PDA

View Full Version : Reformatted Windows XP now Internet won't work?

/////AMG
12-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Don't know whats going on since I've reformatted XP tons of times before this time the net won't work, no matter what.

But some files didn't install from XP these three; driver.cab, tsbvcap.sys, and tsbyuv.dll.
This HAS happened before and XP worked fine and so did the internet.

Any suggestions/help?

Thanks.

PS. If it makes a difference its XP Pro SP2

Thaco
12-28-2006, 12:42 PM
did you install drivers for your nic card? check in control panel>system>hardware>device manager and see if there's any stuff in there with a ! in side a yellow circle, i'm willing to bet your nic is in there with that, meaning it needs drivers.

/////AMG
12-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Nic card?

I've got a yellow question mark in a which is "Other Devices" and under that are

Ethernet Controller
Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
SM Bus Controller

all which have the same question and ! nest to them.
Whats nic and where can I get the drivers?

HoisinSauce
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
thats why
Ethernet Controller
Ethernet Controller

those are your nic cards
without drivers for those you'll have no net

try doing this, go to control panel>add remove hardware> select the ethernet controller and hit next > pop in your xp cd and see if the xp cd pick up the drivers of there

/////AMG
12-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Tried that, it tries searching for those drivers from the CD for a fe wminutes but nothing and asks to connect to the internet to find them.

I'm guessing my CD is messed up which caused this.
Isn't there any way I can manual download it and someone install the drivers?

I'll try a search.

Thaco
12-28-2006, 01:50 PM
yeah, you can, if you know what your nic card is you can download the drivers from the manufacturer's website, or if it's onboard there should be a 4-in-1 driver pack available from the mobo manufacturer's website.

/////AMG
12-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Nice one guys! :thumbsup:

I put in my NVidia disc and it then asked for my XP disc and it now works perfect.

Any idea what might of caused this in the first place?

Also, those other things under the "Other devices" tab with the !, are they fine or should they be sorted out too?

Thaco
12-28-2006, 02:20 PM
those "other things" just look like your sound card or video card, which will likely work ok with the standard drivers, but you could update the drivers if you have them, just right click the item and click uninstall, then restart and it'll detect them again, then choose the option where you'd like to specify the location of the driver and then point to the one you'd downloaded.

eur0
12-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Every time you do a fresh install of windows it removes all the existing drivers, it basically doesnt know that you have ethernet until you install your motherboard (nvidia) disc with the network drivers on it.