your side when they see your little internet group :rolleyes:

Are you kidding? B.C.'s notorious for giving in to small minority groups.

Get some media attention, and the government will give in. It's the NDP / Liberal way.

Aleks
12-27-2006, 11:34 AM
What if you support the government's view on this? Is there a site for that?

gpomp
12-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-27-2006, 12:43 PM

http://forums.beyond.ca/

Mike w
12-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

85regal
12-27-2006, 07:19 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Annoyingrob
12-31-2006, 06:36 PM
So wait, if we live outside of BC we're ok?

Masked Bandit
12-31-2006, 06:42 PM
I think so. My guess is that it's ICBC (the government insurance) that has the problem with RHD, not the government itself.

Anyone still think government insurance is the way to go? Free society my ass.

tentacles
12-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Do they want to ban just RHD? or all imports?

Killa_Kam
01-02-2007, 01:28 AM
ya there is HOMO.COM

Jackc
01-02-2007, 01:43 AM
^ good one :rolleyes:

Aleks
01-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Killa_Kam

ya there is HOMO.COM

http://www.internetcash.com/en/images/baby-crying.jpg

Thanks but I wasn't looking for websites you have bookmarked on your machine.

Toms-SC
01-02-2007, 12:37 PM

http://www.internetcash.com/en/images/baby-crying.jpg

Thanks but I wasn't looking for websites you have bookmarked on your machine.

:rofl:

andres_mt
01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Just curious...There's nothing the government will do about already Canadian registered JDM cars right? :confused:

2002civic
01-03-2007, 01:58 PM
too bad it isn't canada wide

A790
01-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
too bad it isn't canada wide

Why? How has RHD affected you personally?

I think it's great that we have access to other vehicles from other countries.

2002civic
01-03-2007, 02:09 PM
^^because in lethbridge 99.9% of owners tear up and down the streets drifitng around corners almost smoking my car, at least 5 times I've almost been hit thanks to some F and F wannabe because 16 y/o punks can get a somewhat fast car for cheaper than a POS here in canada, plus every light is assumed to be a drag race for them

2002civic
01-03-2007, 02:16 PM
now i may be biased as I'm sure some of the luxury cars and suv's are not driven in this manner, but from my experiences this is what i see and dislike about them

BigMass
01-03-2007, 04:04 PM
^^because in lethbridge 99.9% of owners tear up and down the streets drifitng around corners almost smoking my car, at least 5 times I've almost been hit thanks to some F and F wannabe because 16 y/o punks can get a somewhat fast car for cheaper than a POS here in canada, plus every light is assumed to be a drag race for them

and how is that the fault of the car? punish the driver not other responsible people that want to own the car.

BigMass
01-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by andres_mt
Just curious...There's nothing the government will do about already Canadian registered JDM cars right? :confused:

the Government can do what it wants. Look at the joke it calls "gun control". Now we can have "car control" to save people from dangerous cars! :rolleyes:

86max
01-03-2007, 04:09 PM

I pretty much agree, but it'd be unfair to assume all the rhd drivers are like that, just like it'd be wrong of me to assume you're the stereotypical bmw driver. It's a shame how a few idiots can ruin it for everyone.

I could care less if they ban them, even though I own one. If the gov't deems them unsafe or whatever, fair enough, time to switch up. Whining won't do any good, I doubt any rhd car owner has never not given the slightest thought to this happening.

Lo)2enz0
01-03-2007, 04:32 PM
i hate the rhd stare down. like common guys most people know your driving on the wrong side of the car. but i have to agree that when it comes to these guys being stupid, it has nothing to do with the car. whats going to stop them from buying a 240sx and becoming a little drifting fan boy in the same manner.

after the past year and 8 months i am going to drive like a little bitch in my car.

but back on to the point, it all has to do with money because with the amount of cars being brought in people are going to get mad and start finding ways to get them banned because its hurting their business

thinmyster
01-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by bspot

hahah totally agree

werd sign me up

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-04-2007, 01:38 PM
I like the idea of the imports, not because they're RHD, but because they're affordable. I mean, i've seen way nicer cars then mine, come in at the same price I paid for mine. Although I did see an R32 w/ a LHD conversion and a custom molded r34 front end... mmmm LHD skyline... :drool:

blueripper6
01-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0

but back on to the point, it all has to do with money because with the amount of cars being brought in people are going to get mad and start finding ways to get them banned because its hurting their business

The people who buy these cars wouldnt have bought a brand new car anyways, example: Brand new 350z or a 15 year old skyline.. hmm.

People buy these cars because there cheap, cool, fun ect ect..

now the government thinks they are losing money on these cars, instead of people buying from the dealership(which is stupid because like I said, these people wouldnt have bought a new car anyways) Thats the only reason they want to ban them, business's are losing cash dollars = GOVERNMENT is losing cash dollars.

Do you really think they give a fuck if these cars are dangerous?

LOL, hell no, only thing they care about is MONEY!!!!!!!!

Btw, with OOP, GST, and parts costs, wouldnt they be making more money off a JDM car then a car then a used car NOT through the dealership

Cheeze
01-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
i hate the rhd stare down. like common guys most people know your driving on the wrong side of the car. but i have to agree that when it comes to these guys being stupid, it has nothing to do with the car. whats going to stop them from buying a 240sx and becoming a little drifting fan boy in the same manner.

after the past year and 8 months i am going to drive like a little bitch in my car.

Anybody ever tell you youre a fag?

C4S
01-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I think it is an good idea ... :D

ninspeed
01-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by blueripper6

Do you really think they give a fuck if these cars are dangerous?

LOL, hell no, only thing they care about is MONEY!!!!!!!!

ICBC is an insurance company run by the gov't, they are also the cheapest pricks around. The chance of a rhd causing a major accident on a highway during passing is greater than a LHD (you can argue this all you want, but its true). one major accident can blow the bottom line of an insurance company, espically on a high way where large amounts of goods are being shippedl.

I dont care if a car is rhd or lhd.

PremiumRSX
01-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Lol and like all the idiots that crash their skylines and everything else.

But I agree with the post just after yours, its the drivers not the cars. Police need to be enforcing traffic laws more down there then. Taking away RHD cars and they will just do the same in another car thats not RHD.

PremiumRSX
01-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Oh yea, I just came up with another point.
Since the JDM cars are probably the best bang for buck you can find around. I think that in a way is inticing and may influence people to street race or drive recklessly for.
The more power you give people, the more likely they'll want to use/abuse it. Applies to politics, and I believe applies to cars.
You don't really see people try to drag race, street race, or drive recklessly in slow or stock cars. Its after they say modify their cars or drive a faster stock car that they feel superior and may start driving like dumbasses.

Cheeze
01-06-2007, 02:15 PM
The point is....you can make any car fast......what the fuck is the difference whether it comes from japan or usa or canada.

ive seen 12 second civics, what about 300zx twin turbos.....what about rx7 turbos and twin turbos..........all of these cars have the same potential as any import from japan.......so you wanna stop accidents...you better ban all fast cars....and i dont see that happening any time soon. If the insurance companys had their way, we would all be driving chevy sprints.

its not the car, its the driver. I however do agree that there is more of a chance of a rhd car getting in an accident ON A 2 LANE HIWAY. Thats the only one.

Its mostly money....

mx73someday
01-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Here is a study by Transport Canada, "Study on the Effect of Vehicle Age and the Importation of Vehicles 15 Years and Older on the Number of Fatalities, Serious Injuries and Collisions in Canada":

http://www.luxuryimports.ca/faq/joinfight.php

Cheeze
01-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Well part of that is bullshit. AFAIK, there are shitloads of rhd veichles in teh states legally. The states must have special allowances...because if they truly did have a 25 year rule....how the fuck did MotoRex exist.......

I think theres alot of falseness in that report. Yah, ppl under 25 do mostly drive the older cars...because we are not yet stable enuff to drive a new car, or dont wanna be tied down by high payments and forced full insurance covereage on new cars.

Again, i will stress...its not the car that hurts ppl, its the driver. Guns dont kill ppl, ppl kill ppl........

the problem is between the seat and the steering wheel.

Also, as the article says....maintance is the problem...BULLSHIT, when the cars come here, they have to pass an OOP. Thats a pretty rigorous inspection, and its the same one cars 15 years and older get here. Ive heard theyre so picky they dont pass a car for not having DOT approved headlights.

tentacles
01-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I have a hard time believing that TC actually came up with a document so stupid. I'm not going to bother poking all the holes since luxuryimports has already covered most of them and reading those scans hurts my eyes, but an 8 year old can see that "study" is complete garbage. :nut:

89s1
01-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Cheeze
Well part of that is bullshit. AFAIK, there are shitloads of rhd veichles in teh states legally. The states must have special allowances...because if they truly did have a 25 year rule....how the fuck did MotoRex exist.......

I think theres alot of falseness in that report. Yah, ppl under 25 do mostly drive the older cars...because we are not yet stable enuff to drive a new car, or dont wanna be tied down by high payments and forced full insurance covereage on new cars.

Again, i will stress...its not the car that hurts ppl, its the driver. Guns dont kill ppl, ppl kill ppl........

the problem is between the seat and the steering wheel.

Also, as the article says....maintance is the problem...BULLSHIT, when the cars come here, they have to pass an OOP. Thats a pretty rigorous inspection, and its the same one cars 15 years and older get here. Ive heard theyre so picky they dont pass a car for not having DOT approved headlights.

Way to not blow off the handle and keep it on the level for that whole post.

maturity is a big thing here, most of these cars ARE being driven by people under the age of 25 and it is by no fault of the car that these accidents are happening. If a ballljoint fails on a RHD 1990 Ma70 supra from japan and sends the car hurtling into oncoming traffic, a USDM counterpart 1990 supra could have the same failure.

The best line of that whole post is: "The problem is between the seat and the steering wheel."

[Rant]
If things ever get to the point where older cars are pronounced "unsafe" at a certain age they had better show up to my place with a flatbed and a chainsaw when they take my 1989 civic away, cuz im strapped to the car like a hippy on a tree.
I've maintained my car and KNOW that the tierods/balljoints are newer than those of almost every car on every used car lot in Alberta. I would bet that i've been under my car more than the average persons car gets looked under in 3 of its lifetimes.
[Rant]

Toms-SC
01-10-2007, 12:26 AM
OOP and rigorous should not be used together.

K tanks bye

avow
01-10-2007, 02:01 AM
so what does this mean for the average individual importing a car at this time?

Ford
01-10-2007, 02:11 AM
Well here's where I think the problem lies, we drive on the right side of the road and sit on the left. If it was safe or cool to drive on the right side as well they probably would make rhd as well for the lefties. Got the drift (no pun)

DONE!

GT-R rated
01-10-2007, 07:57 AM
if you take your time with it and are patient passing and left turning RHD is no more dangerous than LHD. In all honisty if it were up to me i'd change the 15 yr rule to 25 years just to stop moron kids from importing crap and giving the rest of us JDM drivers a bad name.

roadking11
01-10-2007, 10:02 PM
this sucks :eek:

avow
01-10-2007, 11:54 PM
what i might be satisfied with is if they banned jdms but allowed them in for race purposes. i would have an r34 and mkiv so fast...

and yes i know you can use those cars for track right now but have you seen how hard it is to get them in?:drama:

AsianCaucasian
01-10-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by GT-R rated
if you take your time with it and are patient passing and left turning RHD is no more dangerous than LHD. In all honisty if it were up to me i'd change the 15 yr rule to 25 years just to stop moron kids from importing crap and giving the rest of us JDM drivers a bad name.

Tell that to the guy that almost t-boned me tonight.

japancar
01-11-2007, 03:05 AM
I don't know why there is such an issue with rhd cars in Canada. In Japan, there are so many lhd German cars (since the Japanese think its cool) and there is never an issue with registering them or getting insurance. They are commonplace and no one gives them a second look (unless its an amazing car). I hope that with time, Canada will have the same attitude and people will be less worried about them on the road.

Just to add, with time, people should gain more experience in driving rhd cars. And, most posters are right, its the driver, not the car, that's dangerous.