PDA

View Full Version : Im 99.9% certain Im going to get fired - what should I do beyond?

CaseoftheEX
12-31-2006, 06:16 PM
The big question is should I just quit? I have 4 days off until Im in next, it gives me some time to think it over about what would be best for me to do. Its over such a stupid minor little thing too. my god, its so pathetic...

But since the highest up boss doesnt like me (nor do i like her either). In fact we hate each other, but I at least dont show it - I'll still say hi and so on, whereas she will just give me the "talk to the hand b****." So its like whatever, if she wants to be that way and treat me like a piece of sh!t, then thats her problem. I figure why keep me here?

she doesnt trust me at all - even has instructed people to watch me for when shes not here. FOr pete sakes, why not just attach a spycam to me everytime I enter and leave the buiding - christ!

so basically, I will be fired because I left 10mins early yesterday, in which it was only 5 going by my watch. But apparently my watch was 5 mins ahead from the time here and I didnt know that. So woopdie doo - if they want to make a big fuss over this, then so be it. Here we have other people surf the net all day, are an hour late every shift, always calling in sick, dont even show, just sit here and do nothing but pick their nose and talk non stop with coworkers, take a smoke break every hour, and yet they never get in crap for it? Whatever...

One of the supervisors was in yesterday when I was here and noticed it and immediately emailed me asking why, and I noticed it was also forwarded to the high up boss as well. I knew right then and there, its over. I know them two by now, and this one supervisor is the others goodie tissue.

And just for the record, ive always left 5 mins early everyday - a lot of people do this and they dont have a problem with it (otherwise they would have brought it up by now). But yet I accidentally left 10mins early because my watch was 5 mins ahead and they are going to can me over that? Whatever...what a crock of sh!t, I dont even wanna be here anymore.

I can tell she has been aching to fire me for some time now, she's just been waiting for the littliest thing to come up so she has a reason. :rolleyes: They treat me like scum, and I dont need this bullsh!t in my life right now.

So what do you say? Quit now? Should I even bother telling her in person? I say just email her - since she treats me like a god damn piece of sh!t, why bother even going in or calling. Beep Beep Beep!

3G
12-31-2006, 06:22 PM
go in be like "u cant fire me cuz i quit bitch"

bimeer123
12-31-2006, 06:24 PM
where do u work?

marko polo
12-31-2006, 06:25 PM
it all depends on how good youre job is. if its a high paying job with lots of benefits and in high demand i say try making amends but if its just a bs job tell the bitch to go fuck herself and make a big scene at work just to ruin her day, it would also prollly help if you were completely hammered and full of rage when u did this.

01RedDX
12-31-2006, 06:27 PM

CaseoftheEX
12-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 3G
go in be like "u cant fire me cuz i quit bitch" with the mood im in right now, thats my ideal choice - however its the least professional.

Either way, using this BS company as a future ref is toast.

CaseoftheEX
12-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Doesn't sound like a very good work environment to me. this place is the most disorganized place ive ever worked at. People intentionally show up half way into their shift, sometimes dont even show and get nothing. And yet im getting this? Whatever, thats all i have to say. They can all rot in hell.

Crymson
12-31-2006, 06:35 PM
If your sitting on any type of salaried position, or with options, they pretty much have to give you a package and at least vest your options before firing.

That's why you hear a about alot of employers trying to persuede their employees to go elsewhere rather than firing them. They want to you to leave, you want to leave, so they just make it condusive for you to do so.

I say stay, for 2 reasons.

1) you can do the absolute bare minimum of work until they do fire you because you know you're not getting a good reference from them anyway.

2) if you quite, you forfeit any sort of package, and any grounds to contest them for wrongful dissmissal. I would think any sort of package is contingent on you accepting your dissmissal and any rights to pursue them in court. So by quitting, you're giving them what they want.

If the job is a shitty, hourly based job, that you could get another within a day, then it's probably worth saving the aggravation and just quit. But if it's anything that could even remotely be considered a career, you could be walking away from thousands of dollars if you quit.

My 0.02$, i work in a large office, and i've only EVER heard of 1 person ACTUALY getting honestly fired, and he walked away with a half year's salary and all his options vested. Probably didnt NEED a job for a year at least. But i've heard of alot of people who were convinced to quit, or made so uncomfortable that they felt they HAD to quit, and got jack shit.

Audio_Rookie
12-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Reminds me of convergys lol....I hated my boss and eventually just didn't care. I would clock in, go home, come back 8 hours later and clock out. I would put someone on hold for hours while I played zelda through a proxy. I would leave when I wanted and work when i wanted...never looked at my schedule. Sometimes i stayed clocked in overnight and got like 12 hours overtime even though i was sleeping at home after i finished my shift.

Gave away stupidly high amounts of credit to a few costumers....like they will never pay for tv or internet for the rest of their life.

I did that for about 6 months. Then I left and had a new job and didn't tell my boss, just called in sick every now and then so he had to do paperwork. 3 months after I already was working my new job i got a letter saying there letting me go. I didn't care if i quite or they fired me because they don't do references anyways. But it was nice to make that extra work for my old boss.

I got away with so much shit......my god.....its unbelievable. I am a legend at that place :).

All about learning the system. But sounds like your in a rougher starting position than I was and you fear getting fired before you do anything seriously wrong.

I say, don't tell her in person. Or tell her in person, and make sure everyone in the building sees some kind of action on your quitting (swearing at boss or whatever...make a fake story about her having a bad std lol).

CaseoftheEX
12-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
If your sitting on any type of salaried position, or with options, they pretty much have to give you a package and at least vest your options before firing.

That's why you hear a about alot of employers trying to persuede their employees to go elsewhere rather than firing them. They want to you to leave, you want to leave, so they just make it condusive for you to do so.

I say stay, for 2 reasons.

1) you can do the absolute bare minimum of work until they do fire you because you know you're not getting a good reference from them anyway.

2) if you quite, you forfeit any sort of package, and any grounds to contest them for wrongful dissmissal. I would think any sort of package is contingent on you accepting your dissmissal and any rights to pursue them in court. So by quitting, you're giving them what they want.

If the job is a shitty, hourly based job, that you could get another within a day, then it's probably worth saving the aggravation and just quit. But if it's anything that could even remotely be considered a career, you could be walking away from thousands of dollars if you quit.

My 0.02$, i work in a large office, and i've only EVER heard of 1 person ACTUALY getting honestly fired, and he walked away with a half year's salary and all his options vested. Probably didnt NEED a job for a year at least. But i've heard of alot of people who were convinced to quit, or made so uncomfortable that they felt they HAD to quit, and got jack shit.

No way in hell is it a career job - hourly POS job a bum off the street can get. The only, and I do mean ONLY reason Im there is because it pays very well.

You know how the saying goes "everyone should have EQUAL rights in the workplace"? That definitely aint the case with me. There is so much favourtism in the office, it makes me sick to my stomach. Why do yo uthink the people who show up late every day or call in sick every week get away with it? Its a crock of shAt if you ask me. She dont know jack squat in how to properly run an organized workplace.

I didnt even know who the hell she was, only until the 5th month into the job - and this was the case with many others. Ya, thanks for introducing yourself.....lady!

:thumbsdow:rolleyes: :thumbsdow

alpha
12-31-2006, 06:59 PM
I dont really understand why anyone would feel forced to work at any particular workplace these days, chances are theres a better place out there and it probably pays better, everyone NEEDS workers you can get pretty much any wage you demand.

marko polo
12-31-2006, 08:16 PM
where do u work?

Slashin_
12-31-2006, 08:54 PM
depends of they have a shortage of workers in your field
if there is they cant realli fire u, or even make them aware that there a shortage of workers(newspaper,water cooler talk)

wtf do u do anyways?

they left my last job exactly same as you too, besides that a manager from diffrent department wanted to keep me, stupid gm is a retard, he demoted that same manager

i h8 company politics....

if theres another field your interested in nows the time to swap shop, everywhere is hiring, u sent online resume 4am sat, got a phone call at 9, and got an email at 10 am from another company.....these aren't local shop either there big mofo companys.......
and i didn't even graduate highschool:nut:
99 credits :thumbsup:

CaseoftheEX
12-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by marko polo
where do u work?

Shell - not the gas station lol, the tower downtown.

toyboy88
12-31-2006, 09:41 PM
if using the company as a reference is the future is all but lost then quit now, or just screw em over make a scene and quit or don't show :goflames:

DepTrotter
12-31-2006, 09:45 PM
dude you're a baby, everyone feels like they get treated like shit, and in this market they can't afford to treat you that way, so go somewhere else man, seriously, go work at wendy's and have it YOUR way

old&slow
12-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by CaseoftheEX
The big question is should I just quit? I have 4 days off until Im in next, it gives me some time to think it over about what would be best for me to do. Its over such a stupid minor little thing too. my god, its so pathetic...

But since the highest up boss doesnt like me (nor do i like her either). In fact we hate each other, but I at least dont show it - I'll still say hi and so on, whereas she will just give me the "talk to the hand b****." So its like whatever, if she wants to be that way and treat me like a piece of sh!t, then thats her problem. I figure why keep me here?

she doesnt trust me at all - even has instructed people to watch me for when shes not here. FOr pete sakes, why not just attach a spycam to me everytime I enter and leave the buiding - christ!

so basically, I will be fired because I left 10mins early yesterday, in which it was only 5 going by my watch. But apparently my watch was 5 mins ahead from the time here and I didnt know that. So woopdie doo - if they want to make a big fuss over this, then so be it. Here we have other people surf the net all day, are an hour late every shift, always calling in sick, dont even show, just sit here and do nothing but pick their nose and talk non stop with coworkers, take a smoke break every hour, and yet they never get in crap for it? Whatever...

One of the supervisors was in yesterday when I was here and noticed it and immediately emailed me asking why, and I noticed it was also forwarded to the high up boss as well. I knew right then and there, its over. I know them two by now, and this one supervisor is the others goodie tissue.

And just for the record, ive always left 5 mins early everyday - a lot of people do this and they dont have a problem with it (otherwise they would have brought it up by now). But yet I accidentally left 10mins early because my watch was 5 mins ahead and they are going to can me over that? Whatever...what a crock of sh!t, I dont even wanna be here anymore.

I can tell she has been aching to fire me for some time now, she's just been waiting for the littliest thing to come up so she has a reason. :rolleyes: They treat me like scum, and I dont need this bullsh!t in my life right now.

So what do you say? Quit now? Should I even bother telling her in person? I say just email her - since she treats me like a god damn piece of sh!t, why bother even going in or calling. Beep Beep Beep!

It's the middle of winter and just before the New Year.
You sound like your depressed and drinking...get a therapist!

nusneak
12-31-2006, 10:57 PM

Go in real early and piss in the coffee pot :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut: :nut:

AsianCaucasian
12-31-2006, 11:19 PM
Stay to get the severance package. You may have ground for constructive dismissal.

ianmcc
01-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Make up some BS story about a friend/family member being in a car accident. Hit on the she-wolf boss for some sympathy sex. Do your job really well for a while-come in early, stay late, but smile like you have something to hide and carry a camera with you. Bring in empty file folders, fill them at work with scrap paper and pretend you are sneaking them out on break times and after work. Ask a lot of questions about the company. Ask a lot of personal questions about everyone you work with. Have your friends call you at work every hour on the hour, but using someone else's extension. Tell them to use a fake accent. Come to work with a real visible (white) bandage every day but make it on a different area of your body. Have fun before you get sh*tcanned; most companies these days will not give a poor reference for fear of being sued.

Slashin_
01-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by ianmcc
most companies these days will not give a poor reference for fear of being sued.

EX: Mcd, FutureShop(commision whores only), wal-mart

Whitetiger
01-01-2007, 03:54 AM
Yea, I say hang in there until the company does something, and get the servenace (spelling, too lazy to check) package.

Super_Geo
01-01-2007, 02:55 PM
See if you can get on your boss' computer and send an email company wide but make it seem like she intended to send it to one of her friends and it accidentally slipped... something like:

"Hey Mike, isn't it crazy how many immigrants they're hiring these days? I can't believe they're trusting them with this shit when they would eat rats in their home country"

Oh, and stay late one day and put a shitload of post-it notes on other people's monitor pretending to be her and leave really demanding but completely meaningless jobs that need to be done by noon the next day... something like "I will be out of the office till noon, but I need you to print out the entire shallow gas drilling program for the Drumheller area and organize them by production numbers into 14 separate binders, to be on my desk by lunch."

Haha if you're not going to use this job as a reference the sky is the limit on how much fun you can have on your last days...

FiveFreshFish
01-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Surprising to hear that. I thought they'd be a good company to work for.

Xtrema
01-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Every large companies has politics. Compensation wise, if you're an employee (especially old timers), it's decent. But that doesn't guarantee no conflicts between workers.

EX, Which department are you in? Retail helpdesk? I don't know any department that requires punching in clocks.

If you are not happy, just leave. If it's a good position, fight for it and wait for the company to make the move. It's quite an effort to fire someone legally. Especially in this job market. If they lay you off for overstaff reason, they can't rehire for a while.

Do you have any performance contract sessions with your boss? It could be a good time to ask what you can do to help. So at least you are professionally competant.

And if you DO work for Shell and not one of outsourced partners, with the RDC takeover hanging over the head for the next 6 months, the future isn't guaranteed anyway.

CaseoftheEX
01-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Every large companies has politics. Compensation wise, if you're an employee (especially old timers), it's decent. But that doesn't guarantee no conflicts between workers.

EX, Which department are you in? Retail helpdesk? I don't know any department that requires punching in clocks.

If you are not happy, just leave. If it's a good position, fight for it and wait for the company to make the move. It's quite an effort to fire someone legally. Especially in this job market. If they lay you off for overstaff reason, they can't rehire for a while.

Do you have any performance contract sessions with your boss? It could be a good time to ask what you can do to help. So at least you are professionally competant.

And if you DO work for Shell and not one of outsourced partners, with the RDC takeover hanging over the head for the next 6 months, the future isn't guaranteed anyway.

First off, her and I wont ever speak to each other, I know that for a fact. Personally, I would rather speak to the devil than her.

Its a time filler position, 99% of the people there use this job to fill in until their next better job - explaining the high turnover rate. I would say on average most people stay for one term only.

They have fired people before, and hired soon after. Frankly the management there is too bloody stupid to even realize whats right and whats wrong.

There is no performance contract sessions, the contract is simple - 6 months with an hourly rate. No bonuses, nothing.

Like I said, the management at this place is absolute BS. A guy yesterday (and this happens often), saying how he slept through and didnt hear his alarm go off. Oh, look..hes only 4hrs late! That lady will find out from the weekend supervisor, but she wont care. Why? Two words, goodie tissues. And the list goes on and on, people who take smoke breaks every hour, 2 hour lunches, and so on.

If she wants to make such a big stink over something, why doesnt she focus on the more serious matters, therefore making it a much more positive company to work for.

Personally, I could give a rats ass about what anyone else does there. And if they want to fire me over this pitiful thing? Then go ahead, but i would appreciate if they at least woke up and would realize everything else going on. Because what I did, should be the least of thier worries. But i dont give a damn anymore, whatever...like I said, she doesnt respect me, she doesnt want me there...and I dont want to be a part of this hideously run workplace anymore.

Right now, I still havent come to a decision, but I want to leave sooooooooooobad. Just for the fact, that the environment is so damn depressing and stressful. There is a new crew starting this upcoming week, so im sure if I leave...that "you know what" would rather see me gone now and later. I'll even blow a balloon for her so she can celebrate.

FiveFreshFish
01-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Have you considered a move to a different department?

jumperman8
01-01-2007, 10:28 PM
What exactly do you do there?

It sounds like alot of paper pushing, or garbage removal?

dieselpower91
01-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Just for your information it's supposed to be goody-two shoes.. not goody-tissues. :rofl:

Either way good luck. I would say move on or stay and do as little work as possible until they let you go.

I wouldn't stay in a negative work atmosphere like that. I left my last job because the manager was bi-polar. (or so i think)
Much happier now!
Find a job where you are happy.:thumbsup:

PeterGTiR
01-02-2007, 12:00 AM
If you have access to a computer, just go in there, search for jobs while you're there and work on your resume.

Your supervisor doesn't want you there, and you don't want to be there. You could probably find a job the next day...

Poster above me is right about the "Goody Two Shoes"...hahah

natejj
01-02-2007, 12:06 AM
If you're sure you're going to get fired.....

shit on the coats.

smontyLS1
01-02-2007, 12:28 AM
I just quit my job, I haven't heard of my boss ever giving anyone a good reference, he was pissed off I came in 5 min late 3 mornings in a row even though I would make sure I never left if there was work to do, whether it meant staying 30-45 min late but he would never mention that. i quit and I feel great.

How much are/were they paying you?

Whitetiger
01-02-2007, 12:35 AM
Not sure if it was stated, but I'm just curious... are you and the supervisor (the bitch lazy) of the same race/ skin colour?

I'm asking just out of curiousity and sometimes you just can't help but to think the worst of people ya know.

:thumbsup: for the email pretending to be her and insulting immigrants so everyone will be against her...

Originally posted by Super_Geo
See if you can get on your boss' computer and send an email company wide but make it seem like she intended to send it to one of her friends and it accidentally slipped... something like:

"Hey Mike, isn't it crazy how many immigrants they're hiring these days? I can't believe they're trusting them with this shit when they would eat rats in their home country"

Oh, and stay late one day and put a shitload of post-it notes on other people's monitor pretending to be her and leave really demanding but completely meaningless jobs that need to be done by noon the next day... something like "I will be out of the office till noon, but I need you to print out the entire shallow gas drilling program for the Drumheller area and organize them by production numbers into 14 separate binders, to be on my desk by lunch."

Haha if you're not going to use this job as a reference the sky is the limit on how much fun you can have on your last days...

Chim
01-02-2007, 12:45 AM
Shell is a HUGE company, so your experience there definitely varies from department to department. I did an 8 month coop there and was pretty shocked to read this, I mean there were politics and tension at times but you'll get that with every company. Sounds like you got the worst of it

Like others have said, try transferring departments, I'm sure ol' Clive would want it that way :)

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

SiR_lyfe
01-02-2007, 08:26 AM
i work there too, but in the chemicals area.

yellowsnow
01-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by dieselpower91
Just for your information it's supposed to be goody-two shoes.. not goody-tissues. :rofl:

lol i was just gonna mention that :rofl:

omagedon
01-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Well, personally if its a big name company try to leave in good terms with them. Since, its guaranteed that if your position is mid to high level that companies will talk about you. If you leave in bad terms, basically you gotta leave town in order to find another job.

Kinda happened to a friend of mine pissed off his manager in the oil/gas area and boom couldn't find a similiar job at all.

45 cent
01-03-2007, 03:26 PM
i didn't read everyones comments cause i'm lazy but i think u can either

quit

ask to be transfered to a different depart

start lookin for a new job and quit when u find one

nonsane
01-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Call in, and say that a co-worker asked about you leaving early, then mention the watch thing, and apologize for the mistake.

Just in case figure out a way to cause a problem for that person before you leave.

JeremyD
01-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Remember there are official references and unofficial ones. The hiring manager might call his friend/former co-worker) that just happens to work in the same department as you did and will get the low down of what happened. This happens a lot in IT.

quikkoop
01-27-2007, 04:20 AM
Read the thread, wanting to know what the outcome was? I hope you fucked around as much as you could just to piss them off, I know thats what I would do.

tirebob
01-27-2007, 02:19 PM
I am really surprised (or maybe not so surprised) by how many people try and justify regularly showing up a few minutes late or leaving a few miniutes early...

Employees are paid to be available and ready to work from a certain time until a certain time. When they roll in a few minutes late, it turns out to be longer because just rolling in the door usually does not mean you are instantly ready to do your job.

If you find you are constantly working longer than your set time then take it up with management, but just taking it upon yourself to simply roll in at your convenience is wrong. If managment doesn't listen to your issues then it is up to you whether or not you want to stay, but if you agree to a job for a wage it is irresponsible to not honor your agreement.

I am not talking about the odd time when something occurs, but if it is a common thing than something is wrong with the employee, not the job.

Sharpie
01-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by CMSbob
I am really surprised (or maybe not so surprised) by how many people try and justify regularly showing up a few minutes late or leaving a few miniutes early...

Employees are paid to be available and ready to work from a certain time until a certain time. When they roll in a few minutes late, it turns out to be longer because just rolling in the door usually does not mean you are instantly ready to do your job.

If you find you are constantly working longer than your set time then take it up with management, but just taking it upon yourself to simply roll in at your convenience is wrong. If managment doesn't listen to your issues then it is up to you whether or not you want to stay, but if you agree to a job for a wage it is irresponsible to not honor your agreement.

I am not talking about the odd time when something occurs, but if it is a common thing than something is wrong with the employee, not the job.
Yeah but now adays it isn;t hard for someone just to quit one day and get another job the same day. That is why their is the lack of ambition to work..
I know at my last job I had to be there 15min early every shift which was gay because they would never let you leave 15 min early even though I never got paid for that 15 min I was there... Now I am not saying its alot of time, but if it is slow who cares if you leave 5-10 min early..

msommers
01-27-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm the type of person to be totally blunt with someone, and not put on an act and try to hide it when it seriously bothers me. As soon as something is up I just ask about it, it's usually nothing big, and we both carry on our way. It's an easy way to be open about things with both girls and guys at work if they feel they can talk to you. Just try not to make it a big deal.

However, you seem pretty bottled up. And frankly, it isn't healthy, because it's just getting you more and more pissed off thinking about it.

So if you like your job, the hours and the pay, this is what I would do. If you don't like your job, tell her you're rethinking your career path and this job isn't included. Easy and to the point.

To stay and problem solve:

1) Email her, and say you want to have a serious talk about your future in the company. It lets her know something is up and you're gonna talk about it, end of story. If not her because she will not see you, then the person right below her.

2) When your talking to her, don't just go right out and say ok this is pissing me off. Remember, this could be a reference for your next job, so don't blow the lid off! Tell her that you've been feeling really uncomfortable at work and the atmosphere..give a few examples why. Again, if you wanna stay, tell her you like it here and want to rectify the problem, because it's inhibiting you from performing your duties correctly.....sounds kinda gay really I know but it just might be true, it's concise and to the point.

3) From there, that conversation will let you know if you can work things out or it's in your best interest to leave.

I say give it a shot, no sense in just being pissed off at someone for the rest of your life, you really seem to hate this person!

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

tirebob
01-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie

Yeah but now adays it isn;t hard for someone just to quit one day and get another job the same day. That is why their is the lack of ambition to work..
I know at my last job I had to be there 15min early every shift which was gay because they would never let you leave 15 min early even though I never got paid for that 15 min I was there... Now I am not saying its alot of time, but if it is slow who cares if you leave 5-10 min early..

Absolutely there is a lack of ambition these days, but that doesn't make it right to act this way. Sure anybody can leave a job and get another one at a moments notice, and the fact that many people may decide to use this fact to be a lazy ass is definite proof that they are not worthy of being a valued employee.

When I have employees that need to book early or miday for a while to do something and it is dead, I usually have no issue and usually make things easy for them, but if they think they are "owed" something and that they can pick and chose when the want to come and go, that is a whole other thing. Have some respect for not only your employer but for yourself and do what's right. If you are not an abuser and you ask, more often than not it isn't an issue. If you are a dumbass on a regular basis then why am I gonna help you out?

This boom is not going to go on forever, but for now we as employers have to live with the fact that people are the way they are. In the end though, those that stick it out and prove themselves to be conciencious and quality employees are going to be set. Those that were just riding the wave with no regard to anyone but themselves are going to have issues...

Sad truth is that these days it is more commonly the employer that is being abused... Not the employee.

msommers
01-27-2007, 03:11 PM
^^Bob, very well put and I couldn't agree more. It's most noticeable in the construction/trades/manual labour jobs wheres someone gets paid 10 cents per hour more and quits that second but still white-collars are pulling this too. I don't understand it but to each his own.