PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pilot A/S tires

girlRACER
05-22-2002, 12:11 PM
I heard Michelin has a new line of tires called "Pilot Sport A/S" I think and its made especially for sports cars for winter. Have you heard of them?

gee...it is so sad to talk about winter tires during May!

mischief
05-22-2002, 12:17 PM
Yeah there suspose to be pretty good. They are pretty expensive though. I think they were 350 a wheel for my E class.

Hey all, Blaskin and Lane has a sale on bridestone so-3 polepositions right now. they are 55% off the list price. they quoted me 318 installed per wheel for my E class. There is susposidly a 80 buck mail in rebate on top of that.

rage2
05-22-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
I heard Michelin has a new line of tires called "Pilot Sport A/S" I think and its made especially for sports cars for winter. Have you heard of them?

I've used Bridgestone Blizzaks, Pirelli Winter 210, and Michelin Alpins. The Blizzaks had the best traction in the snow/ice, the Pirelli's were mediocre all around, the Alpins sit between the Blizzaks and Pirelli's.

On days when there's no snow, the Alpins performed the best in dry weather, followed by the Pirelli's, then worse was the blizzaks. The Blizzak's also wear out really quickly when there's no snow. Only the first 30% of the tread is winter tire on the blizzak's, so once that wears out, it performs like crap in the snow/ice.

You could probably get away with using Michelin Alpins as a year round tire, if you don't go racing, or go past 200km/h =).

mischief
05-22-2002, 12:45 PM
No man, michelin now has an all season version of the pilot sports called the pilot sport a/s.

kenny
05-22-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER

gee...it is so sad to talk about winter tires during May!

I would never get all season tires. It is MUCH better to have a set of tires strictly for snow/ice (especially in Calgary), and another set for the summer so you don't wear away the winter tires when theres no snow on the ground.

GTS Jeff
05-22-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by rage2
You could probably get away with using Michelin Alpins as a year round tire, if you don't go racing, or go past 200km/h =). I wouldn't recommend that. I did made my Alpins live through a summer and by the end of summer they were as bald as race slicks. They would screech at every turn going the same speed as everyone else. Good for drifting though...:cool: :rolleyes:

rage2
05-22-2002, 02:38 PM
I ran my Alpins 2 summers ago on the 944. It was fine.

4wheeldrift
05-22-2002, 05:49 PM
The SLK 320's came with all seasons. They'll do fine in this weather, but not for blizzards like our early May storm =).

My Toyo T1-S summers could barely get on the icy driveway.

I had similar problems with my Kumho Ecsta 712s. The do ok in slush and even snow as long as there isn't ice underneath.

If you can find them in your size, look into Nokian snow tires. They're the drug of choice for most of the local rally guys (I have a set of studded Hakka 1 snow tires and love them, the also make a dedicated ice tire called the Hakka Q, or the all season NRW).

GTS Jeff
05-22-2002, 06:02 PM
I ran my Alpins 2 summers ago on the 944. It was fine. How did you manage to NOT bald them out?

kenny
05-22-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
How did you manage to NOT bald them out?

The CV joints kept breaking so the car was at the mechanics. Can't really wear out winter tires when the car is parked. :rofl: :rofl:

Clem
05-23-2002, 06:43 PM
The Pilot A/S is actually a VERY highly rated all season preformance tire. European Car magazine had a good article on them

redline
05-23-2002, 08:12 PM
I had really good luck with Toyo garritts