PDA

View Full Version : Computer is SLOW

Impreza
01-06-2007, 05:24 PM
My computer has just suddenly become extremely slow over the last week or so. I am not sure what has changed. Last thing I installed was Photoshop CS2. Right now, when I try to open files using PowerDVD or even windows media player, it lags, freezes, and just won't open the files!! I also can't burn anything...

What can I do to make my computer run faster? I did a virus scan, defrag'd the hard drive. What else can I do? I want to avoid a reformat at all costs!!

Thanks in advance

Chris88CL
01-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Oddly enough I have the same issue now after installing photoshop CS2.

:dunno:

Its still not agonizingly slow, but definately a difference.

im2fst4u
01-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Try using this program, it works excellent for a cleaner.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Have used it for a long time and have not had one issue.
Also, you can clean out the registry with this program: http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
Both excellent!
Cheers! :thumbsup:

urbannomad
01-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
Try using this program, it works excellent for a cleaner.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Have used it for a long time and have not had one issue.
Also, you can clean out the registry with this program: http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
Both excellent!
Cheers! :thumbsup:

ccleaner is the best choice to free up space, and potentially make the pc run faster....my bet is that you might have a virus that is eating all your ram up? it might've gone undetected by your antivirus.

Impreza
01-06-2007, 05:35 PM
That is something I had considered since I have 1gig of DDR2 ram and I don't really run anything intense. What are some good anti-virus programs, preferably free!

LilDrunkenSmurf
01-06-2007, 05:39 PM
AVG FTW

To keep my comp running smooth, I have AVG, and windows defender (anti spyware 1 > windows defender)

I also run a scan on both once a night...

Impreza
01-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Ok, still no dice!

Any other suggestions?

My computer specs are
Intel Core2 duo 6400 @ 2.13Ghz
1.00GB Ram, etc..

When I look at "Windows Task Manager", I have 1047724 Physical memory, and ~516288 Available, and system cache is ~655000. Is this normal?

I took a look at the processes tab to look at memory usage. The top memory hoggers are:

iexplore.exe = 67,780k
svchost.exe (system) = 38,600k
bdss.exe (system) = 23,308k
explorer.exe (system) = 21,852k
msnmsgr.exe = 20,764k
etc..

I have no idea if these numbers mean anything, but do they look like they're within normal ranges?

I really don't want to have to reformat my computer.....

drew_goring
01-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Does iexplorer.exe run even when you aren't running internet explorer? If so, you have a browser hijack/spyware.

Sharpie
01-06-2007, 08:57 PM
^ how do you find that out?

My laptop is also slow as hell

mystikalflip
01-06-2007, 09:02 PM
i also had this kind of problem before when i installed some program(forgot what it was) but afterwards it messed up my computer by making is sluggish so i uninstalled it. Afterwards my comps PF usage would go up so high that i would have to restart every 10 mins of usage. and now it wont burn any other brands of cd-rs but the last brand that i used before the installation. ( a brand from the dollar store. Same with dvds.:confused:

Cheeze
01-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Start checking for spyware/viruses

Spybot is good to find spyware, and i recommend norton internet security for viruses

good luck to you

Impreza
01-06-2007, 10:03 PM
I ran windows defender and nothing came up. Should I try spybot?

wylderhoads
01-06-2007, 11:57 PM
First off a reformat won't be neccesary... First off go to the start button and go to run... type msconfig and then go to the startup tab... Post all the ones that have a check mark here.

cityhunter2501
01-07-2007, 12:50 AM
out of curiosity, how big is your virtual memory?
my comp -> properties -> advanced tab -> performance settings -> advanced -> Virtual memory
a good rule of thumb is your Virtual mem being 1-1.5x your Physical mem.

Impreza
01-07-2007, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by wylderhoads
First off a reformat won't be neccesary... First off go to the start button and go to run... type msconfig and then go to the startup tab... Post all the ones that have a check mark here.

Ok, there are lots, so here it goes...
http://www.inspiral.ca/1.gif

Impreza
01-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
out of curiosity, how big is your virtual memory?
my comp -> properties -> advanced tab -> performance settings -> advanced -> Virtual memory
a good rule of thumb is your Virtual mem being 1-1.5x your Physical mem.

It says 1536mb

Thanks for everyones help! this is super frustrating

Zero102
01-07-2007, 12:56 PM
WTF? You are running Norton AND AVG?
Norton does background scanning, and it will always slow your computer down. IIRC AVG does the same, so that isn't helping.

Other than that, the memory usage above looks just fine.
You sure have a lot of crap on that startup list. If you are done with Norton (i.e. expired subscription, etc.) I reccomend you download the norton consumer product removal tool, to clean that crap off your computer, that will help somewhat.
Other than that, go through the list in msconfig, and uncheck everything that you don't need to run. Keep in mind, these are all background processes, and having them running means virtually nothing for most of those programs (i.e. smax, etc.) Programs like Kodak easy share get started when you run the application anyways, so there is no need to have them running in the background (I know you don't have that one, but it is a good example).

Zero102
01-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Okay, so looking over your list closer....
Here is what I would uncheck to start with:
imjpmig
tintsetp
tintsetp
smax4pnp
smax4
taskswitch
nerocheck
pdvdserv
incd
fwupdate
bdnagent
qttask
jusched
realsched
msnmsgr
msmsgs

Is this on a tablet PC? If not, you should not need these:
penpower
tabuserw

I also noticed, you are running bit defender, windows defender, AVG, AND Norton.... this will impact things somewhat.
Decide what protection programs you want to use, and remove the others, there is no need for this, more is not better.

If after unchecking the above, everything works and your computer is faster, go into the registry (regedit), and go to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run\
and delete the items from there, this way they cannot get re-enabled without adding them back into the registry.

soupey
01-07-2007, 01:01 PM
i thot norton doesnt allow u to install if hteres another virus scanner installed already?

i say install AOL Virus Scanner (made by Kaspersky, its free, google it). that or stick with ONE scanner, using more than one will slow u down a ton, use CCleaner as stated above, and run full virus + adware scans (using adaware) while in safe mode, should clear up any crap u have on ur comp.

Impreza
01-07-2007, 01:02 PM
I am running Norton? I don't recall ever installing it though. Are you sure I have it? Cause I can't find it on my computer!

Impreza
01-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Ok, I unchecked the above boxes, but I still can't load video's etc. What else could be the cause of this?

Impreza
01-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Any other suggestions?

Zero102
01-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Every now and then I read too fast, I mis-read some items on the list. It is nvidia, not norton, my mistake.

Do us a favor, run a scan from housecall or windows live, just make sure that everything is clean. Some viruses can disable your on-computer protection.
From there, run ccleaner or hijackthis, and you should be back in business.

Impreza
01-10-2007, 01:21 AM
hmm, no dice, guess I am forced to reformat?? argh...

Zero102
01-10-2007, 03:07 PM
So you did all of that already?

Impreza
01-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Yup, but it is still just as slow. Could there still be some kind of undetected virus slowing me down?

wylderhoads
01-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Wow you had a lot of processes started in your startup tab. Did you just unclick the ones zero102 said or did you do more. Cause you can get rid of pretty much all of those. (exceptions of a few of course)

So your problem is you can't play videos?? Or your computer is too slow??

So what do you have that still checked under the startup tab?

wylderhoads
01-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Services guide

You may want to go through this as well... probably not the cause of your problem but it's good to go through... It helps.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm