PDA

View Full Version : Best Mucle groups to workout together?

SneakyNeek
01-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Hay i was just wondering what the best groups of muscles to work out together in a session. eg. say doing Chest Biceps and shoulders one day and Triceps/Back another.

i wanna maximise the workout by working the proper mucles together.

thnx

BokCh0y
01-10-2007, 07:40 PM
i usually do back and bi's, chest and tri's.

davidI
01-10-2007, 10:19 PM
I've done some different splits but the 2 I prefer are

Chest / Calves
Back / Forearms
Shoulders / Abs
Arms
Legs

or

Chest / Tris
Back / Bis
Shoulders / Abs
Legs

I just found that when I tried doing both Chest & Tris on the same day I had already spent all of my energy by the time I started my arm work so my arm work was never very good. Mixin' it up never hurts...sometimes I just go by how I'm feeling. If after a chest workout I'm still pumped and ready to go I'll continue on to triceps as well.

Mixalot27
01-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I do back and biceps together. Chest, Shoulders, triceps together. Mainly because if I work Chest hard one day, then my triceps and shoulders will be sore for the next few days from the chest workout. Same with working back, my biceps will be sore for a few days after. So grouping it the way I do seems to let me get in the most # of workouts without ever having to work a muscle that is still sore.

BokCh0y
01-11-2007, 09:07 AM
i agree with you there about working a muscle that is already sore. I think if you're doing chest and indirectly working your tri's anyways for example you may as well just work the tri's anyways. same goes with back.

but davidI does have a good idea about working the shoulders and abs at the same time. think i'll try that too.

SneakyNeek
01-11-2007, 10:36 AM
thnx for the info guys!!

EG STyLeZ
01-11-2007, 03:06 PM
I usually avoid working muscle groups that are used together frequently in exercises, like back/biceps, chest/triceps, etc. because if you give er for one muscle group, the other will definitely suffer by the end of that workout.

If i'm going to do two muscle groups together, i'll usually do chest/biceps, back/triceps, forearms/calves/abs, and quads/hams.

89coupe
01-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Exactly!

Always work opposing muscle groups.

Bi's & Chest = good
Tri's & Chest = bad

Darkane
01-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Legs/back/bi's - Chest/Tri's/shoulder

the key is to do the compound movements first then isolate Bi's/tri's if you wish.

Thing is people way overtrain Bi's, and they dont grow lol.

As the infamous Dave Tate said:

"Tri's for guys, Curls for girls."

Tricep is 2/3 the arm.

jumperman8
01-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Exactly!

Always work opposing muscle groups.

Bi's & Chest = good
Tri's & Chest = bad

This is not Correct, in order to see full gains and get a better work out you always work Corresponding Muscle Groups.

This is for many reasons, but lets just leave it at you get the maximum work out for the muscles.

If you find that after your chest workout you are to tired for tri's, why not do one exercise of chest one of tri's, if this tires you out, then lower the weight, because you are not strong enough to be doing the wieght you are.

Either or works, i still get maximum gains and a great work out when i do either chest then tri's then chest, or back, bis, back, or if i do one full muscle group then go on to the next.

Also remember that when doing legs, to correspong as well.

I like to keep my back, shoulders, bi's, hamstrings, calves to one day, chest tris, forearms, quads, hip flexor to another.

Again, always make sure to Correspong Muscle Groups.

Darkane
01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by jumperman8

This is not Correct, in order to see full gains and get a better work out you always work Corresponding Muscle Groups.

This is for many reasons, but lets just leave it at you get the maximum work out for the muscles.

If you find that after your chest workout you are to tired for tri's, why not do one exercise of chest one of tri's, if this tires you out, then lower the weight, because you are not strong enough to be doing the wieght you are.

Either or works, i still get maximum gains and a great work out when i do either chest then tri's then chest, or back, bis, back, or if i do one full muscle group then go on to the next.

Also remember that when doing legs, to correspong as well.

I like to keep my back, shoulders, bi's, hamstrings, calves to one day, chest tris, forearms, quads, hip flexor to another.

Again, always make sure to Correspong Muscle Groups.

You got it. By working Bi's and chest essentially your still working tri's on the day off. Vise versa for bi's. They wont grow as quick or effieiciently as chest/tri's together.

89coupe
01-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

CasperWho
01-11-2007, 04:46 PM
You want to workout your antagonist muscle.
Ex. Biceps and Triceps during the same workout.

lint
01-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Bullshit!

Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Why's that? When you do legs, do you do squats one day and leg extensions or hamstring curls on another?

USED1
01-11-2007, 05:08 PM
My split is Chest/Back, Shoulders/Legs, and Bi's/Tri's.

I do a day of cardio between each of the days.

89coupe
01-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Here is a great recipe for someone who wants to be serious about working out.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/bodybuilding-supplements-guides/weight-lifting-workout-guide-1.htm

CasperWho
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
I currently do :
Back / Shoulders
Bi's / Tri's / Chest
Legs / Core / Cardio

jumperman8
01-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Bullshit!

Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

You should really read up on stuff i think....

There are several ways to work out and gain mass.

Im just giving the every day, normal guy, looking to make some gains, but not become crazy.

If you want me to go into depth on a Body Building Program i coudl also do that for everyone. Or anythign else for that matter.

89coupe
01-12-2007, 09:42 AM

You should really read up on stuff i think....

There are several ways to work out and gain mass.

Im just giving the every day, normal guy, looking to make some gains, but not become crazy.

If you want me to go into depth on a Body Building Program i coudl also do that for everyone. Or anythign else for that matter.

No thanks, you can keep your body building tips to yourself. LOL:rofl:

GTS Jeff
01-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Everyone has their own thing. I like the idea of working complimentary muscle groups on the same day so that I kill them extra hard. I do chest one day, then tri-shouls the next day, then bi-back the day after, then legs is all one day.

The only thing is that I make sure I always do tris after chest and shoulders because I don't want those exercises to be hindered by tired tris. But after those workouts, when I go to do tri exercises, which are usually pretty isolating, then they're already half shot, so I don't have to waste as much time blasting them to complete exhaustion. Same thing applies with bi-back day.

Mckenzie
01-13-2007, 02:50 PM
I did the Back/Biceps, Chest/Triceps for a couple years and did see results.

However for the past 4 months, I have switched to Back, Triceps and Chest/Biceps for the reasons stated above. I was always too tired to biceps on back day after working the big muscle first and same with triceps on chest day. I am seeing more improvement in my strength from this and will continue to do so until I find a better reason to switch back. As I am pressed for time in the gym, I would rather get the most out of each muscle than workng one that is already tired.

As for as muscle recovery goes, maximum muscle recovery is about 48 hours after a work out so if you do those workouts on day 1 3 5 then you should be ok for not over training. As well, I have read that muscle growth is stimulated after one excercise (say three good sets) and that it is not efficient to keep bashing a muscle that is already tired. That is why Mens Health and other fitness authorities are advocating full body workouts instead of just doing 15 sets of the same muscle group.

My workout is as follows:

Legs/Back/Tri
Legs/Chest/Bi
Legs/Shoulders/Abs
Cardio/Core

I do either squats, deadlifts or lunges before each workout and will sometimes add in hamstring raises as well. Training legs are important to producing growth hormone needed for muscle growth and thats why I do them with every workout day. I have seen great results, going from 149 at the end of August to 168lbs in December, trying to stay as lean as possible and eat well.

So far so good...

pinoyhero
01-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Really depends on what your after. There is definetly a benefit to working antag groups for training programs including supersets. However an argument can also be made to work protag groups such as bi's and back as the bi's get some work/warm-up during back (you will be wweaker and not lift as much but you've still done "work"). Key for me is to focus on the big compound movements, and most others that are pretty serious about training would probably agree whether for physique, strength or otherwise. Gotta do bench, squats, deads and BB rows, the rest is just icing on the cake.

nhlfan
01-14-2007, 11:54 PM
shoulders-legs
back-biceps
chest-triceps

for me

pinoyhero
01-15-2007, 07:07 AM
^decent slpit but you are workig out upper body 5x more than lower body ... i fear that yer legs lagg from this

jumperman8
01-15-2007, 12:04 PM

No thanks, you can keep your body building tips to yourself. LOL:rofl:

Its funny because you realized you were wrong and figured the only way to keep your confidence up was try a horrible attempt at burning me.

Thanks.

89coupe
01-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

jumperman8
01-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
I did the Back/Biceps, Chest/Triceps for a couple years and did see results.

However for the past 4 months, I have switched to Back, Triceps and Chest/Biceps for the reasons stated above. I was always too tired to biceps on back day after working the big muscle first and same with triceps on chest day. I am seeing more improvement in my strength from this and will continue to do so until I find a better reason to switch back. As I am pressed for time in the gym, I would rather get the most out of each muscle than workng one that is already tired.

As for as muscle recovery goes, maximum muscle recovery is about 48 hours after a work out so if you do those workouts on day 1 3 5 then you should be ok for not over training. As well, I have read that muscle growth is stimulated after one excercise (say three good sets) and that it is not efficient to keep bashing a muscle that is already tired. That is why Mens Health and other fitness authorities are advocating full body workouts instead of just doing 15 sets of the same muscle group.

My workout is as follows:

Legs/Back/Tri
Legs/Chest/Bi
Legs/Shoulders/Abs
Cardio/Core

I do either squats, deadlifts or lunges before each workout and will sometimes add in hamstring raises as well. Training legs are important to producing growth hormone needed for muscle growth and thats why I do them with every workout day. I have seen great results, going from 149 at the end of August to 168lbs in December, trying to stay as lean as possible and eat well.

So far so good...

Those are some very serious gains, over 20 pounds in less then 6 months. Something seems to be going right.

It is important to do what you feel works for you. If doing alternate muscle groups works for you then do it. But at the same time you should keep in mind that even though you will be tired and not feel like you can life as much, this is good. that means that during your chest exercise your tris are getting a good work out as well. Just gives gives your tris a full work out throughout the entire workout.

But again, if your gaining that much wieght that quickly doing what your doing, keep it up!!

If interested you should try doing daily muscle groups, i think it was mentioned above.

Mon - Chest
Tues - Bis
Wed - Tris
Thurs - Back
Fri - Legs

Also doing core 3 out of the 5 days.

From reading what i did in your post, i would say you should also start up on more sets off higher reps.

Try doing 6 sets of 12, on a wieght that you can lift throughout the entire workout.

Example, say you bench 185, but struggle usually on your last sets. Put on 175, and lift that 12 times, 6 sets. AS you gain strength increase the amount of sets. until you get to 8, once at eight, increase the wieght and start again at 6!

See if you could get more great results out of that!!

jumperman8
01-15-2007, 12:12 PM

Are you kidding me. I'm not wrong.

Go right ahead and do your silly workout...LOL

Im sure your schooling backs you up on this as well.......:thumbsup:

Or just the Muscle Mags, and all those great websites you go to....

89coupe
01-15-2007, 12:19 PM

jumperman8
01-15-2007, 04:51 PM

LOL, let me guess, you are a professional body builder with a degree in Exercise Physiology?

LOL:rofl:

I dont think you notice everything you say is not funny. Why do you keep trying to cuss me out. It obviously is a poor attempt.

89coupe
01-16-2007, 10:09 AM

I dont think you notice everything you say is not funny. Why do you keep trying to cuss me out. It obviously is a poor attempt.

Obviously hey...LOL

Mckenzie
01-16-2007, 10:52 AM

Those are some very serious gains, over 20 pounds in less then 6 months. Something seems to be going right.

It is important to do what you feel works for you. If doing alternate muscle groups works for you then do it. But at the same time you should keep in mind that even though you will be tired and not feel like you can life as much, this is good. that means that during your chest exercise your tris are getting a good work out as well. Just gives gives your tris a full work out throughout the entire workout.

But again, if your gaining that much wieght that quickly doing what your doing, keep it up!!

If interested you should try doing daily muscle groups, i think it was mentioned above.

Mon - Chest
Tues - Bis
Wed - Tris
Thurs - Back
Fri - Legs

Also doing core 3 out of the 5 days.

From reading what i did in your post, i would say you should also start up on more sets off higher reps.

Try doing 6 sets of 12, on a wieght that you can lift throughout the entire workout.

Example, say you bench 185, but struggle usually on your last sets. Put on 175, and lift that 12 times, 6 sets. AS you gain strength increase the amount of sets. until you get to 8, once at eight, increase the wieght and start again at 6!

See if you could get more great results out of that!!

Thanks for that.

I'm gonna hit the weights again here next week after taking some time off over the holidays to rest up. I'm going to go at it again for another two months and see if I can break 170 (again).

It sounds like what you have suggested above is more of a strength building routine.

As for body part training, I do not have much time so I tend to combine body parts if I can. As well, full body workouts can hit all the muscle groups, ignite your metabolism and stimulate muscle growth in one shot...works for me if I am challenged for time.

jumperman8
01-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Thanks for that.

I'm gonna hit the weights again here next week after taking some time off over the holidays to rest up. I'm going to go at it again for another two months and see if I can break 170 (again).

It sounds like what you have suggested above is more of a strength building routine.

As for body part training, I do not have much time so I tend to combine body parts if I can. As well, full body workouts can hit all the muscle groups, ignite your metabolism and stimulate muscle growth in one shot...works for me if I am challenged for time.

Yes it is more of a strength building program, You will also see alot of gains using it though!

Time is everyones problem, mine as well. That is why i also stick to a set program.

Congrats on the gains though!

jumperman8
01-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Obviously hey...LOL

LOL...yet you still try.....too much:nut:

SiR_lyfe
02-08-2007, 11:55 AM
bi's tri's

thats bout it/

you can do chest and bi's and back and tri's though, even back and shoulders works

krisopotamus
02-15-2007, 02:26 PM
I do:
chest/tris
legs
day off
shoulders/traps/abs
back/bis
day off
day off

Wildcat
02-16-2007, 06:40 AM
chest/bi's
back/traps
off
delts/triceps
hams/quads
off
off

calves and forearms are done 3 times a week (spec on off days), abs when u feel like it.

thats the best offseason split hands down.

mvprimate
02-16-2007, 11:57 AM
I like doing chest/ tris together, a lot of excercises use them both(dips).

Same goes for back/bis.