PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a house/condo, any good websites?

Thaco
01-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Hey, i'm looking for some good websites that are updated often with listings in calgary... I'll be buying a condo(most likely) in the next 2-3 months... if anyone on here has one for sale let me know ($230k is my max, i know, it's low, i'm poor, but i just need to get in to anything right now, i'm tired of paying someone elses mortgage)

Oh yeah, and it needs to be 2-3 bedrooms, there are 3 of us moving in there (me, wife and kid)

Any help is appreciated.

(Also i should mention, i already have a mortgage broker, and a realtor whom i am meeting with this friday)

jf97talon
01-10-2007, 01:03 PM
rentfaster.ca

Thaco
01-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by jf97talon
rentfaster.ca

I want to buy, not rent

jf97talon
01-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Google search for a good site

welist.ca

Thaco
01-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Google search for a good site

Don't you think i've done that already?

jf97talon
01-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Re-read my post. i edited it.

That site is where i have seen many friends and family post there houses/condos/duplexes.

The owners do all the advertising, and expedite the process of paying a company to advertise for them

The_1
01-10-2007, 01:15 PM
im panorama pointe of view released another phase
it wont be done till mid 2008
you can get a place under your budget (2 bed rooms 2 bathrooms $232K
they arnt that great of a builder but better then nothing
worth checking out

Thaco
01-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Re-read my post. i edited it.

That site is where i have seen many friends and family post there houses/condos/duplexes.

The owners do all the advertising, and expedite the process of paying a company to advertise for them

Yeah, except most of them say no agents, but i already have a realitor, and this being my first time i'll be using a realitor

Thaco
01-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by The_1
im panorama pointe of view released another phase
it wont be done till mid 2008
you can get a place under your budget (2 bed rooms 2 bathrooms $232K
they arnt that great of a builder but better then nothing
worth checking out

Thanks, but i need to move by June 1 07.

benyl
01-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

Yeah, except most of them say no agents, but i already have a realitor, and this being my first time i'll be using a realitor

If you have a good realtor, he will show it to you anyway.

I went to a lot of places with my realtor where there was no commision.

Why are you hung up on having a realtor?

lint
01-10-2007, 01:31 PM
if you already have a realtor, let him earn his keep. More likely than not, he'll be able to find new listings faster than you can yourself.

Thaco
01-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by benyl

If you have a good realtor, he will show it to you anyway.

I went to a lot of places with my realtor where there was no commision.

Why are you hung up on having a realtor?

because it's my first time and i don't want to get burned.

Thaco
01-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by lint
if you already have a realtor, let him earn his keep. More likely than not, he'll be able to find new listings faster than you can yourself.

We're going to see her on friday, i just wanted to look for a few places before we go there... i know what i want better than she does.

benyl
01-10-2007, 01:42 PM

because it's my first time and i don't want to get burned.

You can get burned with or without a realtor. If I were you, I would go with a friend or a family member that has bought a lot of properties. That is of course if you don't know your realtor very well.

We're going to see her on friday, i just wanted to look for a few places before we go there... i know what i want better than she does.

That may be the case, but you can't actually go and look. If you go and then come back with your realtor at a later time, she will not get the commision.

Also, you may know what you want, but she knows where to find it. You need to convey your desired property to her. It is her job to find what you want, not what she thinks you want.

tictactoe2004
01-10-2007, 01:43 PM

www.mls.ca

You can find some nice stuff in the mackenzie area, 2 bedroom 2 bathroom 900 square feet..

Nothing will be better than the mls exchange that your realtor uses though. You won't find a lot in your budget unless you look at a budget area... so it won't be a lengthy process.

Thaco
01-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by benyl

You can get burned with or without a realtor. If I were you, I would go with a friend or a family member that has bought a lot of properties. That is of course if you don't know your realtor very well.

That may be the case, but you can't actually go and look. If you go and then come back with your realtor at a later time, she will not get the commision.

Also, you may know what you want, but she knows where to find it. You need to convey your desired property to her. It is her job to find what you want, not what she thinks you want.

Our realtor is a co-worker of my wife's, we've known her for a while.

We weren't planning on actually going to look, just looking for some listings that she could inquire about on our behalf

We told her what we want, and where, she's got some properties for us, i'm just impatient and wanted to snoop around to see what's out there.

HRD2PLZ
01-10-2007, 01:52 PM
The good stuff under $240K is moving pretty quick.

www.mls.ca would be the best site for your search. Its updated daily, but a couple days behind our Realtor's MLS sytm. Any of the other Realtor's websites (google hits) just take their information from mls.ca

You could also try www.welist.com and a few of the FSBO sites. Your Realtor probably won't be excited about showing FSBO's but if she is a good Realtor she will look out for your best interests.

Good luck with the search :thumbsup:

Thaco
01-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by tictactoe2004

www.mls.ca

You can find some nice stuff in the mackenzie area, 2 bedroom 2 bathroom 900 square feet..

Nothing will be better than the mls exchange that your realtor uses though. You won't find a lot in your budget unless you look at a budget area... so it won't be a lengthy process.

Thanks, i've looked there but i heard that MLS is 2-3 days behind the actual listing, so i was hoping someone know something that was a bit quicker, but i guess i'll just have to go with MLS for now.

Due to the budget we're looking in a budget/older community, we know we'll have to make a lot of sacrifices in order to actually find anything in our budget, i just want to find something to build some equity on for ~5 years and then move to a place we actually want.

We actually found a few decent places in the applewood/mountainview/red carpet point of view condos, but that was a month ago, and they're all gone now, and we've decided we would rather a townhouse condo because they generally have a basement, which in a bungalo style, it almost doubles the listed sq footage.

HRD2PLZ
01-10-2007, 01:56 PM

Thanks, i've looked there but i heard that MLS is 2-3 days behind the actual listing, so i was hoping someone know something that was a bit quicker, but i guess i'll just have to go with MLS for now.

Due to the budget we're looking in a budget/older community, we know we'll have to make a lot of sacrifices in order to actually find anything in our budget, i just want to find something to build some equity on for ~5 years and then move to a place we actually want.

The only way you will be able to see what is on the market as soon as it comes on is to ask your Realtor to set up a search for you, it will then automatically email you as soon as a new listing that meets your criteria is listed.

Thaco
01-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ

The only way you will be able to see what is on the market as soon as it comes on is to ask your Realtor to set up a search for you, it will then automatically email you as soon as a new listing that meets your criteria is listed.

Yeah, i had heard of that, she'll probably do that after our meeting on friday.

Anyone know if it's unusual to have a long posession date? do most people have a place to move before even listing their house? we'd like a posession date of ~May 10, but i don't know if 4 months is too far away to start looking.

RickDaTuner
01-10-2007, 01:58 PM
www.mls.ca

woops was already posted eh

HRD2PLZ
01-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Anyone know if it's unusual to have a long posession date? do most people have a place to move before even listing their house? we'd like a posession date of ~May 10, but i don't know if 4 months is too far away to start looking.

If you absolutely need to know what is out there, call her and have her email it all to you. It only takes a few minutes.

Typically the possessions I have been selling are 30 - 60 days. Most of them being closer to 30 though. It depends, its fairly common to find listings with a 90 day negotiable possession date. Depends on the seller's circumstances.

Thaco
01-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ

If you absolutely need to know what is out there, call her and have her email it all to you. It only takes a few minutes.

Typically the possessions I have been selling are 30 - 60 days. Most of them being closer to 30 though. It depends, its fairly common to find listings with a 90 day negotiable possession date. Depends on the seller's circumstances.

Yeah, and i guess i dont need to wait 4 months for posession anyways, I know my landlord is planning to jack my rent up at the next lease, and i dont expect him to give back my damage deposit because that's just how he is, so i could just break the lease with no reprocussions.

Ed the SOHC
01-11-2007, 10:03 PM
My mom's selling her townhouse in Thorncliffe for $220,000 (I believe) it's not on the market yet.

It's 2 Storey townhouse with 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms (1 full and 1 half) and 1119.46 sqft (needs to verify)

PM me if you want more details.

Whitetiger
01-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Yea, I agree with a GOOD realtor. They can really help you the pitfalls of buying.

armae
01-12-2007, 09:46 PM
I believe there are a couple of townhouses by Saddletowne Circle that are for sale. They were built by Partners Homes. You can see the plans here: http://www.partnershomes.ca/tara_springs_project.html

I think they are listed with Remax...

Thaco
01-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the posts, i bought a place last night :)

I'm glad i went with a realtor, we'd have been lost if we hadn't since there were multipule offers on that condo.