PDA

View Full Version : HID's installed...already starting to flicker!

carzcraz
12-28-2006, 04:09 PM
My fiance brought his car to Speedtech yesterday (Wednesday) to get his Helios HID installed. Everything was working fine up until later that night when one of the HID bulbs started to flicker.

Unfortunately, we will need to make another trip back to have the issue resolved. In the meantime though, does anybody have an idea of what the problem could be? I did a quick search and the likely problem seems to be either the bulb or ballast?

Thanks in advance

:)

benyl
12-28-2006, 04:13 PM
probably a bad ballast.

You should really only buy OEM ballasts like philips or osram.

carzcraz
12-28-2006, 04:14 PM
would the bad ballast have anything to do with the way it was installed? Or just a defected one from Helios?

Thx!

benyl
12-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Well, unless he is getting water in the ballast (it is wet out there right now), it probably isn't the install.

carzcraz
12-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Well car is going back next Friday...will update how things go

thanks benyl

FiveFreshFish
12-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Swap the bulbs and note what happens. This will help Speedtech figure out the problem.

ls/vtec-crx
12-28-2006, 06:36 PM
YEAH i'll take car of it since i installed it! :thumbsup:

What year is your DC5 anyways? I've got JDM DC5 ITR Headlights w/OEM HID's :eek:

carzcraz
12-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx
YEAH i'll take car of it since i installed it! :thumbsup:

What year is your DC5 anyways? I've got JDM DC5 ITR Headlights w/OEM HID's :eek:

Thanks a lot Allan!! HID's definitely look NICE :)

Btw, it's an 02

GTS Jeff
12-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Got pics? Of yourself?

Police
12-28-2006, 10:57 PM
what kelvin rating did u buy???

redevil
12-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Got pics? Of yourself?

:nut:

lowryder99
12-29-2006, 01:31 PM
How are they wired? Was it a "direct plug and play kit"?

Because half of those are b.s. you need to run a proper relay harness, the stock wiring isn't set up to take that much amperage on power up, mine flickered like crazy at the most akward times. I did everything, swapped bulbs, wires, ballasts etc..etc.....made a relay harness and never had a problem since.

bspot
12-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Also check for a bad relay. I've seen the relays get wet and cause flickering.

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by lowryder99

Because half of those are b.s. you need to run a proper relay harness, the stock wiring isn't set up to take that much amperage on power up, mine flickered like crazy at the most akward times. I did everything, swapped bulbs, wires, ballasts etc..etc.....made a relay harness and never had a problem since.

I doubt it was a plug n play kit... It was professionally installed by STRD...

+1 for pics... of yourself. :bigpimp:

carzcraz
12-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Lol sorry guys..I'm engaged lol. I will however, post pictures of my S2000 once I get all the parts installed :)

Anyway, I purchased the 6000k for him and yes it was installed professionally at STRD.

Thanks again for all the input. I'm sure this will be resolved in no time, it's probably a no-brainer lol.

GTS Jeff
12-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by carzcraz
Lol sorry guys..I'm engaged lol. Don't give me that! I'm not asking you to be unfaithful, I'm just asking for some pics. Yeesh, women these days can be so uppity.

dj_rice
12-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Don't give me that! I'm not asking you to be unfaithful, I'm just asking for some pics. Yeesh, women these days can be so uppity.

For a moment there I thought it was E-mack Arif talking...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ls/vtec-crx
12-29-2006, 07:13 PM
It is a plug and play kit. No hacking of the harness and it doesn't use relays!!!

CivicDXR
12-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by lowryder99

I've been using my direct plug-n-play kit from Speedtech for 3 years, not a single issue with it... plug-n-play kit in the other car came with its own wiring harness and relay and it has been perfect too...

GTS Jeff
12-30-2006, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

I've been using my direct plug-n-play kit from Speedtech for 3 years, not a single issue with it... plug-n-play kit in the other car came with its own wiring harness and relay and it has been perfect too... There is truth to what the n00b is saying. HIDs draw insane current during the initial warm-up phase, current that the stock wiring/switches aren't really designed to handle. If you're lucky, like you, then nothing happens. It's such a short time span (10-15s) that nothing will happen to the wiring, but stuff like the headlight switch are tiny and can die from too much juice. The ideal solution is to provide the HID ballasts with their own direct power source from the battery; and the way get the OEM headlight switch wiring to trigger the isolated circuit is by using relays. Yes, it is more work, but it's also, "doing it right."

CivicDXR
12-30-2006, 04:14 AM
There is truth to what the n00b is saying. HIDs draw insane current during the initial warm-up phase, current that the stock wiring/switches aren't really designed to handle. If you're lucky, like you, then nothing happens. It's such a short time span (10-15s) that nothing will happen to the wiring, but stuff like the headlight switch are tiny and can die from too much juice. The ideal solution is to provide the HID ballasts with their own direct power source from the battery; and the way get the OEM headlight switch wiring to trigger the isolated circuit is by using relays. Yes, it is more work, but it's also, "doing it right."

Yes, I understand that, and it does make sense. In fact, the second kit I have (High/Low) does have its own power source from the battery which is triggered by a relay getting its open signal from the OEM switch. I'm just saying that I've had no problems with the direct kit.

Police
01-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

I doubt it was a plug n play kit... It was professionally installed by STRD...

+1 for pics... of yourself. :bigpimp:

you are so smart, they don't sell plug and play kits. They sell the ones where you have to build yourself.
:dunno:

you would probably pay someone to "professionally" install a plug and play kit.

LMAO i find that very hysterical :rofl:

Whats so professional about plugging in a few wires and strapping it down with zip ties hahaha

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Police

you are so smart, they don't sell plug and play kits. They sell the ones where you have to build yourself.
:dunno:

you would probably pay someone to "professionally" install a plug and play kit.

LMAO i find that very hysterical :rofl:

Whats so professional about plugging in a few wires and strapping it down with zip ties hahaha

Originally posted by CivicDXR

I've been using my direct plug-n-play kit from Speedtech for 3 years, not a single issue with it... plug-n-play kit in the other car came with its own wiring harness and relay and it has been perfect too...

Wow... Good reading numbnuts... There ARE plug and play kits, as was confirmed, in fact, I've seen a friend install one on his own. Stop assuming stupid shit and read the rest of the posts.

Police
01-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Wow... Good reading numbnuts... There ARE plug and play kits, as was confirmed, in fact, I've seen a friend install one on his own. Stop assuming stupid shit and read the rest of the posts.

So my reading sucks now??? coming from the person who thought speedtech does not sell plug and play kits cause they are "professional" hid installers hahaha you're a douche bag.:banghead:

AGAIN, YOU ARE SO SMART SON!:thumbsdow