PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick and i got a question

v2kai
01-08-2007, 04:26 AM
plugged nostrils....why does it seem it's always one and not the other? i read an article on yahoo that it's blood vessels and something about a nasal cycle.....but if that's the case
why does lying on your side make it switch sides....!? i'm confused...
enlighten me beyonders:thumbsup: as i'm sick and bored as piss

KuruptEX
01-08-2007, 04:28 AM
pick ur nose works for me lol

KuruptEX
01-08-2007, 04:29 AM
i got the cold and i hate sometimes when u wanna go to sleep
and both nostrils are plugged scares me sometimes

3G
01-08-2007, 09:16 AM
get one of those vicks things they work wonders

djayz
01-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Yah the vicks tampons are great.

Another thing is to breath steam in. Get a kettle and put some eucalyptos oil in the water and then breath the vapors with a towel over your head. Your nose will drip like crazy so keep a towel or tissue box near. Do it for a day or two and all the sinus congestion will dissapear.

xrayvsn
01-08-2007, 10:57 AM
To answer your questions:

1. There really is a nasal cycle as you have read. Basically the body takes turns letting more blood flow to one side than the other. When more blood flows to (let's say) the right, the mucous membrane of that side swells, and less air can get in. This occurs in everyone, and it is the normal state. Once you get a cold then there is background inflammation of the mucosa and more mucus production as a result (why your nose itches and runs when you have a cold). Combine that with the normal nasal cycle, and you may feel like one side gets clogged and then switches to the other side getting clogged about 30 minutes later.

2. Fluid will go to the most dependent portion of your nasal passages/sinuses. The speed at which it can do so depends on how wide the passages are and how runny the mucous is. Given enough time and open pathways, you can get the mucoid material to drain with gravity.

nusneak
01-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

1. There really is a nasal cycle as you have read. Basically the body takes turns letting more blood flow to one side than the other. When more blood flows to (let's say) the right, the mucous membrane of that side swells, and less air can get in. This occurs in everyone, and it is the normal state. Once you get a cold then there is background inflammation of the mucosa and more mucus production as a result (why your nose itches and runs when you have a cold). Combine that with the normal nasal cycle, and you may feel like one side gets clogged and then switches to the other side getting clogged about 30 minutes later.

2. Fluid will go to the most dependent portion of your nasal passages/sinuses. The speed at which it can do so depends on how wide the passages are and how runny the mucous is. Given enough time and open pathways, you can get the mucoid material to drain with gravity.
You dont need to be so descriptive, I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Masked Bandit
01-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

Thanks for the post! I've noticed the same thing and I always wondered if I was a mutant or something. I guess it's just semi-normal.

Whitetiger
01-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by KuruptEX
pick ur nose works for me lol

+1 :thumbsup: