PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question - Suspended Alberta Licence

Weapon_R
01-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Just wondering, say someone's licence was suspended due to excessive tickets...can he go to another province and get a licence there?

USED1
01-04-2007, 12:50 PM
No, when you go to another province to get a licence one of the questions that is asked on the application is "Has your licence been suspended in another province?"

Whitetiger
01-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by USED1
No, when you go to another province to get a licence one of the questions that is asked on the application is "Has your licence been suspended in another province?" :rofl: The government thinks of everything.

Weapon_R
01-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by USED1
No, when you go to another province to get a licence one of the questions that is asked on the application is "Has your licence been suspended in another province?"

Ok, let's say instead that the licence was expired, not suspended. Do they also check for this?

blueripper6
01-04-2007, 01:57 PM
well if your license is expired then you can go get one in your own province right?

unless your license ACTUALLY is suspended.. then shit..

Call pointts, LOL.

cloud7
01-04-2007, 02:13 PM
well, if it's only your first suspension, then isn't it only for 30 days only? if so , I wouldn't bother going thru all the trouble if I were you.... if you have to drive, then you're gonna drive regardless if you have a license or not.

Weapon_R
01-04-2007, 02:15 PM
But heres the scenario. You owe 5k in tickets, and your Alberta license is expired. Couldn't you go to Saskatchewan, apply for a drivers with a local address, and use that instead?

Sharpie
01-04-2007, 02:21 PM
If you need some help I may be able to help you. My uncle has a peice of land in Sask that I am pretty sure you could use that address.

DayGlow
01-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
But heres the scenario. You owe 5k in tickets, and your Alberta license is expired. Couldn't you go to Saskatchewan, apply for a drivers with a local address, and use that instead?

I don't think so. The Sask registry will contact the home province you are from to confirm you have a license, and bingo bango, you will come back as suspended.

Speed_69
01-04-2007, 03:07 PM
is this really your situation or are you just wondering? :dunno:

Weapon_R
01-04-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm just wondering

tictactoe2004
01-04-2007, 03:47 PM
This is going back about 5 years so I don't know if things have changed much since then, but this guy had his licence suspended in alberta and drove to sask, went to his friends uncles place and got a licence, insurance and registration there...

He drove around with a sask licence for about a year then switched back..

I wasnt really friends with him, it was just a friend of a friend and I don't really see this guy at all any more.. but I can ask my buddy if he remembers any more of the details...

I just can't remember if it was because he couldnt get insurance here, or if he got a DUI or lost his licence because of tickets...

edit: one thing I do know is if you get the licence you need to get the insurance and registration as well in order for it to work.. you have to have a sask address as well.

spike98
01-04-2007, 03:53 PM
I am sure it is the same as being a resident of alberta and obtaining sask insurance. You may get away with it but it isn't legal.

I am sure is consitutes as fraud somehow. It would be like, but not as extreme as, using a different SIN and name to obtain a license.

I know, however, you can own a canadian license and an american license if you are a dual citizen. Both licenses would be legal in either country. So if you lose one the other would still be valid.

skidmark
01-05-2007, 09:51 PM
You are in big trouble if something happens. I know that if you are not properly licenced in BC, ICBC can deny coverage in the event that you are involved in a collision. I would imagine it works much the same way elsewhere.

Imagine spending the rest of your life being pursued by debt collectors if the settlement is a large one.

Masked Bandit
01-06-2007, 08:07 PM

Nah...that won't fly anymore. Back in the day guys that drove for a living (say...trucker), would move to another province if they ended up with something like an impaired. If your license is suspended for overdue fines I'm pretty sure you can't get a license in any other province.

This is also enforced for people who have had their license suspended for maintenance enforcement.

Supa Dexta
01-07-2007, 10:51 AM
As far as I know this only works for parking tickets.. umm friend of a friend type of deal..ha. Say you had a whack of tickets, you go apply for a new one in a new province, and they dissapear. But they aren't "fines" directly given to your name by an officer, so I imagine its a different story for speeding..etc..

And like masked bandit said, the good old days I remember hearing the stories of getting a new one that easy, but back then it was a paper trail, and they couldn't keep up with your moves, whereas now its all on the screen in front of them, its quite easy to bring up your name and history/ current status....

bbcustoms
01-07-2007, 11:38 AM
The answer is yes you can and yes it is legal

There is a lot of misinformed info on this post

I dont know how sask works but my roomate just went through this getting a BC license

In BC they could look into his entire record and see that his AB license was currently suspended for fines which apparently doesnt matter if you want a license there

The only way you cant is if its suspended for DUI or something serious like that

If its only fines each province is responsible for collecting their own and supensions for fines only apply province to province

DayGlow
01-08-2007, 05:52 AM
until you get pulled over and your license gets checked against the computer, which is a Canada wide database.

At which point you will show as suspended, get a court summons and your car seized for 30 days.

It's a lot to gamble really.

[edit] just for clarification, your DL will not be suspended for the unpaid fines, you only won't be able to register your car or get your DL renewed. It will be suspended from the demerit points on the tickets though in most cases unless you get 5K worth of equipment violations and not moving violations.

Cruz
01-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow
[edit] just for clarification, your DL will not be suspended for the unpaid fines...

Not sure if this still applies but several years ago, your license could be suspended for having 5 unpaid fines consecutively. I speak from experience.

DayGlow
01-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I don't think so anymore. Stopped a guy a few weeks back and a check showed he had over 50 tickets in the last 2 years, most going to the fine collection program, so he was still able to drive even though he had a ton of tickets.

But he will have to pay them off when he want's to renew his DL in a few months.

As for registering in another province to get around this, if it can be proven your primary residence is within Alberta there are other charges under the TSA to cover that. If I found out someone had 5K worth of tickets and was avoiding paying the fine I would write them a summons that required an automatic court appearance (an option on any ticket if I feel it is needed). They can then explain to the judge what is going on.

HillBilly
01-08-2007, 10:57 AM
It should work, but the insurance is the tricky part. I don't think Alberta will let you insure a vehicle with a SK licence. You could insure your vehicle in SK (for cheap!) but, you would need a provicial inspection. I just checked and you car would cost $119.16 / month for full coverage.

If you did get in an accident, you might be fucked. If SGI can prove your vehicle has not spent the majority of time in SK, they will not cover you.

Weapon_R
01-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Wow, completely different opinions here.

Here's the story. Guy got a lot of tickets, had his license suspended for these excess tickets for 30 days, perhaps due to demerits.

Now, the license is expired. It's no longer suspended, simply expired. His strategy is to drive to Sask or BC, establish a residence there, and then get a license from there. Insurance would be under someone else's name (his mom or dad etc).

What i'm trying to see is whether this is possible, which would prove a flaw in the system, or whether he can actually get away with it.

Weapon_R
01-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Dayglow, are there any better options for this guy? Can he set up a payment plan with the government to pay around $100/month towards his tickets and be able to renew/maintain his registry privileges?

Supa Dexta
01-08-2007, 11:35 AM
I say fuck him!.. ha..

I mean if hes the guy to hit one of us, while hes on this scheme, and ends up with no insurance or valid lisence, that ain't cool... he earned those tickets, he lives with them..

:dunno:

xDiMSuMx
01-08-2007, 11:37 AM
for people getting a licence in alberta, we check your record across canada
if there are fines or suspensions, they have to be cleared up before issuing an alberta licence
although the licence is expired, it will still show up as suspended

this is for alberta, not sure how bc works

DayGlow
01-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Dayglow, are there any better options for this guy? Can he set up a payment plan with the government to pay around $100/month towards his tickets and be able to renew/maintain his registry privileges?

No idea, I imagine there would be some payment plan options. He would have to speak to the registrar and or traffic court to find out.

Also FYI, a suspended license stays suspended until the person gets a new valid license. You have to get your license reinstated to have the suspension status removed.

I've stopped a few people that had an impaired years ago, long past the 1 year suspension, but since they never took any action to reinstate their license, it is still concidered suspended.

And if it is listed as suspended, not just expired, then it is concidered suspended Canada wide/ North America really and wouldn't be able to get a new DL in any other province, unless they screwed up the checks somehow.

eb0i
01-08-2007, 12:08 PM
A friend of mine had lots of tickets as well. I don't think he ever got his license suspended but he did manage to set up a payment plan through a local registry to pay off all his tickets.

Quatrepeau
11-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Here's another question.. Someone has a PERMIT not a full license.. gets suspended in NB for unpaid fines (you cannot get suspended in the graduated program or else you have to start all over again), and then drives.. gets charged for driving while suspended. There is now a suspension term where this person can not obtain a license until a specific date after his fines are paid. Lets say its January 2015 so a year from now. Can this person move to another province, get their residence (proof of address and employment) and then walk into their motor vehicle branch and apply for a driver's permit and just pretend they've never had a license before. All these questions are pertaining to having a suspended license and then trying to switch it over. Im talking walk in there like you're a brand new driver. Hand them your new province ID which is totally separate from your NB ID. Because I'm pretty sure the NB drivers license number is how say.. Alberta.. would know you are suspended but if you get a new drivers permit.. the number is different, therefore there would be no way to tell??? Anyone help?

schurchill39
11-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Nope, they can pull information from other provinces to find out where you've had licenses. I just went through it all when switching from sask to ab.

01RedDX
11-26-2013, 12:20 AM

Mibz
11-26-2013, 12:23 AM
I miss DayGlow.

JRSC00LUDE
11-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
I miss DayGlow.

Thankfully Phil hasn't been driven away. Yet......