PDA

View Full Version : Removing Stock CD Player from 1997 Honda Prelude

Karim316
12-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Hey
I just bought a 1997 Honda Prelude yesterday. I am getting an Error message on the CD Player display. It won't play Cd's or the radio. It's a single CD not a changer. The guy provided me with the anti-theft unlock code but it's not working (Unless I'm doing it wrong. I just started the car and then input the numbers). He says the reason why the error showed up is when he replaced the battery it locked out. I know that Honda can provide an unlock code as long as you have the head unit serial number. I would like to fairly soon replace the stock unit with an mp3 deck so would like to know how to remove it as well. Thanks for the help

ryder_23
12-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Karim316
Hey
I just bought a 1997 Honda Prelude yesterday. I am getting an Error message on the CD Player display. It won't play Cd's or the radio. It's a single CD not a changer. The guy provided me with the anti-theft unlock code but it's not working (Unless I'm doing it wrong. I just started the car and then input the numbers). He says the reason why the error showed up is when he replaced the battery it locked out. I know that Honda can provide an unlock code as long as you have the head unit serial number. I would like to fairly soon replace the stock unit with an mp3 deck so would like to know how to remove it as well. Thanks for the help

well when u turn it on, hit like volume knob in to turn it on, it hsould then ask for code, then type in your code and voila, hopefully it works, if not then the code is either wrong, or the radio is screwed. As for removal, i pretty much just pullled mine straight out if i remember correctly, from the passenger side you can look right behind at it, and see if anything is actually hooked up, but i completely forget..i put my factory back in anyways.

Karim316
12-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

well when u turn it on, hit like volume knob in to turn it on, it hsould then ask for code, then type in your code and voila, hopefully it works, if not then the code is either wrong, or the radio is screwed. As for removal, i pretty much just pullled mine straight out if i remember correctly, from the passenger side you can look right behind at it, and see if anything is actually hooked up, but i completely forget..i put my factory back in anyways.

Wow that was a fast reply
Yea I did that with the volume. I think I am getting an Err3 message which means that the incorrect code was entered 3 times. To reset that i'm going to have to uninstall the battery again????

I am worried about yanking it out, cus it seems pretty firm. There are no clips at the side or anything that need to me pushed in??

ryder_23
12-31-2006, 02:49 PM
ya bored at work, got nothing better to do.

It might have the push in style on the side of the deck, i'm not sure. I'll go outside in a few and take a look at it and let you know, hell i could rip it out i guess too if i got enough time.

As for the code, i'd try honda....I happen to memorize mine since my stupid battery kept dying one summer, good thing to keep ahold on. Worst comes to work pull the clock/radio fuse in the engine compartment for a few seconds, and it should reset it for u, without having u to disconnect it all.

Karim316
12-31-2006, 02:52 PM
Yea i'll do that
would be a lot easier

Thanks for your help. Let me know what you find out

arian_ma
12-31-2006, 04:19 PM
To remove the deck you need to take out the plastic trimming around the deck and your heat control. It is clipped so be careful not to break it.
Then there are 4 screws and it just slides right out.

Karim316
12-31-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
To remove the deck you need to take out the plastic trimming around the deck and your heat control. It is clipped so be careful not to break it.
Then there are 4 screws and it just slides right out.

Do I unscrew that plastic trimming or pull it out by hand? And does anyone know where the clips are roughly?

Karim316
12-31-2006, 08:29 PM
So does anyone know how to remove that Plastic trim to get my deck out???

euro_racer
12-31-2006, 08:35 PM
^^ basically just pull on it, the clips are really tight on there so it feels like its not going anywhere but you have to pull really hard. try grabbing one corner and start from there, use a panal popper if you have one