PDA

View Full Version : writing skills in accounting

p177772005
01-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi, I am pursuing a degree in accounting and have plans to become a CA. I would like to know how important are the writing skills in this profession.

Thanks in advance.

joyridder
01-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Depends I think. Most of your work is done on computer unless the ledgers are prepared by yourself. I think as long as your numerical skills are good then you should have no issues. But coming from exp. it does matter because your clients should be able to review your prepared ledger with no difficulty.

Si_FlyGuy
01-03-2007, 08:20 PM
You would sound like an idiot if you can't write professionally.
Besides, most of your audit courses in university require case study and writing.

Makariri
01-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Writing skills in this profession are VERY important. Imagine charging a client $250 - $300/hr for your time, and then providing them with a report or a memo that looks like a 9th grade dropout wrote it? I'll bet that client will think twice before hiring you again.

Regardless of how smart you may be in reality, you'll have a difficult time convincing others of that, or putting your smarts to good use, if you can't communicate effectively.

Pursuing a career as a CA in public practice also involves much, much more than number skills. You're dealing with complex issues; if you can't communicate those issues, or effectively deal with the people you're working with, then you're sunk.

And just a heads up - your university courses are nothing like what the job actually entails.

Mckenzie
01-03-2007, 08:54 PM
The CASB professional program out West is all about communicating to users and different parties involved in the whole process. All evaluations are CASE exams and the UFE is a CASE...I would say writing skills are incredibly important.

Most important is writing in such a way that is not convoluted and that is straight to the point. Partners, clients and other coworkers will be reading your write ups on the working papers so that is something to consider.

GTS Jeff
01-04-2007, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by p177772005
Hi, I am pursuing a degree in accounting and have plans to become a CA. I would like to know how important are the writing skills in this profession.

Thanks in advance. Well, if you want people to take you seriously, you should at least have proper grammar. From your post, you're most of the way there, but you still need a bit of work.

p177772005
01-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Well, I guess I should start working hard on my writing. Thanks for the advice guys.

in*10*se
01-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
The CASB professional program out West is all about communicating to users and different parties involved in the whole process. All evaluations are CASE exams and the UFE is a CASE...I would say writing skills are incredibly important.

Most important is writing in such a way that is not convoluted and that is straight to the point. Partners, clients and other coworkers will be reading your write ups on the working papers so that is something to consider.

my .02
writing and communication is key for the accounting/CA industry.
Why? The CA profession is a SERVICE industry serving clients needs. Its great that you can crunch numbers and sit in a cubicle and add and subtract, but if you CANNOT explain the numbers to a client in easy to understandable language, you will not be successful in serving your clients. CA's are NOT just "number crunchers", "bean counters" or "just accountants". We deal have financial expertise but you must be able to have strategic thinking, give business advice and be able to lead.

(oh and what mckenzie said, u'll never pass the UFE if you can't write a case) :D

anyways, for your information.

there is no casb on the east coast. he's from mtl/qbc. There is a different prep program there. The SOA.

School of Accountancy (SOA)
The focal point of the ICAO Professional Program is the School of Accountancy (SOA), a three-week period of full-time study beginning in June. The School of Accountancy begins with several months of preparatory self-study readings and assignments.

The SOA Examination, written at the conclusion of the three-week, full-time segment of the School of Accountancy in July, 2007, consists of multi-competency, case-type questions. It ensures that Ontario CA students have attained an acceptable level of professional skill and core competency to be eligible to write the UFE.

Core-Knowledge Exam (CKE)
The CKE is a four-hour, computer-scored, multiple-choice examination. It is a non-disclosed examination (no solutions are published and the question papers are to be collected at the writing centres). Students will not be permitted to bring any reference sources to the CKE.

The CKE is comprised of approximately 100 multiple-choice questions (MCQs). The MCQs are arranged by competency area in the same order as the CA Candidates’ Competency Map (the Competency Map). The midpoint of the range of marks allocated to each competency area are as follows:

Performance Measurement 30%
Assurance 30%
Organization Effectiveness, Control and Risk Management 10%
Finance 10%
Taxation 10%
Information and Information Technology 10%

Marks are not deducted for wrong answers. Students are required to achieve a minimum level of performance on the CKE not more than three years prior to the commencement of the School of Accountancy (SOA) in order to proceed to the SOA and/or attempt the related SOA examination. Generally, it is expected that about seventy-five to eighty per cent of those who attempt the examination will meet or exceed this standard.:D

p177772005
01-04-2007, 01:00 PM
I do live in Montreal but I am not from Canada. Originally, I am from India but have moved to Montreal in 2005. In India, our education system is a bit different from here and we are not really taught to write properly.

I know, in Quebec, they have different system for UFE preparation. I am trying to learn to write well as I have to write reports for the university courses. But, it has not been very easy as I am learning French at the same time.

GTS Jeff
01-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by p177772005
I do live in Montreal but I am not from Canada. Originally, I am from India but have moved to Montreal in 2005. In India, our education system is a bit different from here and we are not really taught to write properly.

I know, in Quebec, they have different system for UFE preparation. I am trying to learn to write well as I have to write reports for the university courses. But, it has not been very easy as I am learning French at the same time. Your English is already pretty good for not being taught properly, but of course, there is room for improvement. Have you considered that Quebec isn't really the best place to learn English? My humble suggestions:

-move out of Quebec (don't know how feasible this is for you, so take this advice with a grain of salt)
-try to work with a tutor one on one
-take accent reduction classes. This is huge, trust me.
-adopt an English name for your career. It sounds bad, but employers, especially the more oldschool ones, are more likely to hire a 'Mike Ganesh' than a 'Gurprindeet Ganesh.'

in*10*se
01-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Your English is already pretty good for not being taught properly, but of course, there is room for improvement. Have you considered that Quebec isn't really the best place to learn English? My humble suggestions:

-move out of Quebec (don't know how feasible this is for you, so take this advice with a grain of salt)
-try to work with a tutor one on one
-take accent reduction classes. This is huge, trust me.
-adopt an English name for your career. It sounds bad, but employers, especially the more oldschool ones, are more likely to hire a 'Mike Ganesh' than a 'Gurprindeet Ganesh.'

^^ lol for the english name, i don't think i'd ever say it out loud, but i could see it for some jobs, but really... no one cares about the name at a CA firm.

and super crappy if you're learning english AND french as a 2nd language... that's super hard.... damn...

Makariri
01-16-2007, 06:23 PM
+1 for needing good writing skills for the UFE. I actually mark for the UFE, and believe me, those with poor writing skills really struggle!!