PDA

View Full Version : Toyota creating alcohol detection system

R!zz0
01-04-2007, 05:13 AM
Good job Toyota :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070103/ap_on_hi_te/japan_toyota_drunken_driving

liquidboi69
01-04-2007, 05:14 AM
You can get passed the steering wheel detection by wearing gloves, and wearing shades for the eyes.

You can say it's sunny and cold...which it very well could even if you're not drunk, so they can't make it mandatory for you to not wear shades/gloves.

Not thought out enough by their engineers!

AzN'SKillZ
01-04-2007, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
You can get passed the steering wheel detection by wearing gloves, and wearing shades for the eyes.

You can say it's sunny and cold...which it very well could even if you're not drunk, so they can't make it mandatory for you to not wear shades/gloves.

its a step toward the right direction!

PSJanis
01-04-2007, 06:25 AM
in most cases the sunny thing might not work...for example, if its when more people drink...at night! gloves will work for about 1/2 the year at most, so u gotta be careful. hehe

djayz
01-04-2007, 06:33 AM
it says fail-safe in the article but as mentioned above there are some conditions that could cause it to malfunction or fail to function at all.

Xtrema
01-04-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by liquidboi69

Nothing is fool-proof. But if you're too drunk to drive, you're probably too drunk to make these pre-cautions anyway.

treg50
01-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Hopefully only the drunk person dies when they get into a crash.

Toyota could have used light sensing technology or an internal clock to determine night and day --- pretty basic stuff.

And, HELLO!, what about a breathalyzer! This is a concept that's been known of for a decade now at least. Simply make a breathalyzer as part of the start up process for the car. Yeah it may be cumbersome and may waste 90 seconds out of the persons day, but it's better than death I say.

boi-alien
01-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by treg50
Hopefully only the drunk person dies when they get into a crash.

Toyota could have used light sensing technology or an internal clock to determine night and day --- pretty basic stuff.

And, HELLO!, what about a breathalyzer! This is a concept that's been known of for a decade now at least. Simply make a breathalyzer as part of the start up process for the car. Yeah it may be cumbersome and may waste 90 seconds out of the persons day, but it's better than death I say.

easiest way to get around the breathalyzer get someone else to blow into it to start the car. simple.

Arthur Dent
01-04-2007, 11:43 AM
what happened to personal accountability? This device will only annoy not stop people driving drunk

2002civic
01-04-2007, 11:53 AM
well the problem is usually the driver is the one that survives as your more relaxed when your drunk and dont tense up, and with breathalyers you can get someone else to blow, but if they are sober and your drunk and they blow to let you drive there a f'in idiot and deserve whatever happens, and if the person gets charged/arrested whoever blew should face the same crime if its proveable(DNA or whatever)

Darkane
01-04-2007, 11:55 AM
this sounds great. Driving one or two of your drunk buddies home and all of a sudden its a game to them to make your car stop by pawing the wheel. Stupid Idea.

max_boost
01-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Arthur Dent
what happened to personal accountability? This device will only annoy not stop people driving drunk :werd: Death penalty imposed for those who drink and drive and cause an accident.

A for effort for Toyota. Good publicity and good for their image :D

CivicTunr
01-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
this sounds great. Driving one or two of your drunk buddies home and all of a sudden its a game to them to make your car stop by pawing the wheel. Stupid Idea.

:rofl:

Whitetiger
01-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
:werd: Death penalty imposed for those who drink and drive and cause an accident.

A for effort for Toyota. Good publicity and good for their image :D :thumbsdow Down with drunk drivers

andyg16
01-04-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by treg50

haha one of my friends had to get the breathalyzer installed in his car after he got in an accident when he was drunk...now everytime he wants to start the car he has to blow into the breathalyzer

TeamBestBud
01-04-2007, 01:07 PM
^ Same guy takes a sober person with him, whenever he goes out, to blow into the breathalyzer for him....but after realizing he cant even keep his head up he lets the sober one drive:thumbsup: :nut:

R!zz0
01-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by andyg16

haha one of my friends had to get the breathalyzer installed in his car after he got in an accident when he was drunk.

It's people like your friends who takes lives of innocent people. :guns:

ercchry
01-04-2007, 01:49 PM
"The system could also kick in if the sensors detect abnormal steering"

well there goes all the fun of driving

and also everyone knows drunks drive big old beat up pickups

topmade
01-04-2007, 01:57 PM
There will always be workarounds. The solutions are merely deterents that hopefully will be enough for a drunk person to realize they shouldn't be driving. Too bad they haven't found something that detects stupid drivers.

But :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for toyota for taking the first step. The end of 2009 is still a long way to go, so they still have a very long time to improve it.

Loud-N-Clear
01-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by andyg16

haha one of my friends had to get the breathalyzer installed in his car after he got in an accident when he was drunk...now everytime he wants to start the car he has to blow into the breathalyzer
One of my friends moms is an alcoholic and she has one in her BMW. Shes sober now, but years ago when she was drinking she would get her kids to blow into it so that she could drive drunk.

Speed_69
01-05-2007, 12:49 PM
my boss told me about a country(forget which one?) where if the cops pull you over and you're over the limit, you're shot to death. They kill you before you kill anyone. I like that idea, that way everyone would think twice before getting behind the wheel drunk. Canada is way too lenient on criminal convictions

smontyLS1
01-05-2007, 12:58 PM
thats a little extreme, but nevertheless its a good point. I dont know why anyone with a drinking and driving habit would go buy one of these toyotas. If I had a teenage kid this is what they would drive though, without a doubt.

LuxCars
01-05-2007, 01:20 PM
go toyota!!!
sounds like a great idea.

Torrent
01-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Nothing is fool-proof. But if you're too drunk to drive, you're probably too drunk to make these pre-cautions anyway.

His point was also that if it was cold or sunny out you wouldn't be able to drive youre car. Not soo much that someone drunk would try and take that precautions of wearing gloves or sunglasses.

nonsane
01-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I've heard of parents getting their kids or spouse to do it.

Also i would not buy a car with a breathalyser because it is a nuisance!

I can guarantee there is ways around this system. But just because there is ways around it does that mean it should never be implemented? At least it's a step in the right direction.

Originally posted by 2002civic
well the problem is usually the driver is the one that survives as your more relaxed when your drunk and dont tense up, and with breathalyers you can get someone else to blow, but if they are sober and your drunk and they blow to let you drive there a f'in idiot and deserve whatever happens, and if the person gets charged/arrested whoever blew should face the same crime if its proveable(DNA or whatever)

scat19
01-07-2007, 02:55 PM
abnormal steering inputs?

so when you have fun it will turn your car off? wtf

DannyO
01-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Good one Toyota, this is a step in the right direction, but hopefully they come up with better ways, the breathalizer one I would not want, it would be a pain in the ass, and the steering method is a bad idea, what if its icey and you are kinda all over the place, or its a bad road with potholes, or something that would require alot of weird movement of the steering wheel, so what?, the car will shut down on you, that would piss me right off, plus if you were drunk, whats to stop you from just restarting the car?, how long would the car stay immobilized?

as for the steering wheel idea, I like this idea, but like said what about gloves or one of those steering wheel covers for when its cold in the winter?, yea they could have a heated wheel, but some people would still want a cover or gloves.

The eye detector idea is the best I think, it would most likely be in the rear view mirror, and they could easily tell what time of day it is and how high the sun is if its even up still, and if you get in with sunglasses or if you want to wear the sunglasses at night, they could just have it not start till you look into the rear view without your glasses on, I'd have no problem with this, much better than a breathalizer.

Last thing, say you did have a breathalizer that was fully built into the car, can you imagine trying to sell it after afew years, who would want a car with that in it, thats had some guys lips around it 3000 times.

D'z Nutz
01-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Could you imagine how funny it must've been while they were developing/testing this? For some reason I imagine a bunch of japanese engineers and scientists passed out or stumbling in a laboratory somewhere...

"Okay, okay, okay... YOU try and start the car now... BWAHAHA!" *pukes then falls over*

carter_prelude
01-07-2007, 06:50 PM
^ :rofl:

good idea but needs some more work :thumbsup:
but if people who drive drunk know about this...why would they buy the car?

Cruz
01-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by topmade
There will always be workarounds. The solutions are merely deterents that hopefully will be enough for a drunk person to realize they shouldn't be driving. Too bad they haven't found something that detects stupid drivers.

Agree with this comment. I think the point is to deter them from driving not prevent it. Lots of people drink and drive with the intention to do so, but I'm sure there are others out there who will get into the car, realize that they shouldn't be driving and just take a cab. If it saves just one life, it's worth it.