PDA

View Full Version : Mount Royal University

Pages : [1] 2

cressida_pimpin
01-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Hopefully not a repost, but check it out. As of September 2007 Mount Royal will be offering many accredited university level bachelor degrees. No more U of L transfers!!

http://www.mtroyal.ca/in_motion/faq.shtml

Lo)2enz0
01-10-2007, 10:16 PM
so could i get my BA diploma and than transfer to mount royal :) and get my degree

camby
01-10-2007, 10:19 PM
It says programs could be offered as early as Fall 2007 which is good. Calgary needs more universities.

Kobe
01-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Yah it should be in full effect by 2008..

LuxCars
01-10-2007, 10:47 PM
BOOOO!!!
Its great for calgary to have 2 universities and all that shit but it sucks for all those who busted their asses and attained high marks to get into university to know that others at Mt.Royal who didnt work as hard can aquire university status degrees.

And just for the record this is not meant to hurt or insult all those at Mt.Royal because im sure some of them tried hard but still couldnt do it.

If i am mistaken with my information feel free to correct me but i know that many of my friends and many others who i have spoken to have agreed with what i state.

Bongo
01-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Tremendous. Let's water down the value of a degree even more than what it is now. Couldn't get into a university? go to MRC or similar and bust your ass to get into one if that's what you really think is important to you. Walmart is always hiring if things don't work out for you.

http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/potential.jpg

Chester
01-10-2007, 11:25 PM
:rofl: The marks to get into MRC's programs may not be as high but the classes are still just as hard as the university classes. All the dumbasses still get weeded out so its not like a bunch of idiots are going to be getting degrees.

00Celica
01-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Wow some of you take this shit way too seriously. Sorry to those of you who studied 18 hours a day in High School while some of us were actually trying to have a bit of fun. A degree is a degree, so what if it isn't from U of C?

cressida_pimpin
01-11-2007, 01:38 AM
As long as the degree is accredited, it doesn't matter where it comes from, as long as the school is relatively well known. Exceptions may exist such as McGill, Queens, and Ivy League schools in the states in which employers would place a premium on a candidate who obtains a degree from one of the mentioned institutions.

msommers
01-11-2007, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Chester
:rofl: The marks to get into MRC's programs may not be as high but the classes are still just as hard as the university classes. All the dumbasses still get weeded out so its not like a bunch of idiots are going to be getting degrees.

From all the students who I know who go/went there, it is because neither SAIT nor U of C would accept them. No offense but these guys weren't the smartest in high school, I don't even know how the hell they got into MRC. Unless something radical happened, from even students I know that go there, MRC is just like high school, by that I mean academically and socially.

EDIT: Once someone gets a job, I think it will be obvious who is the better employee and who deserves raises. Someone needs to be the low man on the totem pole:rofl:

Super_Geo
01-11-2007, 11:12 AM
I think it's good that MRC is going to be giving out degrees. It'll give more people access to higher education... how can that be a bad thing for society. I can't believe what I'm hearing from some of the UofC guys here... how does it affect you if MRC starts handing out degrees?

chris
01-11-2007, 11:24 AM
they have only submitted it for approval, which i doubt they will get especially for cmmb and health sci. They have been saying this for years anyways. You will need better marks to get into a degree program for sure

snade831
01-11-2007, 11:26 AM
I wish I could have stayed at MRC. I love that school and would way rather be there than in the Bridge! Missed it by 2 years.

Teggy
01-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by LuxCars
BOOOO!!!
Its great for calgary to have 2 universities and all that shit but it sucks for all those who busted their asses and attained high marks to get into university to know that others at Mt.Royal who didnt work as hard can aquire university status degrees.

And just for the record this is not meant to hurt or insult all those at Mt.Royal because im sure some of them tried hard but still couldnt do it.

If i am mistaken with my information feel free to correct me but i know that many of my friends and many others who i have spoken to have agreed with what i state.

WTF.....
you know i'm a student at MRC, and busted my ass in high school graduated with honors, applied to U of C, U of A, and MRC, (got in to all)but chose MRC because they had a better business program then the joke offered at U of C. And as a matter of fact their were students in my classes that had transferred from the u of c to mrc because of that reason.:guns: didn't bust our ass as hard...... I see that the students at U of C think very highly of themselves
Furthermore, At mrc i'm not just a number. When i have a lecture the class is about 24-30 students. The prof. gets to know you on a one on one bases. Ask somebody that goes to the lectures at the u of c, 300 - 400 students cramming themselves into the pit to listen to someone who dosen't give a rats ass who u are.

benyl
01-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by 00Celica
A degree is a degree, so what if it isn't from U of C?

You can get a Degree from Devry. You can get one from Athabasca. You can get one from the Univerisity of Phoenix without ever going to arizona.

A degree is not just a degree.

Super_Geo
01-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Teggy
I see that the students at U of C think very highly of themselves

Yeah I noticed that too... which is surprising considering how the rest of the country sees the UofC! ;)

Gondi Stylez
01-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Yeah I noticed that too... which is surprising considering how the rest of the country sees the UofC! ;)

:werd: U of C is a shithole and will continue to be until the end of time....

MRC is a great school and offers lots of oppurtunity... out of high school i applied to U of C, MRC, etc. and got in to both and still chose MRC because it is better than U of C IMHO and knew I wanted to transfer to U of A just didn't want to go right out of high school cuz I didn't want to live on Lister! haha! Even some of my profs at the time said after teaching at U of C and moving to MRC was the best move they could have done!

U of C people get over it :rolleyes:

Chandler_Racing
01-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by msommers

From all the students who I know who go/went there, it is because neither SAIT nor U of C would accept them. No offense but these guys weren't the smartest in high school, I don't even know how the hell they got into MRC. Unless something radical happened, from even students I know that go there, MRC is just like high school, by that I mean academically and socially.

EDIT: Once someone gets a job, I think it will be obvious who is the better employee and who deserves raises. Someone needs to be the low man on the totem pole:rofl:

I don't see how the UofC students get off thinking they're superior - atleast in the accounting program.

Several of the teachers - teach at both schools, and offer the same tests to show that MRC students are on par with UofC. If you think that piece of paper you possess is a meal ticket, you're in for a rude awakening.

cressida_pimpin
01-11-2007, 02:14 PM

You're kidding right? For most people work ethic has nothing to do with which institution they chose to attend. That piece of paper says what you "should have learned" and doesn't certify you as a highly motivated individual. I would be more concerned with the GPA's of graduates which more accurately reflects their intelligence and motivation. Once you get into the workplace and prove what you can do, employers aren't going to be concerned with your education. If an MRC graduate is a better employee in their position than a U of C grad, who is going to get the promotion? Thanks for coming out though

BrknFngrs
01-11-2007, 02:35 PM
...chose MRC because they had a better business program then the joke offered at U of C. And as a matter of fact their were students in my classes that had transferred from the u of c to mrc because of that reason.:guns:

I knew quite a few people from the U that transfered to business at mount royal that used the whole "im transfering out because there program is soooo much better" excuse. Funny part is they were really leaving cuz they couldn't cut it and were failing out :thumbsup:

msommers
01-11-2007, 03:06 PM

WTF.....
you know i'm a student at MRC, and busted my ass in high school graduated with honors, applied to U of C, U of A, and MRC, (got in to all)but chose MRC because they had a better business program then the joke offered at U of C. And as a matter of fact their were students in my classes that had transferred from the u of c to mrc because of that reason.:guns: didn't bust our ass as hard...... I see that the students at U of C think very highly of themselves
Furthermore, At mrc i'm not just a number. When i have a lecture the class is about 24-30 students. The prof. gets to know you on a one on one bases. Ask somebody that goes to the lectures at the u of c, 300 - 400 students cramming themselves into the pit to listen to someone who dosen't give a rats ass who u are.

Let me get this straight and I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. You spent money and time to apply to two universities, knowing fully well what they would be like, in case you didn't get into MRC? I don't mean to come off as a snob but something doesn't add up here.

For anyone that has had a 300+ student sized class, state you who you are. Out of all my intro classes in large theatres, the most in one class I have yet to see is maybe 200, maybe. I honestly don't understand what the big deal is anyways, even if there were 400 students. If you're asking questions constantly in a small or large class, people still get pissed off anyways so what's the difference? If you have a question, email your prof or go into talk to him/her during business hours.

I don't look down on anyone that goes to MRC or SAIT, just because I go to U of C. Seriously. You're not designated as a retard because you go there. But out of everyone I know that goes there, it is because they did not get accepted into university and are using a transfer type program to get in.

LuxCars
01-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by 00Celica
Wow some of you take this shit way too seriously. Sorry to those of you who studied 18 hours a day in High School while some of us were actually trying to have a bit of fun. A degree is a degree, so what if it isn't from U of C?

Actually i went out and partied every fiday and saturday..High school was a joke and thats the way it is. If you struggled in high school then you lack the minimal work ethic required and focus needed to survive in life.

WTF.....

1.Not all classes at UofC are 400 students like you think, in fact all my classes at UofC are approx 100 kids if not less. And the prof does try and help every one out as much as possible.
2. WOW, i cant believe you used the whole "im not just a number".
3. It may be possible but as stated, (and makes way more sense) its mainly due to the pressure of the university experience and probably not because the fact that MRC has a WAYYYY better business program.

Cant speak for the whole campus but UofC is getting really well known for their engg program due to the recent funds.

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

I knew quite a few people from the U that transfered to business at mount royal that used the whole "im transfering out because there program is soooo much better" excuse. Funny part is they were really leaving cuz they couldn't cut it and were failing out :thumbsup:

Exactly what he said, I have a few friends who are gonna leave the U because of the pressure.

Hakkola
01-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Chalk up another one for MRC. I've gotten student of the term, I was a very good student, and last semester I had a 3.7 gpa without trying at all. I'm a smart guy and I went to, and will continue to go to MRC.
I've gone to the UofC, that place is a shit hole.

Super_Geo
01-11-2007, 03:18 PM

Cant speak for the whole campus but UofC is getting really well known for their engg program due to the recent funds.

If you try to get an engineering job out East with a UofC degree it's an uphill battle. A buddy of mine from high school went to the UofC for eng and is hating the fact he didn't go to a more respected school. He had a 3.5ish GPA I think, and couldn't find work with a mech eng degree in the GTA for over a year.

If you're going into oil/gas it doesn't matter though, as it's really more of a 'what experience do you have' industry.

BrknFngrs
01-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Chalk up another one for MRC. I've gotten student of the term, I was a very good student, and last semester I had a 3.7 gpa without trying at all. I'm a smart guy and I went to, and will continue to go to MRC.

i wonder why people think mount royal is easier...im sure it has nothing do with putting in no effort and getting a 3.7 :rofl: :rofl:

Super_Geo
01-11-2007, 03:22 PM

From all the students who I know who go/went there, it is because neither SAIT nor U of C would accept them.

And for all the people I know who went to the UofC it was because Queen's, UofT, McGill, UBC, UofA, Waterloo or Western didn't accept them.

I can see where you're coming from, but isn't that the case with any university? There'll always be better ones, and worse ones.... so what?

Teggy
01-11-2007, 04:17 PM

Let me get this straight and I want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. You spent money and time to apply to two universities, knowing fully well what they would be like, in case you didn't get into MRC? I don't mean to come off as a snob but something doesn't add up here.

For anyone that has had a 300+ student sized class, state you who you are. Out of all my intro classes in large theatres, the most in one class I have yet to see is maybe 200, maybe. I honestly don't understand what the big deal is anyways, even if there were 400 students. If you're asking questions constantly in a small or large class, people still get pissed off anyways so what's the difference? If you have a question, email your prof or go into talk to him/her during business hours.

I don't look down on anyone that goes to MRC or SAIT, just because I go to U of C. Seriously. You're not designated as a retard because you go there. But out of everyone I know that goes there, it is because they did not get accepted into university and are using a transfer type program to get in.

actually yes, i applied for the u of c business classes and was accepted went to a few open houses and was impressed. Then a friend of mine had applied to mrc school of business. i went with him to check it out and was blown away by the difference in quality of the two programs.

Secondly, I have a few friends who are in the engineering programs at the u of c, and was told directly by them that they have had lecture with about 300- 400 students. i have had classmates in mrc that went to u of c telling me they had to sit in the on the steps in class because there wasn't enough seats.

Teggy
01-11-2007, 04:21 PM

thats no excuse, every year business school from across canada compete against eachother, look it up, find out where mrc placed, and look at where the uofc ended up. i'm not bashing the u of c as much as you think. The dean of the business department at mrc was a student of u of c, and he told me, and my entire class, that the business school at u of c is a skeleton compared to what it was 10 years ago

Teggy
01-11-2007, 04:26 PM
the only upsetting problem here is that there are some students at the u of c, who do think that all the students at mrc don't deserve the same education, and respect. Thats fine for all of you to think, but when it all comes down to it, its what you got from those programs that matters, not what some name on a piece of paper says.

LuxCars
01-11-2007, 04:28 PM

Secondly, I have a few friends who are in the engineering programs at the u of c, and was told directly by them that they have had lecture with about 300- 400 students. i have had classmates in mrc that went to u of c telling me they had to sit in the on the steps in class because there wasn't enough seats.

There is only one class that could possibly have that many students..but it does not reach 300.
ALSO. there is no class in engg that would allow him to be forced to sit on the steps...hes obviously over exagerating because all engg classes are specially designed to have less than 150 people per class. But as the year progresses people drop, withdraw, or completely switch out of the program. And there is no lecture for engg students that do not have enough room for students to sit in.

The only way that would be possible is when review sessions are in place.
And you cant blame that on UofC

Hakkola
01-11-2007, 04:30 PM

i wonder why people think mount royal is easier...im sure it has nothing do with putting in no effort and getting a 3.7 :rofl: :rofl:

actually when I got student of the term i put in no effort as well, I'm one of those people that doesn't have to study much to ace tests. The reason why I said that was to show I was smart enough to go to uofc but chose MRC instead. 2 of the smartest people I went to school with also attended MRC. :dunno:

LuxCars
01-11-2007, 04:35 PM

actually when I got student of the term i put in no effort as well, I'm one of those people that doesn't have to study much to ace tests. The reason why I said that was to show I was smart enough to go to uofc but chose MRC instead. 2 of the smartest people I went to school with also attended MRC. :dunno:

I am having a hard time believing what you say.
You are bending the truth, its very hard to believe that a smart person would choose a college over a university when they have the proper skills to go to university.
It would only make sence if the college offered a program that the university does not.

Teggy
01-11-2007, 04:44 PM

I am having a hard time believing what you say.
You are bending the truth, its very hard to believe that a smart person would choose a college over a university when they have the proper skills to go to university.
It would only make sence if the college offered a program that the university does not.

I'm sorry but what do u classify as a "smart person"?......
Now apparently U of C students are not only better, and deserve better then mrc students but, now know everything and anything about individual people everywhere. Hey what do u guys put in the water there???

Super_Geo
01-11-2007, 04:46 PM

:rolleyes:

So a likewise comparison would be that anyone who went to the UofC obviously got accepted nowhere else, cause as far as major city Canadian universities go UofC is seen as a bottom tier school.

Not everyone needs to go to University. It's very degree/career path dependent. What real doors would a English/Classics/Philosphy degree open? I would much rather go to SAIT for trades than a University for a bullshit B.A.

msommers
01-11-2007, 04:50 PM

And for all the people I know who went to the UofC it was because Queen's, UofT, McGill, UBC, UofA, Waterloo or Western didn't accept them.

Haha yes yes this is true for some. For me, I didn't want to move out of Calgary as I don't think res. would be the best place for me to be (ie: I'd get way too drunk all the time and forget about school!), living at home is free, food is free, my schooling is free, the school is a 20 minute bus ride and I don't need to work. For me, the only choice was U of C.

As for Mcleans and their rating system, even some of the top schools think their survey is BS. Another thing, when I was looking into medical schools, a lot of it seemed to be the aura or prestige of going to one school over the other, but neither were really "better" or "worse" when it really came down to the nitty-gritty of it. Everyone has their own personal opinion on what makes a school best suited to their needs. Personally, a prof should be available, willing to teach, seem motivated and cover all the material necessary to complete the course, not really sure what else there is left for them to do?!

For me, I'm happy at U of C. From my experience thus far, everything is at your fingertips in order to succeed. All but one of my profs have been more than willing to help me out and I don't feel claustrophobic in my classes, there are always empty seats. So in regards to Teggy mentioning the DISTINCT quality between the two schools, I'm not really sure what this entails.

pinoyhero
01-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Wow the UofC vs. MRC debate is getting heated ... my take is that you go to the school with the best program for what your after. If they both offer the same then go to the one that will give you the highest chance of landing in the career you are after once you get out. For the next while it will take Calgary employers a while to put the new university on par with UofC if for no other reason than it used to be one of the "other" place you could go after high school. If MRC or MRU really wants to establish itself it should focus on paying talent (which of course results in increased tuition) and increasing entrance standards to up the overall people quality of the institution. They can compete with UofC pretty quick if they can do that.

bluetek
01-11-2007, 04:55 PM
:hijack: This thread got out of hand fast.

Werd to the couple of posts above me. Oh and Luxy boy I am so proud that you possess the proper skills so that you can attend university. The way you are talking sounds like you are so proud to be going to the UofC. Thats good and all but the U is not all that great and wonderful. Sounds to me that your just another typical closed minded young U student, and your prolly in your first year of studies too.

I cant really say much because I completed my post secondary education back in the east although did take a securities course through Mount Royal and have nothing but good things to say about that place. Also my cousin has attended both schools (currently at the UofC), and has commented that classes were very similiar in relation to workload, and exams.

Speedy
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Its sad to see people putting such an importance on what bloody school you attend.

Heres a secret most people learn after post-secondary education...

Success has nothing to do with a peice of paper! what makes some one sucessful is intellegence (not gained from a school, schools teach knowledge) motivation and drive to suceed.

I personally know alot of people that didnt even graduate high school and are very sucessful not in just that they are doing what they want but making more money then most experianced graduates will ever, especially in the field of technology.

Looking down on someone for where they go is a very small minded attitude and will do nothing to advance you in this world.

msommers
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM

I just saw this now. What exactly qualified you as "student of the term" and you getting a 3.7! They must have considered you not studying/trying at all and were astonished at how well you succeeded. :rofl: Bravo sir, Bravo

sexualbanana
01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
As a recent grad with a BComm from U of C, I don't think it's such a big deal that MRC is accredited now. A little competition never hurt anybody, if anything it will encourage both schools to work harder to provide a better student experience.

I know people from both schools who don't like where they are. Either they think the school is not providing the necessary services, or the necessary knowledge that they want.

Teggy
01-11-2007, 05:02 PM
msommers ^^^

I'm happy that your happy. More importantly, i'm happy with your choice. I'm happy you get free food, and a 20min bus ride to school, i'm happy that all your choices in life are getting you what you really want. So excuse me, excuse me for speaking my opinion, and my choice at what i felt was a better chance to succeed in my lifes plans and ambitions. so msommers i will let you enjoy your overpriced, and overrated education, according to mcleans that is, amnd i will enjoy mine.:thumbsup:

Lo)2enz0
01-11-2007, 05:05 PM
I know a couple of people who transfered out of the u of c and went to either mrc or sait

kind of says something. after i get my diploma i plan on heading back to mrc, i love that school

sexualbanana
01-11-2007, 05:07 PM

In the U of C's defence, this happens because of multiple lectures, regardless of how big the class is. People will sign up for the 8am lecture, then skip it to go to the 1pm lecture in the same room. I don't know if this happens at Mt Royal, but I think I can safely assume that it does because 8am is very early for a lot of post-secondary students.

I've seen this happen in my 200+ student classes to my 30-person classes. So it's not specific to class size

camby
01-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by bluetek

Werd to the couple of posts above me. Oh and Luxy boy I am so proud that you possess the proper skills so that you can attend university. The way you are talking sounds like you are so proud to be going to the UofC. Thats good and all but the U is not all that great and wonderful. Sounds to me that your just another typical closed minded young U student, and your prolly in your first year of studies too.

I cant really say much because I completed my post secondary education back in the east although did take a securities course through Mount Royal and have nothing but good things to say about that place. Also my cousin has attended both schools (currently at the UofC), and has commented that classes were very similiar in relation to workload, and exams.

I think Lux is a stereotypical engineering student.

Like mentioned above, I don't understand why people are bashing MRC and all the students at MRC. Some of you are just way too pretentious. Another university in town is a good sign.

Hakkola
01-11-2007, 05:11 PM

I just saw this now. What exactly qualified you as "student of the term" and you getting a 3.7! They must have considered you not studying/trying at all and were astonished at how well you succeeded. :rofl: Bravo sir, Bravo

Not student of term at MRC. :rolleyes: I didn't like the environment at UofC, and to be honest I was just studying for the sake of studying, I enjoy the gym at mount royal and the fact that the equipment we were using was newer. I took Comp Sci classes at both MRC and UofC and found the MRC classes to be much more enjoyable.

UofC is good for some degrees, but for classes tranferable between UofC and MRC, MRC is the place to take them, IMO.

msommers
01-11-2007, 05:12 PM
msommers ^^^

I'm happy that your happy. More importantly, i'm happy with your choice. I'm happy you get free food, and a 20min bus ride to school, i'm happy that all your choices in life are getting you what you really want. So excuse me, excuse me for speaking my opinion, and my choice at what i felt was a better chance to succeed in my lifes plans and ambitions. so msommers i will let you enjoy your overpriced, and overrated education, according to mcleans that is, amnd i will enjoy mine.:thumbsup:

Why thanks ya sarcastic jack ass. It didn't take long for me to understand what your stance was on anyone that goes to university, regardless if it was U of C or Harvard. I already mentioned my stance in a clear, brief statement. Don't hate on someone that sees it from both sides, despite you not believing me.

Regardless, I was simply re-enforcing the point that it is personal choice and what makes you happy.

You still failed to mentioned what the big differences between the schools were that you personally experienced! Hate on me all you want, but you mentioned that there are distinct differences between the quality of schooling. Enlighten me.

Super_Geo
01-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by camby

Like mentioned above, I don't understand why people are bashing MRC and all the students at MRC. Some of you are just way too pretentious. Another university in town is a good sign.

It's cause he's from the UofC and therefore have never had the oppertunity to look down at any other university (with the possible exception of the UofL)... haha so this is a new thing for them. Let them have their moment ;)

msommers
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM

Not student of term at MRC. :rolleyes:

Does it matter where it was at! What exactly qualifies you for student of the term. Please read what I asked you.

bradwatson
01-11-2007, 05:16 PM
In my opinion, the status of MRC as a university depends on which programs the students are taking. For someone like myself, I'm taking biological sciences, which is pre-medicine. I don't know if a similar program is offered at MRC, but you can bet your ass that an actual degree from U of C is better than a "diploma" from MRC. Now, when considering programs of study such as business, management, accounting, etc, they will be more comparable.

Just my $0.02

Hakkola
01-11-2007, 05:20 PM

Does it matter where it was at! What exactly qualifies you for student of the term. Please read what I asked you.

Best marks at the school I suppose, being involved with sports, and being generally awesome? I don't know, it's not like I applied for it and gave reasons why I should have won it. I don't see why I should be giving these reasons to you anyway, I'm just trying to prove the point that intelligent people frequent MRC as well.

Originally posted by bradwatson
In my opinion, the status of MRC as a university depends on which programs the students are taking. For someone like myself, I'm taking biological sciences, which is pre-medicine. I don't know if a similar program is offered at MRC, but you can bet your ass that an actual degree from U of C is better than a "diploma" from MRC. Now, when considering programs of study such as business, management, accounting, etc, they will be more comparable.

Just my $0.02
I completely agree, a degree is of course always better than a diploma. :)

WWJAI
01-11-2007, 05:42 PM

Haha yes yes this is true for some. For me, I didn't want to move out of Calgary as I don't think res. would be the best place for me to be (ie: I'd get way too drunk all the time and forget about school!), living at home is free, food is free, my schooling is free, the school is a 20 minute bus ride and I don't need to work. For me, the only choice was U of C.

You do realize that U of C is not for everybody who has the opportunity to attend? Some of us actually don't get everything handed to us in life like you do. We have to work jobs and pay for school/rent not allowing us to succeed as much as you do in your fabulous institution. Reason why many ppl don't succeed in U is because you need to base all your free time on studying and not having much of a social life or having a job. Not to mention that not everybody has the type of money to afford U courses. It's good that you chose U of C but for those of us who don't attend that school, we're not all lower than you just because we don't choose your path. We see other opportunities with other schools.

msommers
01-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI
Some of us actually don't get everything handed to us in life like you do. .....It's good that you chose U of C but for those of us who don't attend that school, we're not all lower than you just because we don't choose your path. We see other opportunities with other schools.

Well I'm glad you can judge me, and know everything about my life. Since you couldn't be more wrong, allow me to inform you.

I worked up north making a lot of money, doing a career I thought I would like(electrician) and hated it. So I decided to go back to school. I was home maybe one week a month, living at home, having to pay rent, for a weeks time but enough for the entire month. I sold my awesome car that I had bough myself to pay for school, a really hard choice. I paid for my first year. That year went by. My mom saw that I was dedicated and decided that I deserved to have school paid for me, not a fucking hand out like you make it out to be. She thinks it is important for me to be in school and totally focus. By the way, I had money saved up and wanted to buy a skyline. Guess what she said. If you have enough money for that car, you can pay for school too. So I don't even have a car. I'm not a little prick who gets everything in the world. Don't label me when you have no fucking clue.

Secondly, there is nowhere I said I looked down on anyone that doesn't go to U of C, you fucking moron. I explicitly said exactly this, in a separate paragraph even:

"I don't look down on anyone that goes to MRC or SAIT, just because I go to U of C. Seriously. You're not designated as a retard because you go there. But out of everyone I know that goes there, it is because they did not get accepted into university and are using a transfer type program to get in."

Just because I'm defending the school I go to because I like it there, a bunch of you are automatically assuming because I a defending my school, it means that I hate your school. For those of you who think so, give you a head a shake. I don't know what's it like at MRC, only what my friends have told me. Likewise for those at MRC that have friends at U of C. I couldn't be more clear previously about how different people have different needs, and neither makes you better or worse.

LuxCars
01-11-2007, 06:23 PM

I'm sorry but what do u classify as a "smart person"?......
Now apparently U of C students are not only better, and deserve better then mrc students but, now know everything and anything about individual people everywhere. Hey what do u guys put in the water there???

Dude you obviously didnt read what hokkola and me have been talking about....read it and then ask your questions.
He mentioned smart person so i am just using the same terms he is using.

Teggy
01-11-2007, 06:27 PM

Well I'm glad you can judge me, and know everything about my life. Since you couldn't be more wrong, allow me to inform you.

I worked up north making a lot of money, doing a career I thought I would like(electrician) and hated it. So I decided to go back to school. I was home maybe one week a month, living at home, having to pay rent, for a weeks time but enough for the entire month. I sold my awesome car that I had bough myself to pay for school, a really hard choice. I paid for my first year. That year went by. My mom saw that I was dedicated and decided that I deserved to have school paid for me, not a fucking hand out like you make it out to be. She thinks it is important for me to be in school and totally focus. By the way, I had money saved up and wanted to buy a skyline. Guess what she said. If you have enough money for that car, you can pay for school too. So I don't even have a car. I'm not a little prick who gets everything in the world. Don't label me when you have no fucking clue.

Secondly, there is nowhere I said I looked down on anyone that doesn't go to U of C, you fucking moron. I explicitly said exactly this, in a separate paragraph even:

"I don't look down on anyone that goes to MRC or SAIT, just because I go to U of C. Seriously. You're not designated as a retard because you go there. But out of everyone I know that goes there, it is because they did not get accepted into university and are using a transfer type program to get in."

Just because I'm defending the school I go to because I like it there, a bunch of you are automatically assuming because I a defending my school, it means that I hate your school. For those of you who think so, give you a head a shake. I don't know what's it like at MRC, only what my friends have told me. Likewise for those at MRC that have friends at U of C. I couldn't be more clear previously about how different people have different needs, and neither makes you better or worse.

hold on there my u of c misunderstood student. Don't judge you, how can you say that when you yourself stated that mrc students don't work hard enough to get any respect.

Furthermore, you were interested in the differences in schools, well how about smaller class sizes, how about the fact i was one of 96 open chairs in the whole program. how about the fact they support the idea of group study, and in class work habits rather then everyone for themselves. how about the fact that the year before i attended mrc the school came second only to ubc in that competition i had mentioned earlier. Lets see how about a dean who has owned a few small business ventures of his own. how about a BA in small business. how about university level classes for maybe half the price. so please leave it at that those were my choices and mrc fell under what i believed was a better learniing environment.

Teggy
01-11-2007, 06:35 PM
msommers
"Secondly, there is nowhere I said I looked down on anyone that doesn't go to U of C, you fucking moron. I explicitly said exactly this, in a separate paragraph even:"
"
"From all the students who I know who go/went there, it is because neither SAIT nor U of C would accept them. No offense but these guys weren't the smartest in high school, I don't even know how the hell they got into MRC. Unless something radical happened, from even students I know that go there, MRC is just like high school, by that I mean academically and socially.

EDIT: Once someone gets a job, I think it will be obvious who is the better employee and who deserves raises. Someone needs to be the low man on the totem pole"

your right msommer we shouldn't judge:bullshit:

LuxCars
01-11-2007, 06:50 PM
...Not everyone needs to go to University. It's very degree/career path dependent. What real doors would a English/Classics/Philosphy degree open? I would much rather go to SAIT for trades than a University for a bullshit B.A.

I deff agree with your comment and that is why such schools exist. IT is the same as stating the obvious fact that office jobs are not for everyone and that many people enjoy the working trades and experiencing the hands on type of work.

Originally posted by bluetek

I am defending the school because I am provided with many resources and opportunities to allow me to succeed...For this reason i am very please with the schools performance and all it attributes.

Originally posted by Speedy

Success has nothing to do with a peice of paper! what makes some one sucessful is intellegence (not gained from a school, schools teach knowledge) motivation and drive to suceed.

I personally know alot of people that didnt even graduate high school and are very sucessful not in just that they are doing what they want but making more money then most experianced graduates will ever, especially in the field of technology.

Looking down on someone for where they go is a very small minded attitude and will do nothing to advance you in this world.

1. Due to society and the way the world is functioning "this piece of paper" does have great importance to your success.
2. I completely agree with the fact that many people are not school oriented and can much better succeed on their own then spend wasted time in school. And many of them do really well at that and become very successful.
3. Just so i can make it clear, i am not looking down on ANYONE who goes to MRC or any other higher learning educational infrastructure, its actually great that they are in school and learning to do what they want then drop out and not go back to school. Thats why its great to have MRC, but (this might sound capitalist) sometimes there should be a separation for those who wish to do more work and enrich themselves fully. (not saying i want to do that but in this case UofC just seemed like the obvious path to follow). For proof things like Harvard, MIT and people like Bill Gates, Donald Trump exist for a reason and it almost serves as and encouragement to do better, and reach high.

Originally posted by camby

Agreed, another university in town is a very good sign, and no one is necessarily bashing students or MRC (well i am not) i am just expressing my opinion from what i observe and what i see when it comes to those who go to UofC and those who choose to go to MRC. Ive had this conversation with so many of my friends and many of them share the same feeling weather they be from college or university.

It's cause he's from the UofC and therefore have never had the oppertunity to look down at any other university (with the possible exception of the UofL)... haha so this is a new thing for them. Let them have their moment ;)

And again, im not looking down on anyone, but sometimes its great to establish levels of success.

msommers
01-11-2007, 06:52 PM
msommers
"Secondly, there is nowhere I said I looked down on anyone that doesn't go to U of C, you fucking moron. I explicitly said exactly this, in a separate paragraph even:"
"
"From all the students who I know who go/went there, it is because neither SAIT nor U of C would accept them. No offense but these guys weren't the smartest in high school, I don't even know how the hell they got into MRC. Unless something radical happened, from even students I know that go there, MRC is just like high school, by that I mean academically and socially.

EDIT: Once someone gets a job, I think it will be obvious who is the better employee and who deserves raises. Someone needs to be the low man on the totem pole"

Uh sigh. I said I don't know what it's like at MRC there buddy, only from the people I know who go there. Just because you go there, and may be the brightest, doesn't mean everyone else is. In the same breath, my friends at MRC applied to MRC and U of C, and are at MRC, so that speaks for itself. The admission requirements must be lower. But you're assuming I think then, that everyone there is an idiot, in which case I do not. Again, I emphasize, it is only the people I know that go there, not you personally, so get over it.

About the job situation, again you assume things and always for the worst. You can perceive it however you wish. At the same time, you make it out that I am a complete idiot for wanting to go U of C and you can't deny it as your posts are pretty clear. However I don't explode in your face because you go to a different school. Get over yourself buddy, I'm not the arrogant prick you assume I am because I go to university.

LuxCars
01-11-2007, 06:53 PM
msommers
"

I wouldnt necessarily classify that as judging but more as proof of the matter.
There are divisions in life and there is no way to ignore them, thats why some people strive for excellence and some people settle for bare minimum. Its obvious fact that cannot be argued.

Whitetiger
01-11-2007, 07:24 PM
:drama:

'93 SR-V
01-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Wow, there's a lot of undue tension in this thread! I can see how U of C students who "busted their asses" might feel a little cheated here, but there's no need to be at each other's throats here!

MRC being able to offer degree programs will help reduce the strain on the university. U of C currently turns away about 1/2 of those who apply and I heard that the U of A is something like 2/3. Now not all of these people are being turned away because they're to stupid or unmotivated to succeed, it's because they had a 86% average and needed a 89%... even though 5-7 years ago a 78% would land you a spot!

The city is experiencing a high rate of growth and the truth is that the university can't keep up, as a result many people can't get into the programs they want to. As for MRC being full of people who didn't make the U of C cut, that's partially true, but many of those people have marks that would get them into other universities, but given Calgary's situation, they're out of luck, and so yes, MRC is their "plan b".

Also, MRC does offer some good programs that are nothing to be looked down on. Furthermore the class sizes and structure of MRC can be an asset when it comes to getting an education. In my case my father (who got his MBA from Queens), as well as many other people I've talked to have spoken well of the MRC business program (that I'm in), as well as other programs offered from other universities that aren't the "all mighty" U of C.

The final point that I'd like to bring up is that higher education helps society as a whole, and with that in mind it's in everybody's best interest that all those who wish to pursue a degree have a fair shot at it... When did the letters embroidered on your sweater become such a big damn deal here people? If you get your degree from U of C and you think that makes you that much better, then good for you, keep walking around like your shit doesn't stink! And if you get a degree from MRC instead, then guess what, you still have your degree!

LuxCars
01-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by '93 SR-V

The city is experiencing a high rate of growth and the truth is that the university can't keep up, as a result many people can't get into the programs they want to. As for MRC being full of people who didn't make the U of C cut, that's partially true, but many of those people have marks that would get them into other universities, but given Calgary's situation, they're out of luck, and so yes, MRC is their "plan b".

Also, MRC does offer some good programs that are nothing to be looked down on. Furthermore the class sizes and structure of MRC can be an asset when it comes to getting an education. In my case my father (who got his MBA from Queens), as well as many other people I've talked to have spoken well of the MRC business program (that I'm in), as well as other programs offered from other universities that aren't the "all mighty" U of C.

The final point that I'd like to bring up is that higher education helps society as a whole, and with that in mind it's in everybody's best interest that all those who wish to pursue a degree have a fair shot at it... When did the letters embroidered on your sweater become such a big damn deal here people? If you get your degree from U of C and you think that makes you that much better, then good for you, keep walking around like your shit doesn't stink! And if you get a degree from MRC instead, then guess what, you still have your degree!

You bring up good points, but as everyone in this thread has stated they were both accepted to UofC and MRC, and chose MRC so that makes your first paragraph that i quoted impractical as an argument in this case.

The advantage of the smaller class sizes are a great help to everyone, who wouldnt want the prof to favour them and give them extra help all the time and be all "buddy buddy" toward them. But if you want to give them a university status degree, give them a university setting. This way its equal for every one and those taking business at UofC wont feel cheaped out because they have it much different than those elsewhere.

So then according to you last paragraph those who graduate from Harvard, MIT, etc.. shouldnt feel proud because people at a college have the same degree and should be considered to have the same knowledge and understanding.

Ps..im sure everyone's shit stinks, havent encountered anyones whos doesnt stink.:devil:

ninspeed
01-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I think it's good that MRC is going to be giving out degrees. It'll give more people access to higher education... how can that be a bad thing for society.

If everybody has a higher education, who is going to flip burgers, poor coffey, or cut your grass?

LuxCars
01-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed

If everybody has a higher education, who is going to flip burgers, poor coffee, or cut your grass?

There are divisions in life and there is no way to ignore them, thats why some people strive for excellence and some people settle for bare minimum. Its obvious fact that cannot be argued.

msommers
01-11-2007, 08:27 PM

If everybody has a higher education, who is going to flip burgers, poor coffey, or cut your grass?

Well the Americans are using Mexicans and aren't afraid to admit it either!!

PaleRider
01-12-2007, 02:10 AM

that's why we attract immigrants with PhDs/Masters...

sexualbanana
01-12-2007, 10:23 AM
The advantage of the smaller class sizes are a great help to everyone, who wouldnt want the prof to favour them and give them extra help all the time and be all "buddy buddy" toward them. But if you want to give them a university status degree, give them a university setting. This way its equal for every one and those taking business at UofC wont feel cheaped out because they have it much different than those elsewhere.

You make it sound like EVERY class at the U of C is 200+. It's not, and it totally depends on the class.

You make it sound like profs at the U of C don't give a shit about students because every class is 200+. They're not. I've gone out for drinks with profs before in almost all my classes. From my mandatory classes of 40 to my elective classes of 200+. All that matters is you put in the effort and use the resources available to you. Profs notice these kinds of things.

Teggy
01-12-2007, 10:43 AM

so what your saying that is some one with lesser education can not find a great job and have a better quality of life. so when my grandparents came here from italy 50 years ago with a grade 3 education they were doomed to fail. well thats funny, because the business they started 35 years ago is still around, the business my parents started 20 years ago is still around and they had no post secondary schooling what so ever. All i'm saying is not to judge somebody as a less dedicated individual because he/she is not a university student.

sexualbanana
01-12-2007, 11:01 AM
All i'm saying is not to judge somebody as a less dedicated individual because he/she is not a university student.

Then you s hould not be so quick to judge somebody to be an spoiled, arrogant brat because he/she is a university student.

caffeine
01-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by '93 SR-V
Now not all of these people are being turned away because they're to stupid or unmotivated to succeed, it's because they had a 86% average and needed a 89%... even though 5-7 years ago a 78% would land you a spot!

You're a fucking idiot.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/admission_requirements/admission_criteria_avg.html#final_admission_averages

The highest entry average requirements last year were ~82%. 86% would get you into any faculty for sure. So you just lost all whatever credibility you had.

sexualbanana
01-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by caffeine

You're a fucking idiot.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/admission_requirements/admission_criteria_avg.html#final_admission_averages

The highest entry average requirements last year were ~82%. 86% would get you into any faculty for sure. So you just lost all whatever credibility you had.

There was a stretch about 4-5 years ago when the U of C switched from requiring 2 years of pre-program to direct-entry into the faculty straight out of high school, when the required average skyrocketed to mid-high 80's

Super_Geo
01-12-2007, 11:30 AM
And again, im not looking down on anyone, but sometimes its great to establish levels of success.

You can tell different levels of success not knowing anything about the person except the instituation they went to?

So therefore: I went to Queen's and you went to the UofC, thus I am smarter and more successful than you. When I walk by you, you should hold your breath so you don't waste precious oxygen that I could be using to fuel this gem of a brain of mine. When we hit the workplace (as someone from the UofC put it), you will know of the success totem pole and how it feels to be at the bottom, while my friends from Queen's, UofT and McGill laugh it up at the top thinking "oh if only you could get into one of Canada's top schools, and not the UofC, which is everyone else's 3rd string backup, maybe you wouldn't be pouring my coffee"

:rolleyes: If I went around spouting that shit I would come off arrogant as shit. That's how you guys from the UofC look right now. I can't believe some of you are upset that MRC might turn into MRU... so what?? That changes nothing about your university degree or mine... all it means is there's one more instituation out there. Why the fuck are so many of your panties in a knot?

idriveabox
01-12-2007, 11:34 AM
MRC and UofL FTW! I'll take smaller class sizes any day.

Hakkola
01-12-2007, 11:50 AM

I think people who don't know how to spell coffee should be the ones "pooring" it. ;) Haha, sorry, nothing personal.

thinmyster
01-12-2007, 11:50 AM
A's at mrc get you C's at u of c

true story

Nav13
01-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I was an unclassified student and both mtroyal and uofc last year, so I have experienced both institutions at the same time. First off I would like to clear up, and I am not sure if this was due to the fact that I was unclassified student, but I dont think it should matter, but prices per course were pretty much the same at both places, infact I believe it was slightly more expensive at mtroyal.

On the topic of class sizes. Mtroyal definently had smaller class sizes. My chem 2201 course had about 40-50 in the class, where as phys 211 had about 100-150. The reason I compared these two classes is because they both are jr. science courses. Anyways this class size issue is bs quite frankly. There are some people who are not intimidated by large classes and ask questions all the time, and then there are those like me who never ask questions, even if the class has only 10 people in it. In both institutions if you have a question theres more then enough ways to get them anwsered, one way simply being, asking the prof at the end of the class. In the end it comes down to the student and how far he/she is willing to go to get some help.

Anyways I think Mtroyal being able to give out degrees would be great, even for UofC students. I mean, the U is not horrible by any means but considering that grades and costs required to gain admission are on par with some of the top ranked universities, your not really getting the best out of your efforts and money invested. If this goes through and Mtroyal starts giving out degrees it will only force the uofc to improve itself. Right now the uofc has got a monopoly on this city and has a never ending line of customers which only means bad things for us current and future students.

But hey, I may be a little biased, since I am trying to get a degree in Geophyciscs and as far as I am aware Mtroyal does not offer this. But if your a business student, I can see why this bothers you, but its just going to make you step it up some more and in the end should make you better at what ever your trying to do.

Nav13
01-12-2007, 12:03 PM
woops meant to edit clicked on quote.

sexualbanana
01-12-2007, 01:13 PM

I think people who don't know how to spell coffee should be the ones "pooring" it. ;) Haha, sorry, nothing personal.

Haha. Nice work, Hakk. Like I said in one of my previous points. The accreditation if Mt Royal isn't that big of a deal. It's just another school. The only people who feel threatened about this, I think, are those who slack around at school and do bare minimum for their degree (and yes, there are those in university that do this. Just less than high school), then expect special treatment because they have a Bachelor's degree and the other person doesn't.

Si_FlyGuy
01-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I get the feeling that the people against MRC's accreditation are pompous insecure pricks.

MRC has been offering university level education for years now, including programs leading to accounting designations. Their quality of instruction is comparable, and they provide a better overall student experience. Best of all, they're more fiscally responsible than the cry-babies at the U of C. I would've probably chosen to graduate from there if they were accredited back then.

This issue is moot. Calgary is desperately in need of another university; we're simply denying too many qualified individuals of much deserved education. In order to maintain our blossoming economy, it is in the city's best interest to help in bringing more educated workers into the workforce. Those that are crying about their U of C degree being worth less are missing the big picture.

In the end, a degree just shows your commitment to that profession, or at least your ability to grasp new concepts quickly. It doesn't guarantee you success, nor does it ensure preferential treatment in the workforce. There are other factors that are more important, which means that after a few years in your work force (and your true value to the employer has been ascertained), the degree is worth as much as the paper you wipe your ass with. So really, what's the beef?

cressida_pimpin
01-12-2007, 02:18 PM

I think people who don't know how to spell coffee should be the ones "pooring" it. ;) Haha, sorry, nothing personal. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

gsus
01-12-2007, 02:57 PM
yeah good news that there will be more opportunity for more people to be more accredited, but I do think that the people who get to be involved in the University level courses at MRC should deserve it (as i bet their is some sort of system).

The only thing that pisses me off about people that go to MRC is when they tell people that they are getting a "Degree" there, but they aren't, you get degrees from UNIVERSITY. To clear up you get APPLIED DEGREES from MRC.

Obviously there is a huge difference between a University and a college, therefor no one can state that MRC students deserve the same respect as people who strive** at U of C.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by gsus

Obviously there is a huge difference between a University and a college, therefor no one can state that MRC students deserve the same respect as people who strive** at U of C.

So you won't give the same amount of respect to a person, just because they've chosen a different campus? You are a fool.

I've taken courses at both institutions, and I can tell you straight out that MRC treats its student far better than UofC. MRC is funded by tuition, and that money goes towards education. The UofC, however, is primarily a research university. The people lauding the UofC like it's some sort or Harvard need to wake up. In the real world, both MRC and UofC are so low down the scale that having a degree from either will give you zero "prestige" when you go looking for a job.

l8braker
01-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Too many small-time elitists in this thread.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

There was a stretch about 4-5 years ago when the U of C switched from requiring 2 years of pre-program to direct-entry into the faculty straight out of high school, when the required average skyrocketed to mid-high 80's

Huh?

I got in U of C with a utter shit average (not in arts)! Now I'm in UBC haha suckers.

It's sad when UofC has to compare itself with MRC and not with other unis, UofA, UBC, etc

three.eighteen.
01-12-2007, 07:20 PM
hmm, as a bcomm transfer from mrc -> u of c, i enjoyed the experience way more at mrc, teachers were cooler, classes/students were more ready to socialize, and the A's were like fries, they just came with the meal...

i think the real problem that the u of c students are experiencing is that the effort required to get an A in U of C is far higher than that to get an A at MRC, and need some kind of justification (i.e. if it's harder my degree must be worth more)...believe me i feel a little slighted too

that being said, there isn't much one can do. For those U of C students who simply frown on the MRC experience, I'd urge you to try a semester there, just to make your judgements valid, it really was a great school, and I wish I could go back

msommers
01-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
hmm, as a bcomm transfer from mrc -> u of c, i enjoyed the experience way more at mrc, teachers were cooler, classes/students were more ready to socialize, and the A's were like fries, they just came with the meal...

i think the real problem that the u of c students are experiencing is that the effort required to get an A in U of C is far higher than that to get an A at MRC, and need some kind of justification (i.e. if it's harder my degree must be worth more)...believe me i feel a little slighted too

that being said, there isn't much one can do. For those U of C students who simply frown on the MRC experience, I'd urge you to try a semester there, just to make your judgements valid, it really was a great school, and I wish I could go back

That is fair and well put.

LuxCars
01-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

You make it sound like EVERY class at the U of C is 200+. It's not, and it totally depends on the class.

You make it sound like profs at the U of C don't give a shit about students because every class is 200+. They're not. I've gone out for drinks with profs before in almost all my classes. From my mandatory classes of 40 to my elective classes of 200+. All that matters is you put in the effort and use the resources available to you. Profs notice these kinds of things.

K if you really want to post in this thread could you at least read the previous comments and understand what people are saying.
I have blantantly said that many classes at the UofC are less than 200..infact i have stated that they are roughly 100.
And i also clearly said that prof's at UofC try and help out their students as much as possible.
Please read, before posting.

so what your saying that is some one with lesser education can not find a great job and have a better quality of life. so when my grandparents came here from italy 50 years ago with a grade 3 education they were doomed to fail. well thats funny, because the business they started 35 years ago is still around, the business my parents started 20 years ago is still around and they had no post secondary schooling what so ever. All i'm saying is not to judge somebody as a less dedicated individual because he/she is not a university student.

Actually thats not what i am saying at all..Ive mentioned before that there are many people who do not need post secondary education and are very well off themselves to do their own things and become very successful. You are mis-understanding me.
But there are those who do not put in the effort and they are the ones who are so called "burger flippers". And that is where the separation in the economy comes in.
Obviously not everyone is cut out to run businesses or million/billion dollar companies.

You can tell different levels of success not knowing anything about the person except the instituation they went to?

So therefore: I went to Queen's and you went to the UofC, thus I am smarter and more successful than you. When I walk by you, you should hold your breath so you don't waste precious oxygen that I could be using to fuel this gem of a brain of mine. When we hit the workplace (as someone from the UofC put it), you will know of the success totem pole and how it feels to be at the bottom, while my friends from Queen's, UofT and McGill laugh it up at the top thinking "oh if only you could get into one of Canada's top schools, and not the UofC, which is everyone else's 3rd string backup, maybe you wouldn't be pouring my coffee"

:rolleyes: If I went around spouting that shit I would come off arrogant as shit. That's how you guys from the UofC look right now. I can't believe some of you are upset that MRC might turn into MRU... so what?? That changes nothing about your university degree or mine... all it means is there's one more instituation out there. Why the fuck are so many of your panties in a knot?

First off, it is very evident and normal for people to classify other people by their institution. IF you were the owner of a successful company and two students approached you, one with a UofL degree and one with a Harvard degree.. you can honestly say that you look at them equally and say that the person who went to UofL worked as hard and did as much as the person who went to Harvard.
And when it comes to degree's the only success we are talking about is weather you graduate from A or B with which degree. What you do in your lifetime is up to you and can allow you (if the right skills are aquired) to become whatever you want to be.

And i dont wear panties :rofl: (thought id try and throw in a little humour to lighten up the mood, but this is a very debatable topic)

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

So you won't give the same amount of respect to a person, just because they've chosen a different campus? You are a fool.

I've taken courses at both institutions, and I can tell you straight out that MRC treats its student far better than UofC. MRC is funded by tuition, and that money goes towards education. The UofC, however, is primarily a research university. The people lauding the UofC like it's some sort or Harvard need to wake up. In the real world, both MRC and UofC are so low down the scale that having a degree from either will give you zero "prestige" when you go looking for a job.

OFcourse MRC would treat their students different.
did you get treated the same in high school as you did in elementary?...probably not.
Different institutions will treat their students differently..which goes back to class sizes and one on one attention.
When you have that attention from the prof your more likely to do way better in something if you were forced to learn on your own.

If anyone remembers being on the verge of entering a post secondary educational institution and being told countless times that there will be no one there to hold your hand anymore...That is a major aspect of this debate.
If you want to be babied and guided in absolutely everything you do than be my guest but there is a lesser chance that you will be able to work on your own or progress in life on your own.
University (as well as bishop carrol :rofl:) exist to create the sense of independancy that you need to survive and to properly manipulate situations that you may encounter on your better behalf.
If someone is always there to hold your hand and know the outcome than we would get absolutely no where in life.

Street_Soldier
01-12-2007, 07:45 PM
I've taken computer classes at both schools. The main difference between the programs is mainly the expectation they have for the students. Mount Royal has great teachers that I would say really care for the students. At the U the teachers dont give a shit (well from the majority I ve had). They make you do everything yourself. Which isnt a bad thing. The point i m trying to make is at the University you will have to be self reliant. There will be no one there to hold your hand and walk you through the learning. At the college they kinda keep you on a leash. They keep tabs on students, and make sure you go to class (kinda like high school). This example may not be so evident in other faculties but its very obvious in computers.

The main purpose of getting a degree is not really to learn stuff its to teach you how to learn for yourself at a faster rate. So I would have to say the University does a better job of this. On the other hand there is no doubt in my mind that your money is going a lot further at MRC. These findings are from my experiences in computers I cant say its true for every other faculty.

Euro///Tuned
01-12-2007, 08:01 PM

They didn't just pick a different CAMPUS. They went to COLLEGE and not UNIVERSITY. They will receive a DIPLOMA not a DEGREE.

I too went to both campus' and Mt. Royal was more of an extended high school then anything else. While U of C does suck in many ways (and there are lots) its simply in a different league then Mt. Royal. However now that they offer degrees it will be a new story.

But some of comments in here are absolutely ridiculous. Like Teggy's. HAHAHA honestly you decided that getting a general business diploma would get you further then a Bachelor of Commerce degree? WOW! You will get far in the business world with that type of reasoning. Good choice.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

andyg16
01-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Only if they offered the engineering degree at mrc instead of just the university transfer program that would be hype and it would make life much easier

msommers
01-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Interesting to see the perspective shift from the students that have transfered from:

MRC--> University

University --> MRC

If MRC does become a university, I think it's fair to say that the class sizes won't be 40-50 students anymore for one. Two, profs are still going to be willing to help but certainly not monitor your every step like it sounds from the others here.

As far as I'm concerned, Teggy has lost all credibility.

From most of the posters thus far, I think I was definitely fair to mention at the very beginning of this thread that MRC is like high school, both socially and academically.

Bottom line, as it sits, MRC is a college and U of C is a university. When/if MRC becomes a university, it will only be then when we can fairly compare them. As of now, it's really irrelevant.

cressida_pimpin
01-13-2007, 12:25 AM
I talked to David Allwright who is on the board for the the Bissett School of Business. He said there is a 0.5% chance that Mt. Royal won't get approved for university status. The proposal has passed nearly all the requirements and is now just getting approved by quality council. Degrees may not appear as early as September 2007 but all the classes will be there to take so by the time I'm finished the 20 remaining courses, I can graduate from there. That being said, the final decision will be realesed this May as to whether its a NO or GO.

Not quite sure how buddy a few posts back got student of the term when I know people, myself included who recieved a higher full-time GPA than that.

PaleRider
01-13-2007, 04:08 PM

.............The people lauding the UofC like it's some sort or Harvard need to wake up. In the real world, both MRC and UofC are so low down the scale that having a degree from either will give you zero "prestige" when you go looking for a job.

:thumbsup:

Teggy
01-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Interesting to see the perspective shift from the students that have transfered from:

MRC--> University

University --> MRC

If MRC does become a university, I think it's fair to say that the class sizes won't be 40-50 students anymore for one. Two, profs are still going to be willing to help but certainly not monitor your every step like it sounds from the others here.

As far as I'm concerned, Teggy has lost all credibility.

From most of the posters thus far, I think I was definitely fair to mention at the very beginning of this thread that MRC is like high school, both socially and academically.

Bottom line, as it sits, MRC is a college and U of C is a university. When/if MRC becomes a university, it will only be then when we can fairly compare them. As of now, it's really irrelevant. \

lol, like i'm concerned whether or not you approve of me.
Remember, your just a student, not GOD.

LuxCars
01-14-2007, 12:40 PM
\

lol, like i'm concerned whether or not you approve of me.
Remember, your just a student, not GOD.

Yes, but he is no ordinary student...he is a student in university..

hahahahahah, jk:nut:

Teggy
01-14-2007, 01:11 PM

Yes, but he is no ordinary student...he is a student in university..

hahahahahah, jk:nut:

yes, but in oneof the worst universities in the country

lol jk:nut:

thrasher22
01-14-2007, 02:26 PM
Man, some of you guys better be careful getting off your high horse... it'll be a long way down. :rolleyes:

Mt Royal becomeing a university will allow U to focus MORE on research, while more students can get their bachelor degrees at MRC. I don't see the downside to this?

I wouldn't say either school is better than the other, they're different and for good reason. If you want to study theory, go to U of C, if you want career training, go to SAIT, if you want a mix of the two, go to MRC. U of C offers different programs, you can't take geophysics or kinesiology at Mt Royal, but you can't take Public Relations or any slightly specific comm program at U of C. I didnt' even apply for U of C because they didn't offer anything I wanted to take, does that mean I'm too dumb to get in or I made a bad choice? I could have gotten into either.

And Mt Royal isn't easier, of course it depends on what you take. I do far more hw than most of my friends at U of C, and likewise, usually get better grades.

Calgary is a rapidly growing city, shouldn't the education system grow with it?

blainer
01-14-2007, 03:09 PM
not to be random or anything, but my current school st. mary's hasnt been mentioned yet which i find kinda odd. im currently in 1st year bio sciences with plans to tranfer after 2nd year to u of C or A thanks to the ACAT. Depending on how things work out goin to the states for dentistry is another option since ill have all of my prereqs from st. mary's. I dont wanna say that dentistry after second is a definate because that is just being unrealistic.

so msommers ill be awaitin ur blast of st. mary's too. because i get the feeling that u think u of c coarses are just so superior to everyone elses

p.s just incase if anyone is wonderin my coarses last term were bio231, chem 201, phys211, eng 200, and math249.

Super_Geo
01-14-2007, 03:17 PM
And i dont wear panties :rofl: (thought id try and throw in a little humour to lighten up the mood, but this is a very debatable topic)

So the topic of whether or not you wear panties is up for debate? ;)

LuxCars
01-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Blainer...
1. its courses not coarses
2. why would you even bring st.mary's into this, all your doing is asking someone to talk about st.mary's so you can defend it.

Anyone know how many people are enrolled at mt.royal as opposed to UofC?

LuxCars
01-14-2007, 03:24 PM

So the topic of whether or not you wear panties is up for debate? ;)

:rofl: