PDA

View Full Version : Pan's Labyrinth

spiceboy
12-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Does anyone know where and when this movie is showing in Calgary, if at all? Thanks!

89coupe
02-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Went and saw this movie last night with the GF. What a deep and disturbing movie. Not anything like I was expecting but at the same time a very good movie.

This is definitely not a movie for children, extremely graphic violence. I was rather surprised to see some adults bringing young children to this movie.

01RedDX
02-11-2007, 01:07 PM

DJ Lazy
02-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Yea, saw this a week to two ago at Westhill Theatre, and I must say that it was excellent IMO.. I really enjoyed it even though I generally can't stand a movie with subtitles ALL the way through..

:thumbsup:

samo147
02-11-2007, 01:28 PM
http://calgarymovies.com/movies/movie.asp?id=-1746605515

this sites got listings

i saw it when it came out
good movie
not for kids haha as mentioned above

Godfuader
02-11-2007, 11:33 PM
W T F !!! That is all I can say about this movie. We were expecting Narnia meets alice in wonderland with cool special effects. This was just...WOW....one of the oddest movies ever!

hjr
02-11-2007, 11:59 PM
i thought it was decent, but the graphic violence was a bit of a shock at first. i too was hoping for a bit more of the 'fantasy' and less of the real life, but i really was not aware of the concept going in

BerserkerCatSplat
02-12-2007, 02:28 AM
The preview really did a terrible job of presenting what this movie was about. I, too, was expecting a more fantasy-oriented film, a mix of Alice in Wonderland and Narnia. Pan's Labyrinth, however, was one hell of a depressing movie. The whole thing was a series of down notes, with very few positive moments to balance out the disturbing scenes. I liked how it was open to a bit of interpretation, but I found the whole plot to be highly predictable, especially who dies and when. The "food" monster was very, very well-imagined and was rather unsettling - certainly one of the better moments of the film. However, I found the overall story to be very undeveloped and poorly explained, and the ending was nothing short of disappointing - and again, rather predictable.

I had high hopes for it even after finding out the movie's true tone and direction, but the weak story, ambiguous characters, and predictable nature will keep me from recommending this movie to anyone.

As a side note, one father brought his son to see the movie, who couldn't have been older than 10. Poor kid is sure to have nightmares!

hjr
02-12-2007, 12:29 PM
i kind of liked the fact that everyone was the same, no mercy on either side. The commies were just as bad as the fascists given the chance. (human nature perhaps)

Godfuader
02-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
The "food" monster was very, very well-imagined and was rather unsettling - certainly one of the better moments of the film.

:werd: This movie is one you have to see on the big screen (if you were planning on seeing it at all) This is sure to be a disappointment as a rental. Watch the movie with no expectations and you will still come out saying :confused: :eek: :dunno: :english: