PDA

View Full Version : Good place to get a nice paintjob?

soobad
01-04-2007, 02:53 AM
This is my car before I put it away back at the start of October...

http://www.likeadrug.com/andrewsfd.jpg

I have a frigging huge ding by the brake vent on front of the driver's side door because of some toolbox who decided to bash my car while it was parked in the 15 minute parking right on front of the main Mcleode facing doors to Chinook.

I have minor paint chips all over the place, and the paint is quite faded on the wing mirrors (it's originally a California car).

That's first on my list to get taken care of right away here so that I can actually enjoy driving it when all the crap finally gets swept off the roads.

I also need:

-New tires / rims
-New front lights (ones below headlights)
-New rear diffuser (cracked it on a shitty huge speed bump :( )
-Whole front fender fixed, once again, whoever bashed my car in the parking lot also vented on the front bit, stepped on the corner of it and put a fairly minor crack in the upper corner where the headlight connects, starting to sag ever so noticeably on the driver side of the car.
-Oil leak fixed (I suspect I need new silicon tubes)

If anyone has any suggestions or comments at all, any info is appreciated. I'm planning on doing mostly everything myself, but I'd prefer to have it professionally done if I could find someone very reputable.

max_boost
01-04-2007, 02:57 AM
A lot of extremely positive experiences with Screaming Paintworks. Do a search on this topic.

max_boost
01-04-2007, 02:58 AM
Oh yah, nice car. :bigpimp:

Redlyne_mr2
01-04-2007, 02:58 AM
Screamin Paintworks 291-3171

soobad
01-04-2007, 03:20 AM
Did a search and looks like I know where I'll be going to get a paint job when I can get the cash rounded up. Thanks for the feedback guys, any suggestions about the other things on the list?

trieu
01-04-2007, 05:03 AM
nice car man! :hitit:

and what color are you planning on painting it? :bigpimp:

harv91
01-04-2007, 05:10 AM
sexy ride dudedrool:
whatever you decide to do.
Make sure the person is reputable. Even if it hurts the wallet make SURE no damage is done to that car :hitit:

Toms-SC
01-04-2007, 08:52 AM
search

Crymson
01-04-2007, 09:19 AM
I think what youre referring to as the "diffuser" is actually a component of the rear bumper. I've never seen one for sale seperately. Most of the aftermarket diffusers look like crap too.

The oil leak will be more troublesome to find and fix that you'd think. FD's leak oil easily and from many possible points. I'd check your oil pan first (can be fix w/out removing the engine, but not easily, as i beleive there are motor mounts bolted through the oil pan). After that, mabey the OMP. My first guess would have been the oil lines to the turbo, but i'd hope that when you installed the t-60, you would have made sure that isn't the case.

Let me know what you find out, because i need the same "cosmetic respray" to cover up a buch of annoying scratches, door dings, faded clearcoat and paint chips. No body work though.

Check rx-7 club, there is always a fender or two for sale.

soobad
01-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by trieu
nice car man! :hitit:

and what color are you planning on painting it? :bigpimp:

Realistically, I'll probably get it done red properly. I'm very tempted to go black or something really original like gunmetal grey, but that would probably cost a bunch more, and it'd be weird with the tan interior (which I guess I plan on changing eventually anyways).

Originally posted by harv91
sexy ride dudedrool:
whatever you decide to do.
Make sure the person is reputable. Even if it hurts the wallet make SURE no damage is done to that car :hitit:

Oh believe me I will. It's my baby :bigpimp:

Crymson [/i]
[B]I think what youre referring to as the "diffuser" is actually a component of the rear bumper. I've never seen one for sale seperately. Most of the aftermarket diffusers look like crap too.

It's just the little plastic bit under the rear bumper. It's got a little, but noticable crack in the middle of it, so I need one regardless.

I also have these lights to install:

http://www.soobad.com/fdlights.jpg

I'm pretty sure the oil leak is a fairly recent thing from my abuse of the car last summer.. ;) I know it'll be a pain but before I put her in the garage I took her up to about 190 mph (305 kph) outside the city limits and their was some smoke from the burning oil and quite a bit of it in the engine bay afterwards which isn't cool, I'm pretty sure it's just a burned tube or a clamp not quite on properly .. well I hope.

Weapon_R
01-04-2007, 02:26 PM
You'll ruin your resale value by going a different color. For the most part, check with Screamin' paintworks to see if they can repair the crack in the bumper and the dents before replacing them.

As for the oil leak, no clue. Not many people like to work on those cars.

Crymson
01-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by soobad
[B]

I also have these lights to install:

http://www.soobad.com/fdlights.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................................................

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Stick with red, it looks awesome... as for the lights... to each and their own? :dunno:

190mph will usually get you flamed in here, as alot of people are all high and mighty about how speeding is back and such... normally I wouldn't care either, but I mean, 190MILES PER HOURS?!?!! Whoa....

Screaming does great work... I'm hoping to eventually talk to them about my car as well once I have some spare change I can afford to blow. :bigpimp:

TEAMFaint
01-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Please dont put those lights on that gorgeous piece of machinery...

Get a solid repaint of the original color with around 4 layers of clearcoat and she'll look BRAND new.

Once again..please stick with the stock tail-lights..please..

Dj Dhaliwal
01-04-2007, 05:04 PM
yeah dont put those aftermarket ones on..
its gonna be too common
i have seen similar ones on civics..
cept for the center part
but yeah seriously
my opinion dont do the lights

but then again its your car and you know what u want so
your choice

soobad
01-04-2007, 05:23 PM
IMO the lights are totally unique and it's a totally different thing to have them on an FD than it is to have them on the Civic...

Having said that I have no interest in 'ricing' out the car, the 30+ mods so far have all been engine / suspension / brakes ... performance related. The idea it to make it look like a showcar / brand new car eventually, and I figured I'd try the halo LED lights since IMO they're way more sexy than the stock ones and give it a sort of '355' taillight type look. I wasn't really planning on using the centerpiece as I think it looks corny.

Anyways, if I try them out and it's not incredibly sexy (and I am a person who is generally against any exterior mods... I think they had it mostly perfect the first time) then I probably will leave it stock.

I appreciate the feedback guys and I will post some threads with updates on the paint job ect in a few months w/ pricing and before and after's. I'll probably also get it dyno tested at some point this summer.. I ran it last summer all summer limited to a mere 10 psi boost - which I believe is still almost 400 rwhp. BUT, it's perfectly happy around 20psi I just need a professional to help me tune it properly which I may look into when it starts warming up. Depends if I can still afford the tires hehe :bigpimp: If anyone has any comments / suggestions please go ahead.

What I'm really eventually looking for is someone willing to spend some time with me working on the car, as I'd love to learn how but don't really have the background or knowledge to start working on it myself. Just not one of my specialities.

Crymson
01-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Look, an FD turns heads anyway, you don't need a shiney silvery lined tail light, when it matches NOTHING on the car.

You've got enought go fast bits in there, to make anyone jealous, but thos taillights will give everyone a reason to say "he's got a great car, but....."

For the most import guys, an FD is impressive enough, to impress other rx-7 owners, get a legit set of a '99 spec tails, that's all you need.

http://www.fdnewbie.com/product3pic.php?n=12

some ultra rare oem Japan only side skirts

http://www.fdnewbie.com/product2pic.php?n=10

and a carbon fiber mazdaspeed front lip

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-RX7-RX-7-FD3S-CARBON-FRONT-LIP-SPOILER-BODY-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36475QQhashZitem140070103998QQihZ004QQitemZ140070103998QQrdZ1

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-04-2007, 06:57 PM
last 3 links dont work :thumbsdow

soobad
01-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Crymson
Look, an FD turns heads anyway, you don't need a shiney silvery lined tail light, when it matches NOTHING on the car.

You've got enought go fast bits in there, to make anyone jealous, but thos taillights will give everyone a reason to say "he's got a great car, but....."

For the most import guys, an FD is impressive enough, to impress other rx-7 owners, get a legit set of a '99 spec tails, that's all you need.

http://www.fdnewbie.com/product3pic.php?n=12

some ultra rare oem Japan only side skirts

http://www.fdnewbie.com/product2pic.php?n=10

and a carbon fiber mazdaspeed front lip

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-RX7-RX-7-FD3S-CARBON-FRONT-LIP-SPOILER-BODY-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36475QQhashZitem140070103998QQihZ004QQitemZ140070103998QQrdZ1

Appreciate the feedback, but I definitely differ in opinion. The problem is that everyone and their dog with an FD has 99' spec lights if they do mod the lights, rare? Heh. The ones I have are actually custom made they're from Australia of all places. Anyways, I'll probably end up staying stock.

Don't like the unnecessary skirt or lip personally. And the front of my car is after market as well to accommodate the inter cooler, so the lip wouldn't work.

Anyways, we'll see how she looks painted nice and take it from there :D

EK 2.0
01-06-2007, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
A lot of extremely positive experiences with Screaming Paintworks. Do a search on this topic.

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Screamin Paintworks 291-3171

Originally posted by Weapon_R
check with Screamin' paintworks

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Screaming does great work...

Proboscis
01-06-2007, 06:55 AM