PDA

View Full Version : Tom Motor Sport Coils

Barlow
05-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Neone had expieriance with these???? I hear they not bad, and they are somewhat on the cheaper side and i was told by buddy at speed tech that if i was driving the street not racing dragging etc... they would be bettter then if i went expensive with skunk or ground control, neone have ne thoughts on this?

Illusionsir
05-17-2003, 04:14 PM
their great coils, i have them in my civic and i havent had one problem yet.

redx2nv
05-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Illusionsir
their great coils, i have them in my civic and i havent had one problem yet.

Are you serious, i had a set of these because my distributor said they were ground controls and they arrived as tom motorsports garbage. That day they went right back..

My friend ended up getting a set of them in his car and the car bottoms out everywhere, the springs are so goddam bouncy and shitty ass ride.

Save up some cash and buy some half decent coils, Ground Control, tien, zeal, apexi, skunk2 etc...

Gondi Stylez
05-17-2003, 11:27 PM
pimp coils

redx2nv
05-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
pimp coils

You cant be serious:dunno:

Gondi Stylez
05-18-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by redx2nv

You cant be serious:dunno:

i have no problmes... and either do my buddys

Rsxstacy
05-18-2003, 03:41 AM
For your driving barlow I wouldnt worry about getting really expensive coils. Your not that aggressive of driver and if you dont dump the car they will suit your needs. I personally have Ground Controls yet to be installed but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. If I had the money for Tien I would buy them but my wallet on came out to ground controls. If IllusionSir says there good I would trust his judgement! You should know who he is barlow!

redx2nv
05-18-2003, 08:35 PM
hah whatever floats your boat man:thumbsup:

Barlow
05-18-2003, 10:45 PM
scott you retarded i know who he is and yeah, I heard shit bout so many diff coils good and bad bout all, so yeah i dunno like rsx stacy said I'll see what my wallet lest me do..

Barlow
05-18-2003, 10:50 PM
thanx guys, and stacy, when you get the kit on your car looks clean, i almost didn't think you had one , whens the exhaust come in?

Barlow
05-19-2003, 12:31 AM
yo stylez you saying toms are pimp coils or the list buddy named that i should get???

Gondi Stylez
05-19-2003, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Barlow
yo stylez you saying toms are pimp coils or the list buddy named that i should get???

no, i meant.. i like them, plus my friends who have them also like them and have no problems... but like most car goodies.. if u have the extra $$ then go all out, ground control or something... the toms work for me!

Barlow
05-19-2003, 01:10 PM
k tight thanx

sunfiredude
05-19-2003, 08:02 PM
i have em on my sunfire, no problems! look great!

Daddymax
05-23-2003, 12:07 PM
IF you get some koni's with it you'll be fine!

04blackMAX
05-23-2003, 12:21 PM

Are you serious, i had a set of these because my distributor said they were ground controls and they arrived as tom motorsports garbage. That day they went right back..

My friend ended up getting a set of them in his car and the car bottoms out everywhere, the springs are so goddam bouncy and shitty ass ride.

Save up some cash and buy some half decent coils, Ground Control, tien, zeal, apexi, skunk2 etc...

so many companies now are making knockoff's of the brand name coils, all have the exact same spring load, these toms are comparable to the ground control..wait there is a difference it does say ground control on it, and i guess some people are label whores and have to have brand name to brag to there freinds, but all in all tom's makes a decent coilover and you cant beat the price

Barlow
05-24-2003, 12:19 AM
Thanx VSM your cody right??? Scotts cousin or some shit like that or am i on crack?

Rsxstacy
05-24-2003, 02:51 AM
Major Crack barlow...his name is not Cody..

Illusionsir
05-24-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by vsmSIR

so many companies now are making knockoff's of the brand name coils, all have the exact same spring load, these toms are comparable to the ground control..wait there is a difference it does say ground control on it, and i guess some people are label whores and have to have brand name to brag to there freinds, but all in all tom's makes a decent coilover and you cant beat the price

Very true, the tom coils have exactly the same spring load and single pirch setup as the ground control. im sorry to say, the only thing your paying for is the name...

redx2nv
05-24-2003, 09:14 AM
So you are saying apc coilovers are good? ractive too? what about the ones for $30 you can get on ebay?

Barlow
05-24-2003, 11:44 AM
but it is your cousin right, the dude with the black widow civic right??? the crack was pretty good though

2002civic
05-24-2003, 05:57 PM
the black widow civic is illusionsir andy

Illusionsir
05-24-2003, 07:21 PM
So you are saying apc coilovers are good? ractive too? what about the ones for $30 you can get on ebay?

if they have the same spring load and design, your a lucky man to find any coils for 30 bucks! apc or not, sorry dude, you got suckered into paying way to much for the same thing. the part numbers on the springs for the toms coils and for the ground controls are the same, again paying too much with very little research!
:thumbsup:

redx2nv
05-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Illusionsir

if they have the same spring load and design, your a lucky man to find any coils for 30 bucks! apc or not, sorry dude, you got suckered into paying way to much for the same thing. the part numbers on the springs for the toms coils and for the ground controls are the same, again paying too much with very little research!
:thumbsup:

Ok honestly man that where you are wrong.. I had both side by side and compared them, the only similarity is the sleeve design(which is different in that it uses a spanner wrench rather than being able to turn by hand with gc's).. GCs springs are eibachs from germany(dont hold me to this i think it is im pretty sure though)rather toms coils springs came from japan..Notice the white tags on them that say the spring rate, ground control springs are printed on them in white and say EIBACH on them...

I dont like them because my fried just put them in his car and they are absolute garbage(j-body), the car is all over the road, handling got whorse, bottoms out everywhere, and is bouncy as hell..

My ground controls are excelent, i got 400/450 spring rates and absolutely hugs the road, not bouncy, nevr bottoms out, but i also have a type r so results could be different..

But you know what, if they work good more power to ya:thumbsup:

I dont know i couldnt justify spending $300 on a suspension in my car, seems to cheap and fishy..:rolleyes:

Barlow
05-25-2003, 10:54 PM
yo illusion do you have a camber kit on your car??? or is it not lowered enough????

Rsxstacy
05-26-2003, 12:42 AM
Its not my cousin barlow...LOL go smoke more crack

04blackMAX
05-26-2003, 12:46 AM

Ok honestly man that where you are wrong.. I had both side by side and compared them, the only similarity is the sleeve design(which is different in that it uses a spanner wrench rather than being able to turn by hand with gc's).. GCs springs are eibachs from germany(dont hold me to this i think it is im pretty sure though)rather toms coils springs came from japan..Notice the white tags on them that say the spring rate, ground control springs are printed on them in white and say EIBACH on them...

I dont like them because my fried just put them in his car and they are absolute garbage(j-body), the car is all over the road, handling got whorse, bottoms out everywhere, and is bouncy as hell..

My ground controls are excelent, i got 400/450 spring rates and absolutely hugs the road, not bouncy, nevr bottoms out, but i also have a type r so results could be different..

But you know what, if they work good more power to ya:thumbsup:

I dont know i couldnt justify spending $300 on a suspension in my car, seems to cheap and fishy..:rolleyes:

u cant justify spending 300....i have a suspension for yeah ill charge yeah 3000, want that...u cant justify it cause your a label whore..no offense man, but the phrase supply and demand.....everyone wants coilovers....so inturn there are 20-30 companies making them whice brings the cost down...who sats a toms is any worse then a skunk 2...fuk i paid like 600 for my skunks...i wish i would have gotten a set for cheaper!!

redx2nv
05-26-2003, 08:41 AM
If you paid $600 for skunk2's you got ripped off!!

I've had ground controls, then skunk2's, then these "tom motorsports", and then back to ground controls.. Skunk2 takes the cake for beefiest coilovers and alright handling, ground control is the best handling hands down and fairly easy to use... Tom motorsports is shit sold from a two dollar crackwhore..:barf:

Illusionsir
05-26-2003, 03:52 PM
believe what you want dude.

Barlow
05-26-2003, 04:26 PM
still most likely gonna go for the tom's, I've seen illusions car and it is nice, not to mention when i see it and hear it theres nuttin making noises in/on it, spo the coils can't be as shitty as a lot of ppl make them out to be.

redx2nv
05-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Hey if they work for you fantastic, im entitled to my opion aswell as everyone else... Good luck on the coils, do a set of struts/shocks to to save some headaches in the future!

Weapon_R
05-26-2003, 05:31 PM
Tom's motorsport coilovers are designed like the Ground controls, and they are probably the best valued coils on the market. Go for them.