PDA

View Full Version : New Year Resolution phenomena

TimG
01-09-2007, 12:54 PM
So who's noticed this phenomena at their gym?

I went last night and couldn't even get on any of the cardio equipment and every single bench had a lineup :thumbsdow

cbinteg
01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
It's like that every year, the crowds start to die off around mid-february.

Speed_69
01-09-2007, 01:08 PM
i've noticed this phenomena sunday and last night as well

don't worry, it's just many people's new years resolution then after a month or two they don't follow it anymore..

it'll die down soon hopefully

TimG
01-09-2007, 01:36 PM
yah i know it happens every year. It's just a piss off that my normal workout will take 2x as long for the next 2 months.

rahim
01-09-2007, 01:43 PM
yeah it usually causes me to work out less right after the new year :(

GTS Jeff
01-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Hah, the U of A gym was pretty packed last night. But I've noticed that the New Year's crowd usually hangs around the treadmills and the machines. The freeweight areas weren't too bad...although I did see some poor kid fuck himself on the bench press with 75lbs. He went to do his first rep, no spot, and he got the barbell stuck on his chest. After a dude walking by helped him out, I decided to go over to see if he wanted some spotting. But by the time I walked over, he had put everything back and left the gym in a hurry. :rofl:

nos_efx
01-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Same crowd for the YMCA gym in downtown. Although I did like it when there was barely anybody in the gym over the holidays.

l8braker
01-09-2007, 03:15 PM
yeah, the gym at our office is the same every year. wait a bit until march and you'll see them start to give up on themselves and realize they will always be fatasses and ny resolutions don't work :rofl:

plus the one at my work is full of these overweight women over 40 that seem to hate the world.

TimG
01-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I usually go to the Y downtown at lunchtime but in Nov-Dec it was insanely packed. How is it now at lunchtime?

Forcefed
01-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Its crazy, I was waiting for like 10 minutes for a machine....Fucken people....as stated, its funny those who go for a month, and then stop going for the rest of the year!:drama:

nos_efx
01-09-2007, 03:25 PM
I usually head in after work so quarter to 5, I haven't been in at lunchtime since early december but I cannot imagine it is any busier.

I do wish they would expand that gym.

Originally posted by TimG
I usually go to the Y downtown at lunchtime but in Nov-Dec it was insanely packed. How is it now at lunchtime?

core_upt
01-09-2007, 04:21 PM
i started hitting Talisman before work; get there at 5-5:15AM, leave 6:15-6:30AM - haven't noticed it being any busier in the New year, but I'm' sure its even crazier than normal after work.

8:30PM bedtimes and 5AM workouts FTW

acura_el
01-09-2007, 04:27 PM
they should give up already, save all of us some time

Manifesto55
01-09-2007, 05:08 PM
I usually make a reverse resolution and take a break from the gym for most of January. It's a relaxing break and when I go back the crowds are back to normal, it's usually dying down as early as the third week of Jan.

Ben
01-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
i started hitting Talisman before work; get there at 5-5:15AM, leave 6:15-6:30AM - haven't noticed it being any busier in the New year, but I'm' sure its even crazier than normal after work.

8:30PM bedtimes and 5AM workouts FTW

I'm at Talisman 3-4 nights a week, and from what I can tell it's always pretty busy between 1500-1900h, dies off at 1930h and then gets busy at 2130h for the broke ass 4 dollar thing, which the place loads up on people who seem to go for the sake of going, monopolizing equipment but not really doing anything. I generally go from 1930-2200.

It's always been this way and have found that nothing has really changed with the new year upon us, generally see the same people. It's the "Gyms" that tend to pack up, suck as spa lady, world heath, golds, etc, because they often have those "New Years Packages" and all those discount deals and stuff, whereas Talisman is pay per use and never has membership sales.

Talisman FTW.

Dave P
01-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Hahah i just work out in the small gym in my appartment complex, and i havent seen a person in there all year until last week.

now its been like full every day

Ben
01-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Yah, I spoke too soon.

Talisman was packed tonight.

Couldn't get a treadmill or bike to save my life, and it was lardass central on the oval, woulda been like running a slalom made with pillars. Like someone said above tho, free weights were empty along with most strength training equipment. Had to have been a line up of 5-6 women for the thighmaster type machines tho.

Meh, good for them...IF, and this is a BIG IF, they keep it up. We all started somewhere.

3G
01-10-2007, 12:00 AM
noticed alot more girls at the gym since new years, at golds in the ne, doesnt bother me, none of them are in the free weights area, i barely use the cardio machines but ya way more people

Khyron
01-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Just remember, the new years resolution crowd subsidises your yearly costs with all the memberships they buy and then don't use. Mid Feb = gone.

Khyron

snade831
01-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Yeap, happens every year

JAYMEZ
01-13-2007, 02:15 AM
ahhaha :repost: .. I always cut down my workouts for this month , i get frustrated waitin for people. Just go swimming!

Ben
01-15-2007, 08:36 PM
welp, lets see how it is after 2 weeks. will report back later.

A2VR6
01-16-2007, 12:40 AM
I've noticed it getting quite busy at the U of C gym too... basically have to wait for everything. Gotta love it when your working out on a machine and you have your ID card on the bench and when you leave to go grab a drink from the fountain in between sets and someone takes your machine and throws your ID card on the floor! :banghead:

Ben
01-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Yah, tonight sucked.

GTS Jeff
01-16-2007, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6
I've noticed it getting quite busy at the U of C gym too... basically have to wait for everything. Gotta love it when your working out on a machine and you have your ID card on the bench and when you leave to go grab a drink from the fountain in between sets and someone takes your machine and throws your ID card on the floor! :banghead: It's pretty rude of someone to be touching your shit AND throwing it on the ground, but at the same time, it's also a dick move on your part to try to reserve the machine for a total of 2 minutes, which is totally enough for someone to do a set between yours.

If I see someone wanting to use the bench or whatever I'm on, I'll offer to let them use it between my sets. Common courtesy can go a long way to making life not suck.

TimG
01-16-2007, 08:50 AM
what Jeff said. I hate people who rest on the machine while there's a lineup to use it.

writhen
01-16-2007, 09:11 AM
I go between 530 and 7 in the morning. no issues that early haha.

A2VR6
01-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
It's pretty rude of someone to be touching your shit AND throwing it on the ground, but at the same time, it's also a dick move on your part to try to reserve the machine for a total of 2 minutes, which is totally enough for someone to do a set between yours.

If I see someone wanting to use the bench or whatever I'm on, I'll offer to let them use it between my sets. Common courtesy can go a long way to making life not suck.

Fair enough. Im pretty good about letting someone work in between sets if they ask or if they're actually standing there waiting, I dont mind that.

What I do mind is when a guy just walks right in and just takes it without looking to see if anyone was just using it.

hjr
01-16-2007, 12:05 PM
ya, well in such a case you say, "What the fuck ass hole, i was using that, if you want to work in, ASK!" haha

Evolize
01-16-2007, 02:16 PM
why do people figure they need to spend money to get into shape? I've been doing just fine walking/jogging around my neighborhood, eating good, and doing pushups + situps when i wake up and before i go to bed.

max_boost
01-16-2007, 02:49 PM
^^^

For the same reasons why we spend money on everything else. Gym memberships are relatively inexpensive anyway.

nos_efx
01-16-2007, 03:13 PM
a) Gyms have a huge variety of equipment, free weights, cardio machines, weight machines, swimming pools, and courts. Unless you are rich then I cannot see you having all of this equipment readily available at home

b) some people have a harder time exercising at home (ie: working on chores/watching tv seem to take a higher priority). Going to a gym lets you focus on exercising.

c) Pushups and situps dont really allow you to work on your other muscles (Ie: back, legs, forearms, etc) nor is it a complete workout.

Originally posted by Evolize
why do people figure they need to spend money to get into shape? I've been doing just fine walking/jogging around my neighborhood, eating good, and doing pushups + situps when i wake up and before i go to bed.