PDA

View Full Version : Bachelor of Applied Business and Entrepreneurship

TVG
01-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Thinking of taking this at MRC. Is it a well respected degree? Anybody in it? I want to take business but there's no way I can get in to Haskayne right now and the course listing looks really good. Not a lot of time wasted on courses you'll never need.

cressida_pimpin
01-09-2007, 11:40 AM
In my opinion, employers either want a college diploma or a university degree. So you pretty much do the 3rd and 4th year for nothing.

Teggy
01-09-2007, 11:52 AM
hey bro i was in hthat program two years ago, its decent some classes like accounting, and statistic were very dry, and hard to understand but i'll give it a b-

JAYMEZ
01-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Im almost done it , have a year and half left... Honestly these days its who you know in the business that gets you good jobs.. IMO.

r1_boii
01-12-2007, 01:50 AM
anyone thats doing international business at MRC?? feedback?

r1_boii
01-18-2007, 03:31 PM
:repost:

sk65guy
01-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Hey just wondering what kind of jobs can you get with Bachelor of Applied Business and Entrepreneurship and whats the average income per year??

Hakkola
01-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by sk65guy
Hey just wondering what kind of jobs can you get with Bachelor of Applied Business and Entrepreneurship and whats the average income per year??

I was looking at this program when I was flipping through the calendar today, looks pretty good.

I figured this bachelor is best for someone who wants to start their own business? :dunno:

TVG
01-19-2007, 12:47 AM
Just to be safe, could I get a good job at an oil company with this?

core_upt
01-19-2007, 10:00 AM
graduated from the program in 2003 - its great if you want to start your own company; quite a few of my fellow grads did just that - one owns a skate shop another runs a dance studio (she one Calgary Entreprenuer of the Year).

the courses are good. very hands on, but in order to get the most from it you really NEED to be intent on starting your own business. The two practicums involve setting up and operating a small company for a semester. You submit proposals, market evaluations, do market research and write business plans - if you don't have an intended plan of what kind of company you want to open/operate, you spend a LOT of time on something that doesn't do you a lot of good once you're done.

As James said, a lot of jobs come from WHO not WHAT you know. So, yes, you could get a job in O&G if that's what you wanted to do, but as this program is not task specific, you can't really apply as an accountant, market specialt, financial planner, etc... You learn a lot fo everything, just not quite enough to specialize.

As for admission into the program, the year i got in, they accpeted one out of every 30-40 applicants and the admission grade average was 84% from high school making it MUCH harder to get into than most business schools in western canada. Also, the Entrepreneurship program, when i enrolled, was one of the only recognized ones in North America. I'm not sure how much this has changed since, as I can only speak to what I know.

Oh, and if you think you might go post-grad afterwards, be careful, only a handful of school will recognize an "applied" degree for postgrad studies, so if you wanted to persue your MBA aferwards you're limited to certain schools. U of T will not accept it as of 2004, but Queens will, IIRC.

cressida_pimpin
01-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Yea, you will never get into post-grad studies with an applied degree. This is because 1) it is not an accredited university degree 2) there is a ton of competion, especiall at Queen's.

TrevorK
01-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
Also, the Entrepreneurship program, when i enrolled, was one of the only recognized ones in North America. I'm not sure how much this has changed since, as I can only speak to what I know.

I believe NAIT will be offerring a full degree (not applied) in "Business and Entrepreneurship" shortly (Fall 2007).....

r1_boii
01-20-2007, 12:07 AM
the courses are good. very hands on, but in order to get the most from it you really NEED to be intent on starting your own business. The two practicums involve setting up and operating a small company for a semester. You submit proposals, market evaluations, do market research and write business plans - if you don't have an intended plan of what kind of company you want to open/operate, you spend a LOT of time on something that doesn't do you a lot of good once you're done.

As James said, a lot of jobs come from WHO not WHAT you know. So, yes, you could get a job in O&G if that's what you wanted to do, but as this program is not task specific, you can't really apply as an accountant, market specialt, financial planner, etc... You learn a lot fo everything, just not quite enough to specialize.

is it possible after the applied degree that we can use to get into any government positions?

Dayclone
01-20-2007, 01:48 AM
I'm currently waiting till July so I can attend CDI college and get my diploma in Business Administration and tuition is like $15k but your done within a year and you can start making money ASAP. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Steve