PDA

View Full Version : Canadian tire vs. Acura parts

variable_x
05-18-2003, 08:01 PM
My clutch master cylinder has just failed over this winter and needs replacing. Acura dealer quotes me $202 canadian for the parts; however, Canadian Tire parts only costs $102. I was wondering if I should take the cheap route and buy the parts from Canadian Tire or should I just stick with Acura OEM parts. I guess my real question is that is Candian Tire parts comarable to Acura parts because I don't want my clutch to feel all weird after changing the clutch master cylinder. Thanks ppl.

ConVict
05-18-2003, 08:07 PM
Ask CT if it is oem certifide. They have to pass certain restrictions to be classified oem I believe

hjr
05-19-2003, 10:57 AM
well it all depends. CT has some OEM stuff that is better than original, but they also have shit that is worse. My personal experience is that i lost 50% (not a typo) of my braking capacity by going to certified brake pads over my extremely worn down old pad (i dont know what they were, but it doenst matter 50% is a HUGE loss). Now with many of their other items, i have not had any problem at all. Most OEM replacment parts are the same in the end, but it is easy to make it seem like one is better than the other. Now Factory OEM is more consistent, but it can also end up working out better or worse. I know many folk how only have their cars serviced at the dealers even though it can cost almost double some times, and they have had nothing but troubles with the parts. But its all luck of the draw. the same as cars have slight defects, so can parts (not as bad though). SO if your feeling lucky, go CT, and if you have more money than me, go Acura

benyl
05-19-2003, 11:09 AM
based on hjr's logic, I would go with CT parts. You can buy two for the price of the OEM. If the first one goes out quick, buy another and you are at the same place as OEM (in terms of cash spent). If you buy the OEM and it is a lemon, you have to pay that price again.

Even if it changes the way your clutch feels, you will get used to it in a few weeks.

sil-eightyDrift
05-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Dont you get it at canadian tire, dont have it installed there they cant even fuckin out on an exhaust properly, i had to bring my old accord there to ahve the cat replaced adn i had to birng it back 3 times because they fucked up.. they forgot to change the pipe infornt of the cat( even though it was ruset through), and now after the alst time i brought it in the heat shield vibrated against the exhaust. even though this had nothin to do wiht your problem youll be happier wiht a working car and not having it installed at canadain tire :banghead: :guns:

redx2nv
05-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Can you repeat this in english??

Originally posted by sil-eightyDrift
Dont you get it at canadian tire, dont have it installed there they cant even fuckin out on an exhaust properly, i had to bring my old accord there to ahve the cat replaced adn i had to birng it back 3 times because they fucked up.. they forgot to change the pipe infornt of the cat( even though it was ruset through), and now after the alst time i brought it in the heat shield vibrated against the exhaust. even though this had nothin to do wiht your problem youll be happier wiht a working car and not having it installed at canadain tire :banghead: :guns: :dunno:

benyl
05-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by redx2nv
Can you repeat this in english??

:dunno:

:werd:

quickshifter
05-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Man if your into cars always remember to stay away from Canadian Tire and WalMart, these companies do not have the proffesional training of Dealerships.Is it worth risking over an extra $100.00?

benyl
05-20-2003, 11:39 PM
agreed, but the part might be ok, just don't get it installed by them

Scarface
05-21-2003, 12:08 AM
i would jus stick to the acura parts....that way you know nothing can suprise you

98type_r
05-21-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Scarface
i would jus stick to the acura parts....that way you know nothing can suprise you
:werd:

hjr
05-21-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by sil-eightyDrift
Dont you get it at canadian tire, dont have it installed there they cant even fuckin out on an exhaust properly, i had to bring my old accord there to ahve the cat replaced adn i had to birng it back 3 times because they fucked up.. they forgot to change the pipe infornt of the cat( even though it was ruset through), and now after the alst time i brought it in the heat shield vibrated against the exhaust. even though this had nothin to do wiht your problem youll be happier wiht a working car and not having it installed at canadain tire :banghead: :guns:

they are not an exhaust shop. If you want someone with experience in exhaust, take it to a muffler shop. To tell you the truth, though there are some things i would have done at CT, exhaust is NOT one of them. Its probably the last place i would take a car for that kind of work.

Weapon_R
05-21-2003, 05:51 PM
OEM parts are usually warrantied just as long as factory parts, and they perform just as well in most cases. While some parts should not be purchased from cdn tire, auto value etc, I see no problem in getting a master cylinder from there.

NickGT
05-21-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by quickshifter
Man if your into cars always remember to stay away from Canadian Tire and WalMart, these companies do not have the proffesional training of Dealerships.Is it worth risking over an extra $100.00?

I've seen nothing but people wasting there time going to dealerships. I guess it's hit and miss when it comes to those places. But I've yet to actually see in 4 different situations them solve a problem. The only reason one of the problem's stopped. Is cause someone stole the car (it was a focus). And the knock in the truck motor hasnt disappeared despite being serviced, and they say nothings wrong with it. Both brand new vehicles.

I'd say go to a shop specializing in the work needed to be done. Pay the right guy once, instead of a bunch of monkeys and interns trying things out on your car.