PDA

View Full Version : a bit off topic: anyone with experience with Devry?

Dragon X
05-19-2003, 11:26 AM
i know this is off topic but i need some serious suggestions and input. I had and interview at Devry and i paid my 85 bucks plus another 85 bucks for my wife who also had the interview. the money was for a acceptance test and is set for june 20th. my co-workers have just told me that Devry is a rip off and brought of several good points like "dont you find it weird that devry came to you and not you to devry?" and SAIT accepts 3000 of 9000+ applicants a year and devry took you in just like that". they also say that devry isnt that well known and a job future isnt gonna be that great. this course is going tocost me like 16 grand a year, is Devry really worth it? do they really get your career going just 120 days after you graduate?

im taking electronics an computer technology and hoping to go into computer hardware repair/troubleshooting, this sounds right to me but what really bothers me is my wife wants to go into accounting and she has been placed in a buisiness operations and buisiness information systems coarse, AT a institute of technology (they claim that they are now a university). I think she should go to SAIT for her coarse.

Anyway anyone know what the deal is with devry. if we both attend and this turns out bogus ill be stuck with a 60 grand loan and a dead end career.

redec
05-19-2003, 11:41 AM
your co-workers are correct, devry is a joke. Whenever we get a resume in that has 'devry' on it, it goes directly into the trash...you could go spend a couple hundred buck on books, read then over a week or 2, and come out with a better education than the one you recieve at devry, seriously. To top it off, any of the courses you take at devry are not transferable to any other school. No other college/university recognize devry classes as being worth anything....that's gotta tell you something :P

Hakkola
05-19-2003, 11:58 AM
I heard it's ok if you're looking for a job in the u.s??? I dunno, that was awhile ago. From what I hear now Devry is a joke, and their students always get made fun of because of it.

Luke 96 T/A
05-19-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by redec
your co-workers are correct, devry is a joke. Whenever we get a resume in that has 'devry' on it, it goes directly into the trash...you could go spend a couple hundred buck on books, read then over a week or 2, and come out with a better education than the one you recieve at devry, seriously. To top it off, any of the courses you take at devry are not transferable to any other school. No other college/university recognize devry classes as being worth anything....that's gotta tell you something :P

I've heard the same from a VP of a computer consulting company (tech/network support).. Any resume with Devry on it is filtered to the garbage...
SAIT would probably be a much better choice..
(on the other hand, I know someone with a degree in electrical engineering from SAIT, and some similar degree from Devry... He's unemployed and has been for a year ;-))

Khyron
05-19-2003, 01:22 PM
We also ignore Devry applications. Harsh I know - but as far as I'm concerned you are basically paying 40+ grand for the paper, regardless of what you learnt.

Khyron

ExitSpeed
05-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Since when does SAIT give degrees in Electrical Engineering?

Weapon_R
05-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Devry has been given provincial power to grant degrees in Alberta, but the damage has already been done in the working force. Graduates of Devry have failed to impress employers, and many (as seen above) "filter" Devry graduates straight to the recycling bin.

Devry is a private school, and charges a LOT of money for the degree. Look to Sait for a computer course that is far better recognized in this city, and direct your wife towards an accounting course in either Sait, Mount Royal, or U of C.

kaput
05-19-2003, 02:49 PM

mwmhong
05-19-2003, 06:00 PM
"We're serious about your success" -DeVry

VWhooligan
05-19-2003, 06:40 PM
I went to DeVry for a year, it was a joke. Going to Mount Royal now. The teachers were horrible, and some classes were just stupidly easy.

4wheeldrift
05-19-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong
"We're serious about your success" -DeVry We're serious about emptying your wallet, for the next 20 or so years. If you aren't successful after that, its probably because you suck (because lord knows we would never admit that we do) ;)

Zephyr
05-19-2003, 07:24 PM
well great, there goes my chance. lol j/k

but those commercials here in the states seem soooo convincing! television doesn't lie! hes my best friend! noooooooo!

there is a load of devry campuses here too...i heard it can get u a good job in the states...

EvilNeon
05-19-2003, 07:48 PM
I have worked for two companies now with standing policies of not hiring DeVry grads unless they are backed with 10+ years of relevant experience.

When I did hiring I could spot a DeVry resume without looking at their education - I think they give out resume templates.

Sound out the acronym for this..

D eVry
I nstitute
of
T echnology
S tudent

Any school that hires a sales force is not worth going to.

Ajay
05-19-2003, 11:00 PM
I went to DeVry for two semesters. I was doing Computer Information Systems but withdrew after my second semester.

Reason I withdrew is cause I realized that computer programming was definetly not for me and decided it would be a good idea to get out when I did and not waste any more time or money.

I personally am not a big fan of DeVry but I did have some bad experiences with them. DeVry is accredited now by Alberta Education but all that basically means is they can grant degrees from DeVry Calgary. In the past you had to pay your ninth semester fees in US dollars and were awarded a degree from DeVry Phoenix. Really good if you want to go work in the US but out of all my buddies that graduated I only have one friend who works off and on in the US but he still works for a Calgary based company.

Even after they were accredited they still are a private school and would rip you a new asshole for tuition alone. I have a friend who graduated in March who just got a job with Telus as a customer service rep adding shit to people's home phone accounts. Not even in his field (Computer Information Systems) and for the amount he spent on tuition a waste. The boy seriously could have bought an entry level Benz for the amount he's in debt with tuition at DeVry. Also the fact I have other friends that work at Telus doing the same job and they have NO post secondary education.

I dunno...personally I think DeVry is a joke. If I was you computer hardware is what you're looking at getting into save yourself the cash and go to Sait. A tried and trusted school.

DeVry was a big mistake for me personally!

Light_Speed
05-19-2003, 11:16 PM
i went to devry for 1 semester and it was the biggest waste of 7Gs
the first semester is a scam because the classes have nothing to do with whatever your taking but as soon as the second semester start it is really hard
and u have u mantain a gpa of 2.0 and in devry thats a 70
if u get a 60 to 69% thats a D and a gpa of 1

Dragon X
05-19-2003, 11:17 PM
wow not one thing about devry that is good. im gonna call them up and see if i can get my wifes $85 and my $85 back. cant beleive i got scamed into this.

Altezza
05-20-2003, 01:14 AM
LOL, I never thought much about Devry, however the only 2 people I know with Devry degrees make about US$125k/yr and US$150k/yr. Kind of makes me think I wasted my time at University, haha.

Super_Geo
05-20-2003, 11:21 AM
How much more would it cost to take the course at the UofC? I'm sure you'd have a much better chance of finding a job afterwards if you went to one of the major institutions.

Davetronz
05-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
How much more would it cost to take the course at the UofC? I'm sure you'd have a much better chance of finding a job afterwards if you went to one of the major institutions.
U of C is the biggest joke evar. I am pretty sure they fall right behind devry..

redec
05-20-2003, 11:43 AM
UofC is lightyears ahead of devry...we've had a couple co-op students come work for us from UofC, and they're quite decent. I'm not sure if we got the pick of the litter or what, but they seemed quite adept.

B17a
05-20-2003, 11:47 AM

If you're relying on where your degree is from to get a job, you'll be in for a shock. I'm convinced now that it's 10% where you went to school and 90% YOU (personality, work ethic etc.) that determines your career.

As for the whole DeVry thing, I think the return you get on your education there does not justify the cost.

rage2
05-20-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by B17a
If you're relying on where your degree is from to get a job, you'll be in for a shock. I'm convinced now that it's 10% where you went to school and 90% YOU (personality, work ethic etc.) that determines your career.
Totally agree. I'm a high school drop out, and redec went to some hick town college that I've never heard of, and we both have great jobs.

Weapon_R
05-20-2003, 12:06 PM
How much more would it cost to take the course at the UofC?

It's actually about 1/2 the cost of DeVry

Originally posted by TurboDSM

U of C is the biggest joke evar. I am pretty sure they fall right behind devry..

Explain.

4wheeldrift
05-20-2003, 12:07 PM

If you're relying on where your degree is from to get a job, you'll be in for a shock. I'm convinced now that it's 10% where you went to school and 90% YOU (personality, work ethic etc.) that determines your career. Truer words have never been spoken.

redec
05-20-2003, 12:29 PM

As for the whole DeVry thing, I think the return you get on your education there does not justify the cost.

who you know plays a huge part in that also....but speaking from an employer standpoint, education means absolutly nothing....having some school on your resume will never help your chances of getting a job, but it can hurt (such as devry). I'm more likely to hire a person that only has a highschool diploma, than a person that went to university, (assuming they seem more or less equally skilled and motivated) because chances are, the highschool person learns fast, and obviously if they're looking for a computer job right out of highschool, they love working with computers. The majority of people that come out of universities, are the ones that heard "the computer field is prospering, and you can make good money"...so they took computers.....these are not the people you want working for you :P

Ben
05-20-2003, 12:50 PM
here is an old Devry discussion/rent thread. :P

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11817

Ajay
05-20-2003, 01:14 PM
I would tend to disagree with some of the statements made here. I think your education definetly get's your foot in the door. Nowdays it's tougher for a high school drop out to get a very sweet job compared to before. I have friends who's dad's dropped outta high school and they make big bling! I also have friends who have dropped outta high school and really the only opportunites open to them in todays job field is labour. You need specialized training for almost every other career field.

But I do agree that your personality is what get's you noticed by a potential employer. In one of my general management classes we had a chick come in and she put up a list of qualities that employers look for in a student. It was a list consisting of about 20 points and the first point was personality......the type of degree you had and gpa lingered around 10 and 11.

Education get's your foot in the door but it's up to you to get yourself a job. In my field I definetly don't think you can just get a job without having a post secondary education and if you do you MUST know somebody high up! But getting back to the point...DeVry is CRAP

D'z Nutz
05-20-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by redec
UofC is lightyears ahead of devry...we've had a couple co-op students come work for us from UofC, and they're quite decent. I'm not sure if we got the pick of the litter or what, but they seemed quite adept.

Since you happened to bring up co-op and we're on the topic of post secondary education, does completing an internship put a graduate at any greater advantage when looking for a job?

I ask because I'm debating whether or not to go for an internship. I'd like to hurry and complete school as soon as possible, but I'd hate to finish and not be able to find a job for a whole year when I could've just taken the internship. Any opinions?

B17a
05-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Since you happened to bring up co-op and we're on the topic of post secondary education, does completing an internship put a graduate at any greater advantage when looking for a job?

I ask because I'm debating whether or not to go for an internship. I'd like to hurry and complete school as soon as possible, but I'd hate to finish and not be able to find a job for a whole year when I could've just taken the internship. Any opinions?

I say yes. Although I hear getting internships in the tech/eng world these days is tough. But I think its very valuable in that you get a) some work experience to help seperate you from the rest of the pack and b) more importantly, you're basically in an on-the-job interview situtaion in that they can assess your skills and merit on the job which should make for an easy rehire when you're done. Assuming you want to go back. I can't think of any cons to doing an internship.

Spawn
05-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by rage2

redec went to some hick town college that I've never heard of, and we both have great jobs.

You mean he went to Medicine Hat College as well. :rofl:

MerfBall
05-20-2003, 02:08 PM

Internship/Co-op gets you work experience in your given field which is definitely a bonus when you finish up and look for work. Also, it helps you make those contacts with old co-workers, managers, etc. which is also helpful when you finish

Out of all the friends that have graduated every single person that did internship is currently working for the company that they interned with. Hell they got offers even before they finished school.

I know one of the only ways to get into my company as a new grad is if you were formerly an intern. Otherwise you can pretty much forget it unless you have 5+ years of experience or are REALLY lucky.

So, yes do intern if you can you won't regret it.

kaput
05-20-2003, 02:15 PM

B17a
05-20-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by kaput

As far as I know, everyone in engineering at U of C has the option to go on internship if they want to. It's just a matter of choice.

Yeah but actually finding an internship job has been challenging, I think as long as you have the marks or whatever you qualify.

szw
05-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by kaput

As far as I know, everyone in engineering at U of C has the option to go on internship if they want to. It's just a matter of choice.

Almost any marks can qualify, but with a lower GPA, it will be tough finding a good job quickly.

I want to do internship, but my GPA is low I'm pretty worried. (I'm in electrical engg U of C)

I do however have a guaranteed job at jabil in malaysia with family...I'm either going there to work this summer or next. I wonder if I can use that as internship. anyone know?

max_boost
05-20-2003, 02:54 PM
You guys forgot to mention, looks matter too......charm, a nice smile, dress for success etc. These elements combined with an outgoing personality will increase your chances to landing any job.....

And rage/redec/bol, not everyone can be like you guys!!! haha

B17a
05-20-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
You guys forgot to mention, looks matter too......charm, a nice smile, dress for success etc.

Sounds like what you're really trying to say is if you're a chick, dress like a dime store hoe and you'll get any job you want!! :rofl: :rofl:

Khyron
05-21-2003, 12:58 AM
Just to be clear - having secondary education helps get you past the resume screens. I don't know where you work, but 95% of the companies are hardly going to hire a high school dropout to deal with confidential computer stuff.

If anything, getting "insert any degree" means you can learn and can work for a goal over several years. If you think you stand an equal or better chance with just high school ( or not even) you're on crack. The only exception would be artistic talent, such as graphics design, modeling or animation.

A 4 year university course is far less likely to have the "Shoe salesmen who think computers will make them rich" left in the pool than a 2 year program anywhere else. This is the main reason why those get-a-paper-in-9-months are such BS. You have to pay your dues. There are many weeder courses in pretty much any degree.

And take internship. Work experience means everything. I didn't, my buddy did. It took me a year of working entry level crap before I started catching up to his job level. He still makes more $$.

Khyron

accordboi_02
05-21-2003, 02:06 AM
Dude, go to UofC and get a REAL degree. I have a friend who just convocated in Dec, and he has a job for the WHO in Geneva Switzerland now, all because of his education.
I knew a DeVry graduate - he was a tech for me at the IBM Store when it was still in business - 'nuff said.
If you just want to do computer repairs and shit, just get your A+ cert. and you're good to go, and if you really want to make your resume for a tech position look good, get your MCSC as well, but I personally think its a ripoff. Fucking Microsoft.
Get your g/f to take her BComm through UofC; she can do transfer through SAIT too, I think that will save some $$$.

redec
05-21-2003, 10:01 AM

absolutly...take the internship

redec
05-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by accordboi_02
...but I personally think its a ripoff. Fucking Microsoft.

:werd:

sml
05-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Luke 96 T/A

(on the other hand, I know someone with a degree in electrical engineering from SAIT, and some similar degree from Devry... He's unemployed and has been for a year ;-))

Just to clarify, I don't believe SAIT has an accredited/recognized "Engineering" program eventhough they claim they do. All accredited Engineering programs are from university level institutions. SAIT might have what we call an "Engineering Technology" degree, which is NOT the same as an Engineering degree. Technologists vs Engineers... BIG difference...

MerfBall
05-21-2003, 04:17 PM
A practicing engineer usually has an iron ring on the right pinkey and pays APEGGA every year :D

4wheeldrift
05-22-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by sml

Just to clarify, I don't believe SAIT has an accredited/recognized "Engineering" program eventhough they claim they do. All accredited Engineering programs are from university level institutions. SAIT might have what we call an "Engineering Technology" degree, which is NOT the same as an Engineering degree. Technologists vs Engineers... BIG difference... We're talking McD managers vs Computer consultants!!! :rofl: Working as a technologist for a consulting engineering firm, I don't think you could be more wrong. Functionally, the only difference between an engineer and a technologist (at least in my field) is an engineer can sign and stamp drawings, and when he does that its his ass on the line if anything goes wrong down the road. I'm every bit as capable of designing a foundation or a structure as an engineer, I just can't seal the drawings.

sml
05-22-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by MerfBall
A practicing engineer usually has an iron ring on the right pinkey and pays APEGGA every year :D

Or left pinkey depending on which one's your working hand. And car/house insurance discounts more than offset the APEGGA fees... :thumbsup:

sml
05-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Working as a technologist for a consulting engineering firm, I don't think you could be more wrong. Functionally, the only difference between an engineer and a technologist (at least in my field) is an engineer can sign and stamp drawings, and when he does that its his ass on the line if anything goes wrong down the road. I'm every bit as capable of designing a foundation or a structure as an engineer, I just can't seal the drawings.

No doubt that there are many very capable technologists out there. My company is about 30/70 technologists/engineers. Technologists play a very important role and so does Engineers. There are many times where a Technologist's work is crossed with an Engineer's work and that happens in many other fields. But the fact that there are tasks that only Engineers can do give them a special status. The ability to approve and sign drawings/designs give the customer a guarranteed stamp of approval that someone has done their work correctly and verified by a recognized professional. Yes, the Engineer's butt's on the line and that's why they are that much more careful in their work. If they screw up, their reputation's on the line and that's why people trust their work. Being a professional in any field: Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, Engineers, etc are guaranteed that the individual is very serious about their work and their quality of work because all their reputation's on the line if they screw up. Why do you think only professionals can sign passports? Because they are trusted indivduals who have to have taken an ethics exam in order to become an accredited member. On a side note, think of the relationship between Technologists/Engineers similiar to the relationship between Nurses/Doctors or Dental Hygenist/Dentists... Nurses have similiar knowledge as doctors, they go through similiar training in school and they do have a very good knowledge of medicine and treating patients. BUT, they are NOT Doctors. They did not go through 6 yrs of medical school. They do not have a PhD in medicine. They are not recognized professionals. Of course all of the above are my opinions only. I don't mean to flame, but I have a right to express my thoughts and if you do not agree with my thinking, I am open to listening in on your point of view.

ExitSpeed
05-22-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by MerfBall

So what? ASET now offer rings for technologists and plus a registered tech has to pay dues to ASET every year as well.

4wheeldrift
05-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by sml

No doubt that there are many very capable technologists out there. My company is about 30/70 technologists/engineers. Technologists play a very important role and so does Engineers. There are many times where a Technologist's work is crossed with an Engineer's work and that happens in many other fields. But the fact that there are tasks that only Engineers can do give them a special status. The ability to approve and sign drawings/designs give the customer a guarranteed stamp of approval that someone has done their work correctly and verified by a recognized professional. Yes, the Engineer's butt's on the line and that's why they are that much more careful in their work. If they screw up, their reputation's on the line and that's why people trust their work. Being a professional in any field: Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, Engineers, etc are guaranteed that the individual is very serious about their work and their quality of work because all their reputation's on the line if they screw up. Why do you think only professionals can sign passports? Because they are trusted indivduals who have to have taken an ethics exam in order to become an accredited member. On a side note, think of the relationship between Technologists/Engineers similiar to the relationship between Nurses/Doctors or Dental Hygenist/Dentists... Nurses have similiar knowledge as doctors, they go through similiar training in school and they do have a very good knowledge of medicine and treating patients. BUT, they are NOT Doctors. They did not go through 6 yrs of medical school. They do not have a PhD in medicine. They are not recognized professionals. Of course all of the above are my opinions only. I don't mean to flame, but I have a right to express my thoughts and if you do not agree with my thinking, I am open to listening in on your point of view. I don't feel you are flaming me, this is remaining an intelligent, mature discussion (so far, at any rate). We'll see how things go if anyone else puts in their 2 pesos.

But there are similar organizations that accredit technologists too, and as of 2002 it was possible for a technologist who had taken the appropriate exams to earn an engineers seal, (Registered Professional Technologist, or RPT status). Just like there is special legeslation that gives engineers their status, there is similar legislation that gives technologists their status as well, and members of a provincial organization like ASET are recognized as professionals both in this province and throughout Canada because I have met the nationally and provincially defined standards for technologists. When I go for my C.E.T. status (which I have to do this year), I have to take an ethics exam, as well as tests on my knowledge of various engineering related subjects, just like an engineer does. There are a lot of similiarities between the two designations, and both can peacefully co-exist in the workplace. Just because I don't have a degree doesn't make me any less of a professional than an engineer, especially after I have gone through the required hoops that ASET requires, same as an engineer does with APEGGA, nor does it make me any less capable of performing similar tasks. I have to be every bit as serious about my work as an engineer does, because ultimately it is my ass on the line too. If the quality of the work is crap and my initials are on the drawing or the design is improper, I can guarantee you word will get around, and I will have trouble getting another job as a technologist. The engineering community is just too small for someone to be a total screw-up and still be able to stay employed. I might not be on the hook for the screw up monetarily, like an engineer could be, but my reputation is very much dangling there right along side the guy who's seal is on my drawing or my design.

All IMO, YMMV, and so on and so forth of course ;)

egmike
05-22-2003, 02:31 PM
I went to devry for 3 semesters, I hated it, I ended up finishing up at SAIT for a fraction of the cost. A freind of mine who finished @ devry makes 10-12 G's less than I do. Devry is ASS:thumbsdow

Weapon_R
05-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
All IMO, YMMV, and so on and so forth of course ;)

And i'm still left to wonder what YMMV stands for :)

Super_Geo
05-22-2003, 03:56 PM
sml and 4wheeldrift, those are some well thought out points.

Here's the thing though: While there are certain areas where technologists have the same or similar groundings as an engineer, there are still many areas familiar to engineers that will be foreign to technoligists. I'm currently in engineering physics, and it's a pretty tough 4 year program. This isn't supposed to sound arrogant, but I don't think that someone who went to Sait or DeVry can learn the same thing in 2 years. First there's the length, and second the selection process.

4wheeldrift
05-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

And i'm still left to wonder what YMMV stands for :) Your Mileage May Vary :D