PDA

View Full Version : Banning Skylines and Sylvias

japancar
01-03-2007, 03:48 AM
Has anyone heard about the BC gov't banning the registration (or offering no insurance) for JDM Skylines and Sylvias imported after Jan 1? A client who was visiting from Vancouver told me he heard that from an insurance adjuster.

Any truth to this rumour? I hope not!

Lo)2enz0
01-03-2007, 03:58 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=159070

thats all i have heard

more info

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=608003&page=1&pp=15

japancar
01-04-2007, 03:55 AM
Thanks!

rc2002
01-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I heard Ontario is thinking about the same thing.

crazydriver
01-06-2007, 01:58 AM
:thumbsdow lets hope Alberta doesn't copy

Oldskool
01-06-2007, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by crazydriver
:thumbsdow lets hope Alberta doesn't copy

My mom works in insurance, and she said one of her co-workers clients had a skyline, and the insurance company wouldnt insure it.

then my mom gave me the explanation that there was a skyline in one of the fast in the furious and it was all 'nitroused up and stuff' and thats why they arnt insuring them...:rolleyes: :rofl:

Palmiros
01-06-2007, 03:19 AM
I guess we won't be seeing any 350'z either?:)

hussein
01-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Palmiros
I guess we won't be seeing any 350'z either?:)

:rofl: True, true.

A790
01-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I heard Ontario is thinking about the same thing.

Yay. I'm so glad I moved here. :thumbsdow

gp36912
01-06-2007, 10:01 AM
well shit here goes all the cars that have have in movies like fnf. say buhbye to your s2000s, eclipses, etc. o and dont forget the shelby gt500. stupid insurance companies

Mibz
01-06-2007, 10:35 AM
*Prays that they don't start showcasing Neons in FnF*

Crymson
01-06-2007, 11:31 AM
I think you guys are taking this somewhat out of context.

My insurance company won't insure my rx-7. I was told that I can't make more than 20% hp over stock, or my coverage is void. A stock sklyine, is still insurable.

gp36912
01-06-2007, 11:31 AM
or bmws :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: or mercedes :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ahahah way to kill the car industry fnf

Originally posted by Crymson
I think you guys are taking this somewhat out of context.

My insurance company won't insure my rx-7. I was told that I can't make more than 20% hp over stock, or my coverage is void. A stock sklyine, is still insurable.

wait 20% hp.... so if you tune a 50 hp engine to 60 its void? whereas if you tune a ferrari from 600 - 700 its ok?

Crymson
01-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Yah, i think so.

I mean it's a completely unenforeable rule. Someone could retune a stock motors with some subtle mods and change the boost to get well over their threshold, and someone could modd the abosolute shit out of their car, and keep the fuel and boost low enough to be less that stock hp. How are they going to know how your ECU is programmed.

It was funny when on the phone the insurance guy was asking me what kind of intercooler and blow off favle I had.

Speed_Dreams
01-06-2007, 01:58 PM
as far as i know , in Alberta theres a law that says an insurance company cannot refuse to insure anyone for an automobile policy , the rates might be $10000 a year but they have to offer some sort of coverage.

brandon
01-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
rates might be $10000 a year

I wish my insurance policy was that low! lol

gp36912
01-06-2007, 07:27 PM
haha i had gotten off lucky then, 4gs for the car alone, and another 1500 for me so 5500 total :D

Teggy
01-07-2007, 03:17 PM
i heard it had something to do with toyota rallying against imported vehicles from japan. As far as i know if you already have a jdm vehicle like the skyline, or silvia already registered it shouldn't be a problem. As far as the the insurance company goes. My insurance broker had told me that it was against the law for them to refuse me coverage of any vehicle

Teggy
01-07-2007, 03:19 PM
p.s. my skyline, and silvia for coverage add up to 5,200 a year

gp36912
01-07-2007, 07:35 PM
^^^ have to factor age in too.

Masked Bandit
01-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
as far as i know , in Alberta theres a law that says an insurance company cannot refuse to insure anyone for an automobile policy , the rates might be $10000 a year but they have to offer some sort of coverage.

Exactly!

The only way an insurance company can refuse to cover any vehicle is if it is modified (there are a few other rules but we'll stick to that for the purpose of our discussion here). However, anything that is registerable can be insured with Nordic (Facility). There are no plans at this point to restrict specific vehicles.

japancar
01-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Regarding the manufacturers joining together to ban imports, what about the imports from the US. Surely they account for more than what is coming from Japan?

BerserkerCatSplat
01-11-2007, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by gp36912
o and dont forget the shelby gt500. stupid insurance companies

TBH, I don't see GT500's being banned anytime soon, haha! :D

Hash_man
01-11-2007, 03:31 AM
Yes i'm sure there are a lot of US cars coming in to the country, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that none of those cars are RHD, and most are probably fairly new cars.

Speed_69
01-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Exactly!

The only way an insurance company can refuse to cover any vehicle is if it is modified (there are a few other rules but we'll stick to that for the purpose of our discussion here). However, anything that is registerable can be insured with Nordic (Facility). There are no plans at this point to restrict specific vehicles.

I work in insurance and actually, as of January 1, 2007, new auto reforms have kicked in and nobody can be refused insurance from an insurance company if they wish. Rates can get alittle high though haha

Personally, i kind of support the idea of banning vehicles like the skyline and sylvia. From what i've seen, 75% of people who drive them think their car is a crazy drift machine, drive like idiots and think people are always trying to race them.

ninjak84
01-11-2007, 02:05 PM
It would be nice if insurance agents knew automotive basics....
The people in charge of insuring imported cars often have no idea what they're talking about. Of the 3 companies I solicited regarding insuring a JDM FD, none of them knew what the term "rotary motor" acknowledged. When they asked me if it was "turbo", I said "Well, no, it's actually twin-turbo entry". He says "Ok, so no turbo?"
:thumbsdow

How can they pull the plug on cars they don't know anything about?
I've said it before, these cars are from Japan. Not fucking Mars.

Originally posted by A790
Yay. I'm so glad I moved here. :thumbsdow

You should be fine driving a Probe :rofl:

tentacles
01-11-2007, 03:12 PM
75% of people who drive them think their car is a crazy drift machine, drive like idiots and think people are always trying to race them.

Yes, only if they drive Japanese cars, because no one would want to drive fast in a car not from Japan. Banning imported cars will totally eliminate THAT problem. :rolleyes:

BTW it's "Silvia".

:thumbsup:

Dave P
01-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Rumour is they will be banning them soon in Alberta

The problem isnt with the cars, its with the claims. People are bringing them over for say 2k, and selling them for 10k. Then there stolen or what ever and the insurance companies are upset about what they have to pay out.

Well something like that.

I work in the insurance industry

Lt247
01-11-2007, 03:40 PM
I agree alot of people who have cars like these have a mentality like that... but the same can go for any cheap RWD car... my friend has a 240 and is exactly what you describe... i have a 240, but i bought a 240 because i love the car..and its my daily driver... and my record is clean and i dont tryt o drift it or anything like that... I alsp personaly would love a skyline for a daily driver.. only mods i would do would be new tires and sound system sorta thing... i love the car for the way it looks and if it came in LHD i would get it in LHD over RHD...

I dunno seems kinda unfair to the people who own the cars because they like they as daily drivers/ something nice to have and are responsible with them, to ban them, just because some people are irresponsible with them.... although at the same time... i agree people are tools with cars that have power.... its not just RHD its also LHD.. power is power.. left or right hand drive

Originally posted by Speed_69

Personally, i kind of support the idea of banning vehicles like the skyline and sylvia. From what i've seen, 75% of people who drive them think their car is a crazy drift machine, drive like idiots and think people are always trying to race them.