PDA

View Full Version : Moving in 2 weeks - Truck rental recommendation?

clem24
01-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey guys,

I'll be moving in 2 weeks and I want to book something quick. Can anyone recommend a truck rental company, other than U-Haul? I've not read a single positive thing about them. It'll just be within the city, for the whole weekend.

Whitetiger
01-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Most rental agencies have cube vans.

Originally posted by clem24
Hey guys,

I'll be moving in 2 weeks and I want to book something quick. Can anyone recommend a truck rental company, other than U-Haul? I've not read a single positive thing about them. It'll just be within the city, for the whole weekend.

QuasarCav
01-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Rent a 5-ton from Driving Force if you have enough stuff to move, otherwise you should have no trouble finding a cube van if you book now. I also had a bad experience with U-Haul.

HRD2PLZ
01-10-2007, 11:38 AM
A client of mine rented from Hyatt when he moved last week. I think he said the van he had worked out to be less than $100 for the day. And that was including the gas premium (he forgot to fill it back up).

clem24
01-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Hey I was just looking on the Driving Force website. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give 'em a call and see what they got. It'll be a good sized move. I anticipate at least 2 - 3 trips in a big U-Haul type cube van.

I'll check out Hyatt too. Thanks!

Neons4life
01-10-2007, 12:16 PM
I was in the same boat as you a while ago. Didn't want to go with U-haul because most of the units are a POS but they were far cheaper than anything else I could find so I used them. My bill came to about $45 for the whole day with gas (2 trips across town).

In the end who cares, get what's cheap that will do the job.

clem24
01-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Ya I just called DrivingForce... They want $150/day plus $.23 per km. The quote I got from the UHaul site is $40/day plus $.69. For a short haul move, UHaul is the cheaper one. DrivingForce FTW if you're going between cities. Ah well. So much for that. Damn UHaul. :banghead:

Crymson
01-10-2007, 12:45 PM
+1 Driving force. GREAT experience.

I rented a 16 ft. cube van to move from Saskatoon the Calgary, Great price, and the van was in very good condition, and clean.

- infinity to Uhaul

They ripped me off 2 ways (lied about fuel in the tank, and lied about mileage on the odo), and the van was filthy and barely ran. They really should not be allowed to conduct business

Crymson
01-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Ya I just called DrivingForce... They want $150/day plus $.23 per km. The quote I got from the UHaul site is $40/day plus $.69. For a short haul move, UHaul is the cheaper one. DrivingForce FTW if you're going between cities. Ah well. So much for that. Damn UHaul. :banghead:

That price is total bullshit. I can almost garauntee you that it's going to cost 150$ from uhaul, at least, for a days use. I'm not sure how they can legally advertise that rate, because i don't think i know anyone who has ever gotten their truck for 40$ a day.

Speedy
01-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Most car rental places used to rent 5 ton cube vans, I know we rented one from Budget before.

Someone should start a Uhaul moving thread as I dont want to hijack this thread but I wil never rent from them again regardless of how cheap it is...

I rented a trailer to move a washer and dryer and when I went to pick it up no one asked me what I was using to haul it and even after the kid hooked up, still no one said anything until I go into to sign the contract and he asks what type of vehicle and when I told him its a Ford Explorer he said that they couldnt rent to me due to the fact of the Firestone recall, even after explaining my vehicle was not in that year of the recall and showing him I had aftermarket tires he still would not rent so I ended pulling thier trailer to the entrance and detatching it there...childish I know but I was pissed.

topmade
01-10-2007, 01:54 PM
I like ACE rentals just because their trucks are newer and good condition. Price was like $100/day or something and extra for Kms. They do have other packages as well to chose from.

On the otherhand and off topic, I used movers my last move and they were totally awesone, cheap and fast. Did two full trucks in about 5 hours and costed $280. If you're interested give me a pm and I'll give you their number.

FiveFreshFish
01-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Try http://www.rentawreck.ca/

clem24
01-11-2007, 01:18 AM
Called Uhaul as well. It actually is $40 a day for the 26 footer. The hidden charges are $15 required insurance per day. Then there's $10 for a dolly, another few bucks for foam pads, somemore here and there, and I can see how it goes up. But shitty thing is they don't have my truck available for the day I want. Guess I'll have to call around to different locations.

Another ghey thing: they have 17 footers available for 2 days, but I'd have to drive the truck back that night and get a new one the next day because there's different bookings on it. Yeesh.

How big are those trailers? I've got access to a Chevy 1500 with a hitch, so that might work too. I assume the trailers are no where near as big as the cube vans.

redevil
01-11-2007, 01:41 AM
try nationalcar.ca or call budget.

National Car is about $80 with 50 km included website can give you a quote.

I'm looking to get one for my move in Feb.

let me know if you find something cheaper.

All else fails I will use Uhaul, but I too have had bad experience with them just trying to get a truck....:thumbsdow it will be a last resort I guess.

CRXguy
01-11-2007, 10:01 AM
When I moved, National had the cheapest rate. I think it worked out to $90/day out the door and free 50-60km/day. They didn't have it when I wanted it though. Give it a shot. This was for a 17ft cube van.

Another suggestion is Ace. They were second cheapest at around $120/day including insurance. It was about 10-15cents/KM. This is for a 17ft as well.

How much stuff do you have? I didn't have much so 17ft van was good for one trip. If you have lots, get the biggest you can get so you don't have to drive back and forth so much.

clem24
01-11-2007, 01:56 PM
National is booked. If you want national, you'll need to call NOW as they were already fully booked about 4-5 weeks ago.

Stupid Uhaul. The other locations either don't have anything, or they are only taking bookings for 1 way trips. Shit didn't know it was such a pain to find a truck. Maybe I should've looked sooner.. :banghead:

Just called Budget. Interesting that they all the phone numbers get directed to a call centre, but they "aren't allowed" to give out the number of a specific centre (they need to call you back). So hopefully that works out. I guess there's always DrivingForce. I think I'll have to camp out 3 days beforehand so I can get my truck.

93mr2gt
01-11-2007, 02:06 PM
dont they always have that budget 1/2 ton special for like 19.99 a day?

clem24
01-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Called Budget. They have what I want (1 ton 17ft) for the time I want it, and good pickup location. $374 for both days, 700kms included. So no hidden charges here. But it's quite steep. But looks like this might be my best option. :dunno:

ACURA dreamin
01-11-2007, 02:32 PM
discount rentals
100.00/day
just about to reserve mine now for my move at the end of the month-i belive it was 50/km free per day

clem24
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Checked. That's the price for a 10 footer. 17 footer is equal to Budget.

clem24
01-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Ok I caved. Booked with Budget. I found a $15 coupon in the Yellow Pages, so that helps I guess. ;) If anyone else has a better coupon, I'll buy you a happy meal, lol. :D

It seems like month end (between 25th and 5th) is a busy time, so not much in terms of discounts. Rental came out to $360+ tax, I get 1,400kms (I'll take very scenic routes) and rental starts from 7am Sat morning till 7am Monday morning as each "block" is 24 hours.

ExtremeSi
01-11-2007, 09:02 PM
What if I want to move to Lethbridge? Does anyone know places with good one-way rates so I can drop the truck off in Lethbridge?

Sorry for jumping on this thread

Supa Dexta
01-11-2007, 09:48 PM
yeah keep this thread up to date, I need to move to edmonton..... I'll need a larger truck for the furniture and crap...

scat19
01-11-2007, 11:59 PM
what about Ryder?

clem24
01-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Yeah I checked out Ryder too. The only problem is I am moving from the deep northwest to another part of the deep northwest... And the only Ryder location is waaaaay down south. Too much of a hassle, and the kms will probably kill me.

I am getting my truck from Budget in Canadian Tire parking lot in Dalhousie. I figure in the end I might possibly end up paying something like $50 more, but it's worth the convenience. The good thing about Budget is that I don't have to worry about the km's and the quoted price is the actual price I am paying. So good for them. I'll report back on my experience in 2 weeks. :thumbsup:

Another thing I've heard with Uhaul is people have actually confirmed a rental, but when they show up, no rental. I also wonder why some places only accept one way rentals (i.e. to another city). So annoying. :banghead: