PDA

View Full Version : Business Analysts

civicHB
12-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Hey,
Any Business analysts here? this seems like an interesting field and I would like some info as how to make the career change.

lint
12-29-2006, 11:03 AM
What specifically are you wanting to know?

CaptainReboot
12-29-2006, 12:03 PM
There are several types of business analysts. I'm a BA but I work on the IT side. There are BA's who work on the accounting side.

What I can tell you is I'm in a lot of meetings.....

bigboom
12-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
There are several types of business analysts. I'm a BA but I work on the IT side. There are BA's who work on the accounting side.

What I can tell you is I'm in a lot of meetings.....

im a BA onthe accounting side and i can also tell you im in a LOT of meetings.

lint
12-29-2006, 12:55 PM
I'm inbetween projects, I'm playing alot of online poker :D

civicHB
12-31-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm looking for more towards the IT side, not accounting related. I just want to know what courses or particular skills I need to acquire. I'm currently working with MS access and building requirements.

lint
12-31-2006, 04:52 PM
you don't NEED to take any courses, your career path can progress you. typically:

developer/programmer -> programmer analyst -> business analyst

there is a BA certificate program that is offered through Mt Royal as well.

I've also found that even if you don't want to progress through the accounting route, having a grasp of the concepts can be invaluable, especially coupled with a tech background.

CaptainReboot
12-31-2006, 05:13 PM
I didn't really take any courses for it, except for a few in university. I've done development, help desk, and network administration, so I've got some good experience in those IT areas.

Having a tech background will definately help out a lot, since you understand the technology behind the solutions. A lot of it is just learn as you go.

There is also a Masters of Business Analyst certficate (MCBA)that is offered through the University of Lethbridge that you can take. If you're already working, check and see if your company would pay for something like that. I'm thinking about taking it.

civicHB
01-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replies
I'm realizing that its mostly experience, i've been looking for entry level positions but most require some experience which i dont have. Nait is offering a BA certificate and i'm hoping my company will be willing to pay for it:dunno:

CaptainReboot
01-03-2007, 09:49 AM
Yeah, most BA positions require experience, unless you start in a new grad program at some of the bigger firms.

I got into it at a smaller company because I told them that is what I wanted to do and here I am.

Too many meetings though. Have three of them today....which is low...haha.