PDA

View Full Version : getting wire threw firewall in a 96 taurus

ercchry
01-02-2007, 09:33 PM
im about to lose it i searched google for a good hour and i acually found a page on this and which hole to put the wire threw and then i spent a good hour trying this and the wire never makes it into my line of sight or touch

anyone by chance wire up one of these cars before?

im2fst4u
01-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Cant you just drill a new hole? I drill new holes whenever the rubber plugs are full or just not convenient. I always "Goop" the holes afterwards. Best place to start, look under the drivers side, around the gas pedal and then just drill there (move carpet back). Make sure to confirm that you are not going to hit anything. Pass your wires through, "Goop" it or silicone it and your off to the races!

:thumbsup:

ercchry
01-02-2007, 10:13 PM
yeah only problem with that is that its a really tight engine bay and the strut towers are right next to the engine and then the brake booster is blocking any other useable space

KustomKreationZ
01-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Find the main wiring harness going threw the firewall, get a LONG screwdriver and poke it threw into the inside and look for the screwdriver with a flashlight in the interior. Once you find it, tape the wire to the end of screwdriver and poke threw again. Done. Usually!!!

Vietsta
01-02-2007, 10:23 PM
i've been trying to findout for my self for a 96 civic.

ercchry
01-02-2007, 11:14 PM
yeah i got a clothes hanger and tryed and i still cant find it!! wow ford sucks i've spent so many hours installing this shit and i acually gave up and got the deck installed at a shop. 200 bucks for the dash kit!!

f150mikey060
01-03-2007, 12:11 AM
:eek: you got pwned....30-50 bucks for both dash kit and wrirng harness....crimp/solder-shrink it up and your good to go.

my 95 grand prix was a bitch to run my wire...i drilled a hole through the passengers side just abouve where your feet would be. then again, my wire is 2/0....also, dont just silicone it that will seal it yes but it wont protect the jacket from rubing on the metal and possible groundign itself.

ercchry
01-03-2007, 12:14 AM
umm the dash kit for this car is not your average dash kit it is a full replacement of the climate controls and everything and im pretty sure they fucked up the rear defrost

EDIT: o yeah i got it threw!!

who knew that the taurus had such a huge following? i found a forum dedicated to the same generation that i own and yeah they had it stickied so that was fun it was hidden behind the fuse box and was hidden behind the strut tower form the other way but now its all done

this is the first car i amped the speakers in and wow amazing so clean and so loud dont even think i need to put in the sub

Annoyingrob
01-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by f150mikey060
my 95 grand prix was a bitch to run my wire... then again, my wire is 2/0....
And I thought I was crazy for running 1/0ga.

Anyways, I just ran it through the same hole as the engine harness. Worked great.

rc2002
01-03-2007, 09:55 AM
If you're running really big wire, you can run it underneath the car too and then drill a hole underneath the car. The really big stuff usually screws up your grommets if you try to use your existing ones.

03ozwhip
01-03-2007, 10:57 AM
^^^ thats what i did in my Lancer. it worked great and you will NEVER know there is a system in there. i just covered the exposed wiring with slinky tubing.

f150mikey060
01-03-2007, 11:56 AM
i ran mine right through the cabin and no ones the wiser:D