PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating rims

V1998
01-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know if alloy rims can be "sandblasted" then powdercoated or will this cause damage? Thanks.

CivicDXR
01-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Yes...

My stock rims went to Top Gun Coatings for a full strip and gold powdercoat... they won't exactly sandblast is, they strip it with a chemical...

And... you will read alot of information on the 'net about how powdercoating wheels is bad for its strength, but I honestly don't think it is an issue...

Mikespecr1
01-07-2007, 12:40 PM
how much did they charge you

CivicDXR
01-07-2007, 12:42 PM
About a $100 per wheel... they are my factory 18's... I think it depends on the size and finish...

V1998
01-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
Yes...

My stock rims went to Top Gun Coatings for a full strip and gold powdercoat... they won't exactly sandblast is, they strip it with a chemical...

And... you will read alot of information on the 'net about how powdercoating wheels is bad for its strength, but I honestly don't think it is an issue...

A friend works for a sandblasting company and what they use is actually plastic pellets instead of sand. I'd think this would mimize any damage and they also powdercoat as well. I wonder if placing wheels into the ovens is where they weaken. Anyways if I can find some 15 x 6 wheels w/ 5 x114mm bolt then I'd give it a try.