PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get an adapter for Component input and other output?

Mar
12-27-2006, 06:24 PM
My TV has every input except for component and I am trying to hook up my Wii and PS2 via the component cables. So I need to know if there is anything that will take a component video input and something like a DVI or HDMI output. Or maybe even VGA if there is no quality loss.

gpomp
12-27-2006, 06:38 PM
dvi and hdmi won't work since they are digital and component is analog. if your tv has vga, you can try this cable from monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2409&seq=1&format=2&style=

i don't know whether or not it will work but it's only $2.86 so it won't hurt to try.

Mar
12-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Will there be any quality loss converting from Component to VGA?

Mar
12-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Wait, that cable is component output, I need component input.

lexIS300
12-27-2006, 07:18 PM
use a vcr?

gpomp
12-27-2006, 07:18 PM
actually, after reading the description i don't know if this will work.

This cable doesn't support a computer monitor video port, or Y , Cr, Cb Video. Your video source should provide a YpbPr Component Video Signal from the HD 15 video ports to use this cable.
This cable can not convert the video signal from one type to another. Both devices must be compatible with the same signal. Do not assume that this cable will work just because you have a VGA port (ie. you can't use this cable to connect your PC to a device that only accepts component video, since PCs do not output component video).

soupey
12-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Mar
My TV has every input except for component and I am trying to hook up my Wii and PS2 via the component cables. So I need to know if there is anything that will take a component video input and something like a DVI or HDMI output. Or maybe even VGA if there is no quality loss.

ps2 and wii arent high def i dont think...will it make much of a difference using component?

Xtrema
12-27-2006, 08:51 PM
You'll need this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/HDTV-Component-Video-Adapter-DVI-I-to-YPrPb-NEW-Gold_W0QQitemZ220064736994QQihZ012QQcategoryZ61396QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and this for multiple inputs

http://cgi.ebay.ca/4-1-AUDIO-AUTHORITY-1154A-COMPONENT-VIDEO-SWITCHER-HDTV_W0QQitemZ330065306668QQihZ014QQcategoryZ294QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#picture

Mar
12-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
You'll need this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/HDTV-Component-Video-Adapter-DVI-I-to-YPrPb-NEW-Gold_W0QQitemZ220064736994QQihZ012QQcategoryZ61396QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and this for multiple inputs

http://cgi.ebay.ca/4-1-AUDIO-AUTHORITY-1154A-COMPONENT-VIDEO-SWITCHER-HDTV_W0QQitemZ330065306668QQihZ014QQcategoryZ294QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#picture
No, that converts DVI to component. I need the other way around. They're not bidirectional.

Street_Soldier
12-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Try getting a AV Receiver with Component video switching. I think this is the third time I have said this to you. Many AV Receviers will have a component input. You can choose to output through component, Super Video, Composite and in many cases HDMI.

Game Device -----> Component Cable ----> Receiver ----> Super Video Cable ----> Projector

with a better A/V Receiver

Game Device -----> Component Cable ----> Receiver ----> HDMI ----> Projector

OR

Game Device -----> Component Cable ----> Receiver ----> HDMI ------> HDMI to DVI Convertor ----> Projector

There is a device that will Convert Component to DVI... though I dont remember where I saw it. I think its a better investment to just get a good receiver that does it for you and countless other stuff too. This way you can connect your dvd player, playstation, nintendo, cd player, ipod, computer and a bunch of other stuff right into your projector without having to switch up all the wiring.

gpomp
12-28-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier
Try getting a AV Receiver with Component video switching. I think this is the third time I have said this to you. Many AV Receviers will have a component input. You can choose to output through component, Super Video, Composite and in many cases HDMI.

Game Device -----> Component Cable ----> Receiver ----> Super Video Cable ----> Projector

with a better A/V Receiver

Game Device -----> Component Cable ----> Receiver ----> HDMI ----> Projector

OR

Game Device -----> Component Cable ----> Receiver ----> HDMI ------> HDMI to DVI Convertor ----> Projector

There is a device that will Convert Component to DVI... though I dont remember where I saw it. I think its a better investment to just get a good receiver that does it for you and countless other stuff too. This way you can connect your dvd player, playstation, nintendo, cd player, ipod, computer and a bunch of other stuff right into your projector without having to switch up all the wiring.

converting from component to hdmi isn't as easy as it sounds, it's analog to digital. most receivers will do composite/s-video to component output which is analog to analog. if you want to convert to hdmi you're looking at receivers above $1000. here's one on sale at FS:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10080050&catid=

Xtrema
12-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Mar

No, that converts DVI to component. I need the other way around. They're not bidirectional.

Look again, that dongle goes into the DVI port on your TV an turn it into a component input.

gpomp
12-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Look again, that dongle goes into the DVI port on your TV an turn it into a component input.
that adapter won't work unless his tv supports analog dvi inputs...

Xtrema
12-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

that adapter won't work unless his tv supports analog dvi inputs...

Yeah, that's the catch. DVI-I not DVI-D.

If you want a true upscaler, you'll need something like this:

http://store.pcpowerzone.com/vicotodvsc.html

Mar
12-31-2006, 01:40 AM
I asked one of the guys at Futureshop and as soon as I got the words component and input out of my mouth, he cut me off and said no. There doesn't seem to be any sort of machine, including receivers, that'll upscale from component to a digital signal like DVI or HDMI....at least not one for under $200. But I was told of a place here in Calgary called Alberta Computer Cable (www.cablesbyacc.com) who actually make Audio/video cables so if it exists, they should be able to make it. My only hope right now is a component to VGA converter which is the only way to get component input to the projector without signal loss and without $$$ loss. I'm going to try this ACC place Tuesday and see what they have, otherwise I have to return the projector and get an actual home theater one with component input like the HD72.

gp36912
12-31-2006, 02:05 AM
^^^ nice find on the shop for 20 bucks i am gonna go get one of those dvi - hdmi cables :D woot

Whitetiger
12-31-2006, 02:10 AM
:thumbsup: for A.C.C.